Sunpass question

The pass which sticks onto the windshield costs $5, plus $10 on your toll account. It must be stuck on the windshield, and cannot be used in another car after you remove it. I think you can get unused tolls refunded, but not the $5 purchase price.

There is also a $20 pass that attaches by suction cups and can be used on other cars on future trips. You still have to deposit $10 minimum into your toll account.

Got tired of FL dragging their feet to accept ezpass & bought suction cup Version. One of best vacation related purchases I've made

This will be the first time in 12 years that we are renting a car to get around. Can anyone tell me if the disclaimer the rental car companies state about the surcharges for tolls is JUST if you go through the tolls without paying them?? I chose not to add the sunpass to our rental for the ridiculous cost vs paying the $5.00 in tolls for just one time there and back. Thanks if you can help with this!

This will be the first time in 12 years that we are renting a car to get around. Can anyone tell me if the disclaimer the rental car companies state about the surcharges for tolls is JUST if you go through the tolls without paying them?? I chose not to add the sunpass to our rental for the ridiculous cost vs paying the $5.00 in tolls for just one time there and back. Thanks if you can help with this!
In the Orlando area, you can certainly just pull off and pay the tolls at the toll booths, it's only a few dollars from MCO to WDW.
Each company has there own system for charging tolls and opting in to their system, as well as the penalties involved if you don't.
See: https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Alamo/National/Enterprise seem to have the fairest option, they charge $3.95/day plus tolls BUT only for the days you actually accrue any tolls.

Dollar/Thrifty/Fox seem to be the most expensive at $10.49/day (includes any tolls that you accrue) BUT for every day of your rental $52.49/week max
IMHO: The only time I see this as being a good option might be if you are driving down to the Miami area. The trip down on the Turnpike and all the "Sunpass Only" tolls in the Miami area could easily accrue enough tolls to offset the $10.49/day fee.

The other companies seem to fall somewhere in between these 2 extremes. Most companies charging this "convenience fee" for every day of your rental.

We used Thrifty's system once for a one-way rental from MCO to Port of Miami for our cruise. We only had the car 1 day, picked up at MCO and drove through the Sunpass lanes all the way down the Turnpike to Miami and across Miami to the airport. The toll calculator estimated the tolls at around $20 and all we paid was the $10.49 to Thrifty. I'm not sure this would make economical sense if you were renting for more than a couple of days in areas such as Miami that are "Sunpass only"

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter