SUPER Budget trip...could I get away with...????

Belle5

DIS Veteran
As some of you know, we have a BIG family and it's getting REALLY expensive to travel with our 6 kids so I have been searching the board for tips to put together a major budget trip for our family of 8. First, do you think anyone would notice if all of us would squeeze into one room at Pop Century? (My kids don't mind sleeping on the floor!) Secondly, I thought I could bring our super-sized George Foreman and grill each night in the room. (Mmmm...I can taste those garlic grilled tuna fillets now...) Thirdly, do you think that my 6 year old might pass for under three at the gate (he's only in the 50% in height for his age). I know the CM at the turnstile won't really believe he's under three...but surely they won't make a scene when they see how many other kids we have to pay for! I mean, c'mon....Disney doesn't need the money! Are there some good free breakfast buffets at off-property hotels we could sort of "slip into" unnoticed? I think someplace that's generally crowded so we wouldn't really be noticed would be best. We prefer hot breakfasts. (We'll have a car so driving off-property is not an issue. Closer is better, though;) ) It's really a hassle to leave the parks during the day just to cook in our room, so I really need some ideas for how to do lunch inexpensively. I was thinking that if I bought 2 double burgers at Pecos we could make about 6 big salads to go with them at the toppings bar and we could feed the family of 8 for, oh, about 12 bucks. Not too bad, eh? I know all you BUDGET minded people think just like me (always looking for a way to cut corners) so I'm sure you will be able to help me make this trip happen. I can't wait to see your ideas! Happy replies only, please!!!!:hyper:

Oh my, when I read the first line of your post I thought you were legit and I was thinking "Oh no, this is gonna be ugly" lol! After the second line I realized it was a joke and by the end I was LOL!

really there's no need for the kiddos to sleep on the floor, if you are driving, take along some screws and a screwgun, a few sheets of plywood and 4 4x4s and a few 2x12s and make bunk beds for over the doubles! if need be you can bolt them to the walls ( just fill the holes with white toothpaste when you take them down and nobody will be the wiser ) i'd imagine you were going to take along air matresses for the pool anyway so they can just do double duty. if everyone pitches in it shouldn't take long to put together, probably not much longer than it will take you to get your homemade spagetti sauce going in your crock pot.. you could easily fit 2 kids per bed and that way they'll all get a good night's sleep. . the bunk bed idea is safer too in case there is a grease fire you won't need to jump over the kids but just proceed out in an orderly fashion since l read Pop's curtains go up in flames really fast when you are grilling near them which is pretty negligent on wdw's part, one more example of their "put the customer last" attitude imo .

if you can not find that free buffet here is another tip (since you have a car) for an easy meal...butter an english muffin, crack an egg and put it on the bottom 1/2, top with cheese, ham then top muffin 1/2.wrap in foil,place on engine & drive to fc for coffee in previous year's mugs (leave the car running) and by the time you get back to the room you'll have a piping hot cheesy egg sandwich..GOOD EATS! 8 should fit on the engine block with no problem

Originally posted by lilsonicfan
...so you're saying that cooking in the room isn't a good idea? awwww!!!! :(

No, no no no,

She is just saying that cooking <I>garlic grilled tuna fillets</I> in your room is not acceptable. Please be considerate of other guests. Hardly anyone appreciates the smell of garlic grilled tuna fillets in the hall at Pop when they returning to their own rooms after a long day in the parks.

However, I have had good results (and was once even asked for my recipe) using the bathtub, an asbestos mat and a blowtorch (for igniting the woodchips and lightly searing the surface of the meat) in making an entire smoked ham for our family...although I think I was asked for my recipe only because I used <I>hickory</I> wood chips for the smoking process. BTW this is relatively easy to do utilizing the bathroom for approximately 12 hours each day over a 3 day period. (We always make sure we do this when we are gone at the parks so we can all shower when we return).

...Sure, it's a little inconvenient having to stop and start the process twice, and sure sometimes we do smell a bit like bacon (but who doesn't like <I>that</I> smell on vacation lol) but the end result is worth it...plus it saves our family at least $26 dollars.

...and sometimes we do it twice so we actually save $52!

Anyone who would like a blow-by-blowtorch description on how to do this yourself...well, I'd be proud to contribute my bit to the Budget Board. Just PM me.

Don't forget you can fry sausage on the iron -- good for smashing grilled cheese too!

That's definitely a new one for me, and I'm going to put that idea to use. Now, does any type of meat work with this recipe? I'd like to smoke a few ribs on my next trip, and then I thought I'd just go make some garlic toast in the food court toaster (at the Pop), then fill up all our old Southwest Airlines mugs with frozen coke. Any ideas for making a cake? We just love dessert with our dinner! I had considered steaming a cake in the bathtub with the hot water. We may have to find somewhere else to bathe if I'll be tying up the bathtub with all that cooking!

Don't forget to pick up some used POP refill mugs on Ebay. I hear that you can save a fortune ;)

People! People! People! Puh-leeeeze don't cook in your rooms!

Build a solar oven instead and place it in the parking lot before you leave for the parks in the morning! This hand-dandy, little device is perfect for the family that wants a home-cooked meal on the road. Check it out:
Solar Cooking

SOLAR4.JPG
SOLAR20.JPG

sweet maxine, you can bake that cake in the oven and save the bathtub for keeping your perishables cold. Just fill it with ice from the machines and cover with one of the spare blankets. You'll probably need to vist 5 or 6 ice machines to get enough ice each morning because you'll empty each of them in the process. But it's worth it not to pay Disney $10 per day for a dinky little fridge that won't hold a 20 lb turkey!

You guys are great! I KNEW I could count on you for some great money saving ideas! Keep those suggestions rolling in!!! I had thought about the bunkbeds out of plywood...but how to patch the walls??? Toothpaste....jann10333...you are a genious!
Blowtorch and solar oven? Who would have thought. My techy DH is going to LOVE getting in on THIS kind of planning! Woo-hoo!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Actually the free brekky at HIFS is a zoo in the morning so just stroll right in the front door- no-one will have a clue.

If you can't find a used mug on e-bay a bread bag is also widely accepted.

Also be sure to ask Mousekeeping for extra soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and shampoo, and sell it on EBAY...oh, and don't forget the Maps I hear they sell like hotcakes too!!!

Speaking of Hotcakes...and along with Mad4themouse's post I think you can start you car, spread foil out on the hood and make Hotcakes and Bacon...you can wrap the sausages and put them on the engine. If you are driving to WDW I think you can cook a whole meal under the hood!!!;) Turkey would be great for a few meals!!

On trips to the park...make sure you bring a backpack grill, and cook your own Hot Dogs in front of Caseys... you can always ask them for Ice and condiments.

Don't forget to bring your pets on vacation too, so you don't have to pay for kennels, just sneak them in you room!!!

sweet maxine,
no need to disturb your steaming cake....just head over to FW for FREE showers! (That would go for the rest of you who don't want to refill your tubs being used as ice chests, too!)

I think that you could do some deluxe resort hopping (to check out the pools of course) and then head up to the concierge lounge. If you are dripping wet in your swim suits I doubt they will ask for your room key. That way you can get plenty of food and snacks with out cooking. Better yet, send your 6 kids into the lounge get food for you!
Plenty to eat for all for FREE!!

we love bbq so my mouth is watering just thinking about that juicy smoked meat! what agreat idea!...i can't remember if pop has fabric or plastic shower curtains...do you have to shut it to get the true smokey effect or is just the br. door good enough..will fabric work or should i pick up a plastic one at home and bring it along .hmm come to think about it last time we stayed at fw those curtains were plastic so i could probably borrow one from there since we'll only need it for 7 days this time. i don't think they'd notice since there are the stalls then the curtained off area.

and about cooking the hot dogs outside casey's...bring extras and i'm sure you could get a little extra spending money by selling them right there on the spot...who wants to wait in that long line and with the topping bar all you'd need to bring was the dogs and buns. enough for some nice souvies would easily fit in your wheeled electric cooler you were probably going to bring to mk anyway.. i think i recall seeing a plug just behind the fence at Casey's outdoor table spot so youmight need an extension cord.

I can think of only a few tips missed by others. Don't forget to hit the buffets! Why pay for everyone to eat when you can just send in one person with a bunch of ziploc bags? Make sure that person is carrying a large, empty tote bad - the one TDS had on sale not long ago would work well - or even the carpet bag since it holds more. A great time to go is during the time the restaurant is going from breakfast to lunch. You can get 2 meals for everyone that way... and probably have leftovers for a late night snack as well.

Oh yeah, just thought of one more. Make sure to pack your kids scruffiest play clothes. Have them all wear them one day and stand near the WDW main entrance with a handwritten sign (any old box will do) asking for spare change because their parents won't take them to WDW. Make sure they practice their pitiful expressions first. WDW goers are often suckers when it comes to kids (why would we spend so much taking our own if we weren't :) ) so you're bound to get enough to pay for at least one buffet meal for the family (see above for stretching that out to a week's worth).

The last tip has only limited success rate but worth a shot. Go to places that take Q&C vouchers and have your kids go up to the people using said vouchers and ask if he/she is really going to get a dessert too. If not, ask the person to give it to the child. With some experience, I bet your kids could find ways to start asking for that extra patty on the burger, the ice cream/pop corn & extra bottled drink part of the AK vouchers, etc.

Oh yeah, if all else fails, have your kids volunteer to clear the tables for people eating at counter service restaurants. Make sure, though, that they pick the ones who've left plenty on their plates! A little careful trimming and you've got perfectly edible food - almost like a buffet if you can do this for enough people.

BTW - I had a college roommate who was almost that bad about eating other people's food. I once learned he ate my dinner leftovers that I'd put in the garbage because "it smelled good, I was hungry and it wasn't touching anything dirty" (almost a direct quote when he told me about this).

Why not pass off your second youngest as not quite 3 YO too? Just explain tearfully that he/she is so large because of a rare thyroid condition that went undiagnosed until recently. :worried:

If you'd rather not spring for a used refill mug from ebay, just bring some mismatched plastic cups from home that you can fill with drinks at the food court for free. Who's going to say anything when they see how many children you have to provide drinks for?
:earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Just thought of another one. Have your kids hang around the pressed penny machines wherever you go. Then they can go up to a CM and sadly say that the machine ate their penny AND their quarters. After visiting enough machines, they should have whole pockets full of pennies and quarters to help your budget. :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter