Test Track not worth the wait

Starwarsfan2

Mouseketeer
Rode Test Track last week. Without the pre-show letting you design your own car, the ride is kind of baffling. For first timers, I am sure they come off the ride with a "what the heck was that" attitude. Sure the high speed trip at the end is fun, but everything leading up to it is just erratic. Wouldn't waste an hour waiting for this ride right now.

I think it's easy to say that but if for guests who are one and done, they have no choice but to wait if they want to ride. I like TT and TBH I never cared about designing the car but it's all so subjective for what people are willing to wait 60+ min for. Regardless of designing the car, it's still a fun ride.

I think the car design is an important part of the ride. I really hate when you do design the car and for some reason you end up with the "blank" car. I know my DH is a big car guy and he really tries to design a great car and see the results at the end of the ride. I think we'd skip it without the design portion

Honestly, I haven't thought Test Track was worth a long wait since they reimagined it. I miss the old queue and the story just made more sense to me before. The end is fun, but the rest is just kind of random now - to me at least. Also, after riding Radiator Springs Racers at DL and seeing what that ride system could be kind of ruined Test Track for me. Back when FP+ was available we rode it when we could get one, but I wouldn't stand in more than a 20 minute line for it. JMO - I know lots of people love it, though.

We enjoy the ride and thought designing those cars was just a way to waste time in yet another queue before you finally boarded your car. The older version didn't have that and we thought the flow of the ride was much better. Think they would have been better off doing away with the car design area and using the extra space to add more ride capacity. When the most popular rides tend to have lines over 1 hr, it seems like more priority should be placed on how to add capacity to handle the larger crowds.

Radiator Springs Racer at DL is SO much better!

This ride is a favorite of mine (and the rest of the family) - but we skip the car design most of the time. I do agree that the ride is missing a component of its entertainment without the car designs. I'd love to see this attraction get a complete new overlay. Sadly, they can't mimic RSR due to the ride's location in Epcot - but surely they could come up with something. But I'm sure there is some money exchanges hands to the car brand sponsorship right now they might like.

I suggest to newbies to do the car design..... but for experienced folks with kids old enough - the single rider line is usually pretty fast!

TT was my kids' top "must do" so we would not have skipped it and they still enjoyed it, but we were all disappointed in no designing car and I agree this REALLY takes away from the experience. I don't really understand why that element of the experience cannot reopen.

Without the designing of the car, what is making the line slower than usual? Less people in each car?
I dont think designing the car makes the line any longer. All it does is give you something to do while waiting in line. If it wasn't there the line would still take the same amount of time.

I dont think the line for TT is any longer then usual. Its always around an hour+ wait. If anything it might be a tad quicker now with no fastpass and park capacity limits (if that's even still a thing).

Honestly, I haven't thought Test Track was worth a long wait since they reimagined it. I miss the old queue and the story just made more sense to me before.
We still enjoy Tron Track (er... I mean Test Track), but definitely preferred the original "analog" testing of the cars to being inside a computer simulation test.

Loved the acid/corrosive test and the impending crash test dummy wall for the launch was the BEST!

Last edited:
Radiator Springs Racer at DL is SO much better!

This ride is a favorite of mine (and the rest of the family) - but we skip the car design most of the time. I do agree that the ride is missing a component of its entertainment without the car designs.

When the car design was active pre-pandemic, it was a toss-up re: which one we liked more, RSR or TT; similar tides, but they each had their pluses and were different enough to live both.

However, when we visited WDW last week, we realized that the car design was a big part of TT fir us…otherwise, it was kind of just a jerky ride in a car followed by a high speed run at the end.

Right now, Radiator Springs Racers wins hands down.

I know the pre-show and "car designing" adds (very weak) context to the ride, but no matter how you design the car, the ride is the exact same. Since they aren't going to bring back the pre-2012 version of the ride, I have no problem if they just let me skip the fake pretense, get in the car, go "wweeeee!!!!" and go about my day. I wouldn't wait 60+ minutes either, but not a lot else to ride at EP right now?

Feeling old today, this made me think about World of Motion.

Last edited:
I assume they stopped the car design preshow during covid. This avoids having several people all touching the same control panel and/or needing to disinfect them between users.

Got to agree that TT is a disappointment. Even the most recent version. I really wish they had kept the original Fun to be Free version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter