Thanksgiving 2014--Nov 22 to Nov 29, 2014 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

PoppyGirl

The kiddies come for the autographs but the mummie
Scroll down to Post #7 for a summary of everything that's going on with the cruise!
Cruise Summary

Some other lovely disboarders have taken over since our family is not going to be able to join you after all. We have a brand new grandbaby and are postponing until little Charlotte is able to come along too!

So....who's with us? Thanksgiving 2014 aboard the Disney Fantasy!!

I'm planning for our whole family--DH, me, DS, DD, DSS#1 and (hopefully by then) DIL, and DSS#2 with connecting staterooms, Category 4B.

So far only DH and myself know about the plan. :ssst:

I really wanted to do this cruise because I've done some reading about the port in San Juan and really really really wanted to go there....and I wanted another day at Castaway Cay...that was our favorite day on our 2009 cruise. We picked Thanksgiving week because the kids will not miss so much school.

This is us:
DH: Dairy Farmer, rolls his eyes when I mention Disney but truly enjoys himself because he's a big kid at heart.
Me: Disney nut, full time mom, part time Disney Travel Agent :wizard:, psychologist :listen:, scrapbooking consultant and farm hand.
DS: 13 (will be 14 by the time the cruise rolls around). What can I say...he's a teenager. *sigh*
DD: 10 (will be 12 at cruise time). DRAMA. QUEEN. She's my Disney girl though. She and I go to WDW by ourselves each winter and have a blast.
DSS#1: (30) lives in TX, Veterinarian
DIL (future....hopefully if DSS gets in gear!): Looks JUST like Merida when she doesn't straighten her hair! DD worships her.
DSS#2 (26) lives in CA, production assistant on various TV, commercial and movie projects, waiter at Hard Rock

The boys are awesome--so much fun. A couple years ago we met them at DL and surprised our kids with a family vacation. It was the first time our whole family had ever been on vacation together and we had so much fun. They make everything more fun. And future DIL only adds to the fun.

I'm also trying to convince my friend and her family to come along. We cruised together in 2009 and our families get along great.

So, how about everyone else? Who's in?

Discruisers:

PoppyGirl--DH, DSS (32) & DIL, DSS (29), DS (14), DD (12)
Kknudson118--8 adults, DS 13
pdarrah--DH, DS (15), parents
stewart2525--DW, DD (14) DD (12) DD (12)
kidneygirl--DH, DD (8) DS (6)
CNMmommy--DH, MIL, DD (15), DD (11), Friends with DD (6) DD (8), Grandmother
FivePin--DH, DS (15), DS (12), DS (10)
JoannaPike--DH, DD96), DD (8)
txmommy34--DH, DD (10), DS (7), sister everydaymathchick and another couple from church
Tinkybell14--DH, DD (12.5), DS (10), MIL
ej119--DH (30/32 y.o.)

I have added your thread to the cruise meet list :)

Have a great cruise!

We are registered for the November 22nd cruise; We will have 8 adults and our son who will be 13 at the time of the Cruise. I can't wait!

We are registered for the November 22nd cruise; We will have 8 adults and our son who will be 13 at the time of the Cruise. I can't wait!

:cheer2:Yay! We aren't alone!

And welcome to the Dis! I see this is your first post! :welcome::welcome:

Since I have a first page post we can use, here is some of the Info for our DIS Group:

Thanksgiving 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy - Itinerary C
DCL_EasternCaribbean_Nov22_2014_zpscad36fb3.png

November 22-29, 2014
Code:
Day	Port	       Guest Ashore	Guest Onboard
1	Port Canaveral	—	           3:45 p.m.
2	At Sea
3	At Sea
4	St. Maarten 	8:00 a.m.	  6:45 p.m.
5	San Juan, PR	7:45 a.m.	  4:45 p.m.
6	At Sea
7	Castaway Cay	9:30 a.m.  	  4:45 p.m.
8	Port Canaveral	7:30 a.m.	  —
Facebook:
There is a Facebook group for this cruise. If you would like to join us there, search for "Thanksgiving 2014 DCL" and request membership. We would love to see you there also! :)

The Teens have their own page (not a FB group) for this cruise. Search for "Thanksgiving 2014 Disney Fantasy Teen Page".

First Day DIS Meet:
Join us at the Bon Voyage Lounge on the first day between 3:00-4:00pm. (After everyone boards but before the safety drill/dinner/shows/etc.) This is on Deck 3 by the mid-ship elevators, just off the atrium lobby. It should be a relatively quiet, casual place to get to know each other.

Fish Extenders:
The first 3 Fish Extender groups are now closed. There is a 4th group that is being put together over on Facebook or post on this thread.

Info for Groups A & B: Link to Google Doc

Info for Group 3 (C?): Link to Google Doc

Info for Group 4 (D?): Link to Google Doc

A blog from the DIS on Fish Extenders: Fish Extender Basics

Roll Call:
We do not have a true roll call. Some of us have posted here & others have posted on Facebook, but it hasn't really been compiled. If we get a list together, we'll put it here.

In the meantime, we do have a map that PIGLETSMOMMA setup. For details, see her post on page 17, post 242. You can see the map at https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1154905&add=1

Misc Stuff:

3x5 cards with Fantasy Locations: Posted by Judy at the facebook page Hopefully this link will download the file for you.

Article from the DIS Planning Blog: 6-tips-for-a-smooth-embarkation-day-on-your-disney-cruise

Personal Navigators from a Similar Cruise (Itinerary A - Sept 6): http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2014/09/personal-navigators-disney-fantasy-7-night-eastern-caribbean-halloween-cruise-itinerary-september-6-12-2014/

DIS Info on Navigators (including the App): Stateroom Navigator

Disney Blog articles: 5 Tips for an Easy Debarkation
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---- My original post ---------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yay! A thread for our cruise :)

We booked this particular cruise because our son will be starting High School next year and it is really going to make these trips difficult. Our HS has a reputation of being VERY unforgiving of days missed :( The only week that made any sense was Thanksgiving week which they have off. We live near Chicago and have ZERO interest in cruising in the summer when we actually have good weather here! We want to cruise when it is cold & dark at home :thumbsup2

My husband, my son & I are all Disney crazy. My insanity goes back the furthest, my first taste of Disney was when I was 7 and we visited WDW in January 1972 (just months after MK first opened). DH's first trip was on our honeymoon to WDW. Our DS first visited WDW at 6 weeks old! We have been on 6 DCL cruises. Our last one was last November (2012) over election week - I believe we were the 1st of these cruises to stop in San Juan.

We have 2 cabins - 1 for us and 1 for my parents

Me - I work full time for my father's business (Import/Export industrial trade). This has nothing to do with my education - my degrees are in Mechanical Engineering & Physics and a Masters in Computer Science. My hobbies include photography, reading, music & messing around with computers.

DH - works as a software project and IT manager. He has the same degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Physics, so his job also has nothing to do with his education! His hobbies include gardening, renovating our 100 year old house, Christmas lights & collecting. His many collections range from depression glass to Disney pins.

DS - currently 13, but he will be 15.5 when we cruise. He is in 8th grade now & will be a HS Sophomore at cruise time. His hobbies include video games (current obsession is Minecraft), playing the fiddle, art (drawing, painting, etc.) Tang Soo Do Karate and Boy Scouts. Keeping up with him exhausts me! :lmao:

My parents: They are in their early 70's and both still work full time for the family company. They travel extensively & often take my son with them (he's an only grandchild). In general, they aren't all that excited about the ports for this cruise but they think it will be one of our last chances to all travel together. To give you an idea, in the last 12 months they have been to New Orleans, the Netherlands, Paris, Cambodia & Vietnam, the Grand Canyon/Vegas and they have a trip planned to Austria next month! My mother says that she wants to visit everywhere she can before she is too old to travel - since they go to the gym twice per week, I think they'll be doing this for a while. ;)

We are planning to book this cruise onboard our Magic Thanksgiving cruise this year!! It will be me, DH Brad and DD11 (at cruise time).

Poppygirl, you and your daughter have lots in common with me and Morgan. We took a WDW trip by ourselves this winter and will continue to do the mom/daughter trips. It was such a blast, just the two of us! We took 3 trips to WDW last year...just can't get enough of it!!

San Juan really interests me as well. After this cruise, we'll take an Alaskan cruise on the Wonder to sail all four ships!!

Excited to get to know you all!

Yay! A thread for our cruise :)

We booked this particular cruise because our son will be starting High School next year and it is really going to make these trips difficult. Our HS has a reputation of being VERY unforgiving of days missed :( The only week that made any sense was Thanksgiving week which they have off. We live near Chicago and have ZERO interest in cruising in the summer when we actually have good weather here! We want to cruise when it is cold & dark at home :thumbsup2

My husband, my son & I are all Disney crazy. My insanity goes back the furthest, my first taste of Disney was when I was 7 and we visited WDW in January 1972 (just months after MK first opened). DH's first trip was on our honeymoon to WDW. Our DS first visited WDW at 6 weeks old! We have been on 6 DCL cruises. Our last one was last November (2012) over election week - I believe we were the 1st of these cruises to stop in San Juan.

We have 2 cabins - 1 for us and 1 for my parents

Me - I work full time for my father's business (Import/Export industrial trade). This has nothing to do with my education - my degrees are in Mechanical Engineering & Physics and a Masters in Computer Science. My hobbies include photography, reading, music & messing around with computers.

DH - works as a software project and IT manager. He has the same degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Physics, so his job also has nothing to do with his education! His hobbies include gardening, renovating our 100 year old house, Christmas lights & collecting. His many collections range from depression glass to Disney pins.

DS - currently 13, but he will be 15.5 when we cruise. He is in 8th grade now & will be a HS Sophomore at cruise time. His hobbies include video games (current obsession is Minecraft), playing the fiddle, art (drawing, painting, etc.) Tang Soo Do Karate and Boy Scouts. Keeping up with him exhausts me! :lmao:

My parents: They are in their early 70's and both still work full time for the family company. They travel extensively & often take my son with them (he's an only grandchild). In general, they aren't all that excited about the ports for this cruise but they think it will be one of our last chances to all travel together. To give you an idea, in the last 12 months they have been to New Orleans, the Netherlands, Paris, Cambodia & Vietnam, the Grand Canyon/Vegas and they have a trip planned to Austria next month! My mother says that she wants to visit everywhere she can before she is too old to travel - since they go to the gym twice per week, I think they'll be doing this for a while. ;)

We are planning to book this cruise onboard our Magic Thanksgiving cruise this year!! It will be me, DH Brad and DD11 (at cruise time).

Poppygirl, you and your daughter have lots in common with me and Morgan. We took a WDW trip by ourselves this winter and will continue to do the mom/daughter trips. It was such a blast, just the two of us! We took 3 trips to WDW last year...just can't get enough of it!!

San Juan really interests me as well. After this cruise, we'll take an Alaskan cruise on the Wonder to sail all four ships!!

Excited to get to know you all!

Welcome to both of you!

Pdarrah--6 Disney cruises!!! WOW! We've been on one in 2009 and loved it. Are you getting all this snow? I'm originally from IL--Havana. Went to school in Kankakee. I want to be like your parents! That is so cool.

Disneydork3 (love the name by the way!) when were you and DD at Disney? We were there in Jan/Feb this year. Great idea to book while onboard your cruise! You get some good deals that way. You'll have to let us know how your Thanksgiving cruise is this year. I can't wait to be on the Fantasy!

Disneydork3 (love the name by the way!) when were you and DD at Disney? We were there in Jan/Feb this year. Great idea to book while onboard your cruise! You get some good deals that way. You'll have to let us know how your Thanksgiving cruise is this year. I can't wait to be on the Fantasy![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

We went in the beginning of Dec. Since Disney is my big obsession, we were there three times last year!! We wanted to see the new Fantasyland expansion so we went a couple of days after it opened. We are contemplating another long weekend in May this year since our cruise seems so far away!!

I'll definitely report back on the cruise this year. We are so excited to compare the Dream vs the Magic and even more excited to try out the Fantasy. I

Pdarrah--6 Disney cruises!!! WOW! We've been on one in 2009 and loved it. Are you getting all this snow? I'm originally from IL--Havana. Went to school in Kankakee. I want to be like your parents! That is so cool.

Thankfully, we didn't get the most recent snow :thumbsup2 We had a slight dusting this morning and the news is reporting that Springfield had 17 inches! I guess it missed us and went South :cool1:

Our cruises have been pretty spread out - the first was in 2004. The first 5 were all on the Magic. Most were attempts at a full Western itinerary - LOL! For the first, hurricane Hugo trashed Grand Cayman a month or so before we sailed and we were one of the very first stops at Costa Maya. For the second, it was the year of hurricanes everywhere and the morning we sailed our Western turned into an Eastern - we also dodged hurricanes Alpha & Beta while we were at sea. The third try was the charm & we managed a full, normal Western! Our 4th cruise was our all-time dream trip that will probably never be matched - it was an Eastbound Panama Canal transit (15 days!). Number 5 was another Western & Number 6 was on the Fantasy last November for an Eastern with the 1st stop at San Juan.

Welcome Disneydork3! Glad to meet you :) When you get back from your cruise this year you'll be able to tell us all about what DCL does to celebrate Thanksgiving on board. I think I saw something this year that they decorated everything for Xmas overnight between Thursday and Friday!

...with the travel agent booking our rooms. Very much looking forward to this cruise. I'd go so far as to say time cannot pass quickly enough (until we're aboard, and it'll pass too quickly!) this is cruise #2, the last being a year ago on the Mexican Riviera itinerary aboard the Wonder. For the quick bio:

Me: software development team manager, avid softball player, wanna-be writer.

DW: naturalist/environmental educator at a local nature center, avid softball player, trumpet player.

DD #1: almost 13 yo middle schooler, performing arts & volleyball.

DD #2: 10 yo gymnast and theater.

DD #3: 10 yo (adopted, not twins) dancer, imported to our family from Ukraine.

We winter...and summer, really, in Minnesota, are all drinkers of the Mouse's Koop-aid, and are all lovers of travel as a family. (At least for now. We want this cruise to happen before the eldest goes too far into her teenaged search for independence).

Hi stewart2525 - Welcome to the thread :) It's fun thinking about a warm, Caribbean cruise while waiting for spring here in the frozen North! I hope your weather is better than ours - we are overcast, blustery, snow-flurries and a forecast high of 38. I can't wait for warmer weather.

Are the ages for your kids current or what they will be on the cruise?

Hi stewart2525 - Welcome to the thread :) It's fun thinking about a warm, Caribbean cruise while waiting for spring here in the frozen North! I hope your weather is better than ours - we are overcast, blustery, snow-flurries and a forecast high of 38. I can't wait for warmer weather.

Are the ages for your kids current or what they will be on the cruise?

Thanks for the welcome! And today is overcast, in the 30s...very nice to think of the warm cruise weather.

The ages for the girls are their current ages. On the cruise they'll be 14/12/12.

We just booked our cruise last week!! We are big Disney fans (DS was 4 weeks old for his first trip to WDW!), but this is our first cruise. I can't wait!! My DH wants to keep it a secret from our kids, but my DS was with me when I booked it with our TA. So, it's not really a secret anymore. I sew custom clothes for my kids for WDW, so I'm already planning outfits for our cruise. :) We chose to go Thanksgiving week because my kids get the whole week off of school, so they will only miss one day (for driving to FL). I will be celebrating my 7 year kidney transplant anniversary while on the cruise!!.

Me: I am a SAHM, but I have a degree in Elem Ed. I love sewing and embroidery, and am an avid reader.

DH: He is a self-employed Mechanical Engineer, tennis player, and loves electronic gadgets.

DD: She turns 7 tomorrow (March 30), so she'll be 8 on the cruise and in 3rd grade. She is a major social butterfly, talks non-stop, is an artist, and a swimmer.

DS: Right now, he is 4 and in preschool. He will be almost 6 for cruise and in kindergarten. He is very shy, loves anything space related, and is a t-ball pro.

Stewart2525: my kids are both adopted and my DS is half Ukrainian...his birthdad grew up in Kiev.

Kidneygirl - wow, 7 years; good for you! Kiev is a beautiful city. Our DD is from the Donetsk region, from a city called Makiivka.

Thankfully, we didn't get the most recent snow :thumbsup2 We had a slight dusting this morning and the news is reporting that Springfield had 17 inches! I guess it missed us and went South :cool1:

Our cruises have been pretty spread out - the first was in 2004. The first 5 were all on the Magic. Most were attempts at a full Western itinerary - LOL! For the first, hurricane Hugo trashed Grand Cayman a month or so before we sailed and we were one of the very first stops at Costa Maya. For the second, it was the year of hurricanes everywhere and the morning we sailed our Western turned into an Eastern - we also dodged hurricanes Alpha & Beta while we were at sea. The third try was the charm & we managed a full, normal Western! Our 4th cruise was our all-time dream trip that will probably never be matched - it was an Eastbound Panama Canal transit (15 days!). Number 5 was another Western & Number 6 was on the Fantasy last November for an Eastern with the 1st stop at San Juan.

Welcome Disneydork3! Glad to meet you :) When you get back from your cruise this year you'll be able to tell us all about what DCL does to celebrate Thanksgiving on board. I think I saw something this year that they decorated everything for Xmas overnight between Thursday and Friday!

Good grief! At least you were persistent!

And I did not know that about the decorations! That will be really cool!

stewart2525 and kidneygirl--welcome to our thread! How interesting that you both have children adopted from Ukraine!

Just booked this cruise!!! There are 10 of us this time!! My MIL, DH, DD (will be 15), DD (will be 11) and our friends who have 2 girls 6 & 8 as well as their grandmother. We can't wait to be on this ship again!!!:yay::yay::yay:

Does anyone know if the ship will be decorated for Christmas on this cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!