The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Holiday Inn is on PBS' Great Performances this week. In our area, I believe it's on Friday evening.

Saw "once on this island" in previews last week. I loved it
Lea Salonga's voice is still amazing.

Just closed my local production of Annie. The girl who played Annie was amazing. She has been on auditions for touring companies. Hopefully she gets cast soon.

I just picked up tickets for my wife for Xmas to see Frozen on Broadway - anyone else get tickets? I waited until after the Previews and am going late March - looking forward to it.

Okay. So far I'm two shows into the 2017-18 Paper Mill season and I'm seriously disappointed. Honeymooners was awful, but I met Laura Bell Bundy afterwards and she is a sweetheart. I saw Annie last Saturday and it was... well, Annie. I'm not seeing The Outsider or Half Time but I'm not looking forward to The Sting either.

I saw Spongebob a few weeks ago and it was LIFE-CHANGING. Such a fun and creative production. Ethan Slater is adorable as Spongebob. We have tickets to see it again as a family in January and I can't wait for my family to see it!

I am SO excited to see Mean Girls in April with my sister, hoping to see it sooner. I've heard amazing things about the DC run and I can't wait for it to get over here. I'm like a 16 year old again with a Mean Girls popsocket on my phone.

saw Spongebob a few weeks ago and it was LIFE-CHANGING. Such a fun and creative production. Ethan Slater is adorable as Spongebob. We have tickets to see it again as a family in January and I can't wait for my family to see it!

People seem to like Spongebob more than I expected. I'm trying to decide whether to see it when I'm in New York.

Saw the Mean Girls pre-Broadway tryout in DC last night. The songs aren't super memorable, but gosh is that show hilarious. I enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. Definitely worth seeing, if not "high art" or anything. :)

Had to start a new post just for Dear Evan Hansen but ........WOW! I believe that was the most incredible piece that I’ve seen performed on Broadway (sorry Hamilton, but you’re a close second). Ben Platt has an out of body experience! His acting.....I just can’t even describe. Feel extremely lucky to have been able to see the original cast (no understudies performed when I saw it) and will cherish this memory forever.

I second this comment. Was fortunate to grab tickets to Dear Evan Hansen back in April and got to see Ben Platt. So glad we were able to see him before he left as he was incredible as Evan. Really love the musical as well...beautiful music and really well done. Even my 8 year old listens always asks to listen to the cd in the car (she never saw the musical).

Caught Spongebob and Once on this Island this week. SpongeBob was great fun, though I didn't love the music but the show was silly fun. The girl who played Pearl absolutely stole the show.

Once on this Island was really something special. Fantastic direction and a great cast. If you're on the fence about seeing it, or get the opportunity to go - GO!

There is a little show that came from humble beginnings off broadway called Hamilton that opened in London to five star reviews?

Saw the Mean Girls pre-Broadway tryout in DC last night. The songs aren't super memorable, but gosh is that show hilarious. I enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. Definitely worth seeing, if not "high art" or anything. :)
I really hope this show get the tony.

I found out that someone I know saw "Hedwig" 12 times. But he warned me "It's NOT a Disney-type show".
I realized I didn't give updates on shows I re-visited this week.

Kinky Boots - Like others I went for Brendan Urie but realized it has been almost 5 years since I saw it so was nice to revisit. I thought Brendan was just okay. He sings beautifully (I love Panic and have since high school) but his acting needs some time. We saw it the first show so there were also just a ton of people who acted like they've never been in a theater before. Some shows can take that kind of audience reaction (American Idiot was one) and some actors/actresses are pros at handling it but this group just wasn't. Brendan's entrance is a speaking entrance and so the entrance applause causes a stop and well first night the actress playing the fiance didn't allow the stop so her entire first few sentences were drown out missing a whole nuance to the plot. Charlie is just a pretty flatly written role as well. I think Brendan could have really flourished in say Priscilla where he would have had a lot to work with and a little more fun of a role. He really seemed to fit in the final scene.
With that said the current gentleman playing Lola is amazing. Still tears during Not My Father's Son.

Great Comet - Still a fun night of theater. It is definitely different then anything else out there. This was my 4th visit and still having fun. I can't wait to see what the next Pierre does with the role. I think the more I see it the more I actually fall in love with it.
If only there were actors that could play the role of Charlie

We surprised my sister with Mean Girls tickets this morning and she was so excited she screamed and jumped up and down. Can't wait to see this show with her.

For Christmas my son had gone to the 20th anniversary showing on Broadway of the Lion King , and he sent me the playbill, ticket, and a big booklet all about the actors, producers, etc. It was really interesing-not as good as being there, I'm sure, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Had a two show day yesterday. Saw Once on this Island, which I enjoyed but I think I was expecting to be blown away..

I also saw The Outsiders at Papermill, I enjoyed it, my husband just thought it was ok.

Saw Sponge Bob last week. Although I had read on another online forum that the show was “great fun”and “pure joy” it just didn’t grab me. Im thinking that was in large part due to the fact that this was not the show I intended to see, but because of a series of unfortunate snafus, we didn’t get tickets to the show we wanted.

I have to say the three main characters, spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward, were all excellently done. I felt Sandy Cheeks and particularly the mayor were kind of weak. The highlight for me, though, was an 18 year old Jai’len Christine Li Josey, who played Pearl Krabs. She had a solo of a few fabulous notes, and i believe she got a round of applause. The girl can SING! She won a Jimmy in 2014, when she must have been 14 or 15. I think her career is one to keep an eye on.

My seat was kind of in a fun place. Rear orchestra near to a couple of the theater doors. Before the show, I noticed a security guard standing by one of them, and I thought to myself, “Boy, she is aearing an awful lot of makeup, and her hairdo is kind of weird.” Doh! She was part of the show. Later on, I was privy to a quiet “0h, crap” when one of the jellyfish couldn’t get her umbrella to open properly right away, and I got to see evidence of how hard these actors work by seeing all the sweat on Patrick’s face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!