• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk me into DCL

My family just got off of the Oasis yesterday and half-way through the trip, we decided that it is back to DCL for us. We had a good time overall, but we really missed the Disney touches, service and attention to detail. We felt that DCL provides a higher level experience for our family. Our kids (7 and 9 year old girls) preferred DCL and their kid's clubs.

We went back and forth several times and looked at the July 8th double dip. But at $6,900 for 5 nights and after adding in airfare, gratuities and incidentals. We decided on one 6 night trip to Disneyland and one 6 night trip to WDW. Including airfare and rental car and food, our out of pocket came out to be about the same. Well not exactly the same, as at both we will use our 2018 DVC points. Damn you DVC. I guess we could rent our 250 points, but that wouldn't even get us halfway paid towards one 5 night cruise.

Well we're not experts; we've only gone on Dream and Fantasy (1 each) and then we tried Carnival Breeze which was a third of the price for a comparable room. But there was NO comparison for us. Carnival did not hold a candle to Disney for food, service, cleanliness, kids clubs and entertainment. We decided that we LOVE cruising but we will stick with Disney. We rather pay the extra money for a fantastic experience then spend a third for a disappointing lackluster time. The food was so nasty we were actually hungry. The common areas were filthy; dirty tables and overflowing garbage cans. The staff were absent and just not as polished. The adult entertainment was pathetic and the kids club not in the same league at all. We almost died of thirst, unlike Disney cruises where there are non-alcoholic drink machines on the pool deck we had to stand in line for ages to get a watered down soda (we paid for the unlimited soda card) at the bar as there were never any servers anywhere. The excursions we did on Carnival were just as good as Disney but we missed Castaway Cay. Not sure if anyone can convince you to stick with Disney but NO one could ever convince me to try another cruise line after our disappointing experience with Carnival.

From friends and family members we know that have cruised Carnival, I am not surprised by your experience. We recently went on RCCL and found it a wash compared to DCL, we liked some things better from each line. One thing we didn't experience is the kids clubs since we are empty nesters. Overall though DCL has been good to us, but I will say our switch wasn't just because of price, the product for us had become stale after so many cruises over 8ish years.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter