Target Red Card

seasheller

seasheller
Went to Target in Minnesota less than two weeks ago and bought a Samsung Galaxy7 phone. We are now vacationing in Hawaii and the phone is not working right. The right side of the phone does not always respond when tapped (backspace becomes m, deleting pictures doesn't always work). Target says I only had 14 days to return it and I would need the box and sales slip which of course I don't have here. They refuse to do anything - have called Target office and the local Target stores here and the one where I bought it in Minnesota. If I had used a regular credit card and not used my Red Card, it think it would have more of a warranty. Now I will be out the $150 for the phone. I can't say that I have ever been a Target fan, but since we just moved to Minnesota last year decided to get the Red Card. Not sure what options I have. Will try calling Samsung next.

Went to Target in Minnesota less than two weeks ago and bought a Samsung Galaxy7 phone. We are now vacationing in Hawaii and the phone is not working right. The right side of the phone does not always respond when tapped (backspace becomes m, deleting pictures doesn't always work). Target says I only had 14 days to return it and I would need the box and sales slip which of course I don't have here. They refuse to do anything - have called Target office and the local Target stores here and the one where I bought it in Minnesota. If I had used a regular credit card and not used my Red Card, it think it would have more of a warranty. Now I will be out the $150 for the phone. I can't say that I have ever been a Target fan, but since we just moved to Minnesota last year decided to get the Red Card. Not sure what options I have. Will try calling Samsung next.

Call Samsung, it'll still have their warranty. They'll probably have you do a factory reset on the phone. Everything you do going forward is going to be with Samsung since that's who the warranty will be with.

^ Yep. Call Samsung. I had an issue a few years ago and was able to go to a Samsung facility and they fixed it right then and there (took about an hour total). However, I know at the time that there weren't many Samsung stores to do repairs (one on the East Coast I think it was and one on the West) Not sure if that's changed since then.

Good luck!

Target Red card would not give you any more of a warranty period than any other form of payment. So your title “Target Red Card” has nothing to do with your actual post.

Cell phones are commonly given a 14 day return period, no questions asked at most retailers. Target included. After the 14 days, it is up to your manufacturer warranty (Samsung in your case). You need to contact Samsung. They owe you warranty repair/replacement, not Target.

Using/not using a Red Card bears no value in your case.

Last edited:
I have an Apple iPhone, but to illustrate what I’m saying...

I thought I wanted an iPhone 8 a couple weeks ago. So I purchased one at Target.

A week later Apple announced their new iPhones, bringing down the cost of the iPhone 8 Plus. Nothing wrong with my iPhone 8, just that I changed my mind. I was able to return the iPhone 8 no problems. Btw... to the poster who suggested being sneaky and switching boxes... they check serial numbers. Never mind what is the ethical solution. If you have to be sneaky you’re doing it wrong.

Conversely my daughter bought an iPhone at Target last Thanksgiving. This summer the battery was draining far too fast. It was far past a 14 day return policy, but well within Apple’s 1 year warranty. So she got it repaired at the Apple store.

Return policy is NOT the same as manufacturer warranty.

Thank you everyone! Samsung says we can wait until we are back home to get the phone taken care of so I'm going to put up with it for another week. I got so upset that I didn't even think of Samsung's warranty! I don't usually get so rattled. Also took a TracFone to Hawaii so I could call my husband if we get separated. TracFone cut off the one I have with me rather than the one that is back in Minnesota - that one was set to expire right after we got to Hawaii. Also got that taken care of - so I have spent a considerable amount of minutes on the phones since we got here. Appreciate everyone's help - thank you!

Target Red card would not give you any more of a warranty period than any other form of payment.

Many credit cards provide a warranty extension beyond the manufacturer warranty, although the manufacturer warranty still is the primary until it expires so in this case the OP needs to deal with Samsung (as they have). The Target RedCard does not provide any extended warranty benefits, so it is something I consider when making large electronic purchases.

Just spent hours on the phone with TracFone. They totally messed up my account, deactivated one phone and then transferred the other phone number to it making it useless. They insisted that I had changed the number from the other phone. I finally asked the guy (the expert that I was transferred to) where he was located. No response. Asked if he was in the US. No response. Asked again where he was. Answer: Miami State Florida. Sound like a US response???? The phone is working again, but now I have three months to expiration rather than the year it said previously. He said I have to prove when I last added minutes. No - he could not look that up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter