Tell me the "weather" where you live.

20160123_114218.jpeg
Northeast PA, Blizzard warning out until 3am. Blowing and drifting, wait and see what we end up with. For reference, the treeline is 300 feet out. Have not seen a state plow all day. Local plow doing the side road has been thru 3 times since 8am.

We got about 3 to 4 inches of snow. It's light though and the wind... She is a blowin' !!!! So we got drifting going on. I was going to clear it with the snow blower but the DW said to wait until later when it's calmed down. The Next door neighbor just got a new snow blower and did the front sidewalk for us (Yay!) but I still had to go out later and do it again. I, of course, returned the favor.

Ouch.

Several years ago in our area we had a tornado go through a small "Lake" Community. (Google "Lake Carey Tornado" and you will see lots of info). While we are not immune to tornadoes in our area, most of the time they are very small and don't last very long because of the overall terrain in the Northeastern PA area (Mountains, valleys, etc...), but this one persisted doing significant damage.

While the area was never quite the same again, it did recover. My greatest hope with anyone that has to endure such tragic weather is survival. The house, church, cars, etc... can all be replaced. The life, not so much.

Ouch.

Several years ago in our area we had a tornado go through a small "Lake" Community. (Google "Lake Carey Tornado" and you will see lots of info). While we are not immune to tornadoes in our area, most of the time they are very small and don't last very long because of the overall terrain in the Northeastern PA area (Mountains, valleys, etc...), but this one persisted doing significant damage.

While the area was never quite the same again, it did recover. My greatest hope with anyone that has to endure such tragic weather is survival. The house, church, cars, etc... can all be replaced. The life, not so much.

There was also one that went thru Promised Land State Park years ago. Still can see some of the damage it did.

That cold front came through here yesterday afternoon. Just heavy rains and some wind. No big deal. Temps have gone from the 70s yesterday to the low 50s right now. Just a dreary wet day for today.

Well today finds the temperature down some, and the snow falling. It is a light snow and only and inch was expected for overnight. They are calling for snow to fall until Wednesday morning and total out at 4 inches at most. The worst part will come this weekend, with high's in the teens and overnight temps below zero. But overall a milder winter than last year.

No tornadoes, highs for today are in the 40's, sun is shining but the wind is blowing. BUT, AT LEAST THERE IS NO SNOW!

Sorry Pa, if I could pump you some of this southern weather I'd do it man. You guys stay warm.

The snow I am okay with, it's the cold wind that I hate. I will say, however, that I am liking the Utility bills so far this winter, but I don't think my peach tree will be giving me much fruit in the spring. (It needs a cold winter for good fruit from what I read).

Usually, at this time of year, I have gone through about 3 - 4 ton of coal in my stoker stove. I am not even at 2 ton yet. I like that though.

Today was a high of 13, and as I type this it is -2. The high tomorrow with the windchill is a balmy 5. Oh well, next week up to 30. We can just feel spring in the air! It is almost March, so yes, it will happen. Keeping wells from freezing on the dairy farm keeps us moving, and as always, lots of TLC for the cattle housed outside.

Today was a high of 13, and as I type this it is -2. The high tomorrow with the windchill is a balmy 5. Oh well, next week up to 30. We can just feel spring in the air! It is almost March, so yes, it will happen. Keeping wells from freezing on the dairy farm keeps us moving, and as always, lots of TLC for the cattle housed outside.

Cows outside in this cold. Is that where Ice Cream comes from ??:confused3 I know chocolate milk comes from brown cows. :woohoo:

Cows outside in this cold. Is that where Ice Cream comes from ??:confused3 I know chocolate milk comes from brown cows. :woohoo:[/QUOTE

PaHunter, I know this is a hard concept to understand, but a healthy cow at about six months or older does grow thick skin and a good coat of hair to survive the harsh winters. Nope, not good ice cream though!!! You are right about that chocolate milk! We make sure there is lots of good quality dry hay, silage, running water, and in the case of heavy snow, a place to go inside, such as a shed. Our newborn calves are raised in outside individual calf hutches, and wear calf jackets. It is hardest for the calf feeders who have to feed/clean in this order, warm water, rinse and clean, warm milk, rinse and clean, more warm water, pail of calf starter, and fresh clean bedding (straw).

Nope not hard to understand at all. Grew up in Indiana and most of my friends had farms, used to spend the summers at all kind of horse shows, fairs. I have even shown sheep in competition at one time in my life.
But really you could have kept the cold, there was no need to send it our way.
Keep up the good work.

I am truly sorry that unusually cold weather has come your way. When we were at the Fort in January, we had very warm, and then it turned colder. We were not happy. I am sure when you live in a warm weather state, having temps out of the norm are difficult. That is why we come to visit Florida and Fort Wilderness. We love the warmth, friends, and camping, and of course, Disney.

In all fairness, the whether is unusually cold for THIS year. Normally it's much colder here.... That said, I'd still be happy if it weren't here. I love not having $500 - $600 heating bills monthly. :)

I am truly sorry that unusually cold weather has come your way. When we were at the Fort in January, we had very warm, and then it turned colder. We were not happy. I am sure when you live in a warm weather state, having temps out of the norm are difficult. That is why we come to visit Florida and Fort Wilderness. We love the warmth, friends, and camping, and of course, Disney.

As Peg110 said this cold for us is normal. He lives about 20 miles west of me. Last year we had cold around zero for Jan and Feb, this year we have been blessed and have been above normal. I remember snowmobiling in Indiana as a kid, windchill of 40 below zero and out riding around. Well now that I am a few years older, not so fond of the cold. But here in Northeastern PA we do get the bitter cold every so often. Can't wait until next week when we head for Disney and some warmer weather.

PaHunter, have a wonderful trip to Disney. Safe travels, and hopefully warmer weather, as it will always be warmer than where you live. Ah, snowmobiling is fun. We used to do lots of that, but have graduated to the UTV here in southern Wisconsin. Lots of rails to trails conversions, so it keeps us older kids somewhat young!! Great travels. We are heading back to Disney late December with another daughter, husband, kidlets, in their camper, us in ours, whatever that turns out to be!! Enjoy and I look forward to hearing about your fun time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter