That didn't take long...Skyliner Accident

There's a video on the DIS Unplugged's Youtube channel of a ride through on the gondolas. There were open windows, but they were more like vents and they were up near the ceiling and it's not like you could reposition them to open them more or close them. So if there is no breeze, even though there technically IS an open window, it won't help you much because there wouldn't be any airflow in the gondola.

All the more reason why these should have been installed with A/C units from the get go. Give it a few months, and those gondolas will smell like a stinky butt.

just to let you know monorail just had a 2 plus hour stoppage with rescue last week
There should be a Rescue Around the World experience. Monorail, Boat, Skyliner, and Bus. $799, includes emergency kit, pin set, and Minnie Fan (batteries not included). DVC and Passholder discount available on select nights. Firework Dessert Party featuring Chip and Dale Trail Mix and Goofy gummies for an extra $99.

With all the I-phones recording inside the gondolas and outside the area - WDW will have some law things going on - Do not accept the money or ticket and be part of the .........

Something must be fixed - not only A/C added - but safety escapes planned, water tubes to inflate over the lakes, escape ladders, two way emergency communication, bumpers add to each gondola - so no rear ending each other, and more.....
Feel free to add more safety features

You honestly think they didn’t plan for that? Come on. If we’re going to be outraged, let’s not invent things to be outraged about.

That is exactly what most of this thread is about.

With all the I-phones recording inside the gondolas and outside the area - WDW will have some law things going on - Do not accept the money or ticket and be part of the .........

Something must be fixed - not only A/C added - but safety escapes planned, water tubes to inflate over the lakes, escape ladders, two way emergency communication, bumpers add to each gondola - so no rear ending each other, and more.....

Nothing is going to be changed as nothing needs to be changed. Gondolas bumping into each other slowly because one did not attach to the main line is a very minor incident. They will determine the issue very quickly and which will make something very safe even safer, all safety system

Last edited:

Escape ladders? I'm afraid I can think of little that would be less safe than that. Water tubes over the lakes comes close though.

FWIW the cabins do have an emergency call button in them. As there wasn't an emergency while we were riding them so I did not test it out to see exactly how the operation of them was.

I am surprised by this particular incident but I'd consider it like a car fender bender. Of course it stalled things for quite an amount of time but I'd believe it will cause an operational review of what could/should have been done to expedite getting the system moving again. I'd not look forward to being stuck in them during the day in weather like there was last week but I actually am not put off from riding. Now if they can't figure it out and it's happening every other week? At that point I'll probably skip it. I'm fairly impressed with what the actual evacuation looked like and that they have a "comfort" kit in each cabin.

You forgot hot air balloons, parachutes, rocket backpacks, heck this is Disney they should have Star Trek Transporters for goodness sake!!!!

All the more reason why these should have been installed with A/C units from the get go. Give it a few months, and those gondolas will smell like a stinky butt.
This sounds like you think they will never be cleaned. Why?
I'm not scared to ride the monorail. But I am afraid to ride a skyliner. Which is my choice.
Absolutely. But the sky isn't falling, the world isn't ending. Ride if you want, don't ride if you don't want.

I wonder how many of those talking worst case scenario and hating on the skyliner will actually ride it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!