ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

OK, so I'm going to tell you a secret. I actually (kind of) like it's a small world. Shhh...don't tell, they might take away my DisDads number for saying that. See, I can't say it's the best ride, but it's just so...Disney. It's become a family tradition that it's the first ride we do on our first day back in MK. It just gives me a warm "yes, we're back" feeling. It just makes me happy.

Ok now I"m going to tell YOU a little secret. I actually like the ride a lot myself. I think it's one of the very few remaining that is quintessentially original Disney and screams of my own visits as a kid. Last time I was in DLR, 2011, they had some of Mary Blair original artwork on display as a traveling/temporary exhibit. I ate it up like leftover lasagna. Yeah, the song gets annoying after about 3 minutes, but it is a once a trip ride for me.

(I'm glad I have a fellow Disney Dork. And I promise not to tell the DISDads who are on this thread. ;) )

I love the more artistic shots of Disney. As much as I like the castle, seeing the same view of it for the 8000th time is not all that exciting. I'm also sad I don't have the natural talent for composing and taking pictures like that.

Same, same. It's fun as a photog to seek out the more unusual perspectives and shots. I especially love macro and Disney is a fun place for that, but sadly I didn't do much of that this last trip.

One of the best reasons for becoming a parent is having license to embarrass your kids. I try to take any opportunity. Examples, you say?

Well, yeah, of course. Daily to children: "How can I make you cringe today, Dear?"

What's that (then) 14 year old DD, you think dads who wear socks with sandals and tuck in their shirts are "lame". Oh look, it's time for picture, and I'm wearing my "great dad" Father's Day button as icing on the cake! (just to be clear, I don't actually dress like that, it was more of a embarrassment challenge at that point).

Oh the looks on their faces are priceless! The eye roll, the unsuccessful attempt at the get-me-out-of-here sprint. Just perfect!

What, you mean that's not the Canadian national costume? ;)

And what's that other daughter? You don't like Star Wars and think May the 4th/Star Wars day is a stupid idea? OK, time to let daddy walk you to the bus stop!

Well, yes! Every dad needs to hone his art of the Bus Stop Walk. You have it down to an art!

When I was 17, I have no idea where it all went. I could eat like a horse and was still skinny as a rake. Now, I can tell you without question that every Hersey's Kiss eaten during Christmas has gone directly to my waistline.

Sigh.... You hit 40, didn't you? I was the same way until I hit 30 or so. Then it all hit the crapper after that.

I've been there once, maybe twice, and I think the same. It's not overly memorable, but it's fine. I would have no problem going back.

Fills the belly, but yeah, probably won't go there unless we need food stat and it's close by. I'd still choose Pecos' over it.

We were in a great position for the Cadaver Dans--those are great pictures!

IKR!? I really enjoyed them a lot! Fun bunch of guys with nutty humor. They really had a nice repoire with their audience.

Last edited:
Great summary nice to read your thoughts. I do like IASW also. You can remain in your wheelchair in this ride which is neat. I had the tune as my Iphone ringtone for a while before changing it to Pirates. I would like the HM next...

Great photos. I like the Disney details too. I read a book called Be our guest once. I really aporeciated the details after that.

Thanks for sharing!

And I do believe I found the scariest of them all to torment and terrify my children beyond anything they could possibly imagine. I mean isn't that my job as a parent? Find the things they least like to do; ones in which they will do anything to get out of? You know, like do the dishes or clean their rooms.

It is absolutely your job. Since I'm in the trenches of toddlerhood right now, I tell myself all the time I'm going to get my due when they are teenagers.

Awww, the little dancing dolly ride. And that cute little song. You know.... a smile means friendship to everyone!

Ha. How did I know this would be the torture device?
My son used to be (he might still be, I don't know) obsessed with this attraction. On one trip, he convinced us all to go on it no less than 7 times in one vacation.

You better believe I plan on making him "re-live" that adventure when he's older and detests it. :rotfl2:

We kept wandering around, passing this (possibly one of my favorite shots of the whole night)

That is a great shot! And very fitting for the MNSSHP.

I don't know about your household, but there may possibly BE nothing more blood curdling than 2 teenagers who've been deprived of food for more than 3 hours.
:rotfl:

After all the running around, and being in a hurry to cram as much in as possible, I'd bet a lot of folks are hungry by 11:00 and needing a heavy snack, not popcorn and ice cream.

That is frustrating. I know not everyone wants a full meal that late at night, but the flip side of that is not everybody wants junk food that late. Or at all. I'm happy to hear you found some decent chicken and green beans. I'd be a little nervous ordering fresh vegetables at a quick service location if only for your train of thought. I'd worry they killed the beans to death by overcooking them. I'm glad that was not the case!

And I do believe I found the scariest of them all to torment and terrify my children beyond anything they could possibly imagine. I mean isn't that my job as a parent? Find the things they least like to do; ones in which they will do anything to get out of?

Absolutely! That's job #1, even before feeding and clothing them.

Awww, the little dancing dolly ride. And that cute little song. You know.... a smile means friendship to everyone!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Since we're already here and the kids now must endure 15 minutes of torture, you're going to also.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo...

Their humor was rotten, very similar to their corpse-like appearances. The corny factor ran way high with these guys, and as always their harmony was tight and en pointe.

Dad jokes and tight harmonies? Count me in!

Did any of you know that once upon a million years ago I sang with a Sweet Adelines Group? Your Steppe Trivia of the day. You're welcome.

Interesting, and very cool!

I may or may not have sung in both the full choir and men's choir in high school. Men's choir was a blast. We would come up with special acts, such as dressing in safari outfits to sing The Lion Sleeps Tonight. We took great pleasure in beating our women's choir in competitions. Once we were in a competition, sang our first song in tuxedoes, and then stripped on stage to reveal pirate outfits underneath for our second number. We had the judges eating out of our hand.

A 3 year old waking up after a root canal at a surgical center after getting Propofol and Versed.

Ask me how I know.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Um...I'm gonna pass.

Great music, Broadway quality voices, all the coolest Villains including Cruella, Oogie Boogie, Hades, Jafar, and so many more, pyrotechnics (sorry, folks, NOTHING more bombtastic than chemical fire. Well, ok, maybe a bleve from a distance.)

Pyrotechnics make everything better!

They'd gone an agonizing 5 hours. The Abusers Anonymous number is 1-800-Wht-Ever.

Hey, the theme of the night is evil. You're good. Well, bad. Whatever.

It was a chicken dinner and a couple cups of generic mac -n- cheese. Use your imagination. Or Google.

I think we can figure that one out.

IMG_0581.jpg

I love the widescreen look!

Instead we waited... oh... <consults Notes on phone> about 23 minutes.

:faint: Note to self: travel with @pkondz from now on.

I hope it's inspired you to try it before Disney pulls the plug on it. (They do that occasionally, you know.)

:sad2:

It does look like fun!

OK, so I'm going to tell you a secret. I actually (kind of) like it's a small world. Shhh...don't tell, they might take away my DisDads number for saying that. See, I can't say it's the best ride, but it's just so...Disney. It's become a family tradition that it's the first ride we do on our first day back in MK. It just gives me a warm "yes, we're back" feeling. It just makes me happy.

Aha! Busted! Turn in that DIS Dad card, mister!

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

Ok, fine. You have made amends. Here's your card back.

Great summary nice to read your thoughts. I do like IASW also. You can remain in your wheelchair in this ride which is neat. I had the tune as my Iphone ringtone for a while before changing it to Pirates. I would like the HM next...

Thanks, Polly!

Yes... a little story:

My aunt, one I was very close to, got ALS in 2010. In 2011, my mom and I took her to DLR for her last vacation. Ever. She had grown up going to that park like most other kids would go to their neighborhood park. She passed away only a few months after that trip. But one very vivid memory I have of that trip with her is going on IaSW, her in her wheelchair, eyes like saucers as she re-lived a HUGE part of her childhood. She literally pointed and oohed and aahhed at each scene like a little girl. It was a very poignant moment to say the least. Then, we proceeded to be stuck on it....

for 3 times around!!!

For some reason they couldn't get our boat onto the track that they could offload the wheelchair, so she/we got to go around for 3 times. We were all laughing so hard we nearly peed ourselves. The irony!

Anyway, I make fun of it, but deep down, I really do enjoy the ride, knowing it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Great photos. I like the Disney details too. I read a book called Be our guest once. I really aporeciated the details after that.

Thanks for sharing!

OHhhh, I"ll have to look for that one. Sound intriguing.

It is absolutely your job. Since I'm in the trenches of toddlerhood right now, I tell myself all the time I'm going to get my due when they are teenagers.

Payback is sweet! I LOVE having teens and adult kids now.

Ha. How did I know this would be the torture device?

I'm just that evil! Muahahaha! ;)

My son used to be (he might still be, I don't know) obsessed with this attraction. On one trip, he convinced us all to go on it no less than 7 times in one vacation.

You better believe I plan on making him "re-live" that adventure when he's older and detests it. :rotfl2:

It's your sacred duty.

That is a great shot! And very fitting for the MNSSHP.

Thanks!! I like it a lot!

That is frustrating. I know not everyone wants a full meal that late at night, but the flip side of that is not everybody wants junk food that late. Or at all. I'm happy to hear you found some decent chicken and green beans. I'd be a little nervous ordering fresh vegetables at a quick service location if only for your train of thought. I'd worry they killed the beans to death by overcooking them. I'm glad that was not the case!

Cosmic Ray's is a solid option if you need it. Wouldn't be my first choice, but nice to have there if needed. I'd have liked to have experienced sitting in there checking out Sonny Eclipse, but that didn't happen this trip.

Absolutely! That's job #1, even before feeding and clothing them.

Looks like I'm in good company!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo...

Happy Halloween!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dad jokes and tight harmonies? Count me in!

To top it off, each one had a costume that depicted HOW they died. It was so cool! One was trampled by a horse and had horseshoe marks all over him, another was axed in the head, I think another was burned at the blacksmith fire? And the 4th was shot while cheating in a card game- Ace up his sleeve and all. Totally added to the schtick!

Interesting, and very cool!

I may or may not have sung in both the full choir and men's choir in high school. Men's choir was a blast. We would come up with special acts, such as dressing in safari outfits to sing The Lion Sleeps Tonight. We took great pleasure in beating our women's choir in competitions. Once we were in a competition, sang our first song in tuxedoes, and then stripped on stage to reveal pirate outfits underneath for our second number. We had the judges eating out of our hand.

I guessing... may have. Or definitely did. Seems to be too many details here, so am excluding "may not have".

Very cool, Mark! Fun memories for sure. Reminds me of high school band days and the traveling competitions- taking home trophies was pretty darn cool. I'm starting to wonder if your group took home dollar bills instead? Seems a little Chippendalesque stripping out of tuxes and all. ;)

Um...I'm gonna pass.

Pass what?

3rd door down on the left. Fan switch on the wall.

Hey, the theme of the night is evil. You're good. Well, bad. Whatever.

I was born to be a Villain. Or mom. Same thing.

I love the widescreen look!

Thanks!

:faint: Note to self: travel with @pkondz from now on.

Yes, but can he avoid the rain.

I didn't think so.

Aha! Busted! Turn in that DIS Dad card, mister!

:rotfl2:

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

Ok, fine. You have made amends. Here's your card back.

OMGosh, the looks on the girls' faces. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I know you are just finishing up and I am late to the party but I thought I would join in anyhow. Happy New Year! - I hope it's a good one for you and the family. As I am only at page 15 and just arrived I've a bit of catching up to do. I feel you on your forgotten shoes - I just cannot manage to get it right for my feet at WDW. Nowhere else do I have problems with my feet even with lots of walking. I may be back to comment but carry on in the meantime!

I know you are just finishing up and I am late to the party but I thought I would join in anyhow. Happy New Year! - I hope it's a good one for you and the family. As I am only at page 15 and just arrived I've a bit of catching up to do. I feel you on your forgotten shoes - I just cannot manage to get it right for my feet at WDW. Nowhere else do I have problems with my feet even with lots of walking. I may be back to comment but carry on in the meantime!

Oh no, no, NO! Just getting started!!!

That was only the final chapter of the Halloween series. LOTS and LOTS more to come!

So glad you've joined in! Very glad you're here to join us!

Shoes.... oy, if it's not one thing forgotten it's another. Who'd have thought you needed to put SHOES on your packing list?! LOL!

Okay, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Here are the last 2 photos for the A-H portion of the photo part of The Contest. After I post the answers to all the photos (A-H) and your scores up to this point in the TR, we'll move on and scores will be final as they stand.

Today's offerings are both gables of buildings somewhere on Disney Property.

As always, the location or name of the location will begin with 'G' and 'H' respectively.

Please PM me your answers using a thread you may have already started, and I'll get everything tabulated soon(ish). We're expecting a snow/ice storm this weekend and I'm working Monday, and have some work to do on my Africa trip, so may be tied up a bit more than usual for a bit.

Good luck!!!

#1- G

Easy peasy!!

#2- H

Mostly easy-peasy.

Oh no, no, NO! Just getting started!!!

That was only the final chapter of the Halloween series. LOTS and LOTS more to come!
Well, that's good news!

So glad you've joined in! Very glad you're here to join us!

I feel like I know so many of you already - thought I should see what you got up to on your own trip report.

Shoes.... oy, if it's not one thing forgotten it's another. Who'd have thought you needed to put SHOES on your packing list?! LOL!

I have forgotten different things over the years - some are more inconvenient than others. I remember trying to track down a swimsuit in Austria and ending up with some sporty number. Oh yes and contact lens fluid in Europe where I didn't speak the language.

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt dying of ALS. But I was warmed by yiur story about her enchanted not once, nit twice but thrice on IASW at DL. It was if life was throwing her a curtain call. I will think of that dear lady Aunt of yours next time I have the previledge of riding it.

Oh, I always watch where (and when) I roll these eyes.

:laughing:

Well, only if you're sure. Don't wanna pull you away from a parade now. (Must keep eyes firmly ahead...)

:sad2:

And I'd actually like to see those someday.

So would I. Ruby's put them away.... somewhere. I'll have to dig.

I'm curious to see if you can (and will) pull this off....

You and me both.

But Les Mis> Phantom, but only VERY barely. The story of the redemption of a lost soul is a little more touching to me than the story of a deep love pursued in the wrong way. Meh, maybe a discussion for DISMeet.

Phantom > Les Mis.

::yes::

Sometime before or after Hallowishes (Really does it matter? Take the story for what it is, ok? Your Humble Authoress is having long-term memory loss)

That's why I have notes.
And it's always an adventure, afterwards....

"What does this mean?... I did that???.... What????"

We all still had plenty of life left in us

This disqualifies you from HM residency.

And I do believe I found the scariest of them all to torment and terrify my children beyond anything they could possibly imagine. I mean isn't that my job as a parent?

Of course it is. Our parents did it to us.

How is it even possible that the minute you ask any of them to do such horrifying acts of drudgery, they suddenly have to use the bathroom (for a looooong time...."Still busy, Mom!") or they have "reading to do for school"?

:sad2: And they think we didn't do that when we were there age? Come on. You ain't foolin' no one.

Well, yeah for an old fart like me with neck problems.

"Old fart"..... :lmao: Hardly! Look at Liesa everyone! She make funny joke!

The line for 7DMT? Oh yeah, that one's pretty frightening. But we'd already seen that little cottage of questionable comings and goings. (Rohypnol, anyone?)

:laughing:

Casey Dogs? We'd be re-visiting that all night long. (Doesn't everyone?)

No. Just you.

What is wrong with you?????????

THEEEERE we go:

No!!!!! Anything but that!

Feeling..... ill.

Since we're already here and the kids now must endure 15 minutes of torture, you're going to also.

Ha! Nope!
<stops reading. unsubscribes.>

Well, fine. Take your VIP Pkg and go, but you just missed my favorite picture I took all night long. So there.

Wellllllll........ fine.
I'll go back and look at the rest, then.

But only because I'm a sucker for a good photo!

OK, so I'm going to tell you a secret. I actually (kind of) like it's a small world.

Please be advised @Terra Nova guy that this transgression has been noted and appropriate authorities have been notified. Please be prepared to explain how you were "just kidding" or face immediate expulsion from the DISdads club. Please pay a "even if you were joking" fee of one pound of bacon per member.
Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter