The Baths Virgin Gorda via Tortola Honest Opinions

tntstults

Mouseketeer
I'm considering going to the Baths on Virgin Gorda when we stop at Tortola on our spring 2023 cruise. Of course instagram shows beautiful pictures, however I've watched several videos where people are standing in a line trying to get through the rocks. That is not what I want to experience. I am thinking that it's likely only like that if you book with the cruise ship. What has everyone's experience been? I read that if you go on your own and go early you can beat the cruise groups. However, it sounds like you have to be first off the ship, briskly walk to the dock where you board to get the early boat transfer. Does anyone know what time the Disney excursion leaves the ship?

I also saw in the videos that there are tight spaces, some climbing up and down, etc. But I have also seen people of all ages do this. Please let me know your opinions of this as well.

If anyone went on your own it'd be helpful if you could let me know who you transferred with and if you booked ahead.

Thank you!

We went on our own. We were still in a line of people going through the rocks. You have to take a ferry to the island and then transportation to the Baths. So regardless if you do the cruise excursion or your own, you'll probably arrive with a group.

We went with a DCL excursion, right now unless something has changed only DCL and one other ship was docking in Tortola, so it wasn’t crowded at the baths when we went. We stuck to the front of the crowd with the guide once we did the rocks portion and weren’t in a line at all, it will get backed up because you do have to navigate them slowly in a few parts. It was a very nice excursion and I’d do it again. We had a nice lunch buffet too when we were done.

We did the DCL excursion to the Baths and really enjoyed it. Unlike other beach excursions, this one has a variety of experiences. It went like this:

- The group walked a trail down to a first beach, where you had some time to swim.
- They gather your group to take the trail through the rocks. To me it was a lot shorter than I expected, but still interesting and fun. Yes, if you're in the DCL group there will be a "line" as people walk/climb through, but it goes quickly. And to me it wasn't really that difficult.
- After exiting, you spend much more time at another beach that was pretty cool. That remaining time was also combined with walking up a trail for a buffet lunch. After lunch, we had plenty of time to go back to this second beach for more swimming. This beach/lunch was the majority of the time.

The rocks part is fun but just a small part of the DCL excursion, I'd say, and added to an interesting experience.

We did the half day in the afternoon. We enjoyed it. Our whole group filed through together, but it wasn’t a terrible line or anything. The first beach was beyond gorgeous. There was some crouching and climbing involved in going through the baths. They warned everyone that if they had mobility challenges they should probably go around.

I'm considering going to the Baths on Virgin Gorda when we stop at Tortola on our spring 2023 cruise. Of course instagram shows beautiful pictures, however I've watched several videos where people are standing in a line trying to get through the rocks. That is not what I want to experience. I am thinking that it's likely only like that if you book with the cruise ship. What has everyone's experience been? I read that if you go on your own and go early you can beat the cruise groups. However, it sounds like you have to be first off the ship, briskly walk to the dock where you board to get the early boat transfer. Does anyone know what time the Disney excursion leaves the ship?

I also saw in the videos that there are tight spaces, some climbing up and down, etc. But I have also seen people of all ages do this. Please let me know your opinions of this as well.

If anyone went on your own it'd be helpful if you could let me know who you transferred with and if you booked ahead.

Thank you!
We went on our own in fall of 2019. Did the hustle off the ship walking briskly to the dock and caught the first ferry. Did not book ahead, just bought our tickets at the counter with Speedy's ferry service. Once we landed in Virgin Gorda, Speedy's put us on an open air taxi to the Baths.

There was one other family with us from the Fantasy at the Baths, so we basically had the whole place to ourselves. The rocks can get tight at times, but just in a couple areas and with good water shoes, can easily be navigated.

We enjoyed an empty beach and even a rainbow to ourselves that morning. One of our best excursions out of 8 dcl cruises.

By noon, the cruise tours were arriving and the crowded lines through the rock formations just as you described began. We caught the Speedy's taxi and ferry back and grabbed a "painkiller" on our return to the ship. We were back on board by 2pm.

The Baths are as beautiful as the pictures make it look and totally worth getting up and out early for on your own.

Let me add that I went beyond the water shoes recommendation and wore keens. Highly recommend.

Like PP, I hustled off the ship and got there before the tour groups. Worth it if you can make it happen!! Definitely wear water shoes …

I would definitely check the port schedule in advance to see how many ships in port on your day. The number of ships can make a HUGE difference to the crowd levels.

We've done this excursion on Disney - the Baths were amazing however, your fellow passengers are not. Take your patience with you. The description clearly states rigorous, strenuous activity and people I guess I don't read it. You will have to climb large, slippery rocks, crawl through small openings, etc. You need to be in relatively good shape. I was shocked about how many elderly people, small children attempted this excursion and quickly learned they can't do it. This is the problem, there really isn't anywhere to just turn around and go back up the hill. So, when someone stops, it holds up the whole line.

I read somewhere that you can take a boat to the Baths and snorkel in and people absolutely love it. Sounds like a more pleasant experience. I think it's an outside excursion company, however, but I'd look into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter