T-Rex

cmusschoot

DIS Veteran
Please tell me about T-Rex, we are taking my son, 4, on our next trip. He is very into dinosaurs right now and has seen pictures and cannot wait.

What can you tell me about food...ambiance...best place to sit...
Thanks!
Carrie

My boys are a little older (12 and 10), but we really enjoyed it much better than anything else we could have chosen. We went around 3pm for a late lunch.

My oldest had the ribs which he cleaned his plate and the youngest had the Kids meal fried shrimp. I had the Quesadilla appy as my entree and they were very good and Dh had this huge Dino burger which was extremely huge and cooked to order and very good. The burgers come with chips unless you upgrade to fries.

We sat in the back of the Dino section. THe Coral reef section is at the front on the left side of the restaurant behind the bar and then the Dino Section, and then the Ice room is across from the reef section and behind the gift shop.

My boys enjoyed it and we were pleasantly surprised with the food. We were expecting more atmosphere and less tasty food, but the food was actually pretty good and the quality was there, so we thought it a decent value especially since we used the $10 off coupon! I think the Dino area was pretty neat if your son likes Dinos then that's the area to request. The coral part is very neat with lots of sea creatures hanging from the ceiling but it is very pastel in color as opposed to the browns of the Dino area. The ice room is more ice cave-like, and although I wanted to eat there initially, we were fine with the dino area as the ice room is mainly just jagged ice. It is loud and the animals "act up" every 15 min or so, so it gets louder. I think at 1 point it got a little darker in the restaurant so something to be aware of if your son doesnt like dark. Didnt last long and was part of the show.

We walked around all the areas to take a few photos and we spent a little time in the gift shop area/dino build although we did not partake. I didnt think the dino build was all that crazy priced. If my boys were into stuffed animals it would have been around $25-$30 for a clothed dino bear. They were very cute.

We will definitely return. Probably again for a late lunch to share a huge burger and fries.:thumbsup2

Since this is owned by the same people who run Rainforest, there are a lot of similarities. I actually think the menu and food at Rainforest are better than here. We have tried it twice - once when it opened and then a few months later. I would say the food is average and overpriced and the atmosphere is great. I wouldn't go just for the food. We couldn't even step foot near Build a Dino and I had to the leave the gift shop area as it was more crowded than the parks :rotfl:

I would say you should at least try it once. We probably will not go back and will pick Rainforest over this one.

Hi Carrie, I will tell you this restaurant is very COOL, but.... I took my 5 year old son last Dec. and he was very scared the whole time while in this restaurant. He is a very fun, active and tough kid to. He really wanted to go when he saw the pictures on the web, but it was a little to real for him. Just a heads up. Our food was good, and my 9 year old daughter loved it.

with the PP that the menu and food are a little lacking compared to RFC. The burgers were pretty good. I also tried the chicken fried steak which was lacking in flavor. It was an absolutely huge serving. Bigger than anything I've gotten in Texas.

It was worth going to the restaurant for the atmosphere. My kids loved it and we took pictures of each. We were fortunate to have a seat in what I believe is called the Fern Forest. There was just a wall separating from the sea room and an aisle and table separating us from the Ice Room. The restrooms are at the back of the Ice Room. My thoughts just walking through it was that i didn'e want to eat there. I think the Fern Room (or whatever it is called) is probably what your son is expecting.

Kids are very different in how they loud, dark or active presentations. My daughter was five on this trip. She pulls her hat down over head in the Energy ride in Epcot. Her first time at RFC we were sat by some of figures and she was initially frightened. She wouldn't sit next to them. By the end of the meal I had to switch seats with her so she could sit next to them. She had no problem with the figures in T-Rex.

Thank you for all the comments...I think my son will love it, I have to warn him about the dark...

Also, any idea where to get that 10.00 off coupon???

Thank you for all the comments...I think my son will love it, I have to warn him about the dark...

Also, any idea where to get that 10.00 off coupon???

You may find this helpful. You can become a Safari Club member at the Rainforest Cafe for $10 this summer. (at least at the one in Gurnee) They then send you a coupon for $10 off and you get a 20% (if I remember correctly) discount at any of the Landry's restaurants. It seemed like a good deal to me. I just joined a few weeks ago though and haven't tried it out much yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter