Thanksgiving

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
We are finally going to be in WDW on Thanksgiving. Dh and I are both essential workers and work holidays/weekends so this is the first year neither of us has to work! (Well, I have to work third shift on Thanksgiving but get out at 8 am and head straight for the airport)

We are booked in a cabin. Family of 5- kids 17,7,5. We are dvc members but I have always wanted to stay at the Fort for a holiday. It looks so festive and fun. I think the little kids are the perfect ages to have a good time there.

We have never stayed there, only did a day trip to do archery and horse back riding.

Does any one have any tips on being there for Thanksgiving? Am I making a good choice? It is a super expensive stay compared to other times of the year and I could just use dvc points to stay somewhere else instead. I just feel like this is the best opportunity to stay there. We are short on points this year and the kids might not like it a few years from now.

I am thinking no park on Thanksgiving. Looks like there is enough to do just staying at the Fort?

We have stayed at multiple resorts throughout the years and while we enjoyed them all for different reasons, we liked the Fort best. There is a lot to do there from canoe rentals to horseback/pony rides. You might check, but Trail's End could have a Thanksgiving dinner.
We have either brought our own or rented a golf cart. Some like us swear by them for getting around and sightseeing, others like the great and powerful @bama_ed don't feel the need. We enjoy looping, just cruising around the loops looking at people's sites.
The cabins have a pool close which we really enjoy, but the kids will probably like the feature pool over at the Meadows better.
We haven't done parks the last couple of times we were there.
For more cabin details, and fill in on what I missed I'm sure others will add their insight. We have always stayed in our own RV.

Last edited:
In a cabin, I'd go for the cart. The cabins are a little more remote than some of the camping loops. They are up closer to the entrance (Outpost). Most of the "activities" are towards the Settlement where Trails End, Hoop-D-Doo, the horse barn, one of the Trading Posts and the boats to MK are located. I usually fall somewhere between Ed and Stratman on the cart front, though. If I'm in a loop close to the Settlement, I'll pass on the cart. Out in a Full hookup (about as far as the cabins), it's definitely a cart.

One thing that is very different than most of the regular on-site resorts is the overall atmosphere. We have stayed all over from Old Key West to All Star Sports, the Fort has a much more relaxed, laid back feel. It invites you to take it easy and enjoy everything it has. The other resorts always seem to have a hustle and bustle to them. People are in a hurry to get to the next thing. Not as much at the Fort.

Make sure you save time to check out things at the Fort. Hoop-D-Doo is totally corney fun, the campfire each night with Chip and Dale and the sing a long before the movie is great. Your 17 y/o old may find it too silly, but your younger kids will love it. You all will probably like a carriage ride around the Fort and seeing MK fireworks from the beach is great. They have the music playing so it is sort of like being there. If you are into 1970s retro, hang out on the beach for the EWP, Electrical Water Pageant.

If you can't tell, we are all pretty partial to the Fort. While I have stayed at a lot of places on property (I'm trying to work a short trip to Boardwalk or Beach Club sometime soon), the Fort is "home".

j

Last edited:

Not sure I understand how many night's you'll have the cabin and if you do a no-park stay how that would fit in. In the past there have been no special activities at the Fort like a golf cart parade or Scavenger Hunts or 5k's or a DJ beach party for Thanksgiving as there are for other holidays in the year.

Also, the Fort may not be in its Christmas decorations yet if you are leaving on Thanksgiving Day. But many campers will be decorating their campsites which are best viewed after the sun has gone down and the colored lights are turned on. (Cart would be nice for that - it's called 'going looping' or taking the cart around the various camping loops to see decorations). Generally cabins don't get much decorating but there is no reason you can't put something out (pursuant to rules, of course).

If no park, I think you could enjoy the Fort over two full days. MK fireworks and music down on the beach, The Electric Water Parade, looping, visiting the new Tri-Circle-D Horse Barn, the campfire/singalong/movie, pool and game/field activities for kids in the afternoons, arts & craft opportunities like tie-dyeing tshirts (fee), following the railroad ties between 700 and 800 loops, fishing in the pond in front of the Bike Barn, renting a canoe or kayak at the BB.

On our non-park days, we do monorail rides (boat from FW to MK, catch monorail to TTC, transfer to monorail to Epcot, and then do it in reverse with maybe stopping for ice cream or a snack at one of the MK resorts. We play putt-putt at one of the two locations on property. We bus over to Disney Springs and walk around. We go to see Yeeha Bob's evening shows at Port Orleans Riverside. With what's at the Fort, you can easily fill a few days without hearing, "Mom, I'm bored".

So I say try it.

Bama Ed

PS - our family will be at the Fort camping during Thanksgiving week. Hope to see you there!

PPS - if you end up wanting a Disney rented golf cart (and you can squeeze 5 people in one as along as everyone is seated), I suggest calling to try to reserve one NOW because they usually book up full well in advance of the major holiday times.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Right now, we are scheduled to arrive on Thanksgiving and staying 3 nights. I called today to line up a golf cart.

@bama_ed- We are arriving Thanksgiving for 3 nights. Moving to Legoland for 3 nights and then Universal for 3 nights. I am really hoping to see lots of Christmas decor. Is there much difference between keeping the 3 nights starting Thanksgiving vs. switching to the next weekend as far as camper decorations?

Last edited:
My experience was on Thanksgiving day The Fort was in FALL Decor. The following morning Christmas had " Officially" exploded all over. Many of the SITES were decorated by the campers
As for a TRADITIONAL THANKSGIVING DINNER. in the past when Trails was Buffet Style they did have the traditional fare as an option. This past Christmas we went to Whispering Canyon in WILDERNESS LODGE and while the prior 2 years we had Traditional fare but not last year. We found the meal a Southern BBQ heavy on pork

I am really hoping to see lots of Christmas decor. Is there much difference between keeping the 3 nights starting Thanksgiving vs. switching to the next weekend as far as camper decorations?
Never been for Thanksgiving but we have been the second week of December. The loops were not decorated to their most insane as they would be just before Christmas but there was a lot to see. Plus it was fun to loop during the day and watch people decorate their sites, then repeat the process later that night just to see how much was accomplished.

Last edited:
We are finally going to be in WDW on Thanksgiving. Dh and I are both essential workers and work holidays/weekends so this is the first year neither of us has to work! (Well, I have to work third shift on Thanksgiving but get out at 8 am and head straight for the airport)

We are booked in a cabin. Family of 5- kids 17,7,5. We are dvc members but I have always wanted to stay at the Fort for a holiday. It looks so festive and fun. I think the little kids are the perfect ages to have a good time there.

We have never stayed there, only did a day trip to do archery and horse back riding.

Does any one have any tips on being there for Thanksgiving? Am I making a good choice? It is a super expensive stay compared to other times of the year and I could just use dvc points to stay somewhere else instead. I just feel like this is the best opportunity to stay there. We are short on points this year and the kids might not like it a few years from now.

I am thinking no park on Thanksgiving. Looks like there is enough to do just staying at the Fort?
We stay at the fort in our RV every year. Last year we were there from 11/1-12/1. There will be plenty of Christmas decorations up, people put them up right after Halloween. Looping at night looking at the decorations in the golf cart is sooo much fun! Also fun to loop on Thanksgiving day, people cooking outside, watching football, gathering and socializing. The fort is a special resort. Enjoy! We will be there for the Month in November. Can't wait!

There will be plenty of Christmas decorations up, people put them up right after Halloween.

I agree with @NikkiStack. In fact, the one time in the past I was there for Thanksgiving, I was sort of surprised at the LACK of Thanksgiving/Fall decorations. They were all Christmas decorations mostly (those that were up) even for guests staying only in the month of November.

Bama Ed

I just remembered that in the past There was a group that would come in for the second weekend after Thanksgiving and stayed in cabins. They were a hoot. They ALL dressed in a different theme every day and had their own Golf Cart parade and decorating contest. not sure if they still come would need to do some research

I just remembered that in the past There was a group that would come in for the second weekend after Thanksgiving and stayed in cabins. They were a hoot. They ALL dressed in a different theme every day and had their own Golf Cart parade and decorating contest. not sure if they still come would need to do some research

Also, Mike, there used to be a group that would come in around Thanksgiving IIRC and camp in the group area "Creekside Meadows" that had large, authentic looking indian style teepees. I think they had booked in as a group like the one you mention above probably did.

Wonder if either will be there this year. :confused3 ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter