Support Group - 10 lbs or less

Hi Karen! Thanks - it's our first trip so we are SO excited. I was never there as a child or anything, DH either, so it will be a fun trip filled with many firsts for all of us!

The training plan I've been following is sort of a blend of a couple plans, and I think I followed an intermediate plan since I was already running a 10K when I started the plan, and I started several weeks into it. This week will be the highest for miles - 12 is the most I'll do. The half I'm looking at is on 9/19. So, the week we get back from vacation I'll do a couple regular runs and 1 last long run, then I'll have 2 weeks to taper before the half and do one long-ish run the week before. If I can run on vacation I'll be okay, but if I don't I think I'll really be struggling to finish the long run...like last night. ;)

Congrats on your upcoming trip! Should be fun! Good luck on your 10K training!! :thumbsup2

I'm so excited FOR you guys!! I looked again at your PTR (I had clicked on it a long time ago). POP I hear is a good resort- we stay at Port Orleans Riverside everytime now (this sept will be something like 7 in a row there for us!). I'm 28 years old and I'm going on... I think 28 or 29 visits? :rotfl: I'll be running the Princess Half in Feb and going for a few days then, and after that who knows. My mom and I have been going on free dining in Sept since 2006. I want to take DF someday after we're married and before kids- he hasn't been since 1989 and doesn't understand my obsession :laughing:

I'm looking forward to hearing how your boys like it. I'm convinced I'm having only boys (my fiance's dad's fam has had NOTHING but boys and his mom had 3 so things aren't looking good for me). And if I do have only boys, I'd like to Disney brainwash as much as possible (if I can do it without DF noticing :laughing:).

I'm so excited FOR you guys!! I looked again at your PTR (I had clicked on it a long time ago). POP I hear is a good resort- we stay at Port Orleans Riverside everytime now (this sept will be something like 7 in a row there for us!). I'm 28 years old and I'm going on... I think 28 or 29 visits? :rotfl: I'll be running the Princess Half in Feb and going for a few days then, and after that who knows. My mom and I have been going on free dining in Sept since 2006. I want to take DF someday after we're married and before kids- he hasn't been since 1989 and doesn't understand my obsession :laughing:

I'm looking forward to hearing how your boys like it. I'm convinced I'm having only boys (my fiance's dad's fam has had NOTHING but boys and his mom had 3 so things aren't looking good for me). And if I do have only boys, I'd like to Disney brainwash as much as possible (if I can do it without DF noticing :laughing:).

Thanks Karen! I'm having the least productive day - on the DIS all day! We're excited and I'm just re-reading things I already know but want to be sure I know everything I need to!

I knew I'd only have boys too. My husband has 3 brothers, 1 sister. His dad had like 8 brothers and 1 sister. So far of Dan's brother's kids and ours, there is 1 girl, and there have now been 7 boys born in a row. I thought my first might be a girl but then had a boy, and knew my second would be a boy - just knew it with these family genes!

Disney with boys isn't too bad - you get Buzz and Woody, all the Cars craziness, Nemo, Up, all the kind of neutral movies. My kids won't go near a princess so we'll be skipping lots of characters on this trip. :laughing: My oldest wouldn't even watch Princess and the Frog - I thought he might like the animals and stuff, but was not interested AT ALL! They're both all boy - I always say unless it has 4 wheel drive or is covered in mud, they're not interested.

Wow, it's so quiet in here I can almost hear crickets! :lmao: I wasn't able to check in at all last week myself. Hope everyone is doing well!

I leave for Disneyland in 1 week! I'm so excited, I haven't been for a year! The Disneyland Half Marathon is a week from Sunday. I've been doing well on my running. Since I'm used to high-altitude here in the mountains I'm feeling pretty good about running at sea level. :thumbsup2 My Dad is running with me, not sure about my sister since she was sick for a lot of the summer and therefore not able to train much. But at least we'll all be at Disneyland together for a few days of fun! I can't wait to see Captain EO again!!! WOOOHOOOO!!

Is it too soon to start packing now??:laughing:

Wow, it's so quiet in here I can almost hear crickets! :lmao: I wasn't able to check in at all last week myself. Hope everyone is doing well!

I leave for Disneyland in 1 week! I'm so excited, I haven't been for a year! The Disneyland Half Marathon is a week from Sunday. I've been doing well on my running. Since I'm used to high-altitude here in the mountains I'm feeling pretty good about running at sea level. :thumbsup2 My Dad is running with me, not sure about my sister since she was sick for a lot of the summer and therefore not able to train much. But at least we'll all be at Disneyland together for a few days of fun! I can't wait to see Captain EO again!!! WOOOHOOOO!!

Is it too soon to start packing now??:laughing:

Hi Kolohe! Good Luck on the Disneyland Half!!! :thumbsup2 I'm sure you'll do great!!!

I'm back from our trip - it was wonderful! I didn't completely junk out on vacation although I did let myself go a bit, but tried to make some healthier choices and had a lot of salads, wraps, and sandwiches...only a couple of deep-fried meals! The desserts & snacks were the killer, had a lot of those. But I didn't run AT ALL for the last 10 days so I have to go out tonight and do a 4 miler and get myself back into it. I weighted myself this morning and I'm up 2 pounds, which I'm happy with, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. We walked and sweated so much, I think the constant drinking of tons of water helped a lot, there were a lot of times I never felt hungry since we were always drinking so much.

Looking forward to getting back into the running and exercising again, and eating normal again. Hope everyone is doing well and post soon!

Hi Kolohe! Good Luck on the Disneyland Half!!! :thumbsup2 I'm sure you'll do great!!!

I'm back from our trip - it was wonderful! I didn't completely junk out on vacation although I did let myself go a bit, but tried to make some healthier choices and had a lot of salads, wraps, and sandwiches...only a couple of deep-fried meals! The desserts & snacks were the killer, had a lot of those. But I didn't run AT ALL for the last 10 days so I have to go out tonight and do a 4 miler and get myself back into it. I weighted myself this morning and I'm up 2 pounds, which I'm happy with, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. We walked and sweated so much, I think the constant drinking of tons of water helped a lot, there were a lot of times I never felt hungry since we were always drinking so much.

Looking forward to getting back into the running and exercising again, and eating normal again. Hope everyone is doing well and post soon!

You're back already?! I hope my trip doesn't go by as fast as yours did for me :lmao:

2 pounds is great! All that walking makes a huge difference. I'm gearing up to try to make some healthy choices too, but I definitely plan on eating some snacks while I'm there! Can't live without schoolbread and I want to try those cupcakes at DHS. YUM :cloud9:

I had a good weekend but ate a LOT. We went camping/boating with some friends and had a lot of beer and chips and overall just crap. Then went to a fantasy football draft last night and had pizza. Argh. I'm up 2lbs this morning from the weekend.

I need to get into serious training again for my 10K coming up. Also am working on eating well this week! Next weekend will be the lake again... no drinking but DF's mom always makes tons of good (bad for you) food. Argh.

Thanks for the support, MMQ! :goodvibes

It's so hard to eat well on vacations, and Disney is for sure no exception. My family goes grocery shopping to have our own food instead of eating in the park much. Disney food is expensive!! Unfortunately, Hot Pockets and microwave burritos with chips and soda aren't any healthier than the hamburgers or pizza we'd get from the park. I'll have to mess up the routine and make sure we get some healthier options this time. That way I won't feel too bad about the churros and ice cream I love sooo very much :mickeybar

Any ideas for healthy (or at least semi-healthy) snacks that can be lugged around in a mini backpack? I'm not a big fan of nuts, except almonds. Gonna need something to keep from being tempted by the huge stash of candy and sugary granola bars my parents always bring to the parks.

Getting a taste of fall weather today. Woke up to a skiff of snow on the tips of the mountains, and only a high of 70 today. But summer's not done yet, forecast says back up to 90 by the weekend.

I like the little cans of lowfat yoghurt.

I need to get back on track. I'm now more than 10 pounds away from my goal! (I haven't moved my ticker up.)

Hi everyone!
My week was so-so. I didn't do much in terms of "dieting" but was down .5 when I weighed myself this morning. I went for my first run on Tuesday after almost 2 weeks off and it was brutal! I struggled the entire way, took lots of walking breaks and walked the last mile home....felt like a complete failure! My shins started hurting right away and I barely made it through the first mile. After that was lotf of walk breaks and I was only able to do about .5 mile stretches at a time. Plan to go out today for another attempt at a run and hope it goes better - it is very cool here today and no humidity so that might help.

Need to really start eating better - been way too much junk food lately. Today is DHs birthday so I think we're going out to dinner tonight. After that I really need to buckle back down and get back into a groove with running.

kolohe lady~ goodluck this weekend!! For snacks I usually rely on nuts or low sugar granola type bars (I'm a huge fan of the south beach ones- they're the only thing I can eat before a workout and not get cramps).

MMQ~ goodluck getting back on track. Don't worry about the running, it will come back to you- that happened to me after my June vacation. It was HORRIBLE for at least a week. Struggle struggle struggle. You'll get back to it though.

My week has been alright- splurged on Wednesday night after going out to dinner w/ DF and his bro. But oddly I'm down to the lowest I've been in like a year of weighing myself! I've been losing for a few weeks now and don't feel like I'm trying all that hard. I won't complain... it's just weird. I leave for Disney a week from tomorrow though with free dining so we'll see how long this keeps up :laughing: I started taking a beginner spin class on Thursdays and combining that with a short run- might try for a real hour long class soon!

Have a good weekend everyone!! Going to the lake again... need to work on being good about running up there and not eating a ton.

is kohole's half marathon tomorrow?

sorry it's early and i've just had one cup of coffee :teeth:

MMQ -- welcome home...don't fret too much..your body is already been tuned to your running and it will bounce back quickly! i'm proud of you for jumping right in after a vacation, that is hard i know!

karen -- update us on your weekend when you return! and have a fantastic trip!

things have been at a stand-still for me over the past couple weeks, been trying to workout 5 times a week, have usually gotten 4-5 times in. i had been able to stop the gaining cycle and hold steady for a couple weeks. this week i was thrilled I actually lost 2 lbs! i have far to go...BUT....i may have gotten a diagnosis. i saw and endocrinologist this past week and my cortisol level is high. cortisol, kind of like a natural steriod that makes one gain weight! A-HA! i have to complete 2 additional lab tests this coming week, and then wait a couple weeks for the results. after i have the tests done I'm going to ask if I can take any medication to help reduce the cortisol. thank you guys for the encouraging words...especially after my last PCP appt, just hearing your words to keep at it helped me keep my sanity and perservere

beautiful weather here in Ohio today!

Okay, I think I'm back. My knee is finally feeling good and I just finished taking a 6 week photography class at the local University. It was 5 days a week for 2 hours a day plus lots of outside time practicing. It was intense, but a ton of fun. Since it was photography, I'll now be able to take some awesome pictures at Disneyland in about two weeks!

kolohe_lady - Was the half Sunday or Monday? I'm sure you did awesome and we can't wait to hear about your experience!

ohMom - Yeah for the weight loss! It sounds like your diagnosis is going in the right direction! Good luck with the tests this week and let's hope you get the results back quickly and get some questions answered.

Hope everyone has a great week!

hello all!

Marathon training is kicking my butt!

I did get off my BC pill and I think I am dropping a couple pounds which is interesting. its been SO hard on the pill, I think it was making me eat more, too! so glad to be off of it!

I'm getting back on track. No booze or soft drinks for September, and I'm watching portion sizes.

I have been eyeing this thread for awhile now and just waiting to be at the 10 pound mark to join. I finally made it! :banana:

bellem04~ :welcome: and congrats on being close to your goal!!

heatherlynn~ Does that mean what I think it means?? Little baby runners in your (hopefully) near future??

steves1bear~ awesome job on the photography class. I took two at a local community college- 15 week courses. They were awesome. What do you shoot with? I have two new lenses for my Disney trip coming up on Saturday so I'm really psyched to get some new shots! :)

The weekend at the lake was good- gorgeous weather. Lots of bad for you food but I wasn't that bad until Sunday when I had some cake and mac and cheese- then Monday had some ice cream and chips. Doh. But I ran 4 miles on Saturday and played tennis Sunday. I'm still up 3.4lbs this morning but I'm hoping most of that is water weight. I'm trying for an outdoor run again tonight.

And I leave for Disney in 4 DAYS!!!!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Hi Everyone!

OhMom - so glad to hear they found something out of the ordinary - hope they can determine if that was the cause and hopefully get you a treatment plan than reduce that cortisol. :thumbsup2

Karen - Have a great trip! 4 days - you're so lucky! I miss WDW so much right now - I've been editing my pix and doing a TR and I'm still having dreams about Disney almost every night!!!

Steves1bear - glad your knee is feeling better! I'd love to take a photography class, I have a DSLR but don't know how to use it well. I should look into taking a class...

My week kind of fell apart last week, I've just been stressed, tired, and eating a lot to compensate. I haven't run since my one attempt last week - partially due to weather and partially due to lack of sleep. My son was diagnosed with pneumonia last week and I had 2 completely sleepless nights, one night I took him to the ER and we were there all night, and the next he was still having bad coughing attacks so I was up most of the night with him doing breathing treatments. It was also the first week of school last week (first day of preK for my other DS), and after just getting back from vacation I was completely out of my routine. All I've wanted to do it sleep, even yesterday I really could have gone out for a walk or run but was just SO tired all day long, I just didn't have the motivation to go.

So, I don't know where I'm at...I know what I need to do but have to get my motivation back. Today was the first day I wasn't completely exhausted all day, so I think tomorrow I will try to get out for a walk...attempt to run again. I think I'll feel better if I get out and go and can get back into some kind of routine.

I also think I'm a little depressed that I'm not doing that half in a couple weeks. At this point there is no way I could do it with now 3 weeks off from running...so I'm pretty disappointed in myself that I got so close and then let it slip away. Although there is another one in October I could think about if I get myself back into some distances again.

bellem04 - So glad you are joining the group!

MMQ - I'm sorry to hear about your DS having pneumonia. It's hard to watch kids going through such an illness. I hope he gets well quickly and you are able to regroup and get some good sleep first and then back into running habits. Don't be too hard on yourself about the half. It sounds like you have much more to worry about right now in taking care of yourself and your family. Sending hugs your way!

Karen - what lens are you taking to Disney? I've got the standard Canon 18-50 and 55-200 lenses, but would love a new one that could handle low light. Just not sure what would be best. I hope you have a great trip!

I highly recommend taking a photography class if given the chance. It was a great experience. I have a Canon XSi and thought I could figure things out on my own. Um, that was a wrong assumption. After taking the class, I feel a lot more comfortable with the controls and how to take more exciting pictures.

So far this week has been good. Two runs in two days. Here's crossing fingers this lasts the rest of the week.

So I'm still up from where I was- that's what I get for eating Chinese two nights in a row after the lake trip :headache: I always do this to myself- I make some progress then think I can cheat and just fall backwards!!

DF is leaving tonight for a family wedding that I'm missing because of DW (his cousin is getting married with two months notice! Sorry, Disney is more important :rotfl:). So I don't get to see him now for 10 days! Longest we've gone since we met. Makes me sad, but I'm glad I won't be eating crap for dinner the next two nights :rotfl:

My plan is to run at Disney- a few miles about 4 times. Crossing my fingers I'm diligent enough to do it!! It's cooling down here (80s) so I'm not looking forward to running in the heat again.

steves1bear~ I have a Canon XSi too! Some pics from our last trip are in my signature. I have the following lenses: 18-55 kit, 18-200mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Tokina 11-16mm, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro. Last year I used hte 18-200 as a walkaround lens, the 30mm for dark rides and lots of other fun stuff like merchandise (LOVE this lens). This year I'm using the 24-105 f/4L as a walkaround, bringing the 30 for dark rides and trying out my ultra wide angle Tokina. I'm SUPER excited to use that one! It's an awesome lens and you can take night shots handheld because the aperture is so wide.

MMQ~ hope the kiddo is feeling better- hey at least it wasn't at Disney!! Don't worry, you'll get back into running. You should do the Princess in Feb :goodvibes

OhMom~ congrats on the diagnosis!! That's great they think they know what it is. I hope you're feeling a bit better. And so funny- I didn't realize the "oh" in your name meant Ohio until I saw your last post. Duh. I always think of a kid saying "oh mom" when I read your name :lmao:

Hi everyone!

I had a much better week this week - got back into my running and went out Wed and Thurs for 4 mile runs. The first one went good - I took it pretty slow and easy pace but was happy that I felt good doing it. Yesterday went even better - little faster pace and felt good the whole way. Leg are sore today but a good sore.

This morning I weighed myself and was thrilled to see I'm down 2.5 from Monday! Still up 1 pound from before vacation. I finally stopped eating everything in sight and really watched and controlled my portions this week, and very little snacking. :thumbsup2

I've been running when DH get home at 4pm, so I got from 4-5pm which is great, becuase after I get home, we have dinner, but I usually drink so much water that I'm hardly hungry for anything so I've just had very small meals for dinner, and I think that is probably helping the weight loss a lot.

This weekend is my son's birthday, so it will probably be a bad eating weekend - out to dinner tomorrow night, and cake & ice cream over the weekend. I'm jsut so happy to finally feel like I'm out of my slump!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter