Target Gift Cards vs Disney Visa Credit Card

Which one would be better to use to pay for the cruise?
Target gift cards (and I assume you mean Disney Gift Cards purchased at Target) are 5% off when using your Red Card. Disney Rewards on the Premier Visa are -what?- 2%?

Assuming your Red Card is a debit or, if credit, you don’t carry a balance over to the next month, seems like 5% beats 2%.

If you do need to carry a balance, then the 0% interest for 6 months on the Disney Visa might make more sense. Even just a couple of months of interest will likely eat away at the money saved.

This question might be better-posed on the Budget Board, maybe?

Last edited:
What @squirk said. I get 1% in charges with the basic Disney VISA. Depending on your credit card’s cashback program, gift cards at Sam’s is a better % off.

What @squirk said. I get 1% in charges with the basic Disney VISA. Depending on your credit card’s cashback program, gift cards at Sam’s is a better % off.
Good point. The best deal I get is 5% cash-back on my Discover at wholesale clubs. Sam’s gives you about 3.5% discount, and then the 5% on top of that gets you into the 8.25% range. Unfortunately, it’s only once a year on Discover, and caps at $1,500 of purchases.

And there’s also the Costco deal, too, if you shop there.

If you go the gift card route, keep in mind that if you end up canceling and getting a refund it will go back to the gift card. You can also only put/transfer a max of $1000 per card, so you will have several cards/card numbers you will need to keep track of.

We did a combination of Disney gift cards (a few purchased at Target, several at Best Buy when they periodically offer 10% off, and a few from Disney Store when they have good cash back deals on my Chase Visa). The rest I put on my Chase Visa directly. I will say I spent a lot of time buying up gift cards and consolidating them, but I find that kind of fun.

If you go the gift card route, keep in mind that if you end up canceling and getting a refund it will go back to the gift card. You can also only put/transfer a max of $1000 per card, so you will have several cards/card numbers you will need to keep track of.
This is true but disneygiftcard.com makes it easy to keep track of your different cards -- and move money between gift cards. I like to buy the e-cards from Target so I get them in my email right away, add them to the DGC site and then transfer the balance to one of my existing gift cards. :)

Good point. The best deal I get is 5% cash-back on my Discover at wholesale clubs. Sam’s gives you about 3.5% discount, and then the 5% on top of that gets you into the 8.25% range. Unfortunately, it’s only once a year on Discover, and caps at $1,500 of purchases.

And there’s also the Costco deal, too, if you shop there.

A Costco Disney Gift Card deal? I have never seen them at Costco.

A Costco Disney Gift Card deal? I have never seen them at Costco.
If you book your cruise through Costco Travel, I believe you get a huge credit via a Costco store card.

Not dissimilar in size to OBC you would receive from a travel agency, but a credit you can use on practical expenses, like groceries, which you are going to buy regardless.

If you book your cruise through Costco Travel, I believe you get a huge credit via a Costco store card.

Not dissimilar in size to OBC you would receive from a travel agency, but a credit you can use on practical expenses, like groceries, which you are going to buy regardless.
Ahh, OK. That I knew about and have taken advantage of. I thought you were talking about a Disney gift card deal. Thanks!

Which one would be better to use to pay for the cruise?
I do both. I put the initial payment on my card to take advantage of the 6 mo no interest and then I buy the rest of the cost with the Target gift cards, a few per month until PIF date.

Ahh, OK. That I knew about and have taken advantage of. I thought you were talking about a Disney gift card deal. Thanks!
I don’t have all the particulars on the Costco credit, since there are no Costcos near me, but I suppose you could …..book with Costco for the store credit, but pay off the cruise with Disney GC’s bought with either a 5% Red Card, or a 5% cash-back offer used to buy the cards at Sam’s at another 3.5% discount?

So, in a perfect world where you have no ceiling on your cash-back rewards, Costco credit + 5% cash-back + 3.5% Sam’s.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter