Swan Resort Fee-Internet Question

plutosmyfav

<font color=deeppink>Has high hopes, high apple pi
The description of the Resort fee says that it includes internet connection. Is that a LAN connection, or a data port (phone) connection. Does anyone know what they mean by internet connection.

Thanks
PlutosMyFav

I was just about to ask this same question! Could anyone give details?

Kelly

Definitely have data-ports on the phones.
I also read that there is now a high-speed internet connection available.

Not sure what is required for the high speed (I am not a techie, by any means), but, my DH tells me I will need some sort of inepensive card for my laptop to connect to the high speed

It includes the fast access connection...it was already installed when we were there this past spring.

Very nice..only my old laptop didn't have the card inside necessary to use it, so I was stuck with the regular old dial up.

Let me say that I am not computer literate, so sorry for the description ...

At the Dolphin in June they had this little box thing on the desk (it looks kind of like a digital camera card reader that you plug into your computer.) The box had a jack like a phone jack, except it was bigger than a typical phone jack. My laptop had the special cord with the bigger phone type jack with it. The laptop also had the special card that was necessary to use the high speed connection. (ethernet card/cable????)

I tested the laptop at home. We have cable access and I just plugged the laptop in at home to see if it would work and it DID!

I loved the high speed access at the Dolphin. We looked up menus on wdwig.com while we were there to decide where we wanted to go.

Maggie

Originally posted by maggiew
Let me say that I am not computer literate, so sorry for the description ...

Maggie

Thanks, Maggie, that was a perfectly good description. I have an ethernet card in my laptop, too. I was debating whether or not to lug it down this time, but my mind is made up now! High speed internet will be a great bonus.

I am slightly confused. My laptop has the necessary ethernet card which is where the larger jack gets plugged in. But I use DSL at home and I have specific software on the pc that I use to connect to my service provider. Just because an ethernet cord can plug into my pc, how do I know that I will be able to connect to my service provider using the access at the hotel? Does anyone know what service provider is used with the high speed connection in the hotel? At least with dial up, you dial the number of the service provider and connect. But with DSL, I don't dial a number, I just connect. I am just not sure how this will work?:confused:

Do you have remote webmail access from your service provider?

I have RCN cable modem service (ethernet connection) at home, but I can access my email via "web mail" by opening Netscape or Explorer and going to the RCN website. Its not the same as being at home, only the mail that is on the server is available (archived mail on my pc at home doesn't appear).

I'm guessing all you need is your ethernet card, cord and Netscape or Explorer on your laptop and your good to go.

Yes, I can access my e-mail from the web. I was just sort of wondering about the high speed connection. Just seems like it would only work if their provider was my provider.

I didn't use it myself during our stay at the Swan, but my understanding is that all you need is a browser (I suspect only Netscape or MS IE will work). Why you don't need software to tell it your provider is not clear - but I know when my ISP at home change from AT&T to Comcast, I didn't need to do a software change - the modem somehow "knew".

Wish I could help more - I know some of the S/D "sorority sisters" have used the connection - maybe they can help more.

I didn't use it but I know dreamflight99 does post from the Dolphin. I believe I read that once you plug in via a cord or needing an ethernet card you get the S/D home page and go from there.

Hopefully, dreamflight or ozziewags will see this and answer you.

I wondered the same thing before our trip last June!

You plug in per previous description and log onto their webpage. From there you go anywhere you want! It is just that simple! I posted every day from our hotel room. I loved being able to post our trip on a day by day to the Swan/Dolphin board!

Hope this helps everyone!
Debbie

Does anyone know how the phone jack connection works? I'm used to the Ethernet connection here at home but the laptop we'll have with us doesn't have the ethernet card. Will I need a local access number and an account with an ISP to use the phone connection?

Kelly

For dial up you will need an ISP. Also a local number. I look from home before getting to Orlando. Also you will need to see what the charge is for a local call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter