• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Final Frontier (An Alaska Trip Report - UPDATED 4/25)

Huh. That’s weird. I thought I had an unlimited data plan.
Ruh, roh...
And... While I'm a little surprised, I'm not completely.

When we lived in the North, (but still in Manitoba) we bought a TV and they said "Free shipping Province-wide!"
I asked if they were sure? "Yep!"
When they found out the only way up to where we were living was by rail or air... they changed their ad. (But honored it. They only lost around $100 on the deal.)
This is not helpful when you’re relying on your phone running Google Maps while you drive long distances in an unfamiliar place. Suddenly I was without any technological help.
Pro tip: In case you didn't know, you can search for directions while you have wifi/data and your phone will continue to work to destination with no coverage at all.
I presume it's with accelerometers... or magic. I don't know. I just know it works.
As it turned out, those big ads trumpeting NATIONWIDE 5G SERVICE AND UNLIMITED DATA COAST TO COAST aren’t entirely accurate. It’s true for the most part in the lower 48 states, save for those remote areas with no cell service. But Alaska seems to be the wild west in terms of the cell network. Our carrier didn’t own its own coverage there—they lease it from whoever owns the cell towers. And so that means that our coverage wasn’t unlimited, it was whatever our carrier negotiated for that region. Which I guess wasn’t very much.
Yeah... like I said. Not surprised. "Nationwide" does not mean "North"... in either of our countries.
So, for the rest of the trip I was suddenly going to be living several years in the past, when I had an iPod Touch and prayed any place I visited had free wi-fi.
::yes::
I do that every trip to the US, actually. I don't pay extra for data coverage. I do, however, use my GPS on road trips. (Not my phone, but an actual GPS-only device.)
Good thing Alaska only has 10 major roads or so
"or so"...
This is the Alaska Pipeline Viewing Point
Cool!
, it’s roughly 800 miles long and carries an average of 1.8 million barrels of oil a day (which is much lower than its actual capacity as the demand for oil has decreased over the decades).
Huh. Still that's a lot of oil.
For such a valuable asset, it’s a bit surprising that you can just walk right up underneath it and touch it.
Well, great! You just tipped off all the terrorists that read Disney TRs!!!
Now if/when I go, it'll be all fenced off with constant patrols of machine-gun toting soldiers.
If you look closely at the photo, you can see an additional aspect of the design: the pipe itself is sitting on a little support structure that slides on a rail. This was added along with a zig-zag design in order to make the pipeline as earthquake-proof as possible. It allows some flexibility in case, you know, the ground starts moving.
Huh.
I guess living where I do, where it's not prone to earthquakes, that hadn't occurred to me. I thought it had something to do with the extremes of temperature. Like expansion joints on bridges.
Nearby was a display of two “pigs”, both the original design and the one currently in use. These are cylinders that are sent down the pipe with the purpose of cleaning the sludge that builds up along the walls.
I've actually heard of those. I think from a James Bond movie? Maybe?
They’re called pigs because the sound they make scraping the walls while traveling the length of the pipeline resembles the squeal of a pig.
Ok, fine, I made that up. I have no idea.
And I 100% bought that explanation.

So I googled it... and you're right!!

"Early pigs were made from materials such as straw, barbed wire and leather and made a squealing sound while traveling through the pipes – for this reason, they were eventually called “pigs”."

This is the road made famous by Ice Road Truckers.
Cool!
The other seasons were filmed near where I live.
From the viewpoint, we were less than 200 miles from the Arctic Circle. All it would have taken is violating the rental car agreement and subjecting ourselves to a remote road with no services and no rescue and constant showers of gravel from trucks going 70 mph as they passed us.
And you didn't do it???

Slacker.
It didn’t take long to walk through, but we all thought the exhibits were really well done. Terrific for a free information center—it felt like they put real time and effort into making them informative and attractive.

Of course, I didn’t take any photos.
:sad2:

What kind of a TR is this?

Oh... like mine. :rolleyes1
David is in the middle of the college application process at the moment, so we offered to try and give him the tour, but he seemed content with seeing it from the car. Kids these days. Where’s the ambition?
Slacker. Like his father. Hmpf.

Actually, doing college in Alaska might be pretty interesting.
One thing you need to know about me: I prefer my history to be more of the “big picture” variety. Unless it’s a really great story, just give me the broad overview. Who won the battle? Why was it important? I don’t really care who the brigadier general in charge of the 8th cavalry was at the time.
Formed in 1866, the first commanding officer was actually Colonel Gregg. Also in command were Lieutenant Colonel... oh... wait... you said BIG picture.

nevermind.
The exhibits at the museum appeared to not have been updated since the early 1970’s.
Knowing the north... this surprises me not at all.
Old, faded displays gave great detail in tiny print about the ancient animals that roamed the land, their skeletons and diets and lifespans, the early natives that settled it, the tools they used and how they cooked their meals and made tents and canoes, etc.
Actually, I'd be very curious to know what tools those animals used and how they cooked their meals, and made tents and canoes. They sound almost human!

:duck:
If you want to say I’m uncultured and have no appreciation for historical detail, that’s totally fair.
You are uncultured and have no appreciation for historical detail.

Hey! That was fun! What else can we say about you??
I did appreciate the attention to detail in this one, though.

AM-JKLUTuDpDP9atzj8bu4uralpQYkG4wfnc5hqz1ohOUctVLjzWcOdkpp2KVuXFsWMOJhr3K08gG2kY4FV_2aaVEiMjijvizzCa_kpA-Gf3Do88URDNnXKjCjkUWm9q1kyowsoTwZ5wjG57vPCyyiw7SvRzFw=w1158-h868-no
:lmao:

Totally necessary.
The museum did have an impressive humpback whale skeleton on display in the lobby.
That is impressive. ::yes::
And what art gallery wouldn’t be complete without its own lavishly decorated outhouse?

AM-JKLV4c_aKaALzwv8iETr97FEK59pN5NKDgV0cS-JZxJmtqmnP5bftNGVuUSqUh23A4Mr2V11ldTMpedpRBg69Xavk_WSTZaRVbOGatnWvJf4VtRLrOX66x9qvv2jjPVNe9QkfaDVqe7OnNfUAIk2KyfhBLQ=w489-h868-no
And reading! :lmao: Perfect!!
We ate our PB&J for lunch
yusss...
We even got to see the Alaska Railroad arrive with tourists from Anchorage.
Is that the terminus? Or does it go farther?
Dave, Andrew and I went down to check it out, mostly because we can’t resist the siren call of watching trains.
When we got back to the parking lot, we were starting to get hungry for dinner. So was this squirrel, apparently, since he was making a meal of all the bug guts on the front of our rental.
For a second there, I thought you were going to tell us that you ate the squirrel.
You might have heard horror stories about the mosquitoes and other bugs in Alaska, but I can say we generally didn’t find them too bad.
Not surprised.
I've lived in the North (not quite that far, but still) and only had a few days where they've been bad.
There are no big chain hotels anywhere near it, which is not what you’d expect given that it’s one of the biggest tourist attractions in Alaska.
Huh. But then again... Not surprised. It's just... different up there.
After having spent two nights there, it was perfectly adequate. We got clean beds and a bathroom,
Good enough. ::yes::
Breakfast was some fruit, yogurt, and a hard-boiled egg placed in our fridge the night before
Um... sparce.
Just a mile away was the 49th State Brewing Company restaurant, where we had a reservation for dinner. Word to the wise: make sure you make a reservation here if you want to go. It’s the only place around for miles, and it’s good—so it’s extremely popular.
Now that I wasn't expecting. That you'd need a reservation!
They had a little homage to Into The Wild set up outside the restaurant.
I have seen the movie. And also knew they recently moved the bus to stop tourists from going looking for it and... you know... dying.
I also see on the sign post that they list the house that you can see Russia from.

:rolleyes1
I don’t want to brag, but we absolutely destroyed them.
:laughing:
After a while, we began to wonder what was taking so long. I went back to the desk to ask about our table, and they said they’d sent the text 15 minutes ago. By now, they’d given the table away.
I knew it!!! I was so sure that would happen!
I pulled out my phone and saw no text message. But then I saw the problem—No Service.

That might be a flaw in the whole text message system.
Maybe just a little. Oy. :sad2:

But... pretty funny.
I went for the Mt. Magnificent burger, which featured bacon, cheese, smashed potatoes, crispy onions and BBQ sauce. It proved to be an excellent choice. Extra points for the mini Alaska flag.
:thumbsup2
I can’t quite give it a Homer award, but I would absolutely go back for that burger.
Okay. No to flatbread, yes to burger. Got it.
I’m sorry…but that is not a pie. That is quite clearly a cake.
Agreed.
Pie is “high ceiling, low floor”. The worst pies are flaming disasters. Sweet potato, coconut, banana cream. These are abominations. Draft day busts. Someone who never even makes it out of training camp.
Yes!!!
Coming Up Next: An 8-hour tour. An 8-hour tour.
Enough time for 2.67 tours on the Minnow!

Ruh, roh...
And... While I'm a little surprised, I'm not completely.

When we lived in the North, (but still in Manitoba) we bought a TV and they said "Free shipping Province-wide!"
I asked if they were sure? "Yep!"
When they found out the only way up to where we were living was by rail or air... they changed their ad. (But honored it. They only lost around $100 on the deal.)

D'oh. I can imagine that got somebody an angry meeting in a conference room.

Pro tip: In case you didn't know, you can search for directions while you have wifi/data and your phone will continue to work to destination with no coverage at all.
I presume it's with accelerometers... or magic. I don't know. I just know it works.

I have done that before, and it's been ok. The downside is that you can't change your mind or search for something at the spur of the moment (like, "hey, we need a bathroom" or a place to grab a snack or something).

Yeah... like I said. Not surprised. "Nationwide" does not mean "North"... in either of our countries.

It's just a different world up there!

I do that every trip to the US, actually. I don't pay extra for data coverage. I do, however, use my GPS on road trips. (Not my phone, but an actual GPS-only device.)

Makes sense. Those extra roaming fees can add up in a hurry. I have a GPS for the car as well, but I haven't used it in several years.

"or so"...

There's a bunch of tiny ones leading to homes/other outposts that may or may not be paved and maintained.

Huh. Still that's a lot of oil.

Well, great! You just tipped off all the terrorists that read Disney TRs!!!
Now if/when I go, it'll be all fenced off with constant patrols of machine-gun toting soldiers.

They don't have the budget to guard all 800 miles. It'll just be a handful of volunteers working every other Friday, just telling you to be careful around those things.

Huh.
I guess living where I do, where it's not prone to earthquakes, that hadn't occurred to me. I thought it had something to do with the extremes of temperature. Like expansion joints on bridges.

I'm sure that is a factor as well. When you spend this much money and have a product that valuable that depends on it, I'm sure you do everything you can to try and remove worst-case scenarios.

I've actually heard of those. I think from a James Bond movie? Maybe?

Dunno. I've seen them referenced when I've read about the pipeline before.

And I 100% bought that explanation.

So I googled it... and you're right!!

"Early pigs were made from materials such as straw, barbed wire and leather and made a squealing sound while traveling through the pipes – for this reason, they were eventually called “pigs”."

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! I was just trying to come up with something stupid (not much of a stretch for me).

Cool!
The other seasons were filmed near where I live.

That's such a different way of life. I can't imagine.

And you didn't do it???

Slacker.

I mean, is it really worth it if you can't go by dogsled?

What kind of a TR is this?

Oh... like mine. :rolleyes1

You get what you pay for, right?

Slacker. Like his father. Hmpf.

Actually, doing college in Alaska might be pretty interesting.

I can see where parts would be fascinating. I think we all agreed that we probably couldn't handle the winters up there, though. I would struggle with not seeing the sun for months.

Formed in 1866, the first commanding officer was actually Colonel Gregg. Also in command were Lieutenant Colonel... oh... wait... you said BIG picture.

nevermind.

Zzzzzzz....huh?

Knowing the north... this surprises me not at all.

I'm sure the budget is not high for renovations.

Actually, I'd be very curious to know what tools those animals used and how they cooked their meals, and made tents and canoes. They sound almost human!

:duck:

Missed the part where I mentioned the natives, huh? We have a skimmer! :laughing:

Although I mentioned the "natives that settled it", which in retrospect is a phrase that doesn't make any sense.

You are uncultured and have no appreciation for historical detail.

Hey! That was fun! What else can we say about you??

That I'm a scholar and a gentleman?

Totally necessary.

This is the only exhibit I took a photo of, so clearly I thought it was the best.

And reading! :lmao: Perfect!!

He did a great job posing for that one. A natural!

Is that the terminus? Or does it go farther?

No, it actually runs all the way from Seward up to Fairbanks.

For a second there, I thought you were going to tell us that you ate the squirrel.

Oh, not since I read they were high in cholesterol.

Not surprised.
I've lived in the North (not quite that far, but still) and only had a few days where they've been bad.

It seemed to me like the wind generally was enough of a defense against them.

Huh. But then again... Not surprised. It's just... different up there.

It's probably hard for a chain to invest resources when the tourist season is so short. We're talking 3-4 months generally speaking.

Um... sparce.

Yeah, we needed the Pop Tarts to supplement.

Now that I wasn't expecting. That you'd need a reservation!

It appeared to me that the place was the only game in town (the town of Healy, AK). And it appeared to be by far the most popular restaurant in the Denali area. They picked their location well. I only knew to get a reservation through reading Yelp reviews.

I have seen the movie. And also knew they recently moved the bus to stop tourists from going looking for it and... you know... dying.

Yeah, I read about that as well. This was a replica of the bus, but definitely easier to get to

I also see on the sign post that they list the house that you can see Russia from.

Sadly, that's one place I didn't get to visit. I would have enjoyed seeing another country! I bet the view is spectacular.

I knew it!!! I was so sure that would happen!

:furious:

Maybe just a little. Oy. :sad2:

But... pretty funny.

We were mostly hangry at that point, so we weren't laughing. But we couldn't really be angry, because they could show they had texted us at the appropriate time. Just circumstances beyond our control. They did a good job of getting us in as fast as they could.

Okay. No to flatbread, yes to burger. Got it.

Pretty much, yes.

Enough time for 2.67 tours on the Minnow!

Who could turn that down?

D'oh. I can imagine that got somebody an angry meeting in a conference room.
Nah. I bet we were the first and last people that did that.
I have done that before, and it's been ok. The downside is that you can't change your mind or search for something at the spur of the moment (like, "hey, we need a bathroom" or a place to grab a snack or something).
Yeah, there is that drawback. But at least you can get to where you originally wanted to go.
It's just a different world up there!
Very!
Makes sense. Those extra roaming fees can add up in a hurry. I have a GPS for the car as well, but I haven't used it in several years.
Oh? Why not?
They don't have the budget to guard all 800 miles. It'll just be a handful of volunteers working every other Friday, just telling you to be careful around those things.
Heh. I can just see it.
"Howdy! You folks need a hand? Let me get that for ya. Oof! What's in here? Bricks?"
"Dynamite and C4."
"Ha ha! Funny! But it is heavy!"
I'm sure that is a factor as well. When you spend this much money and have a product that valuable that depends on it, I'm sure you do everything you can to try and remove worst-case scenarios.
Definitely.
:rotfl2::rotfl2: Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! I was just trying to come up with something stupid (not much of a stretch for me).
That's such a different way of life. I can't imagine.
Yep.
I mean, is it really worth it if you can't go by dogsled?
Good point. ::yes::
I'm sure the budget is not high for renovations.
There's that... and... it's just a different mind-set.
Missed the part where I mentioned the natives, huh? We have a skimmer! :laughing:
Nope. Was more a (obviously poor) commentary on the grammar. You mentioned the natives... then the animals who... etc.
Nevermind.
That I'm a scholar and a gentleman?
I should have clarified "true" facts.
Oh, not since I read they were high in cholesterol.
It's probably hard for a chain to invest resources when the tourist season is so short. We're talking 3-4 months generally speaking.
Yeah. Where I lived, there were about... hmmm... 6-7 hotels? But in the winter, only a couple were open.
Sadly, that's one place I didn't get to visit. I would have enjoyed seeing another country! I bet the view is spectacular.
Who could turn that down?
The Professor...

Mary Ann

Ginger

The Howells....

And probably the crew, too.

Somewhere along the way, my cell phone chirped at me with an urgent text message. When I had a moment to check it, the message said that I had reached the end of my free data and would now be limited for the rest of the billing period.
That was the story of my life on my big road trip. I ran our early on and that was the Dawn of the Atlas. I can't tell you how glad I was to have had the foresight to order on before I left! (I don't have an unlimited plan, but I'd forgotten how much data navigation takes.)

But Alaska seems to be the wild west in terms of the cell network. Our carrier didn’t own its own coverage there—they lease it from whoever owns the cell towers.

Probably Russia.

So, for the rest of the trip I was suddenly going to be living several years in the past, when I had an iPod Touch and prayed any place I visited had free wi-fi. And I used (the horror!) paper maps.

I love me a paper map.

For such a valuable asset, it’s a bit surprising that you can just walk right up underneath it and touch it.

Yeah, that kinda shocks me too.

Ok, fine, I made that up. I have no idea.

And it appears you were right! <giggles a bit more>

The drives have to go slow due to the nature of the road, so it ends up taking 16-17 hours or so to go to the Arctic Circle and back.

Bet it looks exactly the same as 16 hours away too. Sure, there's something to say for "been there, touched it", but that's for things like, I dunno, 2-3 hours away.

I did appreciate the attention to detail in this one, though.

AM-JKLUTuDpDP9atzj8bu4uralpQYkG4wfnc5hqz1ohOUctVLjzWcOdkpp2KVuXFsWMOJhr3K08gG2kY4FV_2aaVEiMjijvizzCa_kpA-Gf3Do88URDNnXKjCjkUWm9q1kyowsoTwZ5wjG57vPCyyiw7SvRzFw=w1158-h868-no

:lmao:Nice touch.

Dave, Andrew and I went down to check it out, mostly because we can’t resist the siren call of watching trains.

Pretty irresistible. Yes.

I don’t want to brag, but we absolutely destroyed them. I don’t know if it was the fact that they’d already visited the bar earlier or if my one and only gift in this world is tossing a bean bag with a repetitive motion, but it was over within five minutes.

I love that game, but love Ladder Balls quite a bit more. As for skills being correlative to drinks consumed....

I’m about a third of the way through Michener’s book on Alaska. I wish I’d found your trip report first. You cover a lot of stuff that he missed and are decidedly more succinct!

Your Glacier Bay was cruise was amazing. The wildlife, scenery, coffee . . .

I’m a dejected member of the 70% club. We talk about going back, but flights back to the east coast at the end of the trip are unfun.

Nah. I bet we were the first and last people that did that.

I'm sure they closed that loophole quickly!

Yeah, there is that drawback. But at least you can get to where you originally wanted to go.

Yep, certainly better than nothing.

Oh? Why not?

Well, I had the phone. Packing the GPS and the car mount was always a pain.

Heh. I can just see it.
"Howdy! You folks need a hand? Let me get that for ya. Oof! What's in here? Bricks?"
"Dynamite and C4."
"Ha ha! Funny! But it is heavy!"

:rotfl:

There's that... and... it's just a different mind-set.

I think the museums are only open part of the year too.

Nope. Was more a (obviously poor) commentary on the grammar. You mentioned the natives... then the animals who... etc.
Nevermind.

Well, nobody likes the grammar police anyway!

I should have clarified "true" facts.

I like my facts better than yours.

Good catch!

Yeah. Where I lived, there were about... hmmm... 6-7 hotels? But in the winter, only a couple were open.

It must be so hard to run a hotel during winter there.

The Professor...

Mary Ann

Ginger

The Howells....

And probably the crew, too.

What if we offered them some nice discounts?

That was the story of my life on my big road trip. I ran our early on and that was the Dawn of the Atlas. I can't tell you how glad I was to have had the foresight to order on before I left! (I don't have an unlimited plan, but I'd forgotten how much data navigation takes.)

I usually stop by the AAA office before a vacation and pick up a road map. Just in case.

Probably Russia.

Or China. One of those.

I love me a paper map.

Me too!

Yeah, that kinda shocks me too.

You'd think they would at least have a fence. Something.

And it appears you were right! <giggles a bit more>

I'm still flabbergasted by that! I truly had no idea!

Was too lazy to Google, too.

Bet it looks exactly the same as 16 hours away too. Sure, there's something to say for "been there, touched it", but that's for things like, I dunno, 2-3 hours away.

I would love to say I've crossed the Arctic Circle, but I wasn't sure it was worth all that. Certainly not at 6x the price.

:lmao:Nice touch.

Now that is art!

I love that game, but love Ladder Balls quite a bit more. As for skills being correlative to drinks consumed....

I've never played Ladder Balls, but I am shocked that alcohol could have an effect on your skill!

I’m about a third of the way through Michener’s book on Alaska. I wish I’d found your trip report first. You cover a lot of stuff that he missed and are decidedly more succinct!

Wow, that's high praise! Thanks!

Your Glacier Bay was cruise was amazing. The wildlife, scenery, coffee . . .

That was a pretty wonderful day. Probably my favorite.

I’m a dejected member of the 70% club. We talk about going back, but flights back to the east coast at the end of the trip are unfun.

Yeah, it seemed like there was no way to avoid a redeye flight back. Going west feels a lot easier than coming back east.

Well, I had the phone. Packing the GPS and the car mount was always a pain.
Ohhh... Thought you meant the built-in GPS.
Okay, I get it now. I guess I'm the same.
I think the museums are only open part of the year too.
That I believe.
Well, nobody likes the grammar police anyway!
I like my facts better than yours.
It must be so hard to run a hotel during winter there.
There were always winter transients. People coming up for repair work or Dentists or... etc.
What if we offered them some nice discounts?
Like unlimited coconut cream pie?

Or China. One of those.

LOL!! Oddly, that was the other place that came to mind.
You'd think they would at least have a fence. Something.
<refrains>
Was too lazy to Google, too.

Usually the case with me.
I would love to say I've crossed the Arctic Circle, but I wasn't sure it was worth all that. Certainly not at 6x the price.
I see 2 choices- a long drive or a lotta $. Neither is appealing.
I've never played Ladder Balls, but I am shocked that alcohol could have an effect on your skill!

Me? Certainly not. Others? Perhaps. ;)

(kidding, although it can affect my nap taking skilz)
Only 1 thing worse: Banana Cream Pie. 🤢🤮

Hi! Quiet day today so I managed to catch up on this report. I'm not quoting all the various photos, but I have to say WOW!! Wow to all of them. Absolutely breathtaking! What an incredibly gorgeous part of the country. It's definitely on my "must do" list! I was an exchange student in Finland (a VERY long time ago ...), but yes, it definitely takes awhile to get used to the never-ending light in the summer. I think I slept a grand total of 11 hours in 3 months. LOL! Thankfully, there's also a lot of beautiful scenery there to make the sleep deprivation worthwhile.

I can't believe how fast your kids have grown up -- seems like they just grew up overnight since I was reading your old 2017 & 2018 trip reports two weeks ago. :lmao:Also, give your daughter a high 5 for me. We graphic designers are the coolest!

Last edited:

:rotfl2:Who needs them? I talk English good.

There were always winter transients. People coming up for repair work or Dentists or... etc.

People who drew the short straw? Ticked off their bosses?

Ex-UPbxN4TkPZzemf3_WL8QRY_SUbrGztANJzo2S6U1Qiv0yJkm9gP8fC2YY9BuehAXAITav-lyi01kQclQT1ScMPIX_Or3E4prGntWpiwtsEBDHRnAIKyRsf29m56gPLZRyt5OOXFUuo9IuvXPYQq0AruHhaJ18FlZDwaTg_90c3xkAYAD-tntvhykOPNcm1-OWzcGknu7wHTb5twq5GW4HqBzk7kfRDTb3Y9H1545BL01x9xWsLEOO8rmjEWzFgYGaGkdy6gZnR-wxPuyMmcd5T067T2rRjgVvXRZdX46W04NEOjvoWHJlG_akSwzaKRZuWckM5z38EoqRL4iyOWM06GGLs7cI8Qhw6NydKKJRl7FwazitTpcIePC2eE2yrsSJIAYVNwJnKHPT4o4lycUvXWz__EF2kMvEMG6IZv0Yucf5MEzsVUTSpj2jBDfNgqwxBqRbV6eSzF2Z_3-PoZ_y5nk2z51j3gPEUeboNxQnzVW1_XPNkqYWjbCCY2L9Le0Tsqmh62M3pb86YUTurxhPtE7D2xqOEU9vwZwr5jQub05A7DytJnt7RBhJ7VSXnX4CdcKeb9uQ3twKcSsh63Q3a-1P-bVq45Eo_7Nph2ZH2KPc9JJKPdZI93TvPnvegvQCq2XMmAcirbqsekkUOBN_eVQoUqo6_aOVWIfb3wBJ9rIlkh_EpB6YaDgxn5u7nlNP77c1cQe-PbzVMrs4h1w=w66-h34-no

LOL!! Oddly, that was the other place that came to mind.

Well, they own everything else, so...

I see 2 choices- a long drive or a lotta $. Neither is appealing.

Certainly not at this point. Maybe someday.

Me? Certainly not. Others? Perhaps. ;)

(kidding, although it can affect my nap taking skilz)

So many side effects to consider!

Only 1 thing worse: Banana Cream Pie. 🤢🤮

They're both equally inedible to me. I can eat a regular banana just fine, take it or leave it. But I don't want bananas anywhere near my dessert.

Well, not worse for me... but definitely not good!

Agreed!

Sorry to hijack your thread, Mark, but I learned something about the South. Banana Pudding is a thing here.

I'm questioning my move altogether.

Just....why??????

Hi! Quiet day today so I managed to catch up on this report. I'm not quoting all the various photos, but I have to say WOW!! Wow to all of them. Absolutely breathtaking! What an incredibly gorgeous part of the country. It's definitely on my "must do" list! I was an exchange student in Finland (a VERY long time ago ...), but yes, it definitely takes awhile to get used to the never-ending light in the summer. I think I slept a grand total of 11 hours in 3 months. LOL! Thankfully, there's also a lot of beautiful scenery there to make the sleep deprivation worthwhile.

:welcome: Thanks for chiming in!

Finland must have been quite the experience. I'd love to visit Scandinavia someday.

As for the daylight...we were thankful for all the blackout curtains in the hotels!

I can't believe how fast your kids have grown up -- seems like they just grew up overnight since I was reading your old 2017 & 2018 trip reports two weeks ago. :lmao:Also, give your daughter a high 5 for me. We graphic designers are the coolest!

It feels insanely fast to me! Like, we've been working so hard to raise them up and all of a sudden, they're leaving the house! I wasn't ready for that to happen!

Didn't know you were a graphic designer...Awesome!

It feels insanely fast to me! Like, we've been working so hard to raise them up and all of a sudden, they're leaving the house! I wasn't ready for that to happen!

Didn't know you were a graphic designer...Awesome!

Man, you're not kidding! My daughters are now 20 & 23. When my younger daughter was 3 years old, she watched through the glass as the animal care team did some procedure on an animal at the Conservation Station on her first trip to WDW. Her eyes lit up and the only career she has ever talked about was being an animal nurse at Animal Kingdom. She eventually learned they're called vet techs & she's now nearly finished in school to do just that. She's sent in her resume to the AK animal hospital as well as 3 other zoos/conservation centers for her major internship next semester. She can be standing there in her scrubs with a stethoscope around her neck, and I still see that 3 year old with blond curls pressed up against the glass, mouth hanging open, eyes bright with excitement. 🥰 That was kinda a long story to say, yeah, so fast!! But you've made some really incredible family memories. Good job, Dad!

And yes! Awesome mom, Disney fanatic, avid traveler and graphic designer for a professional theater. Everything you need to know about me in one sentence. hahahaha!!

Man, you're not kidding! My daughters are now 20 & 23. When my younger daughter was 3 years old, she watched through the glass as the animal care team did some procedure on an animal at the Conservation Station on her first trip to WDW. Her eyes lit up and the only career she has ever talked about was being an animal nurse at Animal Kingdom. She eventually learned they're called vet techs & she's now nearly finished in school to do just that. She's sent in her resume to the AK animal hospital as well as 3 other zoos/conservation centers for her major internship next semester. She can be standing there in her scrubs with a stethoscope around her neck, and I still see that 3 year old with blond curls pressed up against the glass, mouth hanging open, eyes bright with excitement.

You must be so proud! What a great story. I hope she always loves what she does.

And yes! Awesome mom, Disney fanatic, avid traveler and graphic designer for a professional theater. Everything you need to know about me in one sentence. hahahaha!!

My kind of person!

Chapter 7: Into The Wild

As I said before, if you want to see something in Alaska, you typically have to pay someone else to take you there. For most of the year, this is true in Denali National Park. Although the park is larger than the entire state of New Hampshire, there is only one road. It’s paved for 15 miles and then turns into a narrow dirt road extending for another 75 miles or so before reaching its endpoint at Wonder Lake. Visitors are welcome to drive their own vehicles on the first paved portion, but beyond that point you can only enter in one of three ways:
  • You ride on the park’s shuttle bus system (reservations recommended)
  • You pay a small fortune to a tour company
  • You win the lottery to drive your own car (this is only available part of the year)
Given my other choices were to either pay lots of money or risk the long odds of winning, I made reservations for the shuttle bus several months in advance, as soon as I had a good idea of our travel dates. They do sell some tickets on the day of the tour, but I wasn’t going to take any chances of being shut out for the one day we were there.

Normally, there are several options for bus tours in the park, but those were severely cut down due to COVID restrictions. Luckily, the tour we wanted remained on the books—a round trip drive to the Eielson Visitor Center and back.

This involved riding in a glorified school bus for 66 miles (one-way) along a rickety dirt road cut high into the side of mountains with no guardrail and barely enough room to pass any other buses coming the other direction. What could go wrong?

I booked the 7:00 a.m. bus tour for a few reasons. One, I wanted to have the best possible chance of seeing the mountains, and my experience is that typically humidity and clouds build up throughout the day, so the best chance of a clear view is earlier in the day. It’s not a foolproof idea, but I was just playing the odds. The same is generally true for wildlife sightings. Secondly, I was following the Rope Drop Always Works rule, which states that rope drop always works. And third, I didn’t want to get back late in the day and not be able to get into a restaurant anywhere.

We had breakfast in the hotel room (Pop Tarts and hotel room coffee, breakfast of champions) and then drove 10 miles to the park entrance. The bus depot is in a separate building away from the main visitor center campus. The bus depot is actually the first turn on the right after entering the park. We found a good parking space near the building (rope drop paying off already!) and went inside to check in.

By 6:45 a.m., we were all checked in and waiting outside in line for the bus. Our chariot arrived about ten minutes before departure time.

AM-JKLVW5Xb8YmvGuxVyCBEr_eeafCgmKXaeBAJR16eKmJriU0AnLAD5IgkC2dRnFf1twiW-hMmC93EbfMPnE5Pr49B4CF81UOI15CYwGbwR0j_PGJmjeTP3BnKqyjglvpOh65Vw75kq73o-SGBfnzD7hiT2bQ=w1168-h877-no

They got everyone checked in and reviewed all of the COVID rules for the trip (i.e. keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle and keep your mask on), and then we were off on our adventure.

The Rope Drop strategy paid off right away as we spotted a porcupine just two miles into the trip.

AM-JKLUmKdr-a_mi8AXME7JWyHoCGE07-ScYqqZBxr0FOfDFmux2_awBl5eBBHaKhTUjN9zCuv5yjGF4KMvkO_4kTTsWjvpO7zswun9kFEmR8RhISVU6Cl384z9dRrIqa7Eq0oLeZx7e-MxdNMzeE_WMKM1OFg=w1168-h876-no

The entire bus tour was to take 8.5 hours, which meant we’d be arriving back at the bus depot at approximately 3:30 p.m. The driver informed us that we’d be stopping for a break about every 1.5-2 hours or so along the way, depending on how often we stopped for wildlife sightings. And I was impressed at how well they stuck to that schedule, even with the many unplanned stops we did make.

The park does offer a narrated tour bus in addition to the regular shuttle like the one we took. The tour bus is much more expensive, but you’re paying for a guide to narrate the entire journey, giving you the history of the park as well as all sorts of information on the wildlife, plant life, and geology of Denali.

My advice: save the money and take the regular “transit” shuttle. The bus driver had her own microphone and happily narrated the whole trip for us anyway.

Also, there is no food or water inside the park. You must bring any snacks and drinks in with you, and of course take it all out when you leave. So if you didn't pack a lunch, you're gonna have a long day.

The first part of the trip was fairly uneventful. We passed the Savage River Campground and then entered the unpaved section of the road. The driver was obviously a veteran—she didn’t seem to slow down all that much.

Our first rest stop was at the Teklanika River. They had an observation area and bathrooms for all of us to use, which was awfully nice of them.

AM-JKLW-f89vbhq8A3mbmfYsREvpXjX7ni_CVkVgRJcsPO5w2oBlieR1tppPppSwHVcv97_lbc8urhG9vYOa6IrzrgW5xuiN0UllIDws3idVMJWyvXgK4FGxFsTbTTiext86QBK_URvVy9v9rU4tmzQtOv2-eg=w1314-h876-no

All of that silt in the waterway gets deposited via snowmelt and the movement of ice in the winters.

We continued on, and as we got closer to the mountain peaks the driver told us to look for small, white dots near the ridgelines, and asked us to call it out if we saw anything. No sooner had she said that than I raised my hand and called out some white dots near a mountain peak.

AM-JKLVCHXw6fDmByO6F5rCAEQS8NSFhKDhyBuz5wraJb13cUTusol450tgoTLvfbjQSuZ9mlS0pgWcDRE8zUUQxnNlrhOfK3flChTLJSmKXADSWCyixR68Y3klgTyHDK8GO2KXN7Q5X4yxvOEzg-eux2U2BWw=w1314-h876-no

These are Dall Sheep, an all-white bighorn sheep species that is native to northwestern Canada and Alaska. They typically live above the tree lines high on these mountain ranges, using the altitude and steep peaks as their main protection from predators.

Rounding another corner, we spotted a brown bear snacking on plants along a hillside. He looked like he was fattening up for the winter pretty well.

AM-JKLUvAxoSB7nffGBx9YdnAQZY0tKmCyFykG6WHzB4hKaKxdvDs-lXIdUqKMmp6qNxhUXPX-57tb5C7ws1FNrOyai2-sloaFanKvG7zlsa_CsuiIczsMq_qr8cJ2rLyLC_vpIUXTECRWBU0kiL7ntJhLL3qA=w1314-h876-no

Just over 40 miles into the journey, we approached Polychrome Pass, perhaps the most beautiful part of the drive. I imagine the colors show up even more on rare clear sunny days. Still, I found the scenery to be mesmerizing.

AM-JKLXGuPG7bkZsZa25VcScOrlNCo604CjqiFLJJs2EUnCBpTbZA-sJRyDpIZwGD5vwEHejMYPeQIlq6nAQ4aCItWgGH-mASAgJEyID8Ts9rA2PLakAwP_tB6IZL95tnUBCJV0pGvKv604RwSTEaDaPuvALCw=w1545-h870-no

This was also probably the narrowest and most dangerous part of the road. You can see it cut into the ridge on the right, hanging well above the valley. I’d say the road was wide enough for 1.5 lanes. And yes, we did end up having to pass another bus at one point, which was a bit hair-raising. Julie shut her eyes and white-knuckled it through the maneuver, but the driver was a pro and everything went smoothly.

Here’s a couple of buses on the road, just for scale:

AM-JKLXJ3KSqjbzBrnjc1NEfHE3oGZR4A1QkgENTNfEK7-f6h5q7FFiNejoyhgSnQ2i8BeaSHgXnbf_y3rKd7PBSIQxoDyI63e5TcZWQeSyta7SvEDBnY_8AhG6zAO3PIVsKOrqXRhfQdCRPE4rehNqezhljCQ=w1314-h876-no

Just around the bend we reached the official overlook, where we got to take in the view. I thought it was gorgeous.

AM-JKLWbyWo5s_dyGm-NyQy1pKZ2ZM5-Rcj2rL77UYHXVPH6n61dWIbKJE6Mxpr9AaD4T5J6XLo1NjsYOQEPmkLReDF-wYGs2PQYctkigCTXc49luznLTS6hTgkw2-kl6CSrYJWVqp2ayD4hEtHuVdEzkkLE6A=w1545-h870-no

You can’t really tell, but it was extremely windy up there too, which made it feel very cold. We didn’t stay outside long. Just long enough to hike up a ridge for another photo.

AM-JKLXL4ay67RsSH6WcsZVIXqzPSGlgXlPnS4dwL_oZel7qaTmKeyD0zJlt8jHkKPO9dDUVleiqcwWoq9Smd7zabZRLTHHHRhC7b-JeboEiCW7ChVm_BoB6LS_NutPIOoe8VmBRjn8ESnGDWthZMr7JC45Lqw=w1545-h870-no

Further down the road, we saw some caribou taking a break in a river valley. The four main animals we were looking for were bears, Dall sheep, caribou, and moose, and we’d already crossed three of them off the list.

AM-JKLXKVTqttuFnEkPxunQb2BKek-IRZ68gBwsIka0oIRMohEGAk3IbwuUPfdnBI27yjJPAx--_E6un_kCuy6Uz3acVmCkm3418lGHs1wasiS4se2V5KIgRLbZTxZgLE6xlyt-bOvTcfaiX6SEbMg-KFUmxZw=w1314-h876-no

We stopped at the Toklat River about 50 miles into the drive for another chance to use the restrooms and stretch our legs. Here we were treated to purple wildflowers in bloom all over the landscape.

AM-JKLWzRJLFZW0ec2n07hRrKYs1PbOHtTv2Yd_yOeQ3AQ8ww0anwI14C5cAwZVss_vd_yX6wGtY354Syd0EBArXFOZthJARY-mwfDhryUXywqj13YonMTqqhnXk0zr2wWAxOm7Dt0KZX2v78CqrqXiEtYwzNA=w1314-h876-no

And a sheep horn to mess around with.

AM-JKLXLiQlcVJICBaChwhosT-x0Tm30MUmkvEjZSdqlsCE_VWYI0pCVTXCI7DUUKnxCFJ2-wf4SMgCRSfGmZiW7sJf17FisT8lB94zFK4SqUpyYBQMjqh-G-n887ORiKf4h2hM5eN_4R8j3xoY9JMMfBeY6xw=w584-h876-no

Once we were back in the bus, we entered the home stretch. We started climbing the hills and ridges again, getting closer and closer to our first view of Denali. Given the increased cloud cover, we didn’t think we’d be as lucky as the day we’d first arrived in Anchorage. It made me glad we’d taken the drive to see the mountain on a clear day. After all, I needed to justify my 30% Club souvenirs.

But first, we found two more bears foraging for food. The driver guessed that this was most likely a mother and her (not-so-baby) cub. She said they can remain together for up to 5 years as the cub learns to hunt/gather his own food.

AM-JKLXcm0GzksAYh5B9HE1H86VhKraquK_VBCxFmhrNZiFtWCJxRWSPgqw1HSkvhcyXcyvvTHxQaGSCHOESt0kUDD53V_CH8RRbSX1ZESKY6L7KXW1ZXmZx5ehSU7kBgHN0XMTIcyRAfhxfv6ORu-u3_axThQ=w1314-h876-no

Finally, we started climbing a steep ridge, and the driver said to get out our cameras and cross our fingers that we’d get a decent view of the mountain. We crested the ridge, made a turn, and…

AM-JKLWFZTDE8ZW9kSCRcMZkkRdJDDI0LOZ4MQZlDIzdnsQ9W7rCOjM9lXKXPuaFrX8CGEYiiY0sm1MFumzJyDZq1HTFum8ATPlcY7WRtiWrplgwWYUGGbM0ftmRr20nyOTiCGJ7Pdpooexjqde0LDBjPLNhqA=w1545-h870-no

Well, hey. That’s not bad. Not bad at all. And certainly better than being completely socked in.

The Eielson Visitor Center is at mile 66 of the Denali Highway, and is a pretty cool building. It’s built right into the mountainside.

AM-JKLXbgj17tjA4WpspSi4B96dN1X70y5Un2GEJmntsNyr-VbZHwfaxtT3bMiv-SVtU49PraQLutJ9w7Di0FBMDNaaDOroBW8b5IkFHjPhVza6mwJvZkB9WTLIUNB_FZYyOuHqLk2gMPv_K8pvNsB622_5MTw=w1545-h870-no

Unfortunately, the only part we were allowed to see due to COVID was the restroom. We spent roughly 45 minutes there. Just enough for the restroom, a picnic lunch (no points for guessing the menu) and a short hike just below the visitor center building. One of the ideas behind the transit bus is that they run continuously throughout the day. It gives travelers some flexibility. If we'd wanted to, we could have gone for a hike here at the visitor center (or somewhere else along the way) and spent a few hours before taking another bus back to the depot. They announce when the last bus of the day will come through, and travelers along the road can flag down a green bus anytime. It really does operate as a small transit system.

We stuck with "our" bus just because we weren't prepared to spend several hours hiking, especially with a 7-year-old in tow.

I kept taking photos of Denali. I mean, it’s the largest mountain in North America. I just couldn’t help myself.

AM-JKLWW4_r2mj-r9QPdOK-Ciu946jKuvQC4v5wMhRIy-yEUqx35HthsuEzArPMp15Zmz0D9hCGTYtvBdPXD-3e-9yPBd_8-NkrDwa2sbdc7dAY5_JM3uCZEwtX28wraw3xgmR8tiJYMGF7IuXYDeeuaWajKrg=w1545-h870-no

AM-JKLWJyx26GKOWWbMRGxbYbT7nHWZWoLZFgEvMk5rz9V6xuV0Y3UWM9g91xzwrDRgwWf6vNCqd_CL5bWbk4cKrloQG2rLk9e9IyZyzDh766HM3f4Am2p0EA5OgcfErF5rgj1MIH1H9YFpWShOvTOta3-NAmw=w1545-h870-no

AM-JKLXYNyDO0dG2JNQwW8HUvdSJtMcdFcDyP6gIChdCk06CBtXIUhc2FBQxwL6Giah4beCHsNemqUKtIWukhVkcE5a7plOE3pQT2BdG93z8A6l-JugtZRusOCfjJrGb06TIVGh6uWz6f9T3YG0PykXY5x9a4g=w1545-h870-no

AM-JKLWB2rExxZ3FgeKdnWa4upkbbNNx1dhg0fRKZUAcxmIcJI8Ra5_lY7SWPJweDjUBGLr5uCzCoyi5P4avSzgIEz5DMCYaWYTMxcZihIkI3LJ3DG6Doursf04DODdqQJWNBaelQ2ZB3PIX40w9VZMjbQNDLw=w1545-h870-no

AM-JKLU9mNUAr2f2guUFq7h44yvFlHdoGeT2ca77ATZxDfr_7cO8AHSqm4gr6AF91VoZ2kPH0yfaquZDfNohf_5sYjop_jDyvHD6YB3u7CmsMfa07Z5h1abdEJzK8Qf9FAy60-_QdIbG0xXDtUJKo60hL1KipQ=w1545-h870-no

Had enough of that? Fine, we’ll get back on the bus. I’ll say this, though: I really love our national parks.

AM-JKLUSbCMRWi9r3XarGWDC4lgypgA9b7vlqclmC3L0KO3ntC0yjlnZW84c5Z8VMN6vkxS4LNYRVQ9CsiSvXGihJziqcOHpKeve3HeeAhaB2g3vFO1cgGp3WO4z7g9IrG26WYDakBXJgtgSAVAzJntR14m9zw=w1168-h877-no

The ride back was more businesslike, as we were just backtracking over the same road we came in on, so the driver had less information to share. But we did finish our wildlife bingo game when we found a moose on the return trip.

AM-JKLU7S4we_8A3yyfi6Bz24W8mqGrtEz1dagQ98NW7FAdi7--BwuPNO6h6FETn-_dTIK8VNBwRtv3Qg2RdgVBxYXn41Ibr2r2ZYn1A-ds92oI3ucTFaDObgd3SJSLxXSeyH5p47migq3EJ9d1xwcRILaF9OA=w1314-h876-no

As you might imagine, an 8-hour bus ride on a dirt road can be tiring. They did a remarkable job of staying on schedule, and we pulled back into the bus depot right around 3:30 p.m. We drove just outside the park to the tourist village and wandered the gift shops for a bit in search of crappy t-shirts. Thankfully, they had plenty in stock. They were also well-prepared for visitors.

AM-JKLWX-CTFUfNCMHtWPTdd2Jiv9QZT-Z1q9rVzVm4NZC6cjw8RZOP_NsQDUyNq_K6rvJ_3VJ96UgpqQkQfbc1EK-ByrOMQ22pwnWKeKHzPPqo-j3JXaa1rMpOrFU4MOUah7b_Z2GLMKfBf7QTKUTA-_faOhg=w1168-h877-no

I ran into a snag with our dinner plans, though. I had planned on visiting Prospector’s Pizza, which was nearby and had pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor. But once again, they had changed their hours due to COVID, and were closed on Mondays. Of course, this was a Monday.

That sent us into a bit of a panic as there weren’t too many other places that looked too appealing to us. Without a reservation, I figured we had no shot of getting back into the 49th State Brewery, so we started scouring the visitor information flyers to see if there was some other alternative.

We ended up finding Karsten’s Public House, which is part of the McKinley Chalet hotel (owned by one of the cruise lines).

AM-JKLU6gV1E2vM0MGriPN-gXU-fN0tZhjAGpHj6on_cbsHptSZIe9hFBcY0bXKSXPjG9s6TbTAdwIT7qnjLVcDH5NjwHAmStIpgZdP0PH1_tCFDBpKMY1OUYuE9pjxjRtD4iyju5G1UqIn-8U8XAeSCIQbFYQ=w1168-h877-no

It certainly looked inviting on the inside.

AM-JKLUOOgVyZV5iI9FjbjtijZ8zD028MQl0Xrwtw7lxz1na8UNnpvmS7LNUM-kSyimtR-ULzhVtpvD8IOyxqqxT3cv5Wu8gIOweF4ly2Gk4O7IguCkJeSX1x5ZRnWQYwK0xLBCrzIfxtfB4uRvEU48-OVJMjw=w1168-h877-no

My notes are failing me here, because I don’t remember what everybody ordered. I only know that I was eyeing up a fried chicken sandwich, and I think that’s what Julie ordered and she ended up loving it. But I let the waiter talk me into ordering the steak frites, which you would think would be a good call, but it ended up being my least favorite meal of the trip.

AM-JKLXrbLHmwGfDCOuPoAwVes-qxcrwl6_OTV9yZAw0uuOy4JQ-aC0-xuSHP5kk7Q38uRGqfIBSfM4DyG-RXmhHxZT5KDuqPQMcMVpFKWBYT9XyRo-Yu5jrI2Xmld18IKpwRz66S4wzUHnyOxmxcYxvPc_O1Q=w1168-h877-no

I’m normally a sucker for steak, but this one was tougher than a middle-school cafeteria monitor. Everyone else seemed to like their food, so I was the one with the dud this time around.

Thankfully, dessert salvaged the meal.

AM-JKLWxniZJ563tNPaURVRVuqBIWSfO5RKkL5IsVcMYng268BjhcUWFoMgbFjpW6bsaKmKHLSK0OGdjqE2Z3UJ2R0SvpdKx1VlYUTZEBF0oulz2dNquHEVDTGFXMSQRO1rp7PeqhXO6uwqsV3ByxqUsBvpO6w=w1168-h877-no

Many of our national parks are in remote areas, which are hard to reach and involve long hours of traveling in order to see them. It took hours and several flights to reach Alaska, and then more hours of driving followed by a wilderness bus just to see Denali National Park. We had to spend 8 hours cramped in a school bus on a dirt road.

Totally worth it. Between the wildlife and the mountain scenery, I’d go back for more in a heartbeat.

Coming Up Next: if you’ve been bored by this TR so far, may I interest you in cute dogs?

As I said before, if you want to see something in Alaska, you typically have to pay someone else to take you there.
Or you can walk.
Sure, you'll die in the attempt... but you can do it.
Although the park is larger than the entire state of New Hampshire, there is only one road.
Well, how many roads do you need anyways? You can only be on one at a time anyways, ya know. Sheesh.
You win the lottery to drive your own car (this is only available part of the year)
Okay... there's an actual lottery do drive here? I'm a bit surprised that there are that many requests to do so that 1. they have to have a lottery and 2. they have to limit it.
Normally, there are several options for bus tours in the park, but those were severely cut down due to COVID restrictions.
:sad2:
This pandemic is not a lot of fun.
This involved riding in a glorified school bus for 66 miles (one-way) along a rickety dirt road cut high into the side of mountains with no guardrail and barely enough room to pass any other buses coming the other direction. What could go wrong?
Meh. Driven that sort of thing often enough. You get used to it.
Secondly, I was following the Rope Drop Always Works rule, which states that rope drop always works.
:lmao:
We had breakfast in the hotel room (Pop Tarts and hotel room coffee, breakfast of champions)
Toasted???
Our chariot arrived about ten minutes before departure time.
Actually... that's a cool looking bus. I like it. :)
(i.e. keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle and keep your mask on),
Also keep your arms and legs on.
The Rope Drop strategy paid off right away as we spotted a porcupine just two miles into the trip.
Cool! Never seen one outside of a zoo.
The entire bus tour was to take 8.5 hours,
hours??????????? :faint:
My advice: save the money and take the regular “transit” shuttle. The bus driver had her own microphone and happily narrated the whole trip for us anyway.
Thanks for the tip. And... seems obvious in retrospect.
You must bring any snacks and drinks in with you, and of course take it all out when you leave. So if you didn't pack a lunch, you're gonna have a long day.
I have every confidence that copious PB&J sandwiches were packed.
The driver was obviously a veteran—she didn’t seem to slow down all that much.
And in winter... you can actually speed up. (Unless there's been a recent snowfall of course.)
All of that silt in the waterway gets deposited via snowmelt and the movement of ice in the winters.
Huh. Lots of it.
We continued on, and as we got closer to the mountain peaks the driver told us to look for small, white dots near the ridgelines, and asked us to call it out if we saw anything. No sooner had she said that than I raised my hand and called out some white dots near a mountain peak.
Good eye. I almost never spot animals unless they're pretty much in my face.
They typically live above the tree lines high on these mountain ranges, using the altitude and steep peaks as their main protection from predators.
Oh! Didn't know that was the reason. Huh.
Rounding another corner, we spotted a brown bear snacking on plants along a hillside. He looked like he was fattening up for the winter pretty well.
Cool!
Nice shot of him. (And of the other two, later on, as well.)
Wow.
I mean... what more can you say? Wow!
This was also probably the narrowest and most dangerous part of the road. You can see it cut into the ridge on the right, hanging well above the valley.
::yes:: But wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.
And yes, we did end up having to pass another bus at one point, which was a bit hair-raising. Julie shut her eyes and white-knuckled it through the maneuver
Shouldn't laugh but... poor Julie!
Here’s a couple of buses on the road, just for scale:
Alaska is big.
Just around the bend we reached the official overlook, where we got to take in the view. I thought it was gorgeous.
Man... stunning. Seriously.
Further down the road, we saw some caribou taking a break in a river valley.
Caribou I have seen... but nowhere near that close. They were a long way off.
And seen them close up... but in captivity again.
The four main animals we were looking for were bears, Dall sheep, caribou, and moose, and we’d already crossed three of them off the list.
I'd say even without the moose at the end, that was pretty darned successful!
And a sheep horn to mess around with.
Betcha Drew liked that... and betting the rest of the family found it pretty cool too!
After all, I needed to justify my 30% Club souvenirs.
But first, we found two more bears foraging for food. The driver guessed that this was most likely a mother and her (not-so-baby) cub. She said they can remain together for up to 5 years as the cub learns to hunt/gather his own food.
Good momma. :)
Finally, we started climbing a steep ridge, and the driver said to get out our cameras and cross our fingers that we’d get a decent view of the mountain. We crested the ridge, made a turn, and…

AM-JKLWFZTDE8ZW9kSCRcMZkkRdJDDI0LOZ4MQZlDIzdnsQ9W7rCOjM9lXKXPuaFrX8CGEYiiY0sm1MFumzJyDZq1HTFum8ATPlcY7WRtiWrplgwWYUGGbM0ftmRr20nyOTiCGJ7Pdpooexjqde0LDBjPLNhqA=w1545-h870-no
Nice! I'd say that was a win for sure!
Unfortunately, the only part we were allowed to see due to COVID was the restroom. We spent roughly 45 minutes there.
45 minutes in the restroom? Wow. When you have to go, you have to GO
a picnic lunch (no points for guessing the menu)
Well, poop. There goes my chance for a win.
They announce when the last bus of the day will come through, and travelers along the road can flag down a green bus anytime. It really does operate as a small transit system.
Actually... not all that surprised. In the North, you just don't leave people stranded.
Stranded people... die.
I kept taking photos of Denali. I mean, it’s the largest mountain in North America. I just couldn’t help myself.
Dude... I totally get it. I mean... these photos are stunning. I can't even imagine what they're like in real life!
I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do on my cruise, but... you sure are making me look even more forward to it!
Nice. :thumbsup2
But we did finish our wildlife bingo game when we found a moose on the return trip.
So... question.
When you embarked on this journey... did you think you'd see all the animals you did?
Yep. Relegated to the bench. That's us.

I ran into a snag with our dinner plans, though. I had planned on visiting Prospector’s Pizza, which was nearby and had pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor. But once again, they had changed their hours due to COVID, and were closed on Mondays. Of course, this was a Monday.
Oh, no...
I let the waiter talk me into ordering the steak frites, which you would think would be a good call, but it ended up being my least favorite meal of the trip.
Well... shoot. Must admit... that meal does look a little... pre-chewed.
Thankfully, dessert salvaged the meal.
Now that looks great!!
We had to spend 8 hours cramped in a school bus on a dirt road.

Totally worth it. Between the wildlife and the mountain scenery, I’d go back for more in a heartbeat.
:goodvibes
Coming Up Next: if you’ve been bored by this TR so far, may I interest you in cute dogs?
100% not bored, but... sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter