The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

What the heck are you even talking about? It's literally a brilliant re-interpretation of a classic show versus a stale restaging. In no world was TMM going to win even if Sondheim were still alive. It's just not good.

I'm absolutely devastated. Saw it coming, but sad nonetheless.
I was hoping it would pull through Labor Day weekend (which is around when most shows close) so many rumors abound including someone buying them out. It’s so sad.

Please go see a show if you can. There are various discount sites and apps from today tix to TDF. Even the broadway websites like broadway.com have good prices. Pay attention to the mailers you receive in the mail as they help immensely.

::yes:: One of the reasons I've been posting non-Broadway, lower priced & free performances elsewhere is so people coming here can splurge on Broadway tickets and still be able to afford to see other stuff on other nights.

A friend is going to Lincoln Center's free nightly dancing under the stars tonight. They have NYC's largest outdoor dance floor with a 10-foot disco ball for dancing each night. She'll tell me how it is later.

jfaktjmsosoma453mewh.jpg

FREE Shakespeare in the Park is back at the outdoor Delacorte Theatre in Central Park. They have returned to in-person distributions for free tickets this summer, and the return of TodayTix for their digital lottery.

Right now, Shakespeare's Richard III is playing through July 17. It has a fresh twist with actress Danai Gurira playing Richard III. Ali Stroker, who uses a wheelchair plays Anne.

As You Like It will be playing August 10 - September 11.

https://publictheater.org/programs/shakespeare-in-the-park/free-shakespeare-in-the-park

TIPS: Wear bug spray. The mosquitoes come out in the park after sundown. Bring a hand fan if it's really hot.

If it's likely to rain, (your chances of getting tickets is actually better as other people stay away, :ssst: ) bring an umbrella and a plastic rain poncho, and wear waterproof-ish shoes. You will remain seated during the rain showers. You will get drenched without the gear. Then the performance resumes when the rain stops. They try as hard as they can to continue performances, when possible. I've been to some where it showered 3 times, and finally stopped and the show continued. And once when it showered a few times and finally a downpour came that wasn't going to stop, the rest of the show got cancelled. :(

The last time I saw Richard III there, Kevin Kline played Richard. :love:

I'm so glad to see this thread is still going after all these years, even though I haven't been apart of the thread in so many years. I never imagined a thread I started 13 years ago would still be going. Thanks for keeping it going.

::yes:: One of the reasons I've been posting non-Broadway, lower priced & free performances elsewhere is so people coming here can splurge on Broadway tickets and still be able to afford to see other stuff on other nights.

A friend is going to Lincoln Center's free nightly dancing under the stars tonight. They have NYC's largest outdoor dance floor with a 10-foot disco ball for dancing each night. She'll tell me how it is later.

jfaktjmsosoma453mewh.jpg

So glad you're posting no-Broadway shows. Even though my original intent was to discuss Broadway shows, there are so many good performances that people should know about. For instance, while I won't give out specifics now, my whole family, Me, DW and DD (9 y/o) have decided to audition for a local production of The Sound of Music. I can't wait. Once auditions are over, I'll post more information.

Reminder that most, if not all shows (some they leave it up to the cast) do NOT have stage dooring right now especially with this new variant! If a show is closing soon or someone is leaving a show soon then most likely their last night they might have it, but please be respectful and don't wait outside the stage doors-especially since most actors are asking not to on their socials. (I know the cast of Company wants to close all together at the end of the month, so they are really being cautious. Others like Music Man I know Hugh comes out masked and thanks everybody and usually leaves barely signing anything.)

I'm so glad to see this thread is still going after all these years, even though I haven't been apart of the thread in so many years. I never imagined a thread I started 13 years ago would still be going. Thanks for keeping it going.
So glad you're posting no-Broadway shows. Even though my original intent was to discuss Broadway shows, there are so many good performances that people should know about.

Thanks @CapeCodTenor! That means a lot as you're the OP. :goodvibes When I first started posting about other performances, Broadway had been shut down for the summer. By then, stuck in out homes, we were all just so emotionally and culturally hungry to see any performance, I posted any filmed performances performers posted online, to keep us going. Then as the pandemic Broadway shut down went on and on and on :sad: it was a labor of love and homage to Broadway to keep posting. To keep this thread going with a symbolic candle light, 🕯️ holding the faith that the dark Broadway theatres would come back and survive. I also didn't want this thread to fade away and become another extinct DIS zombie thread. :sad: :sad: :sad: As you said, it has been going for years! A testament to how many of us here love Broadway shows, or have it on their bucket lists for those visiting someday. 🥰

Thanks for the go-ahead to post about non-Broadway performances. I don't go out of my way to look for them. Being a real local here, I just happen to hear or come across the info. The local news likes to do blurbs on performances we might not know about otherwise. Tonight, I walked by a poster in the subway, reminding me of free concerts & dance performances throughout the city this summer. So, I figure visitors might not know about them either. And most are free or not a lot of money. (I'll post about it later.) So, one can save to splurge on the Broadway tickets and still have other things to do on other nights.

For instance, while I won't give out specifics now, my whole family, Me, DW and DD (9 y/o) have decided to audition for a local production of The Sound of Music. I can't wait. Once auditions are over, I'll post more information.

YES! Do tell us about it later. It sounds like it will be a blast for the whole family to audition together. I hope you guys get into the show. 🤞 :hyper:

Reminder that most, if not all shows (some they leave it up to the cast) do NOT have stage dooring right now especially with this new variant! If a show is closing soon or someone is leaving a show soon then most likely their last night they might have it, but please be respectful and don't wait outside the stage doors-especially since most actors are asking not to on their socials. (I know the cast of Company wants to close all together at the end of the month, so they are really being cautious. Others like Music Man I know Hugh comes out masked and thanks everybody and usually leaves barely signing anything.)

Hugh Jackman's had Covid TWICE since the show started. :headache:

Hugh Jackman's had Covid TWICE since the show started. :headache:

Yup, and the second time he announced he had it right after the Tonys show It didn't surprise me as he really looked rough on that broadcast. His eyes were red and he looked like he hadn't shaved that day.

Just curious if anyone here has seen shows in Cleveland?

We have the largest theatre district in the country outside of Broadway and get shows right when they start touring for a minimum of three weeks instead of two.

Just curious if anyone here has seen shows in Cleveland?

We have the largest theatre district in the country outside of Broadway and get shows right when they start touring for a minimum of three weeks instead of two.

No, I haven't been there. Tell us about it. :) Do you get a few shows touring at once? Or one right after another? Do you have some local professional theatres too? (As opposed to community theatres which have open auditions for everyone.)

No, I haven't been there. Tell us about it. :) Do you get a few shows touring at once? Or one right after another? Do you have some local professional theatres too? (As opposed to community theatres which have open auditions for everyone.)
Next year, we will have 38 weeks of touring shows. I believe the number as of now is 11 total.

Usually, there’s only one in at time so that the other larger theatre (Palace and State each seat close to 3,000) can host concerts or comedians.

We do have two professional theatre companies, The Great Lakes Theatre Festival and the Cleveland Playhouse. Both of them operate out of Playhouse Square- same complex as the above mentioned theatres. Tom Hanks got his career started at Great Lakes.

Saw Hugh Jackman at the stage door on the afternoon of
Tony day. He told the young girl
next to me that he wasn’t allowed to sign autographs, so it may be a contractual thing. My impression of him was that he would have if he could have-he was SO gracious. After he told
this little girl he couldn’t sign her
playbill, he told her that he could take a photo with her. She declined, and he asked her if she was sure. 😂 What the what? Hugh Jackman offers to take a photo with you and you say no thanks? 🤣🤣🤣 She must have REALLY wanted that autograph.

Saw Hugh Jackman at the stage door on the afternoon of
Tony day. He told the young girl
next to me that he wasn’t allowed to sign autographs, so it may be a contractual thing. My impression of him was that he would have if he could have-he was SO gracious. After he told
this little girl he couldn’t sign her
playbill, he told her that he could take a photo with her. She declined, and he asked her if she was sure. 😂 What the what? Hugh Jackman offers to take a photo with you and you say no thanks? 🤣🤣🤣 She must have REALLY wanted that autograph.
that autograph could be worth something! But yes if they stage door some don't allow signing while others don't allow pictures! Its really weird. Some leave it up to the cast members discretion as well.

Hi all-I am thrilled I found a Broadway board! Just returned from seeing Six (amazing) and Finny Girl (ehhh..).

I had read the unions aren’t letting the stage door autographs but it seems to be loosely followed. Jane Lynch didn’t even smile at the door-others stopped and hugged strangers.

Next year, we will have 38 weeks of touring shows. I believe the number as of now is 11 total.

Usually, there’s only one in at time so that the other larger theatre (Palace and State each seat close to 3,000) can host concerts or comedians.

We do have two professional theatre companies, The Great Lakes Theatre Festival and the Cleveland Playhouse. Both of them operate out of Playhouse Square- same complex as the above mentioned theatres. Tom Hanks got his career started at Great Lakes.

See, now you've got me thinking I'll have to look into that as a theatre destination for when NYC isn't in the budget. Cleveland is only a few hours drive for me but I've never gone there for a show, only to Detroit, Chicago and Toronto.

See, now you've got me thinking I'll have to look into that as a theatre destination for when NYC isn't in the budget. Cleveland is only a few hours drive for me but I've never gone there for a show, only to Detroit, Chicago and Toronto.
I promise you, our theatre district has far more to offer than those cities- including Chicago!

:scratchin Yes, you both have now got me wondering what other hidden theatre gems are out there in other cities?

Broadway & the London West End are held as the gold standards for theatre. But, even here in NYC, I've seen friends in small workshop or showcase productions in which their performances rival any those of any Tony winner. Yet, because they can't get a good agent or have their Equity card yet, they can't even get into an Equity audition to be considered.

I've also seen some fantastic community theatre & college theatre productions in different areas that are also (almost) Tony level. As @Jonfw2 mentioned, Tom Hanks started somewhere, as have many other incredible, now award winning actors & actresses. I know that Jeff Daniels founded and runs the Purple Rose Theatre, an Equity house in Chelsea, Michigan.

When I was taking a weekend seminar in Dallas, I found out a friend who was in the Mamma Mia national tour, would be performing there that weekend and he got me a house seat to see him.

How about we give a shout out for other local theatres you think are worthy to visit if someone is in the area? :teacher:

Last edited:
NYC Restaurant Week has started in NYC. (Although it is going on for more than a week. :teeth:) In celebration of Restaurant Week's 30th year, the event will be for 30 days this year, with specially priced prix-fixe lunch & dinner menus for $30.

Restaurant Week started out as a few of the most coveted, posh and priciest restaurants in Manhattan that most people could never afford just a dessert, as a way to try out a whole meal. The event has since grown to over 600+ restaurants in all five boroughs of NYC with many different cuisines and levels of participating restaurants.

Check out the different restaurants, menus & neighborhoods:
https://www.nycgo.com/restaurant-week/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter