The DW KidsMeals suck

Agreed most theme parks cost a lot for the same lousy food. I guess the difference is that most people go to places like Six Flags as a one off day trip and don't mind a fast food, over fried type meal. But at WDW most people go for a number of days and as I have said previously my kids don't mind the odd meal of fried stuff no vege but not every day for 7-14 days. (although they would eat fries every meal if you let them LOL)

My comments in the red.

You are right with saying Disney can't win as there will always be someone who complains, which is why I suggest the keep the kids meals as is, and offer half meals at half prices for it won't keep everyone happy but it will hit a bigger majority than what the do now.

Kirsten[/quote

My DGD likes real food too and we have no problem ordering a adult meal if there are no children's options that she likes. Not just at WDW but anywhere. I found thta in most of the resort restaurants there were enough options to keep her happy.

we just paid the difference and upped DS (8) to a 10 year old it solved all our problems about meals
We had booked the trip with DS at 8 then called back and told the CM that we were looking at the menus and realized it wouldn't work for DS and could we do that
and he said not a problem

If you do that don't you then have to pay adult price for park tickets if you are buying a package?

Honestly, I think a lot of restaurants have this issue... kid's meals are often made for the "picky eater" kid. I get why they do it, but I do wish they offered some other choices, too (and of course, some do). Our DD's are fine with us ordering healthier options for them, but it's tough that restaurants often package "kids meals" with a toy or in a special plate (like the Mickey trays at WDW), so of course they're drawn to that. We also try to be as healthy as possible with our kids, and when we do go out to a place like McDonalds, our DD loves getting the fruit & yogurt parfait and the apple dippers instead of a Happy Meal, but that means no toy or fun little box thing... she hasn't noticed why that is yet, but it's annoying that she will one day, and I appreciate her current food choices! We're on the dining plan this time, but neither of our girls are because they're not old enough quite yet, so we'll be paying OOP for them which works out well for this situation - we can order them a kid's meal if they want and it looks good, or we can just order some extra sides or fruit cups or whatever and share. I appreciate some of the steps Disney is taking overall to create healthier food choices, and I do hope they'll continue to improve kid's meals.

Go to the Land Pavilion and eat a meal there...tons of choices for kids!!! All healthy too!

I had forgotten about that place! My kids had roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and a veggie, and one time the lo mein noodles and some stir fry. There are tons of options there!!!

Go to the Land Pavilion and eat a meal there...tons of choices for kids!!! All healthy too!

Some other spots we like are: Carribean Beach Resort, Tomorrowland big counter service place, Casey's Corner, Boma!!!, The Mara

I had forgotten about that place! My kids had roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and a veggie, and one time the lo mein noodles and some stir fry. There are tons of options there!!!

Land Pavilion is great idea. Hurray for veggies!

The Lo Mein was unexpectly gross the last time we tried it (somewhere in MGM). If a kid says something tastes off plz try a bite b/c I've seen so many people ignore their kiddos when they complain about kid meals.

If you do that don't you then have to pay adult price for park tickets if you are buying a package?

yes but it was only $31 or something I would have paid more then that OOP to subsidize him with other things
and he was way more happier eating ribs and steaks then he ever would be disney hotdogs
he would pick ceaser salad and sushi over nuggets and crap any meal he hates McD and places like that on a good I can't imagine making him eat it for the 10 days that we go

I rather pay more then have to serve that crap to my child. I don't do it at home, why in the world would it do it on vacation. I guess since the masses would complain that Jr. wants nuggets and fries if they weren't there, the people who actually taught their children to eat good food get shafted.

That's an option too - no need to do the dining plan as it doesn't work for everyone. Just pay OOP and then you CAN pay a few dollars more to get your kids whatever is right for your family. OR, from what I understand, you can pay to upgrade your child to an adult and do it that way. Both ways you're paying more and get more options.

However, given the suggestions I gave - no NEED to do that if you don't want to. It is entirely possible, as I have done it - NOT to have 'that crap' for the kids meals if you work it right.

That's an option too - no need to do the dining plan as it doesn't work for everyone. Just pay OOP and then you CAN pay a few dollars more to get your kids whatever is right for your family. OR, from what I understand, you can pay to upgrade your child to an adult and do it that way. Both ways you're paying more and get more options.

However, given the suggestions I gave - no NEED to do that if you don't want to. It is entirely possible, as I have done it - NOT to have 'that crap' for the kids meals if you work it right.

Here's the thing though, my child is not going to eat an entire adult meal. While I don't mind paying extra for them to eat well, why should I have to buy a giant meal for a child? I don't understand why they can't offer half portions. Even as an adult that would appeal to me because maybe I would try two different options.

Here's the thing though, my child is not going to eat an entire adult meal. While I don't mind paying extra for them to eat well, why should I have to buy a giant meal for a child? I don't understand why they can't offer half portions. Even as an adult that would appeal to me because maybe I would try two different options.

Likely something to do with the hundreds of thousands of people they serve, or something similar. Smaller containers...same prep per plate but more plates....More options in different sizes likely would lead to more mistakes on orders - more food thrown out...Those are reasons I can think of off the top of my head. NOW, one thing I could see is them coming up with an entire CS restaurant dedicated to smaller portions or something - 4 or 5 options, typically an 'adult' menu, but smaller portions. Likely would end up about the same price as the larger ones though, so people would still complain and would likely forego it and just buy the bigger ones for $1.00 more. So I guess it wouldn't work as a lot of people wouldn't opt for same $$ for less food scenario.

There are sides that are smaller, and things can be shared. Buffets are perfect for this - anything you want in any quantitiy you desire. So I suggest lots and lots of buffets.

We tend to do fine by just sharing to get smaller portions...Get an extra side or dessert when needed or wanted. Works out great!

Likely something to do with the hundreds of thousands of people they serve, or something similar. Smaller containers...same prep per plate but more plates....More options in different sizes likely would lead to more mistakes on orders - more food thrown out...Those are reasons I can think of off the top of my head. NOW, one thing I could see is them coming up with an entire CS restaurant dedicated to smaller portions or something - 4 or 5 options, typically an 'adult' menu, but smaller portions. Likely would end up about the same price as the larger ones though, so people would still complain and would likely forego it and just buy the bigger ones for $1.00 more. So I guess it wouldn't work as a lot of people wouldn't opt for same $$ for less food scenario.

There are sides that are smaller, and things can be shared. Buffets are perfect for this - anything you want in any quantitiy you desire. So I suggest lots and lots of buffets.

We tend to do fine by just sharing to get smaller portions...Get an extra side or dessert when needed or wanted. Works out great!

I can see what you are saying. We do a few buffets because we want to do character meals but I have to be honest, I would rather be served once in a while instead of getting up and down 90 times during a meal. As for sharing, well, we do that at times but we have 4 kids (soon to be 5) so sharing can be a bit of a problem sometimes as not everyone wants the same food. I agree though that you don't have to do the dining plan and we don't always do it but it just stinks that the only way your child can eat a decent meal is by going to signature restaurants or buffets. Charge a dollar or two more for the kids and have a better selection.

FYI the cheddar soup is one of the app choices for kids at Le Cellier. My kids loved it. We also had to get them miso soup when we ate in japan!

When we did the DDP my DGD ate well. We looked over the menus before we made ADR's and included her taste in our choices. She ate chicken and steak and pork on the plan and this was not at all signature dining restaurants.

The DDP will not be an option for everyone, the children's menu is just one of the discussions that has benn ongoing since I joined the DIS. Some folks wanted cheaper options and now they are here. Some folks hated the fact that an appetizer and gratuity were included in the plan...not neither is. Some folks kicked about not having healthy choices ont eh kids menu...her they are. Some folks wanted to be able to have a QS only option and we have it. Still the plans will not make everyone happy.

I totally agree about the kids meals. My dd8 was sick of eating the kids meal food. Truth is that she does not get "kids fare" at home so it is difficult to expect her to get it on vacation (she eats what is served to everyone...special "kid" meals were never our thing). She is used to eating items like calamari, muscles, salmon, cod, scrod, steak and chicken. She rarely (if ever) eats chicken nuggets and hasn't since she was about 3 years old! The desserts are just plain outright boring...and I always gave her a part of my "Celebration" dessert not to mentioin ordering meals she would like and sharing them with her.

Buffets were better because she can eat the adult fare.

WDW just needs to re-think the childrens' menu.

I think you need to look at where your getting kids meals. Many of the ts meals do have more "kids" fare and also mini adult. For example, teppon edo's kid's menu are smaller portions of the adult menu. Le Cellier has steak on its kid's menu, Rose and Crown has bangers and mash on the kid menu, my oldest had salad, noodles etc from the kid's menu at qs.

There are plenty of menus for Disney on the web and that makes it much easier to look at, decide if your kids would eat the food at the place and then schedule it in.

But it is nice to have the standard "kid" fare. I know my kids aren't always ambitious or want to try something new and thus will go to something they are familiar with and it's not like my kids don't eat at home what we do. They even eat sushi!

I think we are going to try Rose & Crown this year. We tried LeCellier and it was not one of our faves.

I think a great idea (if your kids are old enough) is to include your kids in the restaurant choosing. I am doing it this year with dd8 and she is really getting into it.

As far as the meal choices on the Kids meals...just how many fruit cups, ckn tenders, pizzas and make your own sundaes can one kid eat? I agree in searching for those that do offer a more adult option for kids, but the majority do not.

I DO feel the dining plan it worth it and enjoy using it. As it is just me and dd8 this year, I will order an appetizer she is crazy about (personally I don't eat much seafood, but she loves it) and let her have at it. Then we can pick at her "kids" meal...she will probably pick off my plate as well. It works for us and has helped us get through many disgruntled kids meals! I will also let her have some of my dessert as approx. 3 days into the trip last year she refused to eat another Make Your Own Sundae and wanted the "Celebration" fun desserts too.:laughing:

there are no kid's meal counter service credits on your dining plan. All the counter service credits are one big giant pile. Therefore, your kids can order off either the adult or kid's menu.

Both my kid's ordered off the adult or kids menu for our CS meals (they are both under 9) at will and we had no problems. I know other people have done this before as well.

Thanks for saying this as I was going to say it. WE used the CS credits and the only time it was a distinguished difference that I noticed was when we ate at the POR restaurant. Everywhere else it did not matter.
My son had the kids meal plan and he always ordered something off the regular menu....now he had a bigger appetite then I did so I was willing to do a kids meal but once I saw no difference we just ordered. One thing I did was got the girls one meal to share. you only get meals per night of you stay and we were there for 5 days so we tried to make the meals last so we had at least one meal saved for no OOP on the last day. Since they did not discriminate CS meals we were fine with that. With the girls sharing their meals we had enough credits the last day to each have one meal.
Another thing was I wish I would have just used the snack credits. I was to busy trying to make them last....we could have gotten alot more snacks and ended up taking home alot of rice crispie mickey ears. LOL I'll know for next time now....

WOW This thread really blew up!! Im glad im not alone in my opinion . I also didnt know you could probaly get by with ordering off the adult menu. Im going to try that hopefully I wont be outted! My dd has a big appetite so if i can get away with it all the better .I can have my meal and dd and ds can split a meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter