Taking your own water/beer onboard

not planning on any heavy drinking,just asking for info because I don't wish to pay their prices for beer and drink a specific kind. Thats all..

Their drink prices onboard are very reasonable....cheaper than a drink at a bar on land.

If you want to bring a specific brand onboard you sure can....Disney asks (at least at Port Canaveral) to NOT give the beverages to the porters to take to your room. Disney wants any beverages brought onboard to be in your CARRYONS.

I think this is a small request from DCL and should be followed. the perk of bringing your own stuff onboard is huge and I would hate to see it taken away because people were not following the guidelines. Stuff should be in your carryons, not checked in with your luggage.

After DH dropped me off at the port to check in, he left to return the rental and bought a 12 pack of water while he was out. Then we just carried it on board with us and replenished them in the fridge as we needed them. They stayed plenty cold.

just to want to make sure i understand....
the rolling soft-sided cooler needs to be able to fit through the x-ray machine with the carry-ons? you don't roll it through with you?

does anyone have any dimensions? my cooler will prob fit... it just looks bigger than my carry on.:)

This one is close to mine, I think it's the newer model:

http://www.californiainnovations.co...achable-personal-cooler-and-all-terrain-cart/

Dimensions: 14" x 14.25" x 14.25"
35.56cm x 36.20cm x 36.20cm

Edit:

At home I have the FUNNIEST picture of someone in the terminal, holding a plastic gallon bottle of water with a luggage tag on it. I'll have to remember to post it.

cimg1259hf4.jpg

This one is close to mine, I think it's the newer model:

http://www.californiainnovations.co...achable-personal-cooler-and-all-terrain-cart/

Dimensions: 14" x 14.25" x 14.25"
35.56cm x 36.20cm x 36.20cm

Edit:

At home I have the FUNNIEST picture of someone in the terminal, holding a plastic gallon bottle of water with a luggage tag on it. I'll have to remember to post it.

cimg1259hf4.jpg

or vodka in disguise;) ;)

i found a sim cooler w/mesh bag for wet beach gear @ SAMS club, around $20 - $25 as i recall...used it this summer @ Cedar Point, leaving it in SUV all day...water/pop was still cold the next day:)

We spent the night before our cruise in Orlando so we had time to shop. I bought a flat of 12 1/2 liters of water and slapped my luggage tag on it. When I arrived at the Disney Cruise Line bus at the airport, the driver took my suitcase and the water. The next time I saw them was when I entered my stateroom later that day. I put a few bottles of the water in the in-room beverage cooler and kept replenishing them each day.

I put a bottle of rum in my day bag and mixed up a few drinks during the cruise. However, I still made sure I had the "Drink of the Day" everyday along with other alcoholic beverages. But it was nice to know I could make up my own drinks if I wanted to.

I forgot to mention, we just got off the boat on Thursday. We were on Wonder, 8/10-8/14.

So they are taking cases of water w/the luggage tags on them? I don't have to use a rolling cooler or put it in my carry on? I thought I read somewhere they were no longer allowing, but I would be stoked that they still are! :teeth:

P.S. I think luggage tag on carry on items is a bit of overkill. ;)

We do bring a soft sided cooler ( I picked up at Sam's club) we put 2 bottles of our favorite wine and some 100% juice boxes in there too. I found that the cooler works great to pack souvies in when leaving the ship. (mind you we don't have to fly so that is a whole new problem). So the roll on cooler works as a suitcase too. (At least for us.):thumbsup2

If I bring beer in glass bottles, will I need to pour them into a cup to drink? If so, where do I get cups?

If I bring beer in glass bottles, will I need to pour them into a cup to drink? If so, where do I get cups?

We made sure not to pack glass...we brought cans. You really shouldn't take glass onto the beach or to the pools. DCL will provide plastic bottles on CC and the drink glasses by the pool will be plastic. Glass is an accident waiting to happen. I packed a can huggie thing tho for DH's beer cans....or they sell them on the ship so you can buy one as a souvie. (I didn't see the bottle ones tho, only for cans.) The cups at the drink station are paper but you can always ask for a glass though from your room steward or from a bar....

Can I ask why people bring bottled water?
I can see needing it for the shore excursions but can't you drink the tap water?
I drink A LOT of water everyday. I don't think I can carry enough water on board for the entire week. I can easily drink 7 or 8 16oz bottles a day. That doesn't even include my family. I'd hate to have to bring that much water.

I take bottled water because the ship's water has a lot of sodium in it. Totally drinkable and fine, but some need to watch that. Plus, I like being able to take my own water off the ship. DCL is nice enough to provide bottled water if your on one of their excursions. I don't like drinking water from a bathroom sink. So, yes, I like having bottled water in my room to consume. I'll fully admit that I'm too lazy to go to another deck to grab a glass of water.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Has anyone else just slapped a tag on your water case to be sent with luggage? :confused3

We made sure not to pack glass...we brought cans. You really shouldn't take glass onto the beach or to the pools. DCL will provide plastic bottles on CC and the drink glasses by the pool will be plastic. Glass is an accident waiting to happen. I packed a can huggie thing tho for DH's beer cans....or they sell them on the ship so you can buy one as a souvie. (I didn't see the bottle ones tho, only for cans.) The cups at the drink station are paper but you can always ask for a glass though from your room steward or from a bar....

The particular beer I'm bringing only comes in bottles, which is why I was wondering about getting cups. I'd rather not drink from the glass bottle or get a glass cup; are the plastic cups by the pool just out to use or do I need to buy a drink to get one?

I wished Disney just had filtered water. Honestly... with airlines charging for extra bags I don't see how this is saving you money. Right now, I'm flying Continental to Orlando and they are charging for the 1st bag. So, I gotta be careful what I pack which means my overflow is gonna go on my rolling case. So, that doesn't leave me enough room for the water & beer. Then, when I land I'd have to go to the store and buy a rolling suitcase to fill and then, by the water and beer. Is it really gonna save me money?

Also, I'm really starting to think about being GREEN. I'm ready to ban plastic bottles from my house. Now, if you have medical reasons, that is different but otherwise I just don't see the point any more. So, that's why I wished DCL had filtered water!

Has anyone else just slapped a tag on your water case to be sent with luggage? :confused3

Does this still work? Has anyone done this?
I plan on taking 2 cases of water and even though I will put them in roll-ons if I have to, it would be better if they could be sent right to the room.

Does this still work? Has anyone done this?
I plan on taking 2 cases of water and even though I will put them in roll-ons if I have to, it would be better if they could be sent right to the room.
The new rule is that it has to be in roll-on suitcase.

Is this in the FAQ or some other place? I did not get any documents from DCL and was just curious on where this is at.

The new rule is that it has to be in roll-on suitcase.

That's what I thought I'd read, but another poster said she did this on her recent Aug cruise and they allowed her just to slap the tag on to be sent with her luggage. That would be easier.

Ok, so if I am flying in the night before, I can bring just my reg luggage on the flight. Stay overnight and maybe get case of bottled water that night or in the AM before heading to the ship. Does anyone know if any of the hotels near the port have a Walmart or something nearby? I could easily grab bottled water and/or a soft sided cooler there.

Does the cooler/suitcase have to be on wheels?

And is it only beer and water or can you bring coolers or other alcohol on this way? :thumbsup2

I am surprised that they let us bring any of it at all....

mom2two2

Okay - I am glad I found this post. I was initially planning on bringing a 12pk of water but I read this on the cruise website...

Can coolers and/or food items be brought onboard?

Coolers are not permitted except for those needed for medications, baby food or items related to dietary constraints. Items must be pre-packaged, unopened and cannot require any food prep from the kitchen. Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought onboard. Homemade items or pre-cooked items purchased on the way to the ship will not be allowed to be brought aboard. Also, open bags or containers of snack items should not be brought aboard. All items will need to be stored in the stateroom; the ship's storage and/or refrigeration are not available to use.

Do they just not enforce this?

Also, if they do allow you to bring closed drinks on, how about a bottle or two of wine? DH and I would love to drink some on the verandah after DD goes to bed. On RCCL we did this and it was great.

By the way, on RCCL, all the poolside souvenier glasses were glass and there were bottled beer and wine glasses as well. If there is no glass allowed what does everyone drink out of? Plastic cups? :crazy2: Yuck. I am not a snob but if I am paying good money for a cruise, I want to drink wine out of a wine glass and beer from a bottle or pilsner glass. It isn't a frat house afterall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter