SUPER Budget trip...could I get away with...????

If you want to save some big money, just pack your refillable mugs in your backpack, along with a washcloth, and a travel toothbrush and paste. Why stay close to the park when you can stay in it? I chaperoned a large group of high school students a few years back on an excursion to Disneyworld. We got on the topic of sleeping in the park, and most of the kids and I couldn't stop looking for great places to spend the night in the park. We made a list and here are some of our top places.

If you're from a humid part of the country, there are plenty of good places to sleep in Splash Mountain. If you like rustic living, try Tom Sawyer Island. There have got to be tons of places to hide out and spend the night. For those that must have a bed, we saw a few of them on the Peter Pan ride. I'm betting it's a super firm mattress, but don't complain.....it's free. Some others thought the area to the right of the castle with all of the bushes would make a nice place to crash. You could also hop off the train and stay in one of the teepees near the back of the park. We considered Small World, but then came to the conclusion that all of those crepy animatronic characters probably come to life at night! Bring some granola bars and some pop tarts and you're all set.

Got any other ideas for good places to "camp out" in the Magic Kingdom? pirate:

thespiderman said:

People, people, people...remember where you ARE!!!!!! I realize that what Spiderman is suggesting in terms of sleeping arrangements is doable, but remember...you will be in the middle of the Magic...and use the resources available to you!!!!

I thought everyone knew to visit Tinkerbelle's Shoppe early in the morning to procure a large amount of pixiedust before it is all gone for the day (hint: it usually disappears shortly after a second determined parent arrives at the store hoping to wakeupTink).

Having pushed yourself ahead of all these wannabe wandwavers, stash the pixiedust until park closing when everyone is leaving for the evening. Make sure you have positioned yourself in Tomorrowland near the Astroblasters. Quickly sprinkle the pixiedust on yourself and your family. Think happy thoughts. When you have risen high enough to blend in with the rockets...hover.

This is necessary in order to avoid the last of the "watching" employees. Once the park is really closed, you are free to find your favorite spot to hover. Of course, you still have to avoid the cleaning crews, but that's not too hard with a little practice. My family actually zipped over to MGM last December and hovered close to the Osborne Lights! Lol...I am sure we were the reason for the "Angels at Disney Studios?" story that appeared in the Orlando Sentinel later that week!

thespiderman said:
If you want to save some big money, just pack your refillable mugs in your backpack, along with a washcloth, and a travel toothbrush and paste. Why stay close to the park when you can stay in it?

You know, Spiderman, I think you're onto something here. The Swiss Family Treehouse has definite potential for a great overnight stay for no added cost. Sleeping accommodations for a family, running water, an outdoor kitchen, and that great little pump organ for entertainment. ;)

Don't forget to plan for an early morning breakfast before the park re-opens. If you have your cooler on wheels with you, bring along eggs and bacon to cook over an open fire in the Swiss Family kitchen. (I'm sure Disney wouldn't mind a small little fire since there's water nearby as a safety precaution.) The kitchen already has dishes and utensils provided.

Plenty of time to clean up and clear out before the tourists arrive. The treehouse may look a little more "lived in", but that's OK because it will just look more realistic. :)

I'm surprised that no one has considered the Haunted Mansion for their overnight MK stay. They have 999 residents but the Ghost Host is always telling me that there's "room for one more." I may just have to "drag my wretched body" there on one of my trips. The stretching room would be a nice place to camp out; in the "dead" center of the room, of course!

I seem to remember reading that a great place to "hide" if you want to stay overnight in the parks is in the caves on Tom Sawyer's Island. Of course, that was many years ago at Disneyland, and it had a sad ending....the teen died trying to swim back across the river....but he didn't get caught before closing!

Dawn

aka-mad4themouse said:
I'm surprised that no one has considered the Haunted Mansion for their overnight MK stay. They have 999 residents but the Ghost Host is always telling me that there's "room for one more." I may just have to "drag my wretched body" there on one of my trips. The stretching room would be a nice place to camp out; in the "dead" center of the room, of course!

Proud to say I did in #75..... :banana:

How did I miss that post, lovesmurfs?

It's okay if your family has dibs on the HM. I'll move over to the Hollywood Towers Hotel in MGM. I understand that they have a lovely library with a TV. We could make ourselves comfy there. The lobby is a bit dated and the fountains have been turned off (I think they're conserving water). But I understand that the view from the penthouse is spectacular.

Really funny! lol! Actually we tried some of these things back in the 70's when we camped at FW in our van! Made a bunkbed for youngest dd over the front seats with a platform and crib mattress! We all still love the mouse but have gotten a little fussier with our digs. Grammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter