Thanksgiving 2014--Nov 22 to Nov 29, 2014 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

Yay! A thread for our cruise :)

We booked this particular cruise because our son will be starting High School next year and it is really going to make these trips difficult. Our HS has a reputation of being VERY unforgiving of days missed :( The only week that made any sense was Thanksgiving week which they have off. We live near Chicago and have ZERO interest in cruising in the summer when we actually have good weather here! We want to cruise when it is cold & dark at home :thumbsup2

My husband, my son & I are all Disney crazy. My insanity goes back the furthest, my first taste of Disney was when I was 7 and we visited WDW in January 1972 (just months after MK first opened). DH's first trip was on our honeymoon to WDW. Our DS first visited WDW at 6 weeks old! We have been on 6 DCL cruises. Our last one was last November (2012) over election week - I believe we were the 1st of these cruises to stop in San Juan.

We have 2 cabins - 1 for us and 1 for my parents

Me - I work full time for my father's business (Import/Export industrial trade). This has nothing to do with my education - my degrees are in Mechanical Engineering & Physics and a Masters in Computer Science. My hobbies include photography, reading, music & messing around with computers.

DH - works as a software project and IT manager. He has the same degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Physics, so his job also has nothing to do with his education! His hobbies include gardening, renovating our 100 year old house, Christmas lights & collecting. His many collections range from depression glass to Disney pins.

DS - currently 13, but he will be 15.5 when we cruise. He is in 8th grade now & will be a HS Sophomore at cruise time. His hobbies include video games (current obsession is Minecraft), playing the fiddle, art (drawing, painting, etc.) Tang Soo Do Karate and Boy Scouts. Keeping up with him exhausts me! :lmao:

My parents: They are in their early 70's and both still work full time for the family company. They travel extensively & often take my son with them (he's an only grandchild). In general, they aren't all that excited about the ports for this cruise but they think it will be one of our last chances to all travel together. To give you an idea, in the last 12 months they have been to New Orleans, the Netherlands, Paris, Cambodia & Vietnam, the Grand Canyon/Vegas and they have a trip planned to Austria next month! My mother says that she wants to visit everywhere she can before she is too old to travel - since they go to the gym twice per week, I think they'll be doing this for a while. ;)

We booked this cruise on opening day. We booked this week for the same reason. This time we will have 2 in middle school. We were on the MV of the Fantasy and my oldest got marked all unexcused.

We are also sailing Thanksgiving week this year. Not too fond of the itinerary for this cruise, but this is the only time we can really. My DH is in sales and there goes all the end of the quarters and we don't sail during the summer because of the outrageous prices, more expensive than Thanksgiving week.

We will have the same cabins as we do this year, 2 connecting cat 8A rooms on deck 5. they are the oversized rooms with 2 porthole seating windows.
There will be 6 of us: myself-stay at home mom. I feel like I work more now than when I was actually working. I have a degree in Accounting
DH-degree in Computer Engineering and works in sales now for EMC
DS-15 years old at time of sailing
DS-12 at time of sailing
DS-10 at time of sailing
Plus my Mom

We will be there!! :dance3:Just booked last week! There are 4 of us in a Cat8a. DH, me, DD4, and DD6. (At the time of cruise girls will be 6 and 8). This will be our 3rd Disney Cruise. We are also traveling with another family and our moms. So very excited!!

Yay! More fellow cruises for our sailling :)

Welcome CNMmommy, Fivepin and JoannaPike :yay:

I'm counting 3 15yo's and 2 14yo's so far. Hopefully, they'll get along and can hang out at the teen club together. I know my son (he'll be 15) is a little concerned - he loved Edge, but it unsure about the teen club. I think he's concerned about the older teens running the show and not wanting the younger ones there. I assume DCL probably knows how to handle this age group and he is probably worrying about nothing!

We are going to WDW in late June, so I'm not really in cruise planning mode yet. Heck, I'm not really even in WDW planning mode - I still haven't made any dining plans or anything :lmao:

Welcome to all the new people on our thread! I added everyone to our overall list on page 1.

We booked this a couple weeks ago, with the idea of "we will save up and if we get to next summer without enough money to pay it, we will push it forward". Now that it's booked, though, we are so excited that there's no way we won't figure out how to make it happen!

I'm LaRae, wife of Randy & mom of Katelyn (10 when we sail) & Joshua (7 when we sail).
My sister, Joanna (everydaymathchick on the DIS), will also be sailing with us, along with a couple from our church.

We have connecting porthole rooms with DH & me in one room & Aunt Joanna & the kids in the other. Really looking forward to this longer cruise. The 3 day we took Thanksgiving week of 2012 was waaaaaayyyy too short!

Fivepin, I think we were on the same cruise, but you were doing your VR, so were more than a little busy. We participated in FE, but there was no meetup that I ever knew about, so hopefully this group will get a little friendlier than our last one. :)

Currently trying to figure out how to keep the excitement alive without getting burned out on anticipating the cruise. Using it as motivation to keep going on Weight Watchers. I've lost 41.5 lbs since August 2012 & hope to lose at least another 60 before we go, so this can be my "100 lbs. gone" celebration! :cool1:

Looking forward to getting to know you all & enjoying another great ride on the "Mickey Boat"!

We booked this a couple weeks ago, with the idea of "we will save up and if we get to next summer without enough money to pay it, we will push it forward". Now that it's booked, though, we are so excited that there's no way we won't figure out how to make it happen!

I'm LaRae, wife of Randy & mom of Katelyn (10 when we sail) & Joshua (7 when we sail).
My sister, Joanna (everydaymathchick on the DIS), will also be sailing with us, along with a couple from our church.

We have connecting porthole rooms with DH & me in one room & Aunt Joanna & the kids in the other. Really looking forward to this longer cruise. The 3 day we took Thanksgiving week of 2012 was waaaaaayyyy too short!

Fivepin, I think we were on the same cruise, but you were doing your VR, so were more than a little busy. We participated in FE, but there was no meetup that I ever knew about, so hopefully this group will get a little friendlier than our last one. :)

Currently trying to figure out how to keep the excitement alive without getting burned out on anticipating the cruise. Using it as motivation to keep going on Weight Watchers. I've lost 41.5 lbs since August 2012 & hope to lose at least another 60 before we go, so this can be my "100 lbs. gone" celebration! :cool1:

Looking forward to getting to know you all & enjoying another great ride on the "Mickey Boat"!

We were on the same cruise. You have a good memory. I felt like I participated in an FE-made 6 embarkation bags full of goodies for the families that came with us. 3 families loved it so much, they booked Thanksgiving Week 2013 with us. That was a really slow thread. I did meet up with someone from the group the morning of Castaway-can't remember who though. 3 nights is definitely way too short, especially with that vow renewal thrown in there.

Is your sister really active on the boards? I swear I've seen that name!

Anyway, welcome to our thread! I'll add you to the list! :)

Is your sister really active on the boards? I swear I've seen that name!

Anyway, welcome to our thread! I'll add you to the list! :)

She used to be really active on the Creative DISigns board. There are still a lot of her DISigns floating around out there. (Feel free to search her username to view her stuff, but she's not actively designing anymore.) I think she's one of the most talented designers around, and she always designs our family shirts, but I may be a bit biased! ;)

We were on the same cruise. You have a good memory. I felt like I participated in an FE-made 6 embarkation bags full of goodies for the families that came with us. 3 families loved it so much, they booked Thanksgiving Week 2013 with us. That was a really slow thread. I did meet up with someone from the group the morning of Castaway-can't remember who though. 3 nights is definitely way too short, especially with that vow renewal thrown in there.

Sounds like you had a great time! I agree that 3 nights is way too short; that's why we decided to do the 7 night this time around & skip the parks.

Is anyone planning to do the Castaway Cay 5K? I just walked my first 5K a few weeks ago and am currently interval walking to try to get faster. Hopefully I will be able to jog at least part of it by next November! :goodvibes

Just making an appearance since my sis, txmommy34, has so sweetly been talking up my designs. Yes, I used to be super active on the Creative DISigns board, and I was fairly active on the singles board for a while. :goodvibes

Cannot wait for this cruise! I started talking about booking a back to back 4 night/3 night, and my sis found this awesome 7 night for cheaper than what I was finding. Since I'm a teacher, it's really your typical vacations for me to be off this long; although, I have taken multiple days off for WDW in that past.

We've explored WDW so much in our past trips, and I've been there so many times since 2009 that when we discovered DCL on our 3 night cruise in November, I really felt like there was so much more Disney magic out there that I was missing! Very excited to spend 7 nights on the ship without going to the parks. Will be different but a new kind of fun!

The couple from church that's coming with us have not been to WDW or done a cruise of any sort before. Very much so looking forward to sharing the Disney magic with them! I'm not sure I'll be participating in the FE's, but we've still got our door magnets from our last cruise which I'm sure will make an appearance again! Who knows, with as many months as we have til this cruise, maybe I'll come up with something neat for the FEs. :)

Looking forward to watching this thread grow!

Hi, everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. Since my sister killed the thread :rotfl: I thought I would see if we can get the ball rolling again.

I know it's a long time off, but I created a Facebook group for us. Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/529905517044759/

This will be another way for us to chat about our plans and organize the fish extender & meet up when the time comes. Just click join group and tell me your DIS name in the message & I will add you! :surfweb:

We had to move our date up so we are now cruising in Oct. Wish you all a fantastic cruise. Take care!

Hello everyone!

I just moved our placeholder cruise over to this one yesterday. I'm so excited!!!! And I'm super excited to see so many people already active on the board.

About us...

Me - Air Force, B.S. in Business Admin and working on M.A.A. in Organizational Leadership. DISNEY obsessed. I would spend every day at the parks/cruising if I could, but I can't because we live so far away! Originally from Texas but transplanted to Maryland. My favorite character is Tinkerbell.

DH - Air Force, not so Disney obsessed, but enjoys himself every time we go. Loves volleyball and sushi :)

DD - 11 (now), will be 12.5 on cruise - she just finished elementary school and is headed to a performing arts middle school for violin. She also plays the piano pretty well and is a competitive gymnast.

DS - 8 (now) will be nearly 10 on cruise - soccer player extraordinaire. Loves video games and Legos.

MIL - 60s - Never cruised but wants to go on a family vacation with us. I'm not sure exactly how this will go since we tend to butt heads, but we'll see. Just praying for peace on board and being thankful that we are all able to enjoy trips like these (it will be Thanksgiving, after all!).

Our first cruise was on the Magic in Jan 2012 with another family. Loved it so much that we went on the Fantasy in Jan 2013 and booked this (sort of) onboard. My kids don't know anything about this trip yet and we won't tell them until after we go inside the 75 day window. Being a dual-military family we are never certain about our plans until the times get really close.

We LOVED doing the FE and hope that we have a good number of participants this time around.

Because we booked kind of late (I guess?) we got two 8C rooms on Deck 7 Aft. There is one room in between us, but maybe that will change as time goes on. I was bummed to not get the 8A room I had last time w/ the two big porthole seats. That room was definitely the best! (6514 in case anyone here gets it!)

Anyway, so excited I can't even focus right now! Will talk to you all soon.

-Sharon

Hello everyone!

I just moved our placeholder cruise over to this one yesterday. I'm so excited!!!! And I'm super excited to see so many people already active on the board.

About us...

Me - Air Force, B.S. in Business Admin and working on M.A.A. in Organizational Leadership. DISNEY obsessed. I would spend every day at the parks/cruising if I could, but I can't because we live so far away! Originally from Texas but transplanted to Maryland. My favorite character is Tinkerbell.

DH - Air Force, not so Disney obsessed, but enjoys himself every time we go. Loves volleyball and sushi :)

DD - 11 (now), will be 12.5 on cruise - she just finished elementary school and is headed to a performing arts middle school for violin. She also plays the piano pretty well and is a competitive gymnast.

DS - 8 (now) will be nearly 10 on cruise - soccer player extraordinaire. Loves video games and Legos.

MIL - 60s - Never cruised but wants to go on a family vacation with us. I'm not sure exactly how this will go since we tend to butt heads, but we'll see. Just praying for peace on board and being thankful that we are all able to enjoy trips like these (it will be Thanksgiving, after all!).

Our first cruise was on the Magic in Jan 2012 with another family. Loved it so much that we went on the Fantasy in Jan 2013 and booked this (sort of) onboard. My kids don't know anything about this trip yet and we won't tell them until after we go inside the 75 day window. Being a dual-military family we are never certain about our plans until the times get really close.

We LOVED doing the FE and hope that we have a good number of participants this time around.

Because we booked kind of late (I guess?) we got two 8C rooms on Deck 7 Aft. There is one room in between us, but maybe that will change as time goes on. I was bummed to not get the 8A room I had last time w/ the two big porthole seats. That room was definitely the best! (6514 in case anyone here gets it!)

-Sharon

Welcome Sharon!!! The big porthole seats sound fun. I really wanted a balcony this time so I can go outside without having to go to another deck. :)

I live in MD too! We are in Frederick County.

Hello everyone!

About us...

-Sharon

How cool! Our middle daughter is the same age as your DD, takes gymnastics and will, this fall, be starting at a performing arts magnet and learning violin! Fun coincidence :)

How cool! Our middle daughter is the same age as your DD, takes gymnastics and will, this fall, be starting at a performing arts magnet and learning violin! Fun coincidence :)

Wow! That is quite a coincidence...hopefully they can meet up on board. Mine wasn't that excited about Edge last cruise, but I think she'll be ready to hang out there this time.

Everydaymathchick - I was born in Fort Worth but grew up all over HEB and finally settled in Arlington before joining the military. What area of DFW are you in? Are you in your mid 30's? We might know each other (or you might know one of my billion cousins!).

Wow! That is quite a coincidence...hopefully they can meet up on board. Mine wasn't that excited about Edge last cruise, but I think she'll be ready to hang out there this time.

Everydaymathchick - I was born in Fort Worth but grew up all over HEB and finally settled in Arlington before joining the military. What area of DFW are you in? Are you in your mid 30's? We might know each other (or you might know one of my billion cousins!).

I'm in Lewisville. Lived here 8 years, grew up in GA though. I'm 30 on the nose. :)

Just booked our cruise for next Thanksgiving and I'm so excited(it will technically be our honeymoon... only 1.5yrs after the wedding)!

We're a younger (30 and 32 yrs old) gay couple from San Francisco. I'm brand new to the Dis Boards, but did go on the Podcast Cruise 3.0 on the Dream in June 2012 with a friend and fell in love with DCL and the many Dissers. My husband is not a big Disney fan, but is very excited for the Cruise.

Counting down... only 458 days left!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter