The All-New "unofficial" AKL/AKV's Jambo & Kidani FAQ thread.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at AKV from Fri to Sun. I can help answer some questions. The bead activities are for any ages. You stay with your children and they are all different. Once you complete an activity you receive a bead for a necklace, or keychain sort of thing. They give you a string to put a bead on and you get a different bead for each activity. My kids got 3 and they enjoyed all the activities. One of them was like a bingo came called Bongo and it had animals on the card instead of numbers. It was great fun.

I cannot say enough about the CM's here. They are the most friendly CM's we have ever encountered. We had such a wonderful time at this resort we didn't want to leave! We are now at SSR.

I have to share my experience with a smoker who was smoking all the time on their balcony! By Sunday morning I had had enough of the smoke coming onto our balcony and ruining my kids time out there. So I called down to the front desk and the lady on the phone was fantastic! She was telling me how AKL was smoke free way before all the other resorts and how the smoke hurts the animals especially giraffs because they cannot cough. She asked me if I knew where the person was located and I told her as best I could. I was able to see him from where I was he was sitting there smoking away dispite all the signs on your room and balcony door that tell you not to! Anyway the CM on the phone told me we'll get him because we have cameras all over and can track him down! She was so excited to catch him because she said it was a big no no here. Anyway, we were getting ready to check out and we get a knock at our door. It was the head of housekeeping and a supervisor. They wanted to know what we observed and see if they can spot him out on the balcony! He wasn't they but he left the evidence behind! You could see the cigarette butts in a cup of water on the table! That's all they needed to see and they were able to determine which room he was in. They left and wet straight to that room! I have no idea what they were going to do. Anyway, if you are a smoker, just obey the rules and smoke in the designated areas because at AKL, they will hunt you down!

We were in the Zebra trail section, 5th floor all the way at the end in a DVC studio. When we enterd the room was spotless and beautiful! We had about 3 Giraffe, a couple of Zebras, and a bunch of other animals and birds that were right outside our balcony. Waking up and watching them out there was incredible and so relaxing! We didn't get to go swimming because it was too cold. We did eat at the Mara twice and Boma once. We never left the resort and did a lot of the activities and animal viewing and relaxing in the lobby!

As far as the AKV are concerned w/concierge......if you book a villa w/concierge service through CRO or MS if you are a DVC owner, it does NOT guarantee a Savanna view! Yep...we had it bookd prior to changing over to our cruisee...its either a SV or pool view....and there will not be concierge rooms for DVC in the nw Kidani Village either.
(oops..typos!)

I am wondering about this also. How are the standard view rooms? I will be there Nov 15-19 and I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and share them with ya'll!!!

Standard view = mostly parking lot view for the AKL (regular hotel) rooms. There are a few exceptions, but they're not the norm (some overlooking boma's roof, some obscured savanna views).

Standard concierge are savannah or pool view. It may have changed temporarily during consatruction but the best way to get a up-to-date anbswer is to call the resort.

That's changed, FYI.

All concierge rooms at AKL (NOT AKV, where it is 60% savannah, 40% pool) are now savanna view.

Formerly, there were some smoking standard concierge rooms on the 4th floor that were pool view. When the smoking policy at WDW resorts changed, those rooms were "given back" to regular inventory (I assume, but didn't get it confirmed, that they were swapped for a like number of savanna view rooms), and now ALL standard concierge rooms at AKL are savanna view. You can confirm that with AKL IPO, though CRO still regularly gives out the incorrect info.

Same here - that was my favorite thread. :sad1:

Congrats on post #1,000!! :yay: Pass the Zebra Domes please! :cloud9:

Ditto. Jambo was both my favorite thread AND the most informative thread I think I"ve ever participated in here on the Dis. Hopefully this evolves into something similar...but there is an AWFUL lot of info in that old thread.

As far as the AKV are concerned w/concierge......if you book a villa w/concierge service through CRO or MS if you are a DVC owner, it does NOT guarantee a Savanna view! Yep...we had it bookd prior to changing over to our cruisee...its either a SV or pool view....and there will not be concierge rooms for DVC in the nw Kidani Village either.
(oops..typos!)

This is probably why AKL and AKV should each have their own threads! I think most members have a good understanding of what's going on, and room possibilities, etc. Can you imagine the confusion all this information may cause for someone who just wants to book a room at AKL! :confused:

How long from time plane lands until we get to AKL if we are taking Magic Express bus ?
What time should we be at the bus stop in the am in order to make rope drop at the different parks on non EMH day during a peak attendence week??
What are you favorite things to eat at Mara, Boma and Jiko??

1) It varies, based on both when you visit (as in time of year...the busier it is, the longer it usually takes to check in through the ME counter), what time of day you land (morning tends to be busier than late afternoon), and somewhat luck of the draw (how many hotels are on your bus and which hotels they are).

I've gone from landing to hotel doorstep in about 45 min (early January, first stop on the bus). I've also gone from landing to hotel doorstep in an hour and 45 min (late June, last stop on the bus...). Figure the "norm" is somehwere in the middle.

2) I'd be at the bus stop about an hour and a half...maybe a bit more than that.... before the scheduled rope drop.

AKL transport is especially efficient and you'll probably make it to the park about 20 to 25 min after you get on the bus, at most (that's MK). The question is "How long will you wait to get on the bus". You MAY get right on, in which case you'll be about an hour early (which is when the entrance plaza's usually open up) for rope drop. But you also may have to wait a bus or two, depending on how busy it is (back to time of year...you say peak, so....). So to ENSURE you're there before rope drop....the above suggestion is what I'd go with.

3) At Mara, we love the flatbread chicken pizza, the soups, and Zebra Domes. They used to have a peanut chicken "on a stick" (satay, maybe) but I'm not sure they have it anymore.

At Boma's, we love the soups, the potatoes with affritude, the prime rib, the BBQ ribs (if you're there on the right night),any of the green salads with the mango vinagrette dressing and, again, the zebra domes. Keep in mind, that's just a few favorites. The stuff on the buffet is so good it would take me volumes to write about everything we've enjoyed.

At Jiko's, pretty much everything on the menu is a winner, IMHO. We, again, liked the flatbreads, the filet mignon, the tanglewood chicken, and the halibut are all favorites...as is the pistachio creme brulee.

Can someone help with my Jiko reservation time...we'd like to do the storytelling in the evening, what would be a good time to book dinner, before or after that? We're going in April. thanks.

Storytelling has varied in timing throughout our trips. I think they time it to "dusk"/sunset....

I'm not sure when that will be come April (we've never traveled during that time) but I think it might be around 6:30-ish. If you're travelling with kids, and are taking them to dinner, I'd probably do an early dinner BEFORE that. If you're without kids...after.

Sorry, by section I do mean trail. I think I will go ahead and request Zebra Trail and a King bed. Hopefully this won't be too much to ask. We are also arriving on the 6th - before the marathon crowds - so maybe an upgrade will be possible - we'll just have to see :) Also, I don't think that the fact that it's our honeymoon is noted on our reservations. I know it was on our original one's that we had booked through a TA, but we've since canceled that reservation and booked directly through Disney. I guess I should call Disney and have them make a note for us. I ordered our bride/groom ears already from disney merchandise and we'll be wearing them 24/7, so maybe that will also give them a clue :thumbsup2

Heh...we'll be there on the 5th...but staying AKV. :)

Howdy neighbor!

This is probably why AKL and AKV should each have their own threads! I think most members have a good understanding of what's going on, and room possibilities, etc. Can you imagine the confusion all this information may cause for someone who just wants to book a room at AKL! :confused:

YES!! I am still confused!!:lmao: But that is my regular state of mind....j/k!
I try and be careful if I post something...its one thing just learning abt a resort, let alone throwing in stuff about DVC rooms! There is an AKV expert over on the DVC forums, she is amazing at what she knows! And someone just posted a neat chart over there abt how many rooms,(villas) and views...etc!!:teacher:

Is a concierge room (not on the lounge level) worth it? We have a 2 year old and were wanting a concierge room on the lounge level for its ease. Or is the sunrise safari and extra snacks worth the extra cost? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

PS - Thanks for the bead answer!

Is a concierge room (not on the lounge level) worth it? We have a 2 year old and were wanting a concierge room on the lounge level for its ease. Or is the sunrise safari and extra snacks worth the extra cost? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

PS - Thanks for the bead answer!

IMHO, it's worth it. Heck, IMHO, just the access to booking the sunrise safari makes it worth it. We have little ones, too, and the time to and from the room hasn't really ever been an issue. We've NEVER gotten rooms, when staying concierge, on the actual lounge level. We were always on 5.

As someone else mentioned, even BEFORE the rooms moved to the 4th floor, MOST of them were on 5, not 6 (the lounge level). It's not really much different than before, except you're riding the elevator up 2 floors, instead of 1.

I have booked club level for the first time next May. One reason being to book the Sunrise Safari. The main reason is this: This past May I was at the CR with one grandson and my daughter and the rest of the family was at WL Club. There were many times when they would "run to the lounge" for a quick snack and we would have to run down to the busy food court. I kept thinking next time it will be club level. And it is!! I can't wait.

What are the chances of getting to do the sunrise safari and not being on the club level?

Zero.

You can book the Wanyama (Sunset) Safari if you're an AKL guest (non-CL level) for $210/pp, but the Sunrise Safari is open to CL guests only.

Is it me? Looks like this thread has now been combined with another? Anyone else notice.....I thought Kimmar started Jambo jr, her stuff comes in later?

Is it me? Looks like this thread has now been combined with another? Anyone else notice.....I thought Kimmar started Jambo jr, her stuff comes in later?

Yup, the two have apparently been merged by the mods.

Odd, really.

But, then again, I thought shutting down the original Jambo thread was odd, too. So what do I know. I'm sure the mods are working with a much more global view of what's going on than I am.....

Yes both threads have been combined. The original was getting long and we received complaints about many long FAQ threads. It will always be in the sticky at the top of resorts if you need to refer to it.

I'm going to ask that all discussion of this resort be kept to a minimum. I would like to keep this thread for going haywire and let it focus on questions people ahve about the resort and posting new information. If there is a website with AKL photographs, perhaps we could all store our pictures there and I will provide a link in the thread. Or you could provide a link in your post and I will add it the the original thread under a Photo's heading.
Thank you!

I'm going to ask that all discussion of this resort be kept to a minimum. I would like to keep this thread for going haywire and let it focus on questions people ahve about the resort and posting new information. If there is a website with AKL photographs, perhaps we could all store our pictures there and I will provide a link in the thread. Or you could provide a link in your post and I will add it the the original thread under a Photo's heading.
Thank you!

Then maybe the mods could suggest a place to continue the "Jambo" type of discussion we previously engaged in. Since they've merged the two threads (the FAQ thread and the Jambo jr thread), it seems to me the MODS want to contain both "things" in this one place....

I certainly think the resorts board is the appropriate place to discuss the resorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter