The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

Where is this? Once again proof that looking up is often rewarded with unsuspected surprises at Disney!
Headed off to my 2nd to last 10 hour shift before vacation. But do have time for replying to this one from the phone....

It’s the dome in the Grand Floridian’s lobby. :) You’re right, Magdalene, it often pays to look up!

Interesting timing that this came up in your thread, because I just did my first adult dysphagia observation at the hospital here yesterday as part of my speech-language pathology program. A lot of the people we saw were NPO and feeling very thirsty/hungry, but had swallowing disorders for various reasons. They did modified barium swallows with a lot of them to check whether they could swallow various textures without aspirating, and I thought one poor person was going to eat the whole cup of the apple sauce/barium paste mixture before they could be stopped. They were like, "I haven't eaten since Saturday!!"

I am well acquainted with the swallow assessments. And as nurses, we are VERY grateful for your discipline. An aspiration is no joke. My heart breaks for the stroke folks I cared for who were so hungry and thirsty but couldn't swallow safely. :(

Interestingly, they rarely give Fentanyl on our side of the border. Lots and LOTS of morphine up here. But morphine/codeine/etc. don't agree with me well. (I mean...does morphine really agree with anyone??) And my neurosurgery was in Milwaukee. So it ended up being fentanyl!! Recently we've had a lot of fentanyl-related deaths from overdose in Canada, so every time I hear something about it I always think about the awesome nurses who had me on their caseload and how well-monitored my drug doses were, all with me barely aware of it.

And we only give morphine for the people we know are going to be with us for more than 4 or so hours as morphine knocks you out pretty hard. Since we're an ambulatory surgery center, we don't want to snow people so they can't leave safely. Instead we try hard to get them to a point of swallowing and holding down a few bites of food so we can get their PO pain meds on board which offer a much better, even, and longer lasting relief. We have those too, but it's very, very rare for an OD in a medical setting. Our standing order dose is 25 mcg up to 1.5 mg every 5 minutes until pain is 3/10 or less. I rarely have ever given more than 2-3 doses as I try to get a VORB for 0.5 mg of Dilaudid which, IMHO, works a LOT better.

Sounds like you're moving in the right direction! Good news!

Definitely feeling much better!

Thanks! I think it is called something like "Selective Focus," and you have to be within 20" of something that you want to focus on. And you can't zoom while on that setting.

Seems like it has good results!

Thanks! Yes, there are always lots of great flowers at the Botanic Gardens. I'm usually too busy in my own garden on nice days in spring and summer, so I hardly ever get there before September!

Still lots to see even then! Glad you got out to enjoy the sunshine and flowers!

My heart breaks for the stroke folks I cared for who were so hungry and thirsty but couldn't swallow safely. :(

I can only imagine how difficult it is to see! I can't even imagine being in their position... The dietician we were shadowing had a bit of a catch-phrase she asked those people, or the people she saw with more long-term G-tubes: "Is your stomach hungry, or is your mouth hungry?" So strange and heartbreaking to think about not being able to satisfy those urges that I so take for granted...

We have those too, but it's very, very rare for an OD in a medical setting.

Mmm, yes, and I should specify that the issues with fentanyl up here have been due to recreational use....which is also heartbreaking.

Definitely feeling much better!

So glad to hear it! Your trip is soo close now... :hyper:

I can only imagine how difficult it is to see! I can't even imagine being in their position... The dietician we were shadowing had a bit of a catch-phrase she asked those people, or the people she saw with more long-term G-tubes: "Is your stomach hungry, or is your mouth hungry?" So strange and heartbreaking to think about not being able to satisfy those urges that I so take for granted...

Yes, to not taste pizza or curry again... :guilty:

Mmm, yes, and I should specify that the issues with fentanyl up here have been due to recreational use....which is also heartbreaking.

Our police are carrying Narcan now for such occasions as this. Sad to me someone would need it, but here too it's a gigantic problem.

So glad to hear it! Your trip is soo close now... :hyper:

Yep, so close in fact, I'm just settling in to write my last update before leaving. :dancer:

H is for: Has Tickets, Will Travel!
Well, the time has come. Time to get this show on the road. And then take to the skies. Gonna float me some rivers and lagoons; make tracks on trains; and then explore outer space. Believe me; I will do it! All in the next couple of weeks. I'm nice, so I'll even take you along with me.

Kind of. (um, not the nice part, the take you along part.)

If you're satisfied with a virtual adventure full of good food, exciting stories of misplaced or forgotten important items written in mediocre prose, fun photos, epic scavenger hunts, and spooky tales from a Really-Not-Very-Scary Party, then check back in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, if you want to kick up that Lazy Boy recliner foot rest in Steppe's living room of thrills, by all means, make yourselves comfy; the fridge is full of virtual beer, please put the lid down when your "done", and make sure the dishes are done before I get back on the 6th.

Before I go, let's flesh out a few more details of my plans:

For the party... I've never done any of the Magic Shots around the park. I'm looking forward to destroying perfectly otherwise great photos with stupid, cheesy looks of feigned horror for imaginary aberrations. "Grin like this!", they said. "It'll be fun!", they said.

I might trick or treat too. Simply because I haven't in years. Okay, fine, several decades. Am I the only one here who had a decided orgy of gluttonous candy grabbing as a 7-year old. Small paper bag? Puh-leeeeze!!!

"Mom, I need a pillow case for trick or treating."

"Here's one you can use."

"MOM!! The king-sized ones!"

All kidding aside, yes, I want to trick on a trail, but no, don't really want to tote around more than a few trifling pieces. I have bigger fish to fr... er, tastier treats to try. The lime dessert thingy sounds good and so does that Muenster Burger.

I will make a futile attempt to capture the Headless Horseman again, but have very little hope of actually 1) having him in the frame, let alone B) be in focus. BOO to YOU, Steppe!

Reminder to self: Pick up the Sorcerers Cards at the Fire Station for Zach.

I hear there are live characters on the PoTC Ride. I'm not sure if that's only DLR or at WDW too, so enlighten me, Dear Readers before you pop your popcorn and get settled in.

Now, something I was saving for a surprise, but my bubble's about to burst and I just can't not let the cat out of bag anymore. A certain DISser (I'm talking to you @MeghanEmily ) inspired me to spend hundreds, HUNDREDS of $$, to go frolic with the dolphins. I have never once gone off-property, but can hardly contain my flabby body on this one! Boy howdy! And honestly, I'm not even sure if I'm more happy about kissing a wet nose or floating on a lazy river for hours. Life is... hard right now, and this relaxing (I HOPE!) diversion may be just what the doctor ordered.

This trip's commandment is:

Treat Thyself

You know that Go Big or Go Home thing? Doesn't mean I'm rushing to cram everything in, but I do have a lot planned. That said, I have a LOT of "take it easy" built in as well.

So, back to here we are...

My youngest daughter flew back from Guam today and it was joyous to see her. At 16, she flew all the way, navigating 2 plane changes/layovers all by herself! She loved her summer there, but I am getting off track. I am hoping she'll be awake enough to spend a few hours with me tomorrow as that's the last I'll get to see her before I leave. I work an 11-hour shift Monday, and a friend has graciously offered to take me (and pick me up) from the airport at 3:15 Tuesday morning. Remember that whole Ramada Inn debaucle?! Entertaining, yes. Altogether safe. Most certainly not. So, I'll come home from work, try to find a few hours of sleep, then off I fly. I will be on the DIS off and on until I head to Disney :) But in case I'm scarce or am not able to, Adieu.

Now, Boys and Girls, play nice. Be kind, find peace, and have another beer. I'll pick up the tab this time.

Love you all,

Steppe

Last edited:

I have other TRs that I need to get to, but saw on my TR that you're leaving soon, so.... you jumped to the top of the queue.

Well, the time has come. Time to get this show on the road.

Have a really great trip! Treat yourself. Have fun and enjoy!

I'm nice, so I'll even take you along with me.

Kind of. (um, not the nice part, the take you along part.)

Soo..... not nice. Got it.

check back in a couple of weeks

I will!

the fridge is full of virtual beer, please put the lid down when your "done", and make sure the dishes are done before I get back on the 6th.

:laughing:

You had me (well... I presume you have other things to drink than beer. blech.) until dishes.

I might trick or treat too.

Do that! It was so fun when I went last time. Something that I hadn't done since I was a kid... with no guilt!

"Mom, I need a pillow case for trick or treating."

"Here's one you can use."

"MOM!! The king-sized ones!"

:lmao:

::yes::

I hear there are live characters on the PoTC Ride.

A quick Google search and I found this on Disney Park Blog:

"On Pirates of the Caribbean, new pirates invade the experience, interacting with sailing guests who will join the search for “Gunpowder Pete.” Arrrgh!"

Now, something I was saving for a surprise, but my bubble's about to burst and I just can't not let the cat out of bag anymore. A certain DISser (I'm talking to you @MeghanEmily ) inspired me to spend hundreds, HUNDREDS of $$, to go frolic with the dolphins. I have never once gone off-property, but can hardly contain my flabby body on this one! Boy howdy! And honestly, I'm not even sure if I'm more happy about kissing a wet nose or floating on a lazy river for hours.

Wow! That's great! I remember seeing that on Meghan's TR. It looked like a lot of fun. :)

Life is... hard right now, and this relaxing (I HOPE!) diversion may be just what the doctor ordered.

:hug:
Sorry to hear that you're (still) going through some hard times.

I work an 11-hour shift Monday,

ugh

and a friend has graciously offered to take me (and pick me up) from the airport at 3:15 Tuesday morning.

Very nice friend! Wow!

Have fun! Safe travels!

I hope you have a great trip!
Sounds like you have lots planned to pamper yourself. You deserve it! Enjoy!

For Pirates yes, Gunpowder Pete is part of the ride during the party. Unfortunately I did not get to ride it that night. How and why will be part of my trip report eventually.

Have a great trip!!!

Thanks, Lessa! :)

I have other TRs that I need to get to, but saw on my TR that you're leaving soon, so.... you jumped to the top of the queue.

Well, don't I feel special? ;)

Have a really great trip! Treat yourself. Have fun and enjoy!

I plan on it. It's the commandment.

Soo..... not nice. Got it.

Well, it IS Trick or Treat. Can't I be naughty just this once?

:laughing:

You had me (well... I presume you have other things to drink than beer. blech.) until dishes.

Wait!!! You would leave dirty dishes for me to come home to? Say it isn't so! (And you're accusing ME of not being nice?)

Do that! It was so fun when I went last time. Something that I hadn't done since I was a kid... with no guilt!

Can't wait!!

A quick Google search and I found this on Disney Park Blog:

"On Pirates of the Caribbean, new pirates invade the experience, interacting with sailing guests who will join the search for “Gunpowder Pete.” Arrrgh!"

OH YAY!!! I was hoping it was true for WDW too! What a fun addition. pirate:

Wow! That's great! I remember seeing that on Meghan's TR. It looked like a lot of fun. :)

I'll make sure to bring you all the action!

Very nice friend! Wow!

Have fun! Safe travels!

Thanks, PK! Loads of wonderful coming right up!

I hope you have a great trip!
Sounds like you have lots planned to pamper yourself. You deserve it! Enjoy!

For Pirates yes, Gunpowder Pete is part of the ride during the party. Unfortunately I did not get to ride it that night. How and why will be part of my trip report eventually.

Thanks, Jeff! I do indeed! Not sure if I "deserve it", but I will enjoy it all anyway!

And thanks for the info! I will be very interested in why you didn't get to do that. Sounds like a story is involved....

Have an amazing trip, Liesa! It sounds like you are going to Discovery Cove. I have been wanting to do this so much for so long. But there were always reasons as to why we chose not to, next trip will be in the cold season and I rather want to have weather that is as perfect as possible if I pay so much for the experience. But I am very much looking forward to your report!

I hope your happy place delivers on the happiness!!

Have an amazing trip, Liesa! It sounds like you are going to Discovery Cove. I have been wanting to do this so much for so long. But there were always reasons as to why we chose not to, next trip will be in the cold season and I rather want to have weather that is as perfect as possible if I pay so much for the experience. But I am very much looking forward to your report!

I hope your happy place delivers on the happiness!!

:sunny:I am so super excited for this. I love that it's all-inclusive and has a nice variety of things to do. The thought of being lazy under the warm Florida sun makes me so happy. :sunny:

There may very well be a thundershower, and I'm okay with that. :) I foresee loads of wonderful memories from this one.

And thanks, Magdalene. Coming up very, very soon now!

For the party... I've never done any of the Magic Shots around the park. I'm looking forward to destroying perfectly otherwise great photos with stupid, cheesy looks of feigned horror for imaginary aberrations. "Grin like this!", they said. "It'll be fun!", they said.

Okay, so this automatically increased my interest in reading the TR (if that was possible) by, like 1000%! This is one thread I'm NOT going to miss!! :goodvibes

Reminder to self: Pick up the Sorcerers Cards at the Fire Station for Zach.

Ooh, good call! I wish I'd remembered to do this! I don't even play/collect (though I'd like to change that on my next trip) but the card for the party was Orange Bird...my true love!...so now I'm sad I didn't get it. P.S. The cards are going for, like, $10-20 on Ebay, if Zach decides he doesn't care about it. :P

Now, something I was saving for a surprise, but my bubble's about to burst and I just can't not let the cat out of bag anymore. A certain DISser (I'm talking to you @MeghanEmily ) inspired me to spend hundreds, HUNDREDS of $$, to go frolic with the dolphins. I have never once gone off-property, but can hardly contain my flabby body on this one! Boy howdy! And honestly, I'm not even sure if I'm more happy about kissing a wet nose or floating on a lazy river for hours. Life is... hard right now, and this relaxing (I HOPE!) diversion may be just what the doctor ordered.

Oh my goodness!!! I hope you LOVE it!! And I hope that it's just what the doctor ordered. If anyone deserves a reprieve from life's hardships, it's you, my friend.

Play hard and rest well—hope your trip is fabulous!

Okay, so this automatically increased my interest in reading the TR (if that was possible) by, like 1000%! This is one thread I'm NOT going to miss!! :goodvibes

LOL!!! The Cheese is about to be delivered. :jester:

Ooh, good call! I wish I'd remembered to do this! I don't even play/collect (though I'd like to change that on my next trip) but the card for the party was Orange Bird...my true love!...so now I'm sad I didn't get it. P.S. The cards are going for, like, $10-20 on Ebay, if Zach decides he doesn't care about it. :P

Last year it was Country Bears and last year's Christmas party card had Rover from COP, all super fun! I think it's fun that he has found something in the park to hold his attention and keep him wanting to go with me. :) And when he outgrows it, I just may sell them. :)

Oh my goodness!!! I hope you LOVE it!! And I hope that it's just what the doctor ordered. If anyone deserves a reprieve from life's hardships, it's you, my friend.

Play hard and rest well—hope your trip is fabulous!

I am very certain I will! Your review certainly was the impetus for my booking it. This girl plays hard. ;)

A mix of keeping busy, relaxing, treating yourself, and dolphins = perfect!!! will look forward to reading your TR when you get back, but in the meantime, have a fabulous trip!!!

A mix of keeping busy, relaxing, treating yourself, and dolphins = perfect!!! will look forward to reading your TR when you get back, but in the meantime, have a fabulous trip!!!

I hope so! :) Right now it looks like a solid plan.

And thank you for being here reading! I hope also I can bring back some worthwhile stories and photos for y'all. I will continue to read and post until Saturday as I can, but it'll be hit and miss a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter