The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

For alum of 2020 Northeast DISmeet at Lake George… I am back at Moose Hillock until Sunday. New lesson… when you reserve a specific site online (which you pay extra for) make sure you call after reservation to confirm the proper site was selected by you/is in their system, Assigned a completely different site than I had expected. You had to click it on map during reservation, and my desired vs assigned site were complete opposite sides. I don’t believe my hand slipped that far but 🤷. In any case, your site choice does NOT show up on your confirmation. I nearly called in December after I saw that but said “Meh, it’s probably all right.” Well, it wasn’t. Lesson learned… I was able to switch to another site (on a corner between where myself and our resident wine maker were set up in 2020, so all is well.

Well that's good to know. We really enjoyed the moose and will definitely go back there

Wow time flies when your keeping busy. Not much done on RV cleaning since Saturday. Sunday we had plans to visit our friend Janet (then one who lost her DH unexpectedly last year), it was nice to see her.

Monday I chose to work rather then use up the vacation time. It was good because storms pretty much rolled thorugh in waves all morning. By evening it was clearing up so Melissa and I went off to a local brewery for some relaxation and watch a dualling piano group playing. We got a table under the pavillion and it was great after another line of storms blew through about an hour after we got there. The rest of the night stayed clear.

On the 4th it was a cooler and wet start. So since it was not the weather to wax and detail the rest of the RV or start the truck, I switched gears to the other project going on at home. A few weeks ago I started a process to re-deck and repaint my 7x10 utility trailer since some of the deck boards were rotten out. I had planned this project over the winter when I scored some clearance priced rustoleum truck bed paint. Over the last few weeks I removed the old deck, wire brushed away the worst of the rust, then primed the trailer. I spent part of my 4th getting some key sections painted 2 with 2 coats. These areas (axle, tongue, ramp) will allow me to support the trailer while I do the remaining areas with two coats next.

IMG_6444.jpegIMG_6445.jpeg

So far the painted areas look great, they have the spray on truck liner like texture and feel, so hoping it will last some years before I have to do it again. Once that is done ill get the deck boards, cut them to site and reassemble with lights.

Well last night the rains stayed away. So what does that mean? Why its a perfect time to clay bar the front of the RV (the only area I planned to do this on.) I still have a few spots to hit with some sap remover, but its looking awesome. I plan to get a machine applied coat of wax on it next, probably when I have it all setup for the truck.

IMG_6446.jpegIMG_6447.jpeg

Next focus will be the truck as its time to get it all cleaned out and ready. Thankfully swapping the dashcam wont take long, I just need to find a proper key on power source as the new hard wire power supply uses both to trigger parking mode and save even more battery power. Then its just a couple hours of washing and waxing the truck. It will be nice for them to be all cleaned up for the trip, right now the truck is filthy thanks to a muddy track weekend.

All right….I know there was the Pigeon Forge DISmeet and a bunch of Pigeon Forge regulars… I know that going to that area will be expensive, crazy busy traffic, etc…

There seem to be a LOT of campgrounds in the area. Those who have stayed… what campground(s) have you stayed at/chosen? Why did you choose the particular campground? What did you like/dislike? Stay again or stay away? Thanks!

All right….I know there was the Pigeon Forge DISmeet and a bunch of Pigeon Forge regulars… I know that going to that area will be expensive, crazy busy traffic, etc…

There seem to be a LOT of campgrounds in the area. Those who have stayed… what campground(s) have you stayed at/chosen? Why did you choose the particular campground? What did you like/dislike? Stay again or stay away? Thanks!
We have always stayed here. https://stayriveredge.com/

Close to Dollywood and the closest to Gatlinburg. Like most resort areas spots are close to each other.

There seem to be a LOT of campgrounds in the area. Those who have stayed… what campground(s) have you stayed at/chosen? Why did you choose the particular campground? What did you like/dislike? Stay again or stay away? Thanks
Jim, we went back last year to Pigeon Forge after a wedding in Greenville Tn . We stayed at Sun Resort of Pigeon Forge. I did post some pics of the resort and it's amenities in my TR , Better Head Back to Tennessee Jed. We will return this December on our way to Disney
They offer a variety of discounts based on your length of stay. Last year we got a 25% discount for a 7 night stay. This year for 5 nights , a 20% Veterans discount.
The Big Attraction for the Area DOLLYWOOD was very accessible by taking a route that avoided the MAIN DRAG. Most attractions on the Main drag were less than 15 min away.
The pool and Lazy River are both heated and open year round. The laundry and CS nearby were very clean. They had both a Tennis and Pickle Ball , as well as a Basketball court. Unless you plan on doing a lot of looping or select a site far from the office we found a Golf Cart wasn't needed for our entire stay. If you decide to get one call the national number to book that not as part of site reservation but as a separate ressie this way if you decide you don't need or want it it's easier to cancel.
This used to be called TWO RIVERS Resort and had a good rating on Good Sam. It was owned by the same people that own The Ridge .

Last edited:
Jim,

There are lots of options. A lot depends on what you want to do while in the area. Pigeon Forge has the most activity and "touristy" things and the most campgrounds. Gatlinburg is the oldest part of the tourist things. I personally like the Gatlinburg area better than Pigeon Forge, but campgrounds are very limited. The national park is at the far south end of the activities, past Gatlinburg. I like to spend a good amount of time in the park. There are several campgrounds that are also inexpensive (compared to the commercial cgs), but are also hard to get, a limited on accommodations and have length limits. Most do not have electric and a 30ft limit. I don't fit.

At the far north end, closest to I-40 is Anchor Down. It is a VERY nice campground on Douglas Lake and is even reasonably priced, but very hard to get into. Booking a year out is needed to get a site. There are also some COE campgrounds on Douglas Lake. Bama Ed has stayed at one near the dam and I've driven through. It is smallish and basic, but a nice COE campground. In Sevierville there are a couple of campgrounds. Two Rivers is close to the main drag and sits on the French Broad River. Douglas Lake drains into it a few miles up stream.

In Pigeon Forge proper, River's Edge is OK. It is one of the older campgrounds. Sites are a little tight, but it has the location. The KOA is right nextdoor/behind River's Edge. It is hard to tell them apart. The DIS Meet 2 years ago was at Pine Mountain RV Park. It is small, but nice and has nice paved sites and a decent pool. It sits right on Mill Creek with sites that back up to the water. Pine Mountain is a few blocks off the main strip. It is quiet, but quick to get places.

There is also a new Margaritaville that is nice. It is up the hill behind River's Edge, so at the south end of Pigeon Forge, closest to Gatlinburg. It is a bit pricey, but has nice amenities, but little trees (literally). They were just planted a couple of years ago when it opened.

Another newer RV resort is The Legend Outdoor Resort. It is on the back road that Dollywood is on, but up closer to Sevierville. We have driven through it a couple of times. It is nice. It seems to cater to bigger rallies. Both times I drove through they had manufacturer sponsored events going on.

Let us know what kinds of things you had in mind doing while in the area and we can help narrow it down for you.

j

Last edited:
I’m not sure of everything we would do, of course, but I know Dollywood would definitely be in the plan. I think we would plan on some natural/nature hiking stuff as well, but have to see what suits us for that. I do know that we (as in the boys) like cooling off at a “cool” pool area, so those lazy river pool/water slide type resorts are high on my list, but asking around here anyway in case someone says “don’t go there!”. I imagine we will stay close to Pigeon Forge to bathe in the “touristy” stuff there. I think we might like to get to some rafting or tube riding as well.

My wife was telling me about some great breakfast buffet she saw for $12.99.., my stomach likes that idea 😋

If you don't need to be in the middle of it all, we found and liked The Ridge Outdoor RV resort in Sevierville. It was less then 10 minutes to anything we cared to get to, fairly quiet, huge sites with 50A full hookup and killer wifi. We also really liked thier pool. The downdside is its newer, so less shading then most people like.

I think all of the campgrounds posted here are worth the thought. We talked about going back and unless we went with friends to Achor Down to just mostly stay there, I think this would be the one I went back to if I didn't choose to me closer to the frackas.

Last edited:
The last weekend to get things done around here before we head out. Truck is now ready. I swapped out and rewired the dash camera on Friday night. Saturday I got started on the interior detail, and doing all the door jams and even cleaning out the debris that gets stuck in the front hood seal near the wiper cowl. That took a couple hours. After that I spent about an hour cleaning out the bed including all the stuff collects behind my toolbox/fuel tank. I have not done that in over a year and I regretted waiting that long. And of course afterwards was the standard washing, and then the fun part.....waxing the beast.

All in all it was a good 7 hours of detailing and I was DONE yet happy with the outcome. All that I have left is to clean the windows, I actualy left that for Wednesday as I like to do that right before the trip.

IMG_6451.jpeg
IMG_6450.jpeg

Sunday with all the detailing out of the way and having to hit the road at 2 to take Lauren to her camp at University of Mary Washington, I decided to get the last of the trailer painting done. It is now completely coated in truck bed liner, and the finish feels durable. I guess we will see how it weathers and if it was worth it. I think with all the prep work I did it will be. All that is left on that is repacking bearings, and rewire the lights before it can leave the garage. I will get the deck boards prepared and installed after vacation.

IMG_6449.jpeg
IMG_6448.jpeg

I am pretty happy with the outcome on both. Melissa is happy since now that I have it all done, I can work on the rest of the list. Tonight I will tackle most of the indoor items (hang two new picture frames, clean the AC filters, organize a few things, and make shopping lists). Tomorrow will focus on packing and any shopping we need to do so that Wednesday is just making sure we have it all loaded up. And then hitch up and grease things when its easier.

4077 , You have gotten some excellent recommendations regarding CG's in the Pigeon Forge area . I have no doubt others will add more or add to ones that have been already. Like now.
We saw the Margaritaville CG prior to its opening . We took the Trolley and it made a stop at the main Margaritaville resort. I doubt that the trees there then have grown substantially to provide much shade. When I see a friend at Christmas time I will ask her. I have checked their website and the price is a bit steep , IMHO .
I concur with Teamubr that the sites at Rivers Edge and KOA are very tight.
Before we went for the DisMeet , I requested a Guide Booklet from the local Chamber of commerce . We found it very informative and helpful . If you should decide to visit The Incredible Christmas Place make sure you give yourself 2+ hours to explore as the place is huge.

Yesterday we got the last of the RV trip prep done on the inside of the RV. One little mod I made was for our knife holder. We changed products because as we bounce down the road the knives would be all over. We considered a holder mounted on a wall, but this one looked like it could work. So this one was ok but the steak knives still would bounce out.

So I modified it with a couple small bungie cords in order to keep them in place.

IMG_6453.jpegIMG_6454.jpeg

My hope is when we are done bouncing thorugh SC that when I open that drawer when we get to Savannah South KOA, I won't find all the knives all over the place.

Jim Very interested in your impressions of the Savannah South KOA.
Safe Travels. Hint Buc Ees is at exit 170, Florence SC.
Flying J at same exit has RV lanes

@FtW Mike Savvannah South KOA is one we like. Pool is open till 9. Or we leave at 6am for the long travel day, we get there around 5-6. It’s a long day but I can still do it. Then pizza and a swim. Water pressure is good, sites are easy to leave, and they made the path out easier by cutting back some trees.

We left Savannah South at about 9am yesterday. We made great time with a stop before Jacksonville and one more at the I4 rest stop for lunch. Now myself and travel partner both carry enough fuel we won’t need to stop till we head home. So it was nice to only need rest areas.

We arrived at FW around 2pm. Check in was butter smooth and assigned site 608 for the stay. we picked this for the kids to be closer to the pool. Sadly it was closed most of the afternoon for storms.

IMG_6461.jpeg

The crazy part is the loop isn’t even full. Post more later. Off to breakfast at Crystal Palace.

Good looking site, James. I saw the picture and started reading your post. I thought the pic was Savannah KOA and I thought, "Boy, that seems a lot like the Fort". :)

Have a great week.

j

I think I stayed there on an overnight, not sure. It was that or I always wanted to stay there. Lol. I am so tired when we do the trip to disney, i dont look around.

Did a little day hike yesterday.

Went up Baldy Mountain in New Mexico which tops out at 12,441 feet above sea level. We parked the car at 8,300 feet and made a 13.1 mile round trip out of it. This is a view of the mountain about a mile into the hike.

baldy+miranda.jpg

Went up this meadow and scaled the last 600 vertical feet of shale to a very windy summit. But it turned out to be a beautiful day.

20230714_135128.jpg

The view was spectacular in every direction.

20230714_134745.jpg

I'm a little surprised my body doesn't hurt that badly today. Glad we had good weather.

ED

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter