The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

@bama_ed I believe you on the planning, I recall friends just looking for a week south of Tampa having an impossible time finding anything at state campgrounds and even private was not easy in the winter. I have a few more years till Melissa considers retirement, till then I signed on for following school breaks for our trips. Though I do hope in summer to take some long once since my job might let me remote rather that taking a few weeks off.

@Teamubr If you want St. Augustine look at Beverly Beach Camptown, they are 50A full hookup beachfront right on A1A. I stayed on the Ocean Access side and can't say I ever heard the noise from the road. But if I was going to do a month I would do Beach Side. Its equal drive to St. Augustine and Daytona Beach, which made exploring fun. The KOA is my second choice for a full hookup location further north.

@Teamubr If you want St. Augustine look at Beverly Beach Camptown, they are 50A full hookup beachfront right on A1A. I stayed on the Ocean Access side and can't say I ever heard the noise from the road. But if I was going to do a month I would do Beach Side. Its equal drive to St. Augustine and Daytona Beach, which made exploring fun. The KOA is my second choice for a full hookup location further north.
James,

We stayed at Beverly Beach about 10 years ago when we were racing at Daytona. We went down a few days early to have some "beach time" before going to the track. Unfortunately there was a low pressure area that was stuck and it rained the whole 3 or 4 days we were there.

I like the KOAs, but they get a little pricey for a month long stay.

j

I don't doubt that they are. Beverly Beach isn't all that cheap either for Oceanview or Ocean Front I am sure there are cheaper places to stay, though not that close to the beach. Just a quick search at local area places full hookup still hovers at 1500+ for the month that time of year.

I like the KOAs, but they get a little pricey for a month long stay.

Jim, sorry for my memory lapse - I forgot to consider that you were looking for a multi-week/monthly stay/rate to consider for next January.

Bama Ed

PS - but I still have read nice things about the StAbeach KOA for those considering shorter stays. And we liked Anastasia SP (as apparently does everybody else)

Today is Super Bowl Sunday and although I don't normally follow the NFL teams week to week ....

.... and I don't give a rat's rear end about the commercials ..... however .....

.... I AM all about the food one puts out for a gathering of one or ten or one hundred!

I pulled a Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe a couple weeks ago and just grabbed it out of the oven to cool. Let me explain ....

DW likes to shop at our local Publix grocery store (based in Florida and popular in the southeast).

In their deli section they have a pre-packaged tub of "Buffalo Chicken Dip" that she loves! It's chicken (soft and shredded), cream cheese, mozzarella, hot sauce, a lot of sour cream and a little mayo, and a tiny bit of vinegar. She buys a tub about once a month. So I pulled a recipe off the Net to dip with some nachos for the pre-game.

20210207_152048.jpg

I got some queso and salsa to go with it for the snack/pre-game. Making a gumbo (shrimp and extra veg like peppers and okra) with cornbread for dinner during the game. I have to admit I make a pretty good roux. :stir: (browned hot oil and flour for you Yankees like myself ....)

Anybody else doing some snacks/pre-game food for the SB?

Bama Ed

Man, I just did the simple homemade fries and battered chicken strips.

I don't usually follow NFL. I'm more about the commercials. New Marvel movies, etc.

So yesterday was the superbowl, I found out who won around 11pm when I asked Alexa who won. Several days earlier we started puzzle 7 of 10 for our 40k piece puzzle recently and yesterday spent most of the day getting Belle and her dress done and most of beast. Much more entertaining than the NFL really, and we worked on it through the day till about 5pm.

At that point I was cooking up homemade Gyros, in which we figured out Ellie completely freaks out at the smell of lamb cooking. She did it once before and we thought it was the noisy downdraft fan freaked her out. This time I didn't have the fan running and she still freaked out. I did some googling and found out this is a thing that some dogs just freak the hell out when people are cooking lamb. I guess that just means I will have to change the gyro recipe to pork or beef for the seasoned meat.

So yesterday was the superbowl, I found out who won around 11pm when I asked Alexa who won. Several days earlier we started puzzle 7 of 10 for our 40k piece puzzle recently and yesterday spent most of the day getting Belle and her dress done and most of beast. Much more entertaining than the NFL really, and we worked on it through the day till about 5pm.

At that point I was cooking up homemade Gyros, in which we figured out Ellie completely freaks out at the smell of lamb cooking. She did it once before and we thought it was the noisy downdraft fan freaked her out. This time I didn't have the fan running and she still freaked out. I did some googling and found out this is a thing that some dogs just freak the hell out when people are cooking lamb. I guess that just means I will have to change the gyro recipe to pork or beef for the seasoned meat.
Interesting on the lamb. Bailey (departed) would never eat lamb.

Houston, the eagles have landed.
We now have 2 bald eagles taking up residence at the back of my work which borders a forest preserve.
Until recently they had only been northern Illinois
View attachment 554995

Nice, we have quite a few nesting pairs here. They have an Eagle Cam that is run thru the PGC, and we have a black bear cam that started last year and is back this year, also thru the PGC.

We have two pair that nest at local CoE lake just 2 miles from me. They pay us a flyover and screech from time to time.
I thought you were talking about the bears and couldn't figure out how a bear would screech... or fly over (although that I could almost see). :P

j

Thanks for the link. Been watching quite a few. Which ones are near you?

Joe, The Hanover Eagles are about an hour and fifteen minutes away, south. The bear den I know exactly where it is, about 3 hours away, north and east of us. Middle Creek is about an hour to the east. So none are very close, but all are in reasonable distance.

I was able to get my 1st Cover shot today. I had to drive to Brenham, Tx (where Blue Bell Ice Cream is made) had to drive right by it. They were so organized & a lot of people in their cars were in line. I feel great & hope the 2nd shot on March 9th will be a piece of cake as today was.

Good for you - hope any side effects are minimal. I had little more than a sore arm after dose 1. Was a bit fatigued for a few hours, but very minimal. Still another 2 weeks before dose 2, so don't know on that one yet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!