Teppan Edo...Honestly

TresGriffin

Mouseketeer
So, I have an ADR for Teppan Edo for my trip in a few weeks.

But I'm starting to wonder if it's any better than any of the many hibachi options I have back at home. To those who've dined there before, is there anything that sets Teppan Edo apart other than the mere fact that it's inside Epcot?

We dined at Teppan Edo once, and it was one and done for us. It was fine, with a few Disney touches, but we have had better hibachi experiences at home. I would say it would be worth trying, especially if you like hibachi and there isn't another restaurant that you are considering instead.

We went in 2016. It was good but definitely not as good as our hibachi back home! We had great service and would consider doing again!

We love it! Very delicious. If you've got kids with you, they do some cute stuff as part of the "show"

The chef made some of the food into a Mickey Mouse head shape while cooking, although it loses that shape before it gets served. Compared with other teppanyaki restaurants I've been to, I thought the food was a little better at Teppan Edo. YMMV, but I'm going again!

The food is good, but not incredible. The difference I noticed is the more formal and polite, traditional feel of the cast members working there.

They turn around and bow when leaving the room, for example....which is accurate for a lot of things in japan...so as far as that goes, it feels more special and authentic.

We dined there as a party of 8, 4 adults & 4 children a few years ago.
This was our first time we had eaten at this type of restaurant.
Was not sure what to expect, but the overwhelming opinion at the end was a great experience with great food.
The 2 youngest in our party loved our chef & found him quite amusing.
We have not been back, purely due to the variety of Restaurants at WDW & wanting to try different options.
Maybe 1 day we will get to go back & see what it is like now?

Agree with others here. I've been a few times - took people who either requested it as a birthday or some other celebration dinner, or who I thought might enjoy it. Chef did make a Mickey out of some f the veggies, but nothing other than that that was different, or "Epcot" or "Disney". Good entertainment and food, but nothing any better/worse/different than any other teppanyaki place I've been to outside of the World.

Mod, can we move this to the Restaurants forum? I didn't mean to put this in the Podcast section. I come to this forum so often that I posted here by habit.

I went to Teppan Edo with my family less than 2 weeks ago to celebrate a birthday. I think it's comparable to a second tier / local / small chain teppanyaki restaurant.

I'm probably biased, but I think the Benihana chain sets the standard with all grill items on the menu being really great, interesting cocktails with cool novelty glasses, varied sushi options and tasty side dishes.

Rocky Aoki Forever!!!!

Okay, back to Teppan Edo. Random thoughts:
  • It was the first time in years that I'd been to Japanese restaurant where the staff were mostly Japanese. I used to go to a Benihana in Georgetown (long closed) that had an ancient Okinawan waitress. She was awesome. Look I'm side-tracked again. I think that place closed nearly 10 years ago.
  • The decor is possibly more authentic than your standard strip mall hibachi restaurant
  • The steak, shrimp, salad and yakiudon were all yummy, but maybe not as good a quality meat as what I've had at the Beaverton, OR and San Francisco, CA Benihana
  • The adult entrees didn't come with soup, that's a little disappointing
  • Our chef seemed to be new/inexperienced, so the show wasn't a lot of fun or super interesting (I want fire, Fire, FIRE!!!!!), but it wouldn't surprise me if WDW's ridiculous fixation on molly coddle overzealous guest safety didn't ruin the whole knives and flames funtimes
  • I cry inside when I can't find a Blue Hawaiian or Blue Roof on the drink menu

Probably not too much different than places you have at home. Its still enjoyable. The chef will make an Olaf out of veggies or whatever. The food is good too. Just nothing out of this world better than many other hibachi places.

Maybe that's why I didn't like my experience...the chef was more boring than watching paint dry and no disney shaped anything...

I've been to teppanyaki places in my home town, and Teppan Edo ALWAYS blows them right outta the water. Hands down, the food is way better at Teppan Edo.

However, its still teppanyaki nonetheless. If youre already having second thoughts about it, then i'd probably book something else. Something more unique like Biergarten perhaps? I know i dont have anything like that in my hometown. So fun.

I agree with the points about the authentic service, decor, cleanliness - IMO they all rank above avg local hibachi. If you've never done it, I think it's worthwhile.

However, its still teppanyaki nonetheless. If youre already having second thoughts about it, then i'd probably book something else. Something more unique like Biergarten perhaps? I know i dont have anything like that in my hometown. So fun.

Ironically there is a place here in Atlanta called Der Biergarten. 😂😂😂

The salmon was out of this world and the japanese cocktails were very interesting. We all really enjoyed out meal and it was a phenomenal use of dining plan credits. I would say it is definitely one of our favorite epcot meals overall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter