The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Sounds like a great 1st Anniversary, James.

Many of you know I'm a big beach person, in addition to a huge Disney fan. I got to ring in the new year at the beach. (Emerald Isle, NC) The 1st was great weather, sunny, low 70s, so I had to start the new year with my feet in the ocean.

20230101_110721.jpg

This didn't last long. The water temp was upper 50s. It didn't stop a group of crazy 20 somethings. They stripped down to swim suits and ran in about chest deep. They didn't last long either (less than a minute). The dogs seemed to love it.

20230101_112053.jpg

Happy New Year!

j

I know the nature trail is still closed, but are the "unfinished DVC to not be named" temporary construction fences still falling apart even after the beach clean up?

WDWNT is on a tirade right now poking the bear about lax maintenance and cleaning and it appears to be working:

Screenshot_20230106-155231.png

Maybe worth a tweet for some flapping scrims and a non existent nature trail

Screenshot_20230106-155240.png

Bert is complaining (as he should) about the number of lights out on the Yacht and Beach club. Again simple maintenance not done. Though I argue it might be harder to get on a roof to change them out.

Ok all, after thinking on it, and then changing my mind 80x , I am retiring in August of this year. Again, not what I want. But I tried the new thing and it is bad. So, i may get my knee done, way overdue, I have some sick time , then use up vacation time , and retire. After that, hopefully go the dismeet next year , then save whatever is left. Or get another job. It will be ok, I just have to come to terms. Its never easy throwing in the towel. But its done. Hope to see everyone on the road soon.

I know you have agonized over this. It sounds like it is best to walk away and look into other opportunities. Sounds like you have choices. That's always good.

j

@Sjm9911 First you are not throwing in the towel, you are making a decision to leave a bad situation. I am sure you can find something related you could enjoy to suppliment income if you really need or want to. Even PT gigs that would keep your certs alive would work. Best of luck on everything and hopefully see you out there

This weekend DW and I made a decision to build some non Disney memories with the girls. After look at a LOT of options plus the desire for warm weather and clear water, we booked a 4 night stay in San Juan, PR for spring break. So now I have 85 days to get into a shape that does not resemble the pilsberry dough boy or stay-puff marshmello man.

@Sjm9911 After look at a LOT of options plus the desire for warm weather and clear water, we booked a 4 night stay in San Juan, PR for spring break. So now I have 85 days to get into a shape that does not resemble the pilsberry dough boy or stay-puff marshmello man.
James,

I think you'll like PR. Our go-to in the Caribbean has been St Thomas, but we have flown through San Juan. Friends lived there for a while and others have travelled there. Lots of history, beautiful beaches and good food.

Here's a teaser from one of our St. Thomas/St. John trips. USVI is only a 20 minute plane ride or 45 minutes on boat.

20190727_175912.jpg20190728_075821.jpg20190802_125828.jpg

j

Last edited:
We looked at St. Thomas too. It was price and accomodations that moved us to PR. The hotel we chose I think has more to keep our teens occupied which was the goal. Biggest downside is we have a 6am departure to San Juan, that is one very early flight. But anything later in the morning was way too expensive otherwise.

Looking forward to sharing lots of photos.

81 days till we hit the Carribean! So far I have managed to get on the bike every day since Sunday. My goal is 30 minutes a day on that, and starting next week start using my pushup board again and get some sets of crunches in. I figure if I can just keep it going maybe the only thing that Pilsbury boy and I will have in common is that near tranlucent dough like skin tone.

81 days till we hit the Carribean! So far I have managed to get on the bike every day since Sunday. My goal is 30 minutes a day on that, and starting next week start using my pushup board again and get some sets of crunches in. I figure if I can just keep it going maybe the only thing that Pilsbury boy and I will have in common is that near tranlucent dough like skin tone.
I’m 49 now… when I was 42 I weighed 185-190 and had the belly starting… I knew if I wanted to be able to keep eating what I liked (and, more importantly I suppose, if I wanted to get myself into a daily exercise routine) I would have to start then or I would never want to. I now exercise every day when it is possible (if I am flying all day long until late, i obviously don’t have the time), which ends up as nearly every day. I do 50 minutes elliptical, 100 crunches, 100 obliques, 60 push-ups, 40 bicep curls, and 30 tricep. I am not trying to build up for Mr. America or anything, but I went down to and now maintain in the 163-168 range. I feel good that I am keeping my body active. Some days I can maybe only get to the elliptical, but I always strive to exercise unless I truly can’t. I don’t love doing it by any stretch, but I know it’s good for me and I watch shows on iPad to make elliptical time go by.

Ok all, after thinking on it, and then changing my mind 80x , I am retiring in August of this year. Again, not what I want. But I tried the new thing and it is bad. So, i may get my knee done, way overdue, I have some sick time , then use up vacation time , and retire. After that, hopefully go the dismeet next year , then save whatever is left. Or get another job. It will be ok, I just have to come to terms. Its never easy throwing in the towel. But its done. Hope to see everyone on the road soon.

Make lemonade out of lemons, Spencer.

And by all means fix up your knee, rest your body and mind, take all the paid leave time you can, and walk away with your head held high. Your friendships and relationships with co-workers can continue in this day and age if you choose to with all the tools available nowadays. (although in my case, though, a few bosses in my old chain of command I would not take their call)

Come down to the sunny south if you want to relocate.

Ed

@4077 I am 47, nearly 48. I got to nearly 200 by 30, and got to the gym every day to avoid rush hour traffic. I dropped down to about 165 at my best and was very muscular, I maintained low 160s in my 30s. In my 40s I had been creaping up and lost some of my muscle mass, I was trying to get my act together when I had my accidnet and surgury I dropped again to 160. I blame the inability to move around and snack in addition to how much more engergy being on crutches burned. I gained some of my weight after I got off the crutches due to recovery time when I pushed it and then during covid I jokingly say I gained the covid 19. Now both the DW and I want to shed this weight we gained even since our wedding. If I lose more then that I will be super stoked too.

So starting out this week is 30 minutes of cardio every day, right now is our stationary bike and my ipad for entertainment. Warmer weather I will get on the real bike. I cannot run anymore so treadmill or jogging is out, it just pounds my heel to hard and puts me down for a day or two every time I try. That's ok, I was never a runner, walkinging, hiking and biking was always my thing.

This weekend I going to add in 3 days a week of push up, pull up and crunches. Eventually get that to a 5 day a week average (plus or minus). Add to that the yard work, house chores, and overall moving around and hiking I think will put me back where I want to me. Melissa is following suit on some things but likely not keep the rep count I do or a of the exercises.

As for plan, what worked is I have a push up block with various positions. I do 10-15 reps of up to 4 positions for 2 sets. I do 3 sets of pull ups (probably start at 5 and work my way to 10+), and then crunches and reverse crunches 3 sets of 10 each progressing to 20. I think I am going to add one rep to each set a week to push myself till I get to the upper limits.

@4077 I am 47, nearly 48. I got to nearly 200 by 30, and got to the gym every day to avoid rush hour traffic. I dropped down to about 165 at my best and was very muscular, I maintained low 160s in my 30s. In my 40s I had been creaping up and lost some of my muscle mass, I was trying to get my act together when I had my accidnet and surgury I dropped again to 160. I blame the inability to move around and snack in addition to how much more engergy being on crutches burned. I gained some of my weight after I got off the crutches due to recovery time when I pushed it and then during covid I jokingly say I gained the covid 19. Now both the DW and I want to shed this weight we gained even since our wedding. If I lose more then that I will be super stoked too.

So starting out this week is 30 minutes of cardio every day, right now is our stationary bike and my ipad for entertainment. Warmer weather I will get on the real bike. I cannot run anymore so treadmill or jogging is out, it just pounds my heel to hard and puts me down for a day or two every time I try. That's ok, I was never a runner, walkinging, hiking and biking was always my thing.

This weekend I going to add in 3 days a week of push up, pull up and crunches. Eventually get that to a 5 day a week average (plus or minus). Add to that the yard work, house chores, and overall moving around and hiking I think will put me back where I want to me. Melissa is following suit on some things but likely not keep the rep count I do or a of the exercises.

As for plan, what worked is I have a push up block with various positions. I do 10-15 reps of up to 4 positions for 2 sets. I do 3 sets of pull ups (probably start at 5 and work my way to 10+), and then crunches and reverse crunches 3 sets of 10 each progressing to 20. I think I am going to add one rep to each set a week to push myself till I get to the upper limits.
Sounds like a plenty good plan to keep the body working well… good luck getting back into the swing of things!

It's been downhill since 30. The Army life aged me like sour milk. I'm hoping the knee repair can pep me up a little bit to get back in to a shape somewhere further away from round or pear. Perhaps the DISMeet in 2024 needs some cardio periods penciled into the plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter