The Daily Rant errrr fix (1/18/2017)

Was coming her to post the same note as I got the same response from the same person (guess Heidi is just faster than me)

If they really did make other comparable arrangements for everyone that is definitely better - and they might want to get word out a bit about that as currently pretty bad press

It's a very nice form letter that I am sure they have been sending out now that there is press about this. Since they used the word 'comparable' I would hope that all the princesses that M&G and CRT would be available at whatever they do. Face it, when you eat there it isn't for the food, I can't think of a single other restaurant on property that is inside a landmark.

Got my response from Disney. Got to say, at least they were quick. And if they say they're worked with everybody impacted to give them a satisfactory resolution, I've got to believe that. Even if it was (to quote Pete) a "douchey" thing to do in the first place. At least now they know how I felt. Here's a cut/paste of their response:

Dear Heidi,

Thank you for writing with your concerns about the upcoming 'Delicious
Disney' event at Magic Kingdom Park.

Here at Walt Disney World Resort, we strive to create unique experiences
for our Guests to enjoy. We understand dining at Cinderella's Royal
Table is a cherished experience and we truly regret any inconvenience
this may have caused. We have worked with each Guest party to make
certain they can experience this special offering,
or another Disney
restaurant of their choice, during their visit at a time that fits in
with their plans.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We will be
sharing it with the appropriate leadership.

Best Regards,

Jenny Keating
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

Awww...how nice of Disney. They made it clear to the impacted guests that, if they wanted, they absolutely could pay the $499 per person for the special event instead since they can't keep their original CRT reservation.

I'm usually someone who shakes their head and doesn't quite understand it when people demand all sorts freebies or other ridiculous compensations from Disney for insignificant problems or the slightest inconveniences that come up - that often times are not even Disney's fault. However, in this case, I don't think it would be unreasonable for anyone who was having the reservation cancelled to demand a lot to make up for what Disney is doing to them.

Last edited:

You know, you are totally right to question my choice of words. Stupid is not the right word for it unless she really, truly, sincerely believes that there is any substitute for CRT. There is no substitute for eating in that castle. To say you gave people their choice of restaurants is just stupid. Their choice was CRT.

You know, you are totally right to question my choice of words. Stupid is not the right word for it unless she really, truly, sincerely believes that there is any substitute for CRT. There is no substitute for eating in that castle. To say you gave people their choice of restaurants is just stupid. Their choice was CRT.

well, she said they would try to see if CRT on another night would fit in their schedule and for some, who perhaps have done CRT before, there could be other options if they were giving them something as well - like Akershus plus a gift bag of some sort ... or BOG which is hard to get as well. depends on the options

I hear ya, and hope you don't think I was being combative in my question, I was trying to understand your point of view. I can hear, and agree with, what you're trying to say, but I also still stand by what I said in my original post - that if they say they "made peace with" all affected families - whatever they, and the affected parties determined that to be - I simply have no choice but to believe them. Unless, and until, I hear otherwise.

I still think their motivation for doing this is "douchey" (as Pete said), but I didn't really expect them to admit that (or at least not an initial response from somebody is Customer Service, basically), but maybe now they at least KNOW that some people have expressed their dissatisfaction with what and how it was done. Sometimes that's the best you can hope for.

I hear ya, and hope you don't think I was being combative in my question, I was trying to understand your point of view. I can hear, and agree with, what you're trying to say, but I also still stand by what I said in my original post - that if they say they "made peace with" all affected families - whatever they, and the affected parties determined that to be - I simply have no choice but to believe them. Unless, and until, I hear otherwise.

I still think their motivation for doing this is "douchey" (as Pete said), but I didn't really expect them to admit that (or at least not an initial response from somebody is Customer Service, basically), but maybe now they at least KNOW that some people have expressed their dissatisfaction with what and how it was done. Sometimes that's the best you can hope for.

That would be great if the response started with:

"The Walt Disney company would like to apologize for being douchey .... "

My email to the higher ups after getting my Jenny email response. Let me know what you think!:

Mr. Iger and Mr. Kalogridis:

I am writing you in regards to a situation which does not affect me personally, but very easily could have as we will be visiting Walt Disney World, staying on property, from January 28 - February 4.

30 families were displaced from their long standing (likely 6 months in advance) ADRs so that a Delicious Disney, a Chef's Series could be held at Cinderella's Royal Table for the night of January 31st. The families were notified about a week ago.

Now, I'm not going to waste my time talking about how Disney made it right for those families and found them comparable reservations. Frankly, I don't buy it. When you tell people their reservation needs to be switched due to an operational issue, they are likely to believe you and just go with the flow, after all, nothing can be helped with operational issues, just rotten luck.

And it isn't like you could say to your guests, "We are choosing to bump your reservation because we came up with a way to have people pay $500 a head and our only obstacle in achieving that is your family's long standing, prepaid vacation plans."

No, what concerns me the most is the mindset that made that acceptable in the first place. Are middle and lower class guests worth that much less to you? You continue to come up with add ons to cater to the elite (after hours, the cabanas) and that is fine.

That is fine until the moment when you cross the line and pander to the elite at the expense of the regular family, who make up your bread and butter. Which you have done here.

If it had been a miscommunication error where you intended the castle be blacked out for this event and for whatever reason it wasn't, why not postpone the event a half an hour OR, difficult as it is to imagine, cancel on those 60 guests deep pockets instead of displacing 30 FAMILIES.

You realize the number of children this has likely disappointed? If they don't all have replacement reservations at the castle, how many of those little girls have been told for 6 months that they would be dining inside the castle with Cinderella had to be told that their reservations were moved to Crystal Palace so now they are eating with Pooh? But, those guests' disappointment is just a casualty to pleasing the elite.

As you can see, I am passionate about this issue. A family whose parents have saved every dime for 2 years (such as mine) for the privilege of bringing their children to the happiest place on earth are NOT less worthy than guests with bottomless pockets. You cannot treat them this way and not anticipate a backlash.

If actions such as these continue, this upcoming trip to Walt Disney World will be my last. We had been looking into buying it DVC and coming yearly. I know it isn't $500 a head for one meal, but it is tens of thousands of dollars of revenue. I would think you would want to show families, like mine, that you know that we are the main source of your revenue stream and that you value us equally.

I will be watching, and listening. I am very sincerely hoping that this was a one time action and you realize how wrong it was to create class distinction and inequality in the Magic Kingdom.

Thank you for this kind consideration in this matter.

[My real name]

My email to the higher ups after getting my Jenny email response. Let me know what you think!:

Mr. Iger and Mr. Kalogridis:

I am writing you in regards to a situation which does not affect me personally, but very easily could have as we will be visiting Walt Disney World, staying on property, from January 28 - February 4.

30 families were displaced from their long standing (likely 6 months in advance) ADRs so that a Delicious Disney, a Chef's Series could be held at Cinderella's Royal Table for the night of January 31st. The families were notified about a week ago.

Now, I'm not going to waste my time talking about how Disney made it right for those families and found them comparable reservations. Frankly, I don't buy it. When you tell people their reservation needs to be switched due to an operational issue, they are likely to believe you and just go with the flow, after all, nothing can be helped with operational issues, just rotten luck.

And it isn't like you could say to your guests, "We are choosing to bump your reservation because we came up with a way to have people pay $500 a head and our only obstacle in achieving that is your family's long standing, prepaid vacation plans."

No, what concerns me the most is the mindset that made that acceptable in the first place. Are middle and lower class guests worth that much less to you? You continue to come up with add ons to cater to the elite (after hours, the cabanas) and that is fine.

That is fine until the moment when you cross the line and pander to the elite at the expense of the regular family, who make up your bread and butter. Which you have done here.

If it had been a miscommunication error where you intended the castle be blacked out for this event and for whatever reason it wasn't, why not postpone the event a half an hour OR, difficult as it is to imagine, cancel on those 60 guests deep pockets instead of displacing 30 FAMILIES.

You realize the number of children this has likely disappointed? If they don't all have replacement reservations at the castle, how many of those little girls have been told for 6 months that they would be dining inside the castle with Cinderella had to be told that their reservations were moved to Crystal Palace so now they are eating with Pooh? But, those guests' disappointment is just a casualty to pleasing the elite.

As you can see, I am passionate about this issue. A family whose parents have saved every dime for 2 years (such as mine) for the privilege of bringing their children to the happiest place on earth are NOT less worthy than guests with bottomless pockets. You cannot treat them this way and not anticipate a backlash.

If actions such as these continue, this upcoming trip to Walt Disney World will be my last. We had been looking into buying it DVC and coming yearly. I know it isn't $500 a head for one meal, but it is tens of thousands of dollars of revenue. I would think you would want to show families, like mine, that you know that we are the main source of your revenue stream and that you value us equally.

I will be watching, and listening. I am very sincerely hoping that this was a one time action and you realize how wrong it was to create class distinction and inequality in the Magic Kingdom.

Thank you for this kind consideration in this matter.

[My real name]
Well done, good for you. Let us know if you hear anything.

Personally - I don't think so - you're stating something you feel strongly about in a firm, respectful, well thought out and stated manner. BRAVO!
Thank you! That makes me feel better!!

There was a lot more I wanted to say but thought better of, lol.

Hold the phone.... Disney offered to let them pay more to join that event instead of their prepaid reservation? Disney did an actual bait and switch here??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

note: I am not an attorney or claim to know exactly what a bait and switch is just saying this doesn't sound like a disney I once knew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter