The DW KidsMeals suck

Go to the Land Pavilion and eat a meal there...tons of choices for kids!!! All healthy too!

Some other spots we like are: Carribean Beach Resort, Tomorrowland big counter service place, Casey's Corner, Boma!!!, The Mara

The meal my kids loved the most was California Grill. They actually got real food! One of my dd's was in heaven because her app. was a big dish of nice fruit instead of some grapes or dried out fruit salad. The kids had steak and salmon. They even tried the Ostrich that my dh ordered. I don't understand why they think kids should eat junk all week long or dried out grilled chicken.:confused3

Honestly, the CM's don't care in most cases. Technicially, you can only order the number of adult meals shown on your card but I don't even know if the CM's even look at that - as long as there are enough credits, they'll run it through. My ds8 ate adults meals 7 out of 8 meals during our trip - we ate at Electric Umbrella, Flame Tree BBQ, Cosmic Rays, Pizza Planet, Pizzafari, and the POR food court 3x. He did have a kids' meal turkey sub at Sunshine Seasons.

If you look - you can do it with limited nuggets....

The food courts at the resorts have a LOT of kids meal variety - pasta, sandwiches, stir fry, etc.

Breakfasts have a lot of variety for kids.

Try someplace like Main St. Bakery - no kids menu so can get a 'regular' meal.

And then we split some adult meals and use the kids ones when we're at the resort and DTD and Sunshine Seasons and World Showcase.

That way my kids end up eating the 'regular' fare only a couple times on the trip.

It CAN be done.

I never really get people who complain about this - look at the PRICE of the kids plan, honestly, what foods do you think you can do for a whole day for that tiny price? Of course it has to be limited and cheap.

we just paid the difference and upped DS (8) to a 10 year old it solved all our problems about meals
We had booked the trip with DS at 8 then called back and told the CM that we were looking at the menus and realized it wouldn't work for DS and could we do that
and he said not a problem

If you look - you can do it with limited nuggets....

I never really get people who complain about this - look at the PRICE of the kids plan, honestly, what foods do you think you can do for a whole day for that tiny price? Of course it has to be limited and cheap.

I rather pay more then have to serve that crap to my child. I don't do it at home, why in the world would it do it on vacation. I guess since the masses would complain that Jr. wants nuggets and fries if they weren't there, the people who actually taught their children to eat good food get shafted.

I agree... DD2 didn't touch the "kid" items we ordered for her, but ate off our plates instead. Thank goodness for buffets, seriously. I never even thought to ask about a smaller portion of an adult meal, oh well.. next time!

I rather pay more then have to serve that crap to my child. I don't do it at home, why in the world would it do it on vacation. I guess since the masses would complain that Jr. wants nuggets and fries if they weren't there, the people who actually taught their children to eat good food get shafted.

My kids eat crap will fully admit to that, but not for 7 - 14 day straight.

Give people the choice is all most of us ask.

We didn't do the dining plan so I don't know how it works, but in a lot of places we just paid more for a better meal. Some days they had fries and burger (usually only ate the fries) and some days they shared a nice adult meal.

Worst meal was some terrible dinosaur shaped mushed up stuff (think it was suppose to be chicken) at T-Rex, kids took one look/mouthful and that was it. They were terrible though.

Kirsten

We didn't do the dining plan so I don't know how it works, but in a lot of places we just paid more for a better meal. Some days they had fries and burger (usually only ate the fries) and some days they shared a nice adult meal.

Worst meal was some terrible dinosaur shaped mushed up stuff (think it was suppose to be chicken) at T-Rex, kids took one look/mouthful and that was it. They were terrible though.

Kirsten

Oh my daughter is by no means a super healthy eater! :) The girl LOVES a potato chip! She also loved Chik-Fil-A, though that's the only nuggets we do. I just don't get how they can serve the same thing every meal, every day, every restaurant. I'm stuck in between a daughter with grown up taste and an aunt who hates buffets. Oh well, I'm sure she won't go hungry. 4 apps and 4 entrees will make for more then enough leftovers for her.

Oh my daughter is by no means a super healthy eater! :) The girl LOVES a potato chip! She also loved Chik-Fil-A, though that's the only nuggets we do. I just don't get how they can serve the same thing every meal, every day, every restaurant. I'm stuck in between a daughter with grown up taste and an aunt who hates buffets. Oh well, I'm sure she won't go hungry. 4 apps and 4 entrees will make for more then enough leftovers for her.

Totally agree with you. I think "most" people feed their kids a mixture but unfortunately it seems to be that the only ones catered for are the ones where little jimmy only eats chicken nuggets or fried food. There were places at WDW where we did find the odd meal that offered something different but we found they were few and far between.

I also don't get this what can you expect for the prices deal as they prices are more expensive than you pay just about anywhere else so for the extra money I would expect some better choices.

Kirsten

My kids are the same way. A plate of chicken nuggets or an Uncrustable is okay every once in a while-but my kids like "real" food.

We looked at menus carefully before choosing where to eat and getting the dining plan. I think of our TS credits there are only 2 out of 7 places where they have more typical "kids fare" vs. given a choice about what to eat.

My DS is most excited about Whispering canyon an O'hana's b/c of the ribs and shrimp, LOL. Oh-and he chose Le Cellier because he wanted to try the cheese soup.:laughing:

I think if you look around at the menus you can find some places that fit your family's needs.

Here's another vote for dumping the dining plan. My kids don't like the typical kid fare and have pretty simple wants - they like ordering off the appetizer and dessert menu (for example a fruit/yogurt parfait from the dessert menu and veggie sticks, soup etc from the appetizers). Makes for easier and healthier meals.

I have a real food kid here, and on our Nov. trip I inadvertently found out that all counter service credits are the same. I ordered 3 adult meals at Cosmic Ray's b/c DD was sick of the kids menu, with the intention of just paying oop later for one of mine or DH's meals. I never had to b/c the credits are not seperated, so it only showed that I had used 3 credits for 3 meals. The card you pay with only has one person's name on it, so unless it shows them on the computer screen how many adults and children are on the ressie they have no way of knowing. As I understand it they only see how many credits are remaining on the plan. We alos ate several places that didn't have a kids menu, which was a great option as well.

I'm another one that thinks the choices for kids are lacking. I do agree that there are other options open to them from the kids menus but you really need to know where to find them. The majority is nuggets, pizza etc. Even the options that are available as sides for a kids meal are not always presented openly.

On our last trip I listed my DD as being 10yo so that she could have the choice of either the adult menu or kids. I would say about 50% of the time she took the adult meal. She certainly is not a big eater but she noticed on the previous trip that the kids meals were boring. There were many times that I would eat her kids meal and she would have mine.

Just a litttle funny....on our first onsite, total WDW vacation my DD who was 5 at the time ate chicken strips 8 nights in a row. I think on the third day I protested but my DH said...'we're on vacation, let her have what she wants'.

The OP could have chosen the regular dining plan and her child would have a lot of choices for meals. Before anyone purchases any dining plan I would think a little research is in order. Look at teh menus adn determine if there are choices that justify the cost of the plan. In her case I would run the numbers to see if what I am paying for the child would be covered during the time I was in Disney. No one is getting shafted, guests have a choice to purchase or not.

Kirsten
Disney cannot win. A few years ago there was no QS plan and all you read was that folks wanted that option. Now there are several options for people to choose from and still there are complaints. Dining plans do not work for everyone, folks should check out the cost vs the value to them and then make a purchase. There are plenty of options on the regular DDP for children and still there are complaints.

Totally agree with you. I think "most" people feed their kids a mixture but unfortunately it seems to be that the only ones catered for are the ones where little jimmy only eats chicken nuggets or fried food. There were places at WDW where we did find the odd meal that offered something different but we found they were few and far between.

I also don't get this what can you expect for the prices deal as they prices are more expensive than you pay just about anywhere else so for the extra money I would expect some better choices.

Kirsten

We took my DGD and her friend to Six Flags NE this summer and I won't go intot eh cost of food and drinks there. We paid a fortune for lousy food and tossed most of it out. The girls hated it.

The OP could have chosen the regular dining plan and her child would have a lot of choices for meals. Before anyone purchases any dining plan I would think a little research is in order. Look at teh menus adn determine if there are choices that justify the cost of the plan. In her case I would run the numbers to see if what I am paying for the child would be covered during the time I was in Disney. No one is getting shafted, guests have a choice to purchase or not.

Disney cannot win. A few years ago there was no QS plan and all you read was that folks wanted that option. Now there are several options for people to choose from and still there are complaints. Dining plans do not work for everyone, folks should check out the cost vs the value to them and then make a purchase. There are plenty of options on the regular DDP for children and still there are complaints.

I certainly wasn't commenting on the dining plan as we never did it I imagine it works for some but not others. My comments are soley on the types of food they offer in their kids meals. It is just a complete waste to have to purchase a full sized adult meal to feed my child knowing full well that he won't eat it all but doesn't like the options available for kids. It is better now we have two children as we can just buy an adult meal and split it but that will change when the youngest gets more vocal on what he wants to eat when out and about.

We took my DGD and her friend to Six Flags NE this summer and I won't go intot eh cost of food and drinks there. We paid a fortune for lousy food and tossed most of it out. The girls hated it.

Agreed most theme parks cost a lot for the same lousy food. I guess the difference is that most people go to places like Six Flags as a one off day trip and don't mind a fast food, over fried type meal. But at WDW most people go for a number of days and as I have said previously my kids don't mind the odd meal of fried stuff no vege but not every day for 7-14 days. (although they would eat fries every meal if you let them LOL)

My comments in the red.

You are right with saying Disney can't win as there will always be someone who complains, which is why I suggest the keep the kids meals as is, and offer half meals at half prices for it won't keep everyone happy but it will hit a bigger majority than what the do now.

Kirsten

Kirsten

I agree. I also wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for the DDP to get my kids real food. We do a lot of buffets because of the characters but the sit down meals always have horrible choices for the kids. We ate at the Yacht Club last trip and all my kids had crab cakes etc. They like real food. I don't feed them pizza, nuggets, mac and cheese, and hotdogs every day of their life. Do they eat that stuff? Yeah, occassionally. Would I feed it to them everyday? Never. Heck, they don't want to eat it all the time. One of my children's favorite foods is lobster!:laughing:

I agree. I also wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for the DDP to get my kids real food. We do a lot of buffets because of the characters but the sit down meals always have horrible choices for the kids. We ate at the Yacht Club last trip and all my kids had crab cakes etc. They like real food. I don't feed them pizza, nuggets, mac and cheese, and hotdogs every day of their life. Do they eat that stuff? Yeah, occassionally. Would I feed it to them everyday? Never. Heck, they don't want to eat it all the time. One of my children's favorite foods is lobster!:laughing:

Your kids rock.... mmmm lobster. I get told my kids have expensive tastes all the time Cullen took smoked salmon sandwiches to nursery the other day, the teachers were very jealous.

Kirsten

Your kids rock.... mmmm lobster. I get told my kids have expensive tastes all the time Cullen took smoked salmon sandwhiches to nursery the other day, the teachers were very jealous.

Kirsten

My DD6 likes the smoked samon on toast with goat cheese!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter