Tell me about your car! Thinking of going from a lease to owning, and from SUV to small car.

This isn't what the thread is really about but there are some cases where leasing is better financially, like when you will be using the vechcile for buissness and like you said when you don't plan on keeping the car long term anyway. Also leasing EVs is usually a much better deal than purchasing. (Usually, I was considering the bolt and those lease terms arent very attractive)

We all know what's the BEST financial decision though...buy a cheap beater or just ride your bike everywhere.

EV's are a WHOLE other can of worms, especially in California. They practically pay YOU to lease or buy an EV. My DS and DIL have a Fiat 500E. New, before tax incentives and other credits, a $32,000 car. Theirs is a 2016 lease return, 25,000 miles $8,000 still under factory warranty They get absolutely no tax credits or other credits because they bought it used. But both work in the public sector, and get free charging at work. They figure if they can get 5 years out of it, they can walk away and be money ahead.

I can't speak to Canada for sure. The IRS in the U.S. has really cracked down on lease allowances over the years. They were popular, then the scales kind of tipped to mileage reimbursement, and now companies just have a fleet of cars that stay at work and can't be taken home. I guess the paperwork required (and taxes that need to be tracked by the employer and paid by the employee) are a huge hassle.
A co-worker got in trouble about 3 weeks ago for using her personal car and trying to get reimbursed because while there were 11 company cars sitting in the parking lot, there were no keys. I now have 5 sets of spare car keys in my desk so THAT doesn't happen agian.
Perfectly legal here because the lease allowance (and my gas card) are taxable benefits, whereas if you take mileage reimbursement it's non-taxable. Where some people at my work are gaming the system is they're taking a lease allowance and using it to make payments on a car they're purchasing. There's been a blind-eye turned to it for a long, long time but I'm always concerned those people getting busted will have corporate re-thinking the entire policy and wind us all up on mileage reimbursement. :sad2:

EV's are a WHOLE other can of worms, especially in California. They practically pay YOU to lease or buy an EV. My DS and DIL have a Fiat 500E. New, before tax incentives and other credits, a $32,000 car. Theirs is a 2016 lease return, 25,000 miles $8,000 still under factory warranty They get absolutely no tax credits or other credits because they bought it used. But both work in the public sector, and get free charging at work. They figure if they can get 5 years out of it, they can walk away and be money ahead.

DH leased a VW e-Golf for just over 3 years. His company has free charging and he definitely came out ahead.

He just bought the new Tesla Model 3 and is thrilled with it. He likes it so much he is trying to convince me to give up my Audi and buy a 3. I'm really tempted...but the Audi is a convertible and I don't know if I can give it up. I wanted a convertible my whole life and I have only had it for a couple of years. I'm so torn! (Yes, this is the epitome of a first world problem, but I really am struggling to make a decision.)

Make a list of the things you must have in your vehicle and then search for cars that match the list. There’s no short cut for research. When you have narrowed it down to two or three choices, see if you can find an owner forum online. You will learn all the good, bad, and ugly from people who really know the car. There could be a model year that you should avoid, or a trim level that costs more or less to repair.

I bought a Prius v last year. My list was must get a minimum of 40mpg in real life (I have a 50 mile round trip commute), must have excellent safety ratings, and it had to match the cargo space of the Focus Wagon it was replacing. I really prefer a wagon platform to an SUV, and I am very well pleased with my choice.

But if I had a short commute the hybrid wouldn’t make as much sense because it doesn’t really hit the great mileage until I get maybe four or five miles into the commute. My sister has a commute of about three miles or so, so mpg was not on her short list. She wanted more high end finishes, and ended up with an Acura TL. She loves her car as well.

We both tend to hold onto cars for about ten years (my Focus was actually eleven when I sold it) and that’s a long time to drive a car you don’t really like. Good luck with your hunt!

Personally I won't buy anything except a Subaru, Honda or Toyota. We've had Subaru Foresters for about 10 years and love them. Lots of room but not huge. Good gas mileage. Low maintenance. Very reliable.

All really reliable vehicles! I might also add Nissan to your list. I’ve had two of those with nearly 300,000 Miles on them when I got rid of them.

I wouldn’t buy a Kia or a Hyundai. We’ve had bad experiences with both.

I recently downsized and somewhat down-graded to a Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring model and I love it. It has two toned leather seats, the backup and side cameras and steering/lane change warnings, variable cruise control, navi/Apple play etc. It is great on gas, comfortable and just very easy to drive.

I have a commute in traffic that I was tired driving a stick shift during and I also realized that 98% of the time of more it is only me commuting in this car. It was crazy to drive something larger and more expensive in case I ever had to drive others around.

I’m driving a Honda Accord which is slightly larger! I love my Honda, too! Mine is actually a stick shift.

DH leased a VW e-Golf for just over 3 years. His company has free charging and he definitely came out ahead.

He just bought the new Tesla Model 3 and is thrilled with it. He likes it so much he is trying to convince me to give up my Audi and buy a 3. I'm really tempted...but the Audi is a convertible and I don't know if I can give it up. I wanted a convertible my whole life and I have only had it for a couple of years. I'm so torn! (Yes, this is the epitome of a first world problem, but I really am struggling to make a decision.)

Just talked to my neighbors who just returned a lease vehicle last week . You really has to read your lease agreement. The car was in perfect shape, but the lease specified he would to pay $500 in disposition fees at the end of the lease. $175 I think was for a mechanical inspection, $200 was for detailing. Short answer, as the leasee he was responsible for paying to put the car into shape to go on sale on the dealers lot. They are down to one car now because they don't have the $3,000 they need for the lease origination fee on another car (or for a down payment to buy another car).

Just talked to my neighbors who just returned a lease vehicle last week . You really has to read your lease agreement. The car was in perfect shape, but the lease specified he would to pay $500 in disposition fees at the end of the lease. $175 I think was for a mechanical inspection, $200 was for detailing. Short answer, as the leasee he was responsible for paying to put the car into shape to go on sale on the dealers lot. They are down to one car now because they don't have the $3,000 they need for the lease origination fee on another car (or for a down payment to buy another car).

That’s interesting. I’ll have to go over my paperwork. I just got a flier in the mail for $500 off a new lease or purchase of another Kia through the dealership. I’m hoping I can get them to apply that to a different car. I’d like my next car to last a long time, and I don’t think Kia has longevity.

That’s interesting. I’ll have to go over my paperwork. I just got a flier in the mail for $500 off a new lease or purchase of another Kia through the dealership. I’m hoping I can get them to apply that to a different car. I’d like my next car to last a long time, and I don’t think Kia has longevity.
Kias (and Hyundais) are pretty darn good cars. They have to with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Two of my co-workers lease Hondas from the same dealer. 3 year leases. At the end of the first year, they always get a call offering to give give them a new car for no money out of pocket....for the same payment they have now, cancel the old lease, give them a new 3 year lease. Win win for the dealer. They make a few thousand on the new lease, and a few thousand selling the car turned in as a used car with very low mileage.

I just bought a used 2015 Nissan Leaf. L too have a short commute. My 2002 Acura EL died. I had just put $1500 into it in January and then in July the starter went all funky and it started leaking oil. I had been just starting to save for a down payment for a new car in March hoping to get another 12-18 months out of it. Dealership still had a BC Scrapit grant that would give me $3000 for that old car, plus the down payment money I had saved. Love it so far. Dsis has a 2015 Leaf too, and while we were deciding whether to fix or get a new car I had hers to drive for a week while they were away. Lots of places to charge for free, able to easily do an errand run on a charge. Had it month, and electric bill has gone up maybe $10/ month vs $150 gas. No oil changes either.

Those EV that are leased in California are bough by the truckload and brought to Canada for purchase with low KMs and are about 1/2 the price of the new ones. We have some rebates on used EV's from the government ( I got $3000) for my old car provided it have be insured for a min of 6 months in my name and I was buying an EV. No rebates on LEASING EV's unless from the dealer but plenty for BUYING. My purchase payment is less than an lease payment. I love driving passed the gas station! DH has a truck we can use for long distance trips. Soon I will be bale to drive up island in my leaf as the government is installing charge station on the Trans Canada Highway up the island!

I’m driving a Honda Accord which is slightly larger! I love my Honda, too! Mine is actually a stick shift.

I am 48 years old and this is the first car I have ever had that is not stick shift. So, it was sort of the end of an era. My previous car was a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD, 6 speed manual. That car was fairly rare and really fast. But I am adjusting, OK. Our favorite brand has always been Honda/Acura and our other car is an Acura RDX.

I am 48 years old and this is the first car I have ever had that is not stick shift. So, it was sort of the end of an era. My previous car was a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD, 6 speed manual. That car was fairly rare and really fast. But I am adjusting, OK. Our favorite brand has always been Honda/Acura and our other car is an Acura RDX.

I am 31 and have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission. My husband had two and they were nothing but trouble! One was a Mitsubishi Eclipse and the other was a Hyundai Tiburon. Maybe just a coincidence, but it was enough to make me stick with my stick shifts :goodvibes

Personally I won't buy anything except a Subaru, Honda or Toyota. We've had Subaru Foresters for about 10 years and love them. Lots of room but not huge. Good gas mileage. Low maintenance. Very reliable.

We have 3 Toyotas and have been very happy with them. We currently have:

2004 Toyota Sequoia
2014 Hybrid Camry
2014 Prius IV

And yesterday I just got a 2010 convertible Mini Cooper! But that is our fun car, not our daily, reliable car.....it is our only stick shift. I got rid of my 2002 Saturn VUE with a stick a couple of years ago and I missed having one!

Drive train only.
Yup. The expensive things to fix. But Kia/Hyundai are on my mechanic's list of highly reliable cars, along with Honda and Toyota.
His list of unreliable cars not to buy, VW, Fiat, Dodge, Chrysler, and Nissan. The Nissan CVT transmission problems have so overwhelmed the dealers that they are subletting warranty repairs to private transmission shops here.

Tell him it's the S or nothing. :)

Tell him it's the S or nothing. :)

Ha - I don't want an S - too big. I tried to talk him into the performance model of the 3 and he said no way. I would be dangerous with that much power. LOL I would get the dual engine all wheel drive though. I'm just finding it impossible to make this decision. I'm leaning towards keeping my Audi, but then I look at the Tesla and start to waiver...

Yup. The expensive things to fix. But Kia/Hyundai are on my mechanic's list of highly reliable cars, along with Honda and Toyota.
His list of unreliable cars not to buy, VW, Fiat, Dodge, Chrysler, and Nissan. The Nissan CVT transmission problems have so overwhelmed the dealers that they are subletting warranty repairs to private transmission shops here.
I'm in my second Nissan right now and didn't really expect to be. I didn't love my first one; it just vibed weird although admittedly I never had any real trouble with it. I guess the fact that I turn them over so often (36 months/less than 60,000km) saves a lot of the worst of the issues. We had an early-generation CVT in a Dodge 10 years ago and that thing was misery from the start!

I'm screwed when manuals are finally gone in everything. I enjoy driving and if a car just becomes an appliance, it's not worth $25-30k just to use as a tool. At 46, the only time I had an automatic as my personal vehicle was when I bought my then wife a car instead of replacing my truck when I got caught with the Toyota frame rot only a few months before they did the buy-back. I traded my truck for a new vehicle for her and took over her car which was an auto. Drove it for 2 years and replaced it getting back into a manual.

I just can't stand not having control over what the car is doing. Automatics do ridiculous stuff because there's no brain behind seeing what the road conditions are.

I'm screwed when manuals are finally gone in everything. I enjoy driving and if a car just becomes an appliance, it's not worth $25-30k just to use as a tool. At 46, the only time I had an automatic as my personal vehicle was when I bought my then wife a car instead of replacing my truck when I got caught with the Toyota frame rot only a few months before they did the buy-back. I traded my truck for a new vehicle for her and took over her car which was an auto. Drove it for 2 years and replaced it getting back into a manual.

I just can't stand not having control over what the car is doing. Automatics do ridiculous stuff because there's no brain behind seeing what the road conditions are.

I agree with you. However, I live in Atlanta and commute through horrible traffic. I also have a stress fracture in my left (clutch) leg and that was not helping the healing process. Plus, I am getting to the point of wanting my cars to have all the options (generally top line of a vehicle) and almost all of the manufacturers have gotten away from even offering a stick. It is sad. I keep telling myself that I will go back to a stick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter