Thanksgiving week....which value/moderate resort?

mickeystoontown

DIS Veteran
We have been to WDW twelve times over the last ten years so we are very knowledgable about getting around, fastpasses, etc. We normally go in May and June and once, in 2000, we went Thanksgiving week.

We had to cancel our June, 2008 trip and are thinking about rescheduling for Thanksgiving, 2008. We would be leaving our house on the Friday before Thanksgiving and would arrive the Saturday before Thanksgiving around 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. We would be staying through the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving, 2000, our weather started out so nice. We wore jeans and/or lightweight pants and t-shirts during the day and carried a light jacket for the evening. That is until we woke up on our third day and the windchill was 30 degrees. The weather stayed very cool the rest of the trip. Needless to say, we came home with WDW long sleeve t-shirts and sweatshirts.

Back then, the Christmas decorations didn't go up until the day after Thanksgiving. From what I understand, the decorations go up before Thanksgiving now.

I also dont' remember the crowds being really bad either. But, then again, we are used to the June crowds so that may be why it didn't seem crowded during Thanksgiving.

We have stayed at the CBR twice and loved it both times. We were booked for Pop Century when we had to cancel. We won't be going the deluxe route because we're going to save that money for our June, 2009 trip.

So, can anybody who has been during the Thanksgiving holiday, give me any information relative to which moderate or value resort is the least crowded during that time period.

Thanks in advance.

they are all pretty much crowded. see where you can get a reservation.

Thanksgiving week has become more popular - because alot of schools now let the kids out for the entire week - instead of the 2 days like before.

most of the Christmas decorations will be up and you can get tickets to MVMCP.

This will be our first trip to WDW during Thanksgiving and we're booked at Pop. We've never stayed there before, but from reading different threads and looking at the multitude of pics, it looks to be so much fun.

We only booked early last week and we called CRO and were able to get a AAA discount for room only at a pretty good rate.

As for the decorations, some people say that much of the Xmas decorations are up by mid-November. So I'm hopeful we may get to see the Osborne Family lights and the Epcot Holidays Around the World which includes the Candlelight Processional.

I haven't been this excited about a vacation in years....the ladies I work with (and my dh) think I'm totally Disney obsessed! :rotfl:

Doubt if it helps, but we're going 11/20-29 and staying at ASMu. If we move up to a mod, it will be CBR. It's not likely to happen, though, we're planning for May and August of next year, too.

We went Thanksgiving week 2006 the same exact days you're planning - Saturday before till Saturday after. The first few days were OK but crowded, and got more crowded as the week progressed. We stayed at CSR and even though the resort was full you didn't feel it except if you were waiting for busses for the parks. We gave up and used our car since we had driven down. We didn't plan that trip until August and I was able to get ADRs for around the time of day that I wanted for most of the TS restaurants that we wanted. I was lucky that I didn't have to worry about Thanksgiving dinner because we went to Orlando family members for the evening. Only bad part of that is that we had to cut our AK day short.

We had 2 days where the boys could swim at the CSR pool and we had 2 days where we wore our coats. I did need to go buy 2 pairs of gloves. We barely wore any of the shorts or capris that we packed. We wore jeans most of the time.

Thanks for the replies so far. Anybody have any Thanksgiving week experiences at the value resorts? Pop Century in particular.

I would recommend CSR! I know your a big CBR fan but the resorts are similar. CSR is smaller, newer and has elevators in all the buildings. The pool is great as is the transportation. If the decorations are up, it will be great!

All the advice I can offer is to start your vacation after Thanksgiving to avoid crowds.

Last year we had the best trip of all our 9 trips!

Arrived Sat after Tgiving, had a split stay at SOG and Pop, holiday decor and actities galore, perfect weather and low crowds and value season prices..

Hope to do it again this year.

I suspect Pop will just be packed Thanksgiving week.

herc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter