Surprise AP & Ticket Increase

The crowds won't be less with this. Those taking a break are small potatoes. There will always be someone to replace them.

I don't understand what is meant by "someone to replace them." Are you suggesting that price increases attract some fans that wouldn't have otherwise come to Disneyland? There is no replacing going on. If a price increase causes 1 fan to come less often that decreases attendance by that 1 fan. Yes, new fans might come, but if they're willing to come at increased prices, they certainly would have come at the previously lower prices as well.

Attendance hasn't increased because of higher prices. Disney does not defy economic logic, they are just very good at what they do. Attendance has increased because of economic conditions, demographics (world population grows every year), great parks & attractions, etc. Unless the economy crashes, the only way to control attendance in the short term is to raise prices. Crowds would have been even worse over the past couple of years had they not raised prices.

Just a quick note about your title - Most ticket prices went up by 7-9%. Annual Passes went up about 10% for deluxe and below. Signatures went up 14-18%. Yes, parking went up 25%.
Maxpass went up by 50%!

No, it doesn’t. The elasticity in demand for their product may be stronger than other products, but everyone has a breaking point. I personally know people that haven’t been to Disneyland in years, not because they don’t want to but because it is too espensive for what they wish to pay.

See my other comment also: no one is claiming the price increases will lower crowds from their levels. The point is that without increases attendance would be even higher.

I don't understand what is meant by "someone to replace them." Are you suggesting that price increases attract some fans that wouldn't have otherwise come to Disneyland? There is no replacing going on. If a price increase causes 1 fan to come less often that decreases attendance by that 1 fan. Yes, new fans might come, but if they're willing to come at increased prices, they certainly would have come at the previously lower prices as well.

Attendance hasn't increased because of higher prices. Disney does not defy economic logic, they are just very good at what they do. Attendance has increased because of economic conditions, demographics (world population grows every year), great parks & attractions, etc. Unless the economy crashes, the only way to control attendance in the short term is to raise prices. Crowds would have been even worse over the past couple of years had they not raised prices.

Attendance has increased, though. This came up the last time we had a huge increase/change. Many thought then too it would reduce demand. It didn't. And it's only going to get worse. I'm not priced out in that I can't afford it. But I'm choosing not to because with the current offerings and the additional expenditures I have, I don't find value anymore at this time. I'm doing what I've always suggested others do: put their money where their mouth is. But I'm also perfectly aware in the grand scheme I am one person and I don't even go during the summer. I don't make much of a difference.

Believe what y'all want. But there is zero way to convince me this idea has any large part to do with crowd reduction when that is the last thing Disney wants. Disney is looking to capitalize on demand. I'm not faulting them for it. They're a business. And as a consumer I decide what, if any, money I give them.

I honestly DO NOT get how the payment plan is a deal??? The Sig Plus would be 500 a month for my family, to go 3 times a year, hotel, food etc? Seriously where are people getting all this money?

It's a deal for locals who can go anytime. We have Signature passes (family of 4). I go every week, on average. My husband and kids go twice a month on average, more in summer. We put a chunk down on the payment plan and used our Disney Visa and Chase Sapphire Visa rewards dollars to cover that. Our monthly cost is $250, which is about the same as going to the movies or bowling weekly (which we don't do, so this is basically our entertainment budget).

The payment plan isn't a necessity for us, but it's an interest free loan, so we use it and let our money earn interest rather than paying for the passes up front.

Now comes the real question.... HOW much will the paid events for SW be? $250? 500?

My personal opinion is it's not always the Ap's that are the problems super crowded days. They usually know when and where to be to avoid things, it's first time tourists.

Now comes the real question.... HOW much will the paid events for SW be? $250? 500?
My guess? $500-1000.

My personal opinion is it's not always the Ap's that are the problems super crowded days. They usually know when and where to be to avoid things, it's first time tourists.
That is one of my issues during the Christmas vacation weeks. We call it "Newbie Weeks"... But makes people watching interesting.... My favorite this trip? A group of 4 (thinking mom and 3 teen daughters) stopping in the walkway at the turn by Coke Corner and Jolly Holiday to take group pics. Yes, blocking the entire walkway. Traffic has come to a dead stop. One of the daughters comments "I think we are blocking the walkway", to which the mom says "I don't care, we need these pics"... To which I responded "Excuse me, I do care, and we would like to come thru...." They did move then.

Because they haven't reduced crowds. Crowds have only increased even with those who have stopped going with every increase.
Seems like crowds have decreased. Why else would Disneyland be offering their ticket special and WDW is offering free dining (in the Summer!) right before their respective Galaxy's Edge lands open? Maybe crowds are down because everyone is holding out for SWGE but maybe they aren't. Only time will tell.

My guess? $500-1000.

That is one of my issues during the Christmas vacation weeks. We call it "Newbie Weeks"... But makes people watching interesting.... My favorite this trip? A group of 4 (thinking mom and 3 teen daughters) stopping in the walkway at the turn by Coke Corner and Jolly Holiday to take group pics. Yes, blocking the entire walkway. Traffic has come to a dead stop. One of the daughters comments "I think we are blocking the walkway", to which the mom says "I don't care, we need these pics"... To which I responded "Excuse me, I do care, and we would like to come thru...." They did move then.
Saw this happen multiple times over the summer. Of all the rude guest behavior around the parks, this is what frustrates me the most.

Seems like crowds have decreased. Why else would Disneyland be offering their ticket special and WDW is offering free dining (in the Summer!) right before their respective Galaxy's Edge lands open? Maybe crowds are down because everyone is holding out for SWGE but maybe they aren't. Only time will tell.
That's what I think. People are probably holding out and saving up for the summer months when kids are out of school, and vacations are easier to take.

I don't think they are offering these promos because crowds are down. I think they are pre-emptive means to try and balance crowds for SWGE opening. If they can lure visitors to make a trip now before SWGE those same visitors will still come back to see SWGE but they may wait 6mo-1yr before doing so. Double win for Disney.

I don't think they are offering these promos because crowds are down. I think they are pre-emptive means to try and balance crowds for SWGE opening. If they can lure visitors to make a trip now before SWGE those same visitors will still come back to see SWGE but they may wait 6mo-1yr before doing so. Double win for Disney.
This too. I think there are many people who are holding out going in the summer. But there are also a ton who are avoiding DL completely. Having tickets deals may make people rethink, and go instead. I know my friends who don't have AP's are for sure going to get the SoCal deal b/c they are planning on that being their last DL trip prior to SWGE taking over the parks. If that ticket deal didn't happen this year, they said they wouldn't have gone at all.

Just my opinion, I can't see Disney from a business standpoint offering deals to decrease (potential) future business. No one knows for sure why they choose to run promotions or increase prices.

YES!!! I have said things like this many times. Usually by Big Thunder and in my nicest voice. I get being new, I don't get unprepared or rude.[/QUOTE]

WOW!!! 1000!!!! I was thinking $500 was barely reasonable. Especially if it is only for a few hours..

Just my opinion, I can't see Disney from a business standpoint offering deals to decrease (potential) future business. No one knows for sure why they choose to run promotions or increase prices.

They're not. They know the vast majority of those guests will come back to see SWGE. But if they can squeeze a "pre SWGE" visit out of them by offering ticket promos etc. that's a double win for Disney. Now that guest is making TWO trips AND they will likely come back to see SWGE later than they might have without the promo induced trip, keeping guest attendance levels higher for longer.

Does anyone know if the PROMO 5 day Parkhoppers from UT can be used with an upgrade to an annual pass? I understand I might not get any pixie dust with the cost savings when upgrading , but thought it would be worth a try.

Does anyone know if the PROMO 5 day Parkhoppers can be used with an upgrade to an annual pass? I understand I might not get any pixie dust with the cost savings when upgrading , but thought it would be worth a try.
Yes, as long as it’s not comped ticket media or charity tickets it can be upgraded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter