Tell me where I went wrong?

smfritz03

Just when I thought Vacation Planning was figuring
Ok, heres 2 scenrios for Disney since I learned our hotel ressies were rerouted. (2 budgets--am I way off on my thinking)

Airfare: $410 (5 roundtrip tix through Ding fare)
Hotel: $408 if staying offsite (unless I go through Priceline)
Disney Tickets: $557 through a friend-2 adult and 2 child 2 day Hpr
Rental Car: $125 car alone--not adding tolls, gas,parking
Spending money: $800 to take for food and adult suvies, and giving the 3 kids $30-$50 in Disney dollars before we go

Now if we stay onsite---we would get 2 value resort rooms for a Hotel total of$671--but the rental car for one day would be $45 instead of a rental for 4 days. (dh is bound and determined to see the ocean since he never has)--And then I wont have parking fees,gas to and from and toll charges.

So my grand totals are:
Offsite: $2300
Onsite: $2483

**Is my food budget realistic for 4 days w/3 kids (ages 7,6 and 6) and 2 adults--one being a light eater?

Is the extra $$ worth staying onsite? Is there really more convience going from and onsite hotel to the park vs an offsite hotel to the park?

Is it worth going from a more luxury hotel to a Disney Value resort? What does the value resorts do for a person to make them feel special?

And can anyone explain the Magical Express to me?.

We are flying in on Monday at 11am--so I know we will have lunch and dinner
then on Tuesday and Wednesday we will have b/fast in room, than lunch and dinner and we will have b/fast and lunch to cover on Thurs.--I was allowing $100 on Monday and Thursday and $250 in the parks for 2 days. I havent made an PS yet..... :confused3 ..not sure where to stay and our kids would rather have the "treat" of hamburgers,pizza,or chicken strips everyday vs real food (they dont get to eat these much). we are also taking a few snacks in the park, but are planning on getting some Disney treats that I keep reading about.

I could use any suggestions, tips, hints to help me out!! Im at a loss and would like to save $$ when I can-but at the same time--have fun and have $$ for any extras we might encounter, if that makes sense!!!

Thanks all!!! :hug:

smfritz03 said:
Is the extra $$ worth staying onsite? Is there really more convience going from and onsite hotel to the park vs an offsite hotel to the park?
MOST definitely! Staying on-site, you get the advantage of using Disney transportation if you like so you don't need the rental car. Also, you get perks such as extra magic hours (you can get a LOT done without crowds) plus we always feel like it's more of a vacation when we don't have to drive off Disney property and deal with traffic every day. Also makes it easier to go back to the room in the middle of the day when the kids get tired, take a dip in the pool or a nap, and come back in the evenings refreshed. Remember parking is now $8/day at the parks if you stay off-site.

When is your trip? Can you take advantage of the free dining promo? That would certainly effect your bottom line! We are stayng on site for the first time because of the promotion, provong Disney knows what it is doing offering these things. :rotfl2: Have a great trip no matter what you choose.

headoflife said:
When is your trip? Can you take advantage of the free dining promo? That would certainly effect your bottom line! We are stayng on site for the first time because of the promotion, provong Disney knows what it is doing offering these things. :rotfl2: Have a great trip no matter what you choose.

We are going August 8th-11th---so we are out of luck for that. Its not like I have a certain budget to stay under--but we are also building on to our home--so the more money I save on disney--the more I can put into my house (like the hottub I want ;) )

Our kids are not big eaters--we took them to an amusement park last summer--and they wanted homemade sandwiches vs what the park had to offer. I can see them wanting ice cream and things--which isnt a problem--neither is buying drinks---but we are taking water into the park and some snacks (fruit cups,etc) which will help a little w/ costs.

As for suvvies--I love scrapbooking--so thats my suvvie--tons of pics and little things I can add to my book!! I would love to keep my budget under $2500 (for 4 days--it seems alot of $$ to me for a 4 day vac. but I know it isnt lol)--and the 4th day--we have to be at the airport at 12pm--so there really wont be much cost on that day. I will reward the kids w/ Disney dollars (they have no clue we are going though) and that will be between $30-$50--maybe a bit more--and that isnt counted into our budget. Neither is all the little things we are buying for our trip.

One other question--which value resort to stay at? I was thinking Movies---and Im not sure what room to ask for??? Any ideas??

Is it worth going from a more luxury hotel to a Disney Value resort? What does the value resorts do for a person to make them feel special?

Any themeing is outside at the All Star Value rooms!! Inside the only themeing is a garing star shaped wall light. The rooms are small. And there isn't a mickey anywhere in them. I was so disappointed!!

Over at www.MouseSavers.com where all Discounts are found.
http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyresorts.html#apfall

WDW Annual Passholders can get room-only discount for august thru Oct. of

Value Resorts (All Stars and Pop Century) - $59 standard
Moderate Resorts - $89 standard, $104 preferred view/King
Animal Kingdom Lodge - $129 standard, $210 savannah view

There is a calulator on the page that helps you decide the value of getting the WDW Annual or not.

Next time I go, I'll stay where there IS in room themeing!! To me it matters alot.

We stay at the offsite Holiday Inn Family Suites and had a Disney themed room we felt like we Were in Disney Magic there. Now it's Nickelodeon Family Suites by Holiday Inn.

Would you consider doing one room on site? You can stay at POR, which will cost less than two value rooms. Plus, you'll have a hot tub and the kids will have a slide at the pool.

Also, you listed just two kids' tickets -- I'm assuming that is a typo and it should have been three.

I'd stay on-site if at all possible b/c being there 24/7 really makes you mentally escape the real world. If you go back to the real world every night, you lose some of that.

tar heel said:
Would you consider doing one room on site? You can stay at POR, which will cost less than two value rooms. Plus, you'll have a hot tub and the kids will have a slide at the pool.

Also, you listed just two kids' tickets -- I'm assuming that is a typo and it should have been three.

I'd stay on-site if at all possible b/c being there 24/7 really makes you mentally escape the real world. If you go back to the real world every night, you lose some of that.

Yes, I had a typo--it was 3 kids tix and 2 adults for $557----

Question--POR--that is just a standard room right? DH and I would like a little space after the kids go to sleep where we can talk and watch tv. Thats why we considered the 2 rooms at the value resorts. Im not sure how big the rooms at POR are--and Im not sure how much a suite on site else where would run. Im new to all of this and Ive read and asked a few questions, but nothing really pertaining to onsite as we hadnt considered it until now!!!

POR rooms are bigger than value, but not big. Bedding is two doubles and a trundle. There would not be a place for you and DH to relax separate from sleeping kids. The resort is nicer, though, especially the landscaping and pool.

The prices of suites on site are $$$$$. You can get two moderate-level hotel rooms for less. Because you have five people, renting DVC (timeshare) points isn't a viable budget option either b/c the required two-bedroom unit is expensive.

I'm not wild about the transportation, but a FW cabin is another option for you. It would give you separate spaces and also a kitchen. Price would be comparable to the two value rooms.

Have you thought about renting points from a DVC member and staying in a DVC resort? They have much more room than normal hotel rooms including a kitchen and w/d and you're still on Disney property surrounded by magic. Renting points is usually a great savings over booking a DVC room directly through Disney.

tar heel said:
Because you have five people, renting DVC (timeshare) points isn't a viable budget option either b/c the required two-bedroom unit is expensive.
Actually, you could rent a 1BR if one of the kids is willing to sleep in a sleeping bag. You could stay in a 1BR at OKW (biggest rooms of the DVC resorts) for around $660 for 3 nights. Might be worth a little extra for the kitchen alone.

tar heel said:
POR rooms are bigger than value, but not big. Bedding is two doubles and a trundle. There would not be a place for you and DH to relax separate from sleeping kids. The resort is nicer, though, especially the landscaping and pool.

The prices of suites on site are $$$$$. You can get two moderate-level hotel rooms for less. Because you have five people, renting DVC (timeshare) points isn't a viable budget option either b/c the required two-bedroom unit is expensive.

I'm not wild about the transportation, but a FW cabin is another option for you. It would give you separate spaces and also a kitchen. Price would be comparable to the two value rooms.

What is the difference in transportation for the FW cabin? What are the prices on these? That would be a great idea as it would allow us to spread out! I know the kids get crabby when on top of each other day to day--and when they are excited and full throttle they tend to talk really LOUD---so that would be a great way to go!!! How do I find out info on these rooms?

smfritz03 said:
What is the difference in transportation for the FW cabin?
The difference is you would have to use two different bus routes - the internal FW bus to get to the bus stop for the park buses. Sometimes you end up waiting at each stop so it could take awhile to get anywhere.

We like staying on site b/c of the convenience. We've stayed at several resorts and the more convenient the location, the better as far as we are concerned. At FW, you catch an internal bus, then a second bus or boat to get to a park. Because we were spoiled by previous resorts, that seemed like a lot of trouble to us. We also have much older children and I like to just let them go to the main pool, resort store, etc., and that's a long way off at FW. And, last but not least, it's hard to get to an extra bathroom at FW b/c it involves catching a bus. At, say the YC, someone can go to the lobby facilities if the bathroom is occupied and he's desperate!

It sounds like you'll have a couple days that you aren't doing parks -- right? In that case, FW might be a really fun place to stay since there are activities there. The cabins themselves are also really cute -- even better than I expected them to be. You should be able to get lots of information about the cabins from the camping board on this site.

poohj80 -- I thought putting 5 people in a one bedroom DVC unit was like bringing back a refillable mug -- a crime that would get the DIS boards police on you like white on rice!

tar heel said:
I thought putting 5 people in a one bedroom DVC unit was like bringing back a refillable mug
I don't know the room limitations as I've never traveled with more than 2, so I apologize if I made an inappropriate suggestion.

I did a search---Im sure dh would fall in love w/ the place---but Im not sure if the kids would enjoy it as much as being in the Movies (i could be wrong--ive never been to either to make that decision).

I never guessed planning a vacation took this much work!!! Just when I had it all planned out--things do a complete flip!!

No wonder dh says next time, he is planning the vacation and it wont be Disney..... :(

smfritz03 said:
II never guessed planning a vacation took this much work!!! Just when I had it all planned out--things do a complete flip!
You can't go wrong with any of the Disney resorts. Once you've been there, seen them for yourself and learn what your kids do like, it will help make your decisions easier for your next WDW trip.

Tell DH all this planning is to insure you all get the most out of your trip. You could just book a room and make the best of it but you might miss half of all the cool stuff simply because you didn't know what's available.

Men never understand the concept of things!! He knows I am having fun planning---but he has made it clear that Disney isnt occuring every year because he wants to take the kids to Colorado and other places. (hmmm--hopefully he changes his mind about that once hes in Disney) Ive always been a Disney nut and will prob. be more excited than the kids!

So what are the good rooms to request at the Mu? I looked at pics and a map and Im torn between 101 Dals, Toy Story or Fantasia....which are the most requested and which would be the quietest? No preference on location to the pools.

Is there a bus directly to MK from this resort?

And one other silly question.....does the tram go around the entire disney park? Im so baffled--its not like Kings Island--where you show up, park and enter one park.......so I am completely lost and I want to have some ideas what to expect!!

smfritz03 said:
And one other silly question.....does the tram go around the entire disney park? Im so baffled--its not like Kings Island--where you show up, park and enter one park.......so I am completely lost and I want to have some ideas what to expect!!
No question is silly!

If you use the Disney transportation, you will be dropped off at the park entrances so no tram is necessary. There are different buses for the different parks/destinations. If you drive to the parks, there are trams from the parking lots that take you to the park entrances.

Ive pretty much got it figured out to stay onsite---to me it sounds worth the extra $118 to do that---and Im not sure Im brave enough to try Priceline--I want to stay in a decent place vs a hole in the wall. And the convience of going back to the resort is priceless Im sure in the hot Aug. heat.

Is it easy to get a rental car from Disney? I tried to talk dh out of the beach-but he is determined to go--and I dont want the inconvience of renting from the airport to have to return it there a day later. Seems silly to me to rent a car for $45 for a 3 hour beach trip--unless there are some shopping malls we can hit for Disney things!

One more thing--I havent figured out PS yet---what are some good, kid friendly places? And is it too late to get a character meal?

smfritz03 said:
Is it easy to get a rental car from Disney? I tried to talk dh out of the beach-but he is determined to go--and I dont want the inconvience of renting from the airport to have to return it there a day later. Seems silly to me to rent a car for $45 for a 3 hour beach trip--unless there are some shopping malls we can hit for Disney things!
Two thoughts on this idea:

1) There is a car company (think it's National but worth double checking) that you can rent from at the airport and return on Disney property. Might be worth the convenience even if they are a little more expensive but you've got lots of time to look for discount codes.
2) Rent from the airport and spend a day going to see the beach (Cocoa Beach is a nice area and you can visit KSC if you're into that sort of thing). There are outlet malls off I-4 and I-Drive that have Disney outlet stores if you want to check them out before checking in.

smfritz03 said:
One more thing--I havent figured out PS yet---what are some good, kid friendly places? And is it too late to get a character meal?
It's not too late but the sooner the better. As for character meals, I suggest any with your kid's favorite characters. Our favorite is the Pooh meals at the Crystal Palace at MK. Liberty Tree Tavern is nice too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter