Talking about DVC with strangers

Ashlotte

DIS Veteran
I just went to the bank to get my cashier's check to buy our resale Aulani account. The bank teller saw that I was sending the money to a title company and congratulated me on my real estate purchase. Then after typing the check up, he came back and said, "Sorry. I just have to ask... I'm a dad of five kids, and saw Disney on the name. What are you buying?" And then I had to tell him all about DVC and grab a sticky note to give him websites to learn more, where to look for listings, etc. It's actually a lot more difficult to explain DVC in a super short conversation than I thought. He definitely looked interested, but I didn't want to bombard him with info. As we know, DVC is a topic that can go on for quite a while.

Anyway, I'm not even an owner yet, and already enthusiastically telling people about DVC. It was fun for me, since it was my first time. I'm sure it's less exciting as time goes on.

Have you had any fun DVC conversations with strangers? Did you feel like a pusher or a recruiter? :P

I have had a few brief conversations with non owners who were interested, but what I have really enjoyed is just randomly meeting other owners at the resorts and the parks. It's fun to compare notes and share our enjoyment of DVC. Right after we purchased our first contract we took an ABD southern CA tour. It was an adult only version so it was mostly couples. We were the only family of three and there was one single woman. We ended up spending a ton of time with her as it just evened up table seatings, rides, etc. She was a long time DVC owner and we learned so much from her! It was a great ice breaker for us and made for an even better trip.

I just had lunch with a friend who is getting married in a few months. Even though I am not yet an owner I did say that I would like to try and book him a 1BR at VGC if/when I can make it work after I get signed up in a few months as a fun trip for the new married couple. I've been running this purchase by him (we are both finance/accounting nerds) and he said that he knows his partner loves Disneyland and I might be on the way to getting him to join in a few years if/when he has kids. So yea.... there are more of us who don't even own yet who are already spreading the word :)

So funny! I should have gone for that interview when DVC tried to recruit me back in the 1990's when we bought OKW...would've made a million bucks LOL! As it is, I've been happy to answer questions since for free (and mostly at the bank for notarization)! :idea:

I just went to the bank to get my cashier's check to buy our resale Aulani account. The bank teller saw that I was sending the money to a title company and congratulated me on my real estate purchase. Then after typing the check up, he came back and said, "Sorry. I just have to ask... I'm a dad of five kids, and saw Disney on the name. What are you buying?" And then I had to tell him all about DVC and grab a sticky note to give him websites to learn more, where to look for listings, etc. It's actually a lot more difficult to explain DVC in a super short conversation than I thought. He definitely looked interested, but I didn't want to bombard him with info. As we know, DVC is a topic that can go on for quite a while.

Anyway, I'm not even an owner yet, and already enthusiastically telling people about DVC. It was fun for me, since it was my first time. I'm sure it's less exciting as time goes on.

Have you had any fun DVC conversations with strangers? Did you feel like a pusher or a recruiter? :P
When I was at the bank getting a cashiers check for our resale contract the teller was like ohh going on a Disney vacation? I was thinking are you crazy for this kind of money??? Then I explained. They seemed super confused so I just stopped.

So, my husband and I are in a research/saving process right now with the hopes of buying in 6 months to a year from now. Trying to explain this to my HUSBAND was confusing enough, forget a stranger.

"So, we need to spend this money for points, then we trade the points in for days, but not all days are the same points, and there's also a fee for the points we pay yearly, and each resort is different... and 11 months... and 7 months... and YES I am sure we should do this..."

LOL

"So, we need to spend this money for points, then we trade the points in for days, but not all days are the same points, and there's also a fee for the points we pay yearly, and each resort is different... and 11 months... and 7 months... and YES I am sure we should do this..."

LOL
I was against DVC for approximately ten years because I thought it sounded nuts. I sat through a presentation once and thought anyone who bought this thing had rocks in their heads. The notes on my file indicate I was perceived as a time waster because i kept asking questions (newly trained guide left them up on the TV). But five contracts later...

People know I'm a crazy Disney person. I've had several long conversations about it with people, but I've only talked people out of DVC. I don't know anyone else IRL who would actually be a good fit for it. I always start with that it is committing to go to Disney every year, and then most people are already out.

I have a couple local-ish friends who I think could use a cheap night here and there, but they hate Disney... And I even sent them the video of AKL club level.

So I haven't had the conversation yet with strangers, but a few times with friends who don't know anything about DVC and it has been difficult to fully explain and I can always see the confused looks on their faces.

One of my wife's closet's friends got real excited talking to my wife about it one day, I think she thinks we can just stay anywhere, anytime, any room we want. She's currently a family of 4 trying for 5, and we are going to be a family of 3 in a couple months, and she was talking with my wife about us doing a trip to Aulani both families........... my wife I don't think had the heart to tell her our 150 SSR points aren't ever going to live out that fantasy vacation!! But hey it's still a fun conversation amongst friends to have!

Many of my conversations with strangers have been at the resorts, most recently at RIV hanging at the pool with people there on cash stays! Its fun being able to share with them the aspects of it! I am sure they can tell I am a big fan!

Many of my conversations with strangers have been at the resorts, most recently at RIV hanging at the pool with people there on cash stays! Its fun being able to share with them the aspects of it! I am sure they can tell I am a big fan!
Back in 2017 one of my coworkers let me use his points at BCV for a week. At the time we didn't know anything about DVC and this was actually the first time my wife and I stayed on property together (first time we stayed together was off property). BCV was awesome and we couldn't believe my coworker just charged us $930 (we didn't know what MFs were). We started talking to this other couple at the pool one day who said they owned DVC and they were really, really into it. They said they owned elsewhere but they only ever stayed at BCV. Now being an owner and seeing availability firsthand my wife and I still scratch our heads wondering how they always stay at Beach if they don't own there. But I'll tell ya that husband should be a salesman cause he was so into it and that first got us thinking about getting in ourselves.

So who knows- you may have just convinced some people to look into it!

I could totally sell DVC. But I give all the views.

Yes, I noticed people around the pool like to chat DVC.

Ooh my coworkers are a captive audience.

My friend finally asked details but she looked scared like please don't talk my ear off becAuse I am really not going to buy this.I just pause every few sentences to see if they want more. Usually not. lol. So much to talk about otherwise and I only have short bits of times with real friends so they just rather go home and google it.

Last edited:
I have talked about with some friends and co-workers. I have had several find out I have DVC that know enough about it to ask about using my points. Seems most think it would be a free trip. I just smile and say my points are all spoken for and being used by me. I have found a few co-workers over the years who are DVC too (sat next to an Aulani owner for awhile so we would chat dvc, another one whose parents have been DVC for many years so she has used their points a lot, former coworker who took over a cousin's HHI contract from her).

I have talked about with some friends and co-workers. I have had several find out I have DVC that know enough about it to ask about using my points. Seems most think it would be a free trip. I just smile and say my points are all spoken for and being used by me. I have found a few co-workers over the years who are DVC too (sat next to an Aulani owner for awhile so we would chat dvc, another one whose parents have been DVC for many years so she has used their points a lot, former coworker who took over a cousin's HHI contract from her).
People just ask you to give them points?

Oof, that's tacky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter