SW If you want to sit with your kids

Yep, that is what the flight attendant said when I sat in a “saved” seat. Southwest has open seating. Anyone can sit anywhere. There are no saved seats.

I just wish the flight attendants would repeat about 300 times, there is no seat saving.

Last trip, our flight was delayed about an hour, then all of a sudden, it arrived, people left and within mins we were boarding. No time for last min bathroom break. We boarded with EBCI. DGS 5 mins later, had to go potty. DDIL took him to the bathroom in the back of the plane. DS was asked about 20 times about sitting in those "empty seats". So people are asking, not just seeing a jacket as if it was a saved seat and moving on.

I just wish the flight attendants would repeat about 300 times, there is no seat saving.

Last trip, our flight was delayed about an hour, then all of a sudden, it arrived, people left and within mins we were boarding. No time for last min bathroom break. We boarded with EBCI. DGS 5 mins later, had to go potty. DDIL took him to the bathroom in the back of the plane. DS was asked about 20 times about sitting in those "empty seats". So people are asking, not just seeing a jacket as if it was a saved seat and moving on.

I don't consider that saved seats. They are claimed and the person is in the bathroom. That is what I would have told people. Most understand that.

I don't consider that saved seats. They are claimed and the person is in the bathroom. That is what I would have told people. Most understand that.

Neither do I. I was just saying people aren't just assuming the seat is taken and not saved. I think a lot of people see an object and keep looking.

This is why I won’t fly SW at all. I’ll pay more on another airline for guaranteed seats with my kids. Not worth the stress IMHO, no way. SW, the cattle call airline, is what my travel agent called it once LOL! If you are solo I guess it might be a good idea but as a party of 5 I don’t think so.

This - in every way. Plus maybe its the time of year we fly, but SW hasn't been THAT much cheaper than United.

We fly SW out of a small airport and they are the only non stop flight to MCO. Totally agree with others that they need to enforce the family boarding. I have flown with them about a dozen times and have never seen them enforce the limit of family members. I have gone from early B boarding to having almost no seats left. Also we are seeing more and more seat savers. Last trip I heard a lot of people complaining they paid for EBCI and they had difficulty finding seats together.

I run into the saved seat issue a lot--but from a different perspective. For years I have flown Southwest and bought an extra seat as I am a plus size gal. I am given a boarding pass size card that says "seat reserved." I take a window seat and lay the card on the middle seat. Every flight someone tries to sit in the middle and I tell them it is taken. Sometimes I get flak for it, with the would-be sitter saying, "there is no seat saving". I tell them I bought the seat and to speak to the FA if necessary.
I often try to share the wealth, so to speak, since I now have two under seat spaces to use. Once saw a guy traveling with a pet, and I told him to look for me and sit in the aisle seat and he could use the space under the middle seat for his dog. He was pre-board as well, so it worked out perfectly. Usually though, I get an A-listed business traveler who grabs the aisle and then I mention to him that he can use the middle space for his bag as no one will sit in the middle seat--boy does that get me a free drink or two!

Usually though, I get an A-listed business traveler who grabs the aisle and then I mention to him that he can use the middle space for his bag as no one will sit in the middle seat--boy does that get me a free drink or two!
Truth now. Are you really a considerate, prepared customer of size - or are you a lush?:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I don't know how you can know what your worst boarding position will be

Easy. Don't allow EBCI for ALL seats. Limit the # of EBCI seats sold instead of the entire plane. What is the benefit of paying $25 per person only to find out I have a C boarding? Yes, that happened to me and others. Do feel it's worth it to pay EBCI no matter what your boarding pass will be?

Easy. Don't allow EBCI for ALL seats. Limit the # of EBCI seats sold instead of the entire plane. What is the benefit of paying $25 per person only to find out I have a C boarding? Yes, that happened to me and others. Do feel it's worth it to pay EBCI no matter what your boarding pass will be?

Wow- C???

Yeah I would think they could just say 60 or so per flight. But I guess as long as they warned you it might not be an A spot, they'll say you have nothing to complain about.

If you got a C with EBCI I'm guessing it's random glitches. If you can confirm without a doubt that 105 passengers before you also purchased EBCI OR were A-listers and it was a repeated instance that is different than randomly getting C. I got C one time checking in right at 24hours with other people in my traveling group (though not on the same reservation as me) also do 24 hours. I know it was a glitch that time. I've never had it happen since or before that instance.

EBCI was never intended to be connected to a Boarding Group (ABC). Somewhere along the lines that kinda got lost. People expected to get A's. All EBCI was intended to do was check you in 36 hours prior to your flight to assign you a Boarding Position rather than you doing it yourself and at 24 hours. By that very nature it put you ahead of passengers who didn't have automatic check in at 36 hours.

I must have said it on another thread but here's the order for SWA Boarding Algorithm:
  1. A1-15 are only for those with Business Select fares purchased or Upgraded Boarding purchased (which is done at the gate and subject to availability)
  2. After that is A-list Preferred
  3. After that is A-list
  4. After that is Anytime Fares purchased with EBCI in the order in which EBCI was purchased
  5. After that is Wanna Get Away Fares purchased with EBCI in the order in which EBCI was purchased
  6. Companion Pass is in there somewhere along with passengers with Anytimes Fares and Wanna Get Away fares without EBCI which is determined by the passenger checking in at 24 hours prior to their flight.
What I did mention in a subsequent comment in this thread to another poster was you could limit it to 15 seats just like Business Select is. You have to take into consideration that in terms of priority A-listers (both preferred and standard) have it over EBCI. So you still won't be guaranteed an A Boarding.

I also had this happen once. The odd thing was that the other 3 family members who had EBCI purchased at the same time had A numbers. Since I had EBCI I didn't worry about checking in right at T-24. By the time I checked in, I was a high C. I contacted SWA to determine that they had someone used my return EBCI for my original flight, leaving it ineligible for the return flight. I was able to get it refunded, and my DH and DD just went to the back of the plane and sat in side by side aisle seats. Luckily one of the middle seats was still available.

If you got a C with EBCI I'm guessing it's random glitches. If you can confirm without a doubt that 105 passengers before you also purchased EBCI OR were A-listers and it was a repeated instance that is different than randomly getting C. I got C one time checking in right at 24hours with other people in my traveling group (though not on the same reservation as me) also do 24 hours. I know it was a glitch that time. I've never had it happen since or before that instance.

EBCI was never intended to be connected to a Boarding Group (ABC). Somewhere along the lines that kinda got lost. People expected to get A's. All EBCI was intended to do was check you in 36 hours prior to your flight to assign you a Boarding Position rather than you doing it yourself and at 24 hours. By that very nature it put you ahead of passengers who didn't have automatic check in at 36 hours.

I must have said it on another thread but here's the order for SWA Boarding Algorithm:
  1. A1-15 are only for those with Business Select fares purchased or Upgraded Boarding purchased (which is done at the gate and subject to availability)
  2. After that is A-list Preferred
  3. After that is A-list
  4. After that is Anytime Fares purchased with EBCI in the order in which EBCI was purchased
  5. After that is Wanna Get Away Fares purchased with EBCI in the order in which EBCI was purchased
  6. Companion Pass is in there somewhere along with passengers with Anytimes Fares and Wanna Get Away fares without EBCI which is determined by the passenger checking in at 24 hours prior to their flight.
What I did mention in a subsequent comment in this thread to another poster was you could limit it to 15 seats just like Business Select is. You have to take into consideration that in terms of priority A-listers (both preferred and standard) have it over EBCI. So you still won't be guaranteed an A Boarding.

I think there is a basis algorithm, but at one time, my DH and I had bought purchased SWA tickets with points to MCO to go on a DVC member cruise and bought EBCI at the time of purchase. DD decided to come also about two months later, and we paid cash for her Wanna Get Away ticket, with EBCI. DD got A2x and DH and I were A5x. Not sure if cash tickets come before RR points, but she was 30 numbers ahead of us.

I also had this happen once. The odd thing was that the other 3 family members who had EBCI purchased at the same time had A numbers. Since I had EBCI I didn't worry about checking in right at T-24. By the time I checked in, I was a high C. I contacted SWA to determine that they had someone used my return EBCI for my original flight, leaving it ineligible for the return flight. I was able to get it refunded, and my DH and DD just went to the back of the plane and sat in side by side aisle seats. Luckily one of the middle seats was still available.
Yeah as described that would be a glitch. Glad you got it refunded though :)

I think there is a basis algorithm, but at one time, my DH and I had bought purchased SWA tickets with points to MCO to go on a DVC member cruise and bought EBCI at the time of purchase. DD decided to come also about two months later, and we paid cash for her Wanna Get Away ticket, with EBCI. DD got A2x and DH and I were A5x. Not sure if cash tickets come before RR points, but she was 30 numbers ahead of us.
I remember you talking about that a while back. Couldn't tell you on that part for sure. I haven't done points and EBCI together personally. It wouldn't surprise me if points (reward flights) were given less priority than flying on a paid ticket I just don't know if that's how it works as the norm.

After reading this thread, I have come to realize that everyone has different priorities when traveling. To each his/her own. As someone who has not flown in 15 years prior to April 11th, I was surprised to read about the way SW and some other airlines are now. I remember fondly how flying used to be. Clearly things have changed.

For me and my family, comfort is important. We are very tall and have long legs. We need leg room. Being comfortable is a huge part of being on vacation.

We just returned from our incredible trip to Arizona and California with one week in Disneyland.

We got a great deal on First Class seats on American Airlines back in September. We sat in very comfortable seats with lots of legroom, just like we wanted. The food and cocktails were sublime. It was worth every penny.

This is how we will travel going forward.

shh... once the "seat savers" learn that, they won't say the seat is saved, they'll just say they're in the bathroom. Who's going to call them on it?

EBCI was never intended to be connected to a Boarding Group (ABC). Somewhere along the lines that kinda got lost. People expected to get A's. All EBCI was intended to do was check you in 36 hours prior to your flight to assign you a Boarding Position rather than you doing it yourself and at 24 hours.

Post "liked", but this information can't be repeated too much.

SWA’s typical response to complaint re seat saving almost veers into passive aggressive territory. Perhaps they don’t realize being “inconvenienced” is subjective and the definition of “any open or unclaimed seat” is also vague at best.

They need to Quit worry about public relations and take a stand/release a clear cut policy. However, they do have their hands rather full at this point:rolleyes1

“As you probably know, all flights on Southwest are “open-seating,” and Customers are free to take any available seat onboard the aircraft.

In light of this, it is not uncommon for a Customer to want to reserve a seat (or seats) for a friend, family member, or associate who will be boarding behind them.

Truthfully, we don’t have a policy either way–for or against–saving seats.

In fact, we share our perspective on this issue on southwest.com as follows: “because Southwest Airlines maintains an open-seating policy, general-boarding Customers may sit in any open or unclaimed seat.”

With this in mind, as long as there is no Safety concern, it would be acceptable for a Customer to “claim” a seat for his/her family member or traveling companion who may be in a later boarding group.

We are aware that the saving of seats is a by-product of our policy, and as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren’t inconvenienced, it usually isn’t a significant issue.

Again, we appreciate your contacting us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard a Southwest flight soon.

Sincerely,

XXXXX, Southwest Airlines”

Ok.....I'm not sure what everyone is missing here. EBCI is Early Bird CHECK IN!! Not Early Board Boarding. You pay for EBCI in order to get checked in, automatically, at the 36 hr window, vs the 24 hr window. Doing this will most likely get you a better boarding slot than those who don't buy EBCI.
Now...SW really needs to do a better job with Family Boarding. Immediate family only. Mom, Dad, kids. I'm sorry if you booked late and paid for EBCI, but end up in a late B slot. But, EBCI spots are based on when you book, and the fare you booked with.
Not every airline is going to meet every person's needs. If you don't like the way SW boards, then choose a different airline that suits you better.
Seat savers? Yes, there are always a few. But I've never really been impacted by one. There was the one time that I boarded in A5 with very few medical preboards. I think I was probably the 10th person on the plane. Sat in row 3, window seat. I sat and watched as various people boarded, taking the aisle and window seats. Now, many of these people seemed to know each other....so they were hoping to have that middle seat left empty. Well....the flight attendant made the announcement that there were no empty seats on that flight!!! You should have seen the panic and chaos as 6 rows of people all changed seats!!! Seems it was all one family!!! They ended up taking just three rows total vs the six they had tried to get.

My parents flew into MCO on a Full SW flight on Easter. The flight attendant’s announcement as folks were boarding in the later groups was “This is a full flight, please grab the first open seat you see. If there is a sweater or purse there those folks are saving that seat for YOU! Please take it.”

Ok.....I'm not sure what everyone is missing here. EBCI is Early Bird CHECK IN!! Not Early Board Boarding. You pay for EBCI in order to get checked in, automatically, at the 36 hr window, vs the 24 hr window. Doing this will most likely get you a better boarding slot than those who don't buy EBCI.
Now...SW really needs to do a better job with Family Boarding. Immediate family only. Mom, Dad, kids. I'm sorry if you booked late and paid for EBCI, but end up in a late B slot. But, EBCI spots are based on when you book, and the fare you booked with.
Not every airline is going to meet every person's needs. If you don't like the way SW boards, then choose a different airline that suits you better.
Seat savers? Yes, there are always a few. But I've never really been impacted by one. There was the one time that I boarded in A5 with very few medical preboards. I think I was probably the 10th person on the plane. Sat in row 3, window seat. I sat and watched as various people boarded, taking the aisle and window seats. Now, many of these people seemed to know each other....so they were hoping to have that middle seat left empty. Well....the flight attendant made the announcement that there were no empty seats on that flight!!! You should have seen the panic and chaos as 6 rows of people all changed seats!!! Seems it was all one family!!! They ended up taking just three rows total vs the six they had tried to get.
I think spreading out trying to end up with an empty middle seat is fine. It's not like they blocked those middle seats from anyone sitting there.

SWA’s typical response to complaint re seat saving almost veers into passive aggressive territory. Perhaps they don’t realize being “inconvenienced” is subjective and the definition of “any open or unclaimed seat” is also vague at best.

They need to Quit worry about public relations and take a stand/release a clear cut policy. However, they do have their hands rather full at this point:rolleyes1

“As you probably know, all flights on Southwest are “open-seating,” and Customers are free to take any available seat onboard the aircraft.

In light of this, it is not uncommon for a Customer to want to reserve a seat (or seats) for a friend, family member, or associate who will be boarding behind them.

Truthfully, we don’t have a policy either way–for or against–saving seats.

In fact, we share our perspective on this issue on southwest.com as follows: “because Southwest Airlines maintains an open-seating policy, general-boarding Customers may sit in any open or unclaimed seat.”

With this in mind, as long as there is no Safety concern, it would be acceptable for a Customer to “claim” a seat for his/her family member or traveling companion who may be in a later boarding group.

We are aware that the saving of seats is a by-product of our policy, and as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren’t inconvenienced, it usually isn’t a significant issue.

Again, we appreciate your contacting us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard a Southwest flight soon.

Sincerely,

XXXXX, Southwest Airlines”
Sounds like the wishy washy sort of answer people get from Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter