SUNPASS

Caoimhe

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know, can we purchase a sunpass transponder in Orlando International Airport or in a petrol station on the grounds of the airport? I don't want to get caught out by the rental car company if it can be avoided.
We are renting with Alamo if that makes a difference.
Thank you/

You can still pay cash if your just going from Airport to the Orlando area, it's cheaper than getting a Sunpass. We once missed the cash both and we were auto charged by Alamo, I'm not sure how much it was now.

Forget SunPass Just make sure to Ask on collection that if fitted that it is turned OFF.

Just make sure you have $ notes & Coins handy .

Stay in extreme RIGHT LANE & follow Green Light for Attendant Booth

Forget SunPass Just make sure to Ask on collection that if fitted that it is turned OFF.

with Alamo you're automatically opted in for the toll by plate system. It can't be turned off, as it's the toll plaza's cameras flashing your plate if you get through a sunpass lane.

@OP
First time you drive through a sunpass lane, you're charged $3.95 (+ toll)
for the next 24 hours you can drive through any sunpass lane without additional charge (except for the tolls themselves)

after that 24 hours period, you won't be charged additionnal fees unless you use a sunpass lane again

That's different from other renters that will charge you for every day of your rental even if you don't use tolls.

You can still pay cash but it's good to know your options.
Don't forget that toll booths will not take anything larger than a $20 bill. And some are unmanned, and you need quarters.
All tolls in the orlando area are either manned or have a lane where you toss quarters into a basket.
If you go in the Miami Area, a fair amount of tolls are automated and you can't pay cash

buying a sunpass sticker in ineffective, cost wise, as you need to load it with $10. And what will be left of that credit will probably exceed the fees collected by the rental agency.

The good news is, that if you run out of cash, you still have the option of using the sunpass lanes.

In my humble opinion, I was in the "I don't want to give Alamo those $3.95" camp and always paid at the toll plaza.
Then one day, after a long flight, I was fed up, and decided that I didn't want to exit the freeway, slow donw, take money from my wallet, open my window to the scorching heat outside, smile say hello, give money, collect change, roll window up, drive away, insert back into traffic flow ... and repeat 3 miles down the road;
so I drove through that sunpass lane, knowing the Alamo policy and fees

and, since that date, I consider the convenience is worth every penny

to each their own.

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies, it has been very much appreciated. Its almost 10 years since I was in Florida and I know things will have changed a lot in that time.
I have also discovered since I asked yesterday, Alamo will cap the cost of their administration fee for tolls at 19.75 for the full length of your rental, as I am renting for 21 days, this is actually more or less the same as buying a proper transponder. I am assuming the tolls are probably more expensive than a quarter these days, but I am more relaxed on the idea that I am not going to be hit with some huge bill that I am not expecting.

Hi

First time we went (8 years ago) we didn't have 50c in change to get off the unattended automatic toll exit, so make sure you get change before you leave the airport.

Has it happens some other brits pulled up and gave me 50c to get through .. bless 'em

Regards

Paul

I consider the convenience is worth every penny

Same especially now they got the cap, I'd probably save a few buck if I just paid the tolls manually but I am what you call lazy :rotfl:, and after a long flight even though isn't much of an inconvenience I still cant be dealing with it, so I'm happy to pay extra if it makes my life even slightly easier.

Same especially now they got the cap, I'd probably save a few buck if I just paid the tolls manually but I am what you call lazy :rotfl:, and after a long flight even though isn't much of an inconvenience I still cant be dealing with it, so I'm happy to pay extra if it makes my life even slightly easier.
So basically you don't have to pull into the toll plaza at all?

Do you all book your cars direct with the car companies? I always use AutoEurope and they have consistently been cheaper then any of the hire companies over the years in the different countries. The one year we had a problem in Orlando it was with Hertz who did not have the car we paid for, we phoned auto europe who told us to tell hertz thanks but no thanks and I think we took a dollar car that year. Problem solved in about 5 minutes, the look of shock on the hertz counter guys face was priceless.

Do you all book your cars direct with the car companies? I always use AutoEurope and they have consistently been cheaper then any of the hire companies over the years in the different countries. The one year we had a problem in Orlando it was with Hertz who did not have the car we paid for, we phoned auto europe who told us to tell hertz thanks but no thanks and I think we took a dollar car that year. Problem solved in about 5 minutes, the look of shock on the hertz counter guys face was priceless.
I usually use USRentaCar. Always a good service.

I have never heard of them, will keep them in mind for next time. They never showed up on my google search, I wonder is that because I am Irish and searching from Dublin.

with Alamo you're automatically opted in for the toll by plate system. It can't be turned off, as it's the toll plaza's cameras flashing your plate if you get through a sunpass lane

This is somewhat misleading. We have had a Sunpass for many years, the full transponder. Regardless of which company you have rented from, when you go through the Sunpass lane it "sees" your transponder and automatically deducts the toll from your account. Only if you do not have one does it record your details for "toll by plate".

ford family

This is somewhat misleading. We have had a Sunpass for many years, the full transponder. Regardless of which company you have rented from, when you go through the Sunpass lane it "sees" your transponder and automatically deducts the toll from your account. Only if you do not have one does it record your details for "toll by plate".

ford family
Actually, it takes a picture of the license plate for every vehicle that passes thru. If a transponder is detected, the photo is deleted.

I have never heard of them, will keep them in mind for next time. They never showed up on my google search, I wonder is that because I am Irish and searching from Dublin.

Try Holiday Autos based in Dublin 01 6854228

Also Argus car hire .

I live in Cork & we use both Co. for car hire in USA , & Europe

Pay in Euros & you have a Pre Paid Voucher ( Print Out ) & Full to Full fuel

Holiday Autos ..... Toyota Corolla from Dollar 16th May to 6th June Orlando ( MCO ) € 480

Holiday Autos for 8 days in Amsterdam Skoda Octavia Estate € 339

We fly Aer Lingus Dublin to Orlando Direct

( AirCoach from Cork to Dublin Airport direct )

Try Holiday Autos based in Dublin 01 6854228

Also Argus car hire .

I live in Cork & we use both Co. for car hire in USA , & Europe

Pay in Euros & you have a Pre Paid Voucher ( Print Out ) & Full to Full fuel

Holiday Autos ..... Toyota Corolla from Dollar 16th May to 6th June Orlando ( MCO ) € 480

Holiday Autos for 8 days in Amsterdam Skoda Octavia Estate € 339

We fly Aer Lingus Dublin to Orlando Direct

( AirCoach from Cork to Dublin Airport direct )
I used to use Argus but they seem to have got unreasonably expensive recently

Thats great, shame I've booked with Dollar for the next trip!!

I'll be doing Alamo in the future!

be very, very, very, wary of Dollar's toll policy

if you opt in at time of pick up, they will bill you for $10 for each of your rental days ($52 cap per week). To be fair you get unlimited toll usage for that price, but you pay for each day of your rental. For a 3 weeks rental, that's $150 flat fee wether you use tolls or not.
If you don't opt in at time of pick up, and accidentally go through a toll, you'll be charged the $52 per week, as well as a $15 fee for each toll your hit (capped at $90)

so be very, very wary

Alamo is $3.95 per 24hrs you actually use the tolls, + the tolls at Toll by Plate rates.

compared, a 3 weeks rental, where the driver only goes to and from MCO
it will cost $150+ with dollar, and under $15 with alamo

policies and fees are here https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter