Sure Glad We Got to Use FastPass Instead of FP+

BridgetBordeaux

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a week long trip that started the day after Memorial Day. We are a rope drop family and used a.m. EMH on 4 mornings. We were able to ride many of the rides with little or no wait from opening until about noon each day either because it was early in the day or because we had a FP. We continued touring in the afternoon with somewhat longer waits and we also took in some shows. We would get a "final" FP when we left the park in the afternoon and then return hours later to use the FP (generally the return times posted at 2-4 pm were for 6-7pm return times).

Why do I bring this all up?

Because each day we typically pulled between 5 and 7 FastPasses. If we were only able to schedule 3 FP+ times for a single day, we would be very frustrated and cranky! Standing in long lines in the summer heat is no fun.

The FP+ "contract" says that once you adopt FP+, that you can not use the legacy FP system. We plan on sticking with the legacy system as long as possible.

As an unrelated comment-- we made sure all the people in our group had the RFID tickets. The tickets worked well and I do think it was quicker than the old magnetic style that was used in a mechanical turnstiles. We also liked the RFID door keys. They made it much easier to open a door when you had a bunch of stuff in your hands. The biggest "negative" surprise was that Disney can not put a Waterpark AP and a Major Land Park AP on the same RFID media. We were told "we are still working on that".

We just returned from a week long trip that started the day after Memorial Day. We are a rope drop family and used a.m. EMH on 4 mornings. We were able to ride many of the rides with little or no wait from opening until about noon each day either because it was early in the day or because we had a FP. We continued touring in the afternoon with somewhat longer waits and we also took in some shows. We would get a "final" FP when we left the park in the afternoon and then return hours later to use the FP (generally the return times posted at 2-4 pm were for 6-7pm return times).

Because each day we typically pulled between 5 and 7 FastPasses. If we were only able to schedule 3 FP+ times for a single day, we would be very frustrated and cranky! Standing in long lines in the summer heat is no fun.

The FP+ "contract" says that once you adopt FP+, that you can not use the legacy FP system. We plan on sticking with the legacy system as long as possible.

As an unrelated comment-- we made sure all the people in our group had the RFID tickets. The tickets worked well and I do think it was quicker than the old magnetic style that was used in a mechanical turnstiles. We also liked the RFID door keys. They made it much easier to open a door when you had a bunch of stuff in your hands. The biggest "negative" surprise was that Disney can not put a Waterpark AP and a Major Land Park AP on the same RFID media. We were told "we are still working on that".

Yep, that is a basic concern for many of us. We'll just have to see if we'll be able to get additional ones day-of, and if they're useful FPs or chump FPs.

As for RFID, I was there a week or so before you and some in my party had mag-stripe tickets (me, DW, DD) and some in my party had RFID tickets (in-laws). We split into our assigned turnstyle lines at the same time and beat them through easily each time. Mileage may vary, as they say. :goodvibes

Wait, I thought you could use both scheduled FastPass+ stuff as well as pulling regular FastPasses at the same time?

Wait, I thought you could use both scheduled FastPass+ stuff as well as pulling regular FastPasses at the same time?

At first, that may be the case. But I believe most indications are that "regular" FP is going away in the long-term.

We tour the same way; up early, early, early. We like to hit a morning EMH park, take a break in the afternoon and then park hop to another park for night touring.

FP+ would not work very well for our family, as 3FP's for one park per day will not be very helpful. We can use 4 FP's at MK in the AM and then several more at night at DS.

Wouldn't it be nice if we can "schedule" 3 FP and then pick up more FP as normally do?

The biggest "negative" surprise was that Disney can not put a Waterpark AP and a Major Land Park AP on the same RFID media. We were told "we are still working on that".

What do you mean by this? When I was just there I converted to an RFID Premium Annual Pass which has Major and Minor parks on it. Or were you trying to merge two passes?

This is exactly how we spend our time at WDW and what I am very worried about. There is a thread about the recent price increase and when people would feel priced out of Disney, but this is what may do it for me. I would not spend all that money to travel to Florida and visit WDW if the FP system changed like this.

Not being able to use paper fast passes with FP+ doesn't necessarily foreclose being able to get additional electronic fast passes. We just don't know. I think there might be a way or park hoppers are at a big disadvantage. But who knows.

This is exactly how we spend our time at WDW and what I am very worried about. There is a thread about the recent price increase and when people would feel priced out of Disney, but this is what may do it for me. I would not spend all that money to travel to Florida and visit WDW if the FP system changed like this.

This. Exactly.

This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. And it would break my heart, for as long I've been going. Not to mention how much I looked forward to raising my son on WDW trips, the way I had been. The problem is, a lot of folks' perspective is that they'd adapt. Unless a lot of people back off going because of this, the big wigs won't get the message.:(

Nooooo! If you can only schedule 3 with FP+ and not pick up paper passes too, standby lines will get positively obscene :/

Nooooo! If you can only schedule 3 with FP+ and not pick up paper passes too, standby lines will get positively obscene :/

EXACTLY! Soarin' and TSM are bad enough as it is!

I don't know all the details of this FP+, but if what I'm hearing about it is true, I'm not gonna be all that excited. Regular FPs save our family's Disney trips! Limiting that to only three would be just like limiting how much fun we can have at the parks. :confused3

I wonder if they'd dare to charge for extra FP privileges? I would be livid, that's for sure.

I wonder if they'd dare to charge for extra FP privileges? I would be livid, that's for sure.

My opinion, yes, they will start charging for "extra" FPs beyond the three available with FP+. Maybe not right away, but in time. Too much unrealized revenue being left on the table. And lots of people will have no problem paying for it.

Jim

I have the same concerns too! Really worried this will impact my future wdw trips! I cant help but wonder if disney is anticipating the longer standby lines and that is why they are putting in interactive queues and all of the interactive games to do around the parks

It reminds me of what has happened with the dining plan, for example. Think back to when they first offered it and what was included, and compare that with what you get now. (not that it's not still plenty) So many of the good restaurants are now 2 TS credits, too. It's like everywhere else.....less for more $.

What I find the funniest about all of this. How did you all act when there were no fast passes..... You waited in line. You had too now everyone has become accustomed to FP so they throw a fit when something changes. The lines themselves can lead to some magical moments.

What I find the funniest about all of this. How did you all act when there were no fast passes..... You waited in line. You had too now everyone has become accustomed to FP so they throw a fit when something changes. The lines themselves can lead to some magical moments.

Back when there were no fastpasses, I wasn't paying $95 bucks to get in. Also, there used to be actual slow times of the year where you could go and wait 15 minutes for Space Mountain at noon on a Thursday and then walk on Jungle Cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter