Target Gift Cards...any alternative

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
I tried to go through my old stomping grounds on the Disney Gift Card thread, but not sure I can comb through thousands of pages. And, I didn't want to bog it down with a new, unrelated post, so I just figured I would create a separate thread.

About 3 years ago, during one of the Target gift card sales, I loaded up on Target cards...over $1,000 worth. Now, this was right after we had done a Disney vacation, so I bought them in anticipation of and planning for the next Disney trip. In the mean time, as we all know...the buying Disney gift card with Target gift card has gone away. And, now I have all this unused gift card credit. (I know, I know...so first world of me to say that. I'm rolling my eyes at myself, trust me.) I love Target and shop there a decent amount (when I have the chance), but I don't live near a Target, so it would take me a long time to go through that money on groceries, incidentals, and the like.

Does anyone know of a good, legal way to unload all the Target cards, or at least most, in a way that I can get cash back? Or an exchange situation? Anything I am not thinking of?

The best way would be to sell them to a friend who shops at Target often.
The gift card selling websites could be helpful too.

A couple things come to mind hopefully may be helpful...did you know with the Target Redcard you get free shipping...$1000 is a bit of money but could you use the money for gifts (Christmas is not that far away) also buying staples for your home (paper goods, laundry supplies, incidentals, etc) having them delivered...these are possibly more time consuming and not as quick a turnaround for your money that you would like but I would be bummed to have that money just sitting around and would get assertive in using it up.

Even if you don't live near Target, I would use them to order things like cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc to use them up. I live about 2 miles from Target, but since I can't get out of there without spending a fortune, I order household things all the time to avoid actually going into the store.

i'll second the cleaning supplies. i've costed it out and esp. when they've got a sale going, target has the best prices on tp and paper towels. granted $1000 is a big amount but target ships free with a fairly low purchase so you could even set up an auto reorder (and get a greater discount price) and then recoup the money from your regular shopping budget for a long time (their detergent sales are great as well). pet supplies like cat litter are great to get from them (esp. to avoid lifting multiple times from shelf to home).

the other thing-if you've got family members who are gamers then come christmas target can have some of the best deals w/buy 2 get 1 free video games.

You can order a surprising amount of stuff from Target online but if you want the cash you can try to sell through a gift card site like Raise or Cardcash or something like that.

Thanks for the input everyone! Sounds like I have a decision to make.

I am not crazy about the idea of CardCashing it, due to the cut I would be taking. Probably a 20-30% cut depending, which isn't great.

I think the other side is just a matter of disciplining myself and re-training my brain. While the 1,000 I don't spend on household items is 1,000 I can put to something else, it just....isn't a tangible thing, ya know. It's not money in the hand or a gift card. Also...anytime I go to Target, even though I have all these oodles of gift cards, I still always use my Redcard, because I don't wanna lose out on 5%. So, like I said, it is just a matter of forcing myself to use those cards and keep a mental tally of the numbers.

Thanks for the input everyone! Sounds like I have a decision to make.

I am not crazy about the idea of CardCashing it, due to the cut I would be taking. Probably a 20-30% cut depending, which isn't great.

I think the other side is just a matter of disciplining myself and re-training my brain. While the 1,000 I don't spend on household items is 1,000 I can put to something else, it just....isn't a tangible thing, ya know. It's not money in the hand or a gift card. Also...anytime I go to Target, even though I have all these oodles of gift cards, I still always use my Redcard, because I don't wanna lose out on 5%. So, like I said, it is just a matter of forcing myself to use those cards and keep a mental tally of the numbers.

But if you ordered those GCs during a gift card sale, then you probably have more than a 5% discount already. You're not "losing out" on the Red Card savings; you're cashing in on the savings you already scored.

Right.....got the cards at a 10% discount, but would be taking a 20-30% cut, so yes, it would be a loss, nonetheless.

I haven't made a decision yet, but...my guess is I will go with using it for household items/necessities so i get the full value.

Right.....got the cards at a 10% discount, but would be taking a 20-30% cut, so yes, it would be a loss, nonetheless.

I haven't made a decision yet, but...my guess is I will go with using it for household items/necessities so i get the full value.

I wasn't suggesting to sell them. Just use them for the things you would otherwise buy with your Red Card. Your discount will be greater using the GCs purchased at 10% off than the 5% savings from the Red Card.

If it makes you feel better, when you go to Target, pick up a Disney GC. If you spend $50 on toilet paper and laundry detergent, use your Target GCs for that, and then buy a $50 Disney GC with your red card. The result is the same as if you bought your household items with the Red Card and exchanged Target GCs for Disney GCs

Last edited:
You said you love Target and shop there a decent amount so I guess I don’t understand why you wouldn’t spend the gift cards at 10% off instead of your red card at 5% off? Target has groceries, housewares, clothing, gifts....I just don’t think it would be that difficult to spend $1000 there over the course of a few years, just buying things you normally buy! Enjoy your shopping spree!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter