Taking your laptop...

Wow, thanks!!
I'm going to print out your advice & use it.

My ? after what PBX1 said, was, having a "wireless router" in the house - that would provide WiFi for a laptop & an iTouch - that's why it needs security, b/c it's wireless. Right?

But would having a "wireless router" - does that put my desk top computer/system at risk? Or are we talking two totally separate things?

And yes we have that saying in English too, the shoe maker's children never have shoes! LOL.

Thanks again!

:flower3: Daisy Disney Addict (I like that!)

You need to secure the wireless router to stop folks from stealing your bandwith and protect all of you devices on your home network.

Bandwith.
If you have a neighbour who is downloading a lot of movies, music games, etc and can access your network it could push you over your monthly bandwidth allotment and cost you $$.

Securing the router and your devices.
It's kind of like locking your door so if they want to break into your house they need a little effort.
If someone wants to get in they'll figure out a way.
The same with your network in your home.

If a pro really wants to hack into your network it's going to happen. Even if you don't have a wirless network some pros can hack through your modem and waltz right into your computer.

You can be hacked, but the chances are rare if you take a few precautions like have a pass word on your wireless network and use encryption for sensitive documents.

Here's a couple of articles and the Microsft XP page on securing your computer. You don't need to take every precaution mentioned but it gives you some ideas. Backing up your is very important.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9523298/
http://www.dailycupoftech.com/images/02.png
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/default.mspx

10Ways.png

Getting back to the original poster's message....

If you bring your laptop, you'll notice that there seems to be free wifi at the airport in Orlando. That's pretty sweet if you don't feel like spending your final bits of money on the Disney Store in the terminal. LOL

Free Internet at the DVC resorts for DVC members! Was great not having to pay $9.95/day like last year.

If you're staying at one of the Disney resorts, bring your wireless router with you and you can surf the Internet from anywhere in your room!

thanks!!

not urgent, but here's another question

once we get the laptop, how do we "do" wireless? i.e., we have rogers high speed for this desktop computer (not dial up) - do we buy that new rocket stick thing?

thanks!!

finally, bought the laptop & having a future shop tech come to set up secured wireless.

being a rogers "lite" hispeed customer, the tech guy said that we get a certain amount of wireless from rogers w/out extra charges, does anyone know about this? TIA!

While you're waiting for your flight at the airport, look around for electrical outlets and find a seat nearby. Plug it in to make sure it's fully charged for the flight.

Free Internet at the DVC resorts for DVC members! Was great not having to pay $9.95/day like last year.

If you're staying at one of the Disney resorts, bring your wireless router with you and you can surf the Internet from anywhere in your room!

DVC resorts are wireless now isn't it??? So waiting to take my tablet with me, thanks to the Blackberry Playbook sale:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter