Tell me about Aulani for a first timer

busymomma123

DIS Veteran
We are considering going to Aulani or doing an Alaskan cruise in June 2020. Both trips have been on our family's bucket list but Hawaii has always intimidated me. It doesn't seem as easy to plan as a trip to Disney or a cruise. :) I looked at the price of DVC rental through David's and it looked very doable. Our children that will be going range from 19 to 11. My mom and brother will be joining us too. What other things besides the beach and swimming are there to do? I saw there was a day trip to the Big Island. Are there other day trips? We would like to see Pearl Harbor. I have always heard that food in Hawaii is super expensive. Are the only options to eat at Aulani, or can you travel somewhere else to grab a bite to eat too? Any information or advice you can give would be soooo helpful and appreciated. Thank you

We have been to Aulani twice and absolutely love it! We love going to the Disney parks and cruises as well. It is a different type of vacation, not nearly as much planning as going to the parks, but a little more than cruising. As far as activities go It really depends on the activity level of your family. My family is 5 adults (3 adult children 20, 23 and 24) and we are a fairly active bunch (biking and kayaking, not rock climbing and sky diving!) I feel that Pearl Harbor is a must, we went this last June and it was hot so we didn't stay as long as we did on our first visit which was in January 2015. We went to North Shore one day for biking and kayaking, it was beautiful and we were back at Aulani by mid-afternoon. We didn't go to the Aulani Luau, but I would recommend that over the one next door at Paradise Cove. We went to that one and it was cheesy, crowded and hot. Eating at restaurants at Aulani is expensive, but right across the street is a cute little strip mall with a few restaurants with better prices. I also heard that the resort next door to Aulani has a great restaurant that we want to try on our next visit. I know some people are adverse to cooking on vacation, but my husband and son-in-law love to cook so we made several dinners in our room (I am assuming you will have a kitchen if you are renting a DVC from David's). Also breakfasts and lunches are easy to have in the room, we had a lovely balcony overlooking the ocean and spent many happy moments drinking our coffee and enjoying a meal. I hope this helps to get you started, this board is awesome for that!

I looked at the price of DVC rental through David's and it looked very doable.
Just a warning that June is a very busy time of year and it books up quickly. I would engage David's now so you can get a handle on availability - you may not have all options of room type or view available. I would book ASAP, or if David's doesn't have any Aulani owners available now, you'll want to be prepared to pull the trigger right at the 7 month mark to secure your reservation.

What other things besides the beach and swimming are there to do?
The spa at Aulani is amazing! There is also a room with crafts and activities for kids, and Aunty's Beach House for the younger kids which has age appropriate activities. There's also a luau on select nights as well (for cost).

Are there other day trips?
They do offer other excursions for cost, but I would highly recommend renting a car. The excursions don't all offer transportation, and they are also very expensive and don't allow the same freedom and flexibility you would have doing it on your own. Also, if you are able to rent DVC points, parking will be free. Renting a car would be more cost effective because of this as well.

Are the only options to eat at Aulani, or can you travel somewhere else to grab a bite to eat too?
Directly across the street is Monkeypod which is a casual table service restaurant with great happy hours. There's also Pizza Corner, and I believe a taco and sushi places. Roy's is fine dining up the street. And the surrounding hotels have a few options that are walkable as well. That's pretty much everything in Ko Olina, where Aulani is located. Ko Olina is a planned, gated tourist community so everything is priced as such. You would need a vehicle to go anywhere outside this area (or Uber/Lyft). Kapolei is the closest town, about 10 minutes up the highway, and they have a ton of options for buying groceries and cheaper, familiar restaurants as well.

Depending on your tastes and how much you like to experiment, try the local small restaurants and take-outs. You'll find wonderful food at reasonable (for Hawaii) prices. Read reviews first to determine if it is what you want. If you are active, there are lots of hikes and water activities. If you want to learn about Hawaii, Bishop Museum is huge and full of neat stuff. On the north shore, the Polynesian Culture Center offers a totally g- rated experience (I don't recommend the luau). Kualoa Ranch offers multiple tours and types of transport. Don't forget to just take it easy and enjoy the beauty of the resort, send the kids to Aunties, watch Disney movies, and relax! For a first trip, the Go Oahu card might be a savings and a push to try different places. Okay--we'll be at Aulani in 3 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter