SWGE in August? Parks in August?

sgrap

DIS Veteran
Any idea on how DLR will be handling SWGE attendance after the reservation time ends?

We are people who never, ever do DLR in the summer or on school breaks. We don't like hot weather or huge crowds. BUT . . . our daughter just decided that instead of going to a local college, she is going to a college in Southern CA, and we are going to drive her there in mid-August. I managed to find a DVC room at the Grand Californian for 3 nights, so we will be staying on property, but we aren't sure if we want to do the parks on a mid-August weekend. I know that SWGE opening and being off the reservation system is going to impact attendance patterns, but what are August weekends typically like? Trying to decide if it is worth spending the $ on tickets or not. Thanks!

Crowds might be quite manageable on a mid August weekend. Many of the local APs may still be blocked, as they are in the summer, try looking at the DL AP blockout calendar. And the weather varies from really hot in the day (but not humid) to nice and in the low 80s. Either way, it is cooler at night and really nice. I will be there later in August for the Expo.

They have announced a system for SWGE. They will limit access to the land during the day, if necessary. And re-open it to guests as crowd levels decrease. On the app I think you will be able to monitor this and perhaps request to get a text when you can enter? They also have MaxPass which is wonderful and worth the price, especially if you start out in the early morning.

Crowds might be quite manageable on a mid August weekend. Many of the local APs may still be blocked, as they are in the summer, try looking at the DL AP blockout calendar. And the weather varies from really hot in the day (but not humid) to nice and in the low 80s. Either way, it is cooler at night and really nice. I will be there later in August for the Expo.

They have announced a system for SWGE. They will limit access to the land during the day, if necessary. And re-open it to guests as crowd levels decrease. On the app I think you will be able to monitor this and perhaps request to get a text when you can enter? They also have MaxPass which is wonderful and worth the price, especially if you start out in the early morning.
Thank you! Did I read somewhere that there will not be any Fastpass nor Maxpass for SWGE this summer, though?

Thank you! Did I read somewhere that there will not be any Fastpass nor Maxpass for SWGE this summer, though?
Correct, MFSR is not on the FP system now and there has been no announcement about when it will be added to the system. l
Regarding entering SWGE after the reservation system ends, this is from the June Check In thread:

HOW TO GET INTO STAR WARS GALAXYS EDGE FROM JUNE 24
  1. Star Wars Galaxys Edge will open to ALL guests at general park opening hours
  2. Once capacity has been reached, Disney will open the virtual queuing system
  3. There are 2 ways to access the virtual queuing system A. By using the Disneyland App B. By using a Fastpass kiosk and obtaining a paper Boarding Group ticket
  4. You will be assigned a Boarding Group with a specific time to enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge
  5. When you Boarding Time opens you will be alerted through the APP
  6. If you are not using the APP and have obtained a paper Boarding Group ticket , you will need to check the Digital Display Monitors to see when your Boarding Group opens. There will be no return time on the paper Boarding Group ticket
  7. Once your Boarding Group opens, you will have 2 hours to check into Star Wars Galaxys Edge. This means that if you get an alert that your Boarding Group can enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge, and you are in line at Radiator Springs Racers in California Adventures, you can still ride Radiator Springs Racers. You will have plenty of time to get back to Star Wars Galaxys Edge.
  8. Once inside Star Wars Galaxys Edge, there will be no time limit on how long you can stay.

Correct, MFSR is not on the FP system now and there has been no announcement about when it will be added to the system. l
Regarding entering SWGE after the reservation system ends, this is from the June Check In thread:

HOW TO GET INTO STAR WARS GALAXYS EDGE FROM JUNE 24
  1. Star Wars Galaxys Edge will open to ALL guests at general park opening hours
  2. Once capacity has been reached, Disney will open the virtual queuing system
  3. There are 2 ways to access the virtual queuing system A. By using the Disneyland App B. By using a Fastpass kiosk and obtaining a paper Boarding Group ticket
  4. You will be assigned a Boarding Group with a specific time to enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge
  5. When you Boarding Time opens you will be alerted through the APP
  6. If you are not using the APP and have obtained a paper Boarding Group ticket , you will need to check the Digital Display Monitors to see when your Boarding Group opens. There will be no return time on the paper Boarding Group ticket
  7. Once your Boarding Group opens, you will have 2 hours to check into Star Wars Galaxys Edge. This means that if you get an alert that your Boarding Group can enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge, and you are in line at Radiator Springs Racers in California Adventures, you can still ride Radiator Springs Racers. You will have plenty of time to get back to Star Wars Galaxys Edge.
  8. Once inside Star Wars Galaxys Edge, there will be no time limit on how long you can stay.
Thank you!

I would get a one day PH and if you don’t like that day don’t go back, but if you do like that day then upgrade your ticket at the ticket booth to a 3 day before the park closes on day 1.

Can you upgrade this one day to a two day, same scenario as you noted above.

One warning ---- CHOC Walk the park is in the early morning hours of August 11. A lot of the families that walk leave after the walk, but many do stay as Disney offers some great ticket prices for families that walk. The park will open a little later that morning, and it tends to be a bit of chaos overall that day.

One warning ---- CHOC Walk the park is in the early morning hours of August 11. A lot of the families that walk leave after the walk, but many do stay as Disney offers some great ticket prices for families that walk. The park will open a little later that morning, and it tends to be a bit of chaos overall that day.
Yes indeed. I'm a morning person and always arrive at the park early when it's easy to get in the parking lot, through security, etc. There's very little hope of that on CW days, FYI.

Any idea on how DLR will be handling SWGE attendance after the reservation time ends?

We are people who never, ever do DLR in the summer or on school breaks. We don't like hot weather or huge crowds. BUT . . . our daughter just decided that instead of going to a local college, she is going to a college in Southern CA, and we are going to drive her there in mid-August. I managed to find a DVC room at the Grand Californian for 3 nights, so we will be staying on property, but we aren't sure if we want to do the parks on a mid-August weekend. I know that SWGE opening and being off the reservation system is going to impact attendance patterns, but what are August weekends typically like? Trying to decide if it is worth spending the $ on tickets or not. Thanks!
realize too that it is all still fluid. When they see that something isn't working, they will change it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter