Summer Vacation Time - San Diego, Hotel Del Coronado, Catalina, and of course DL

KCMike, loving your trip report. Thanks for sharing it.

We're taking our first California family vacation next year, assuming we've got the funds anyway, but are heading north (Yosemite and I think we're throwing Monterey in). Meanwhile I'm scheming to convince dh to add on DL, or at least let dd and I add DL and let him fly home early. (He's not a Disney lover).

So reading the California trip reports is great, thank you!

Your pictures are lovely. Hotel Del looks WONDERFUL. Can see why your family loves it.

We are taking our first trip to Southern California next month and spending 6 nights at Grand Californian and then 3 nights at Hotel Del. Im getting so excited reading your trip reports! Any good recommendations for the Del and surrounding area?

On the Sun Deck you can get good hamburgers and different items. We also like the pizza at the Village Pizzeria which is less than a block from the hotel. There are several restaurants around the area including ones inside the hotel. The hotel ones are super expensive. We took the coronado ferry over to San Diego downtown to visit the USS midway naval battleship one day. There are some fun shops just across the street as well. I will try to think of some more stuff.

KCMike, loving your trip report. Thanks for sharing it.

We're taking our first California family vacation next year, assuming we've got the funds anyway, but are heading north (Yosemite and I think we're throwing Monterey in). Meanwhile I'm scheming to convince dh to add on DL, or at least let dd and I add DL and let him fly home early. (He's not a Disney lover).

So reading the California trip reports is great, thank you!

Your pictures are lovely. Hotel Del looks WONDERFUL. Can see why your family loves it.

Where are you staying in Yosemite. We did that trip (of course with Disneyland for a half and half stay) a few years back. Yosemite is heaven on Earth. One of my most favorite places I've ever been. We have stayed in Monterey twice as well. In Yosemite we did the Yosemite View Lodge which is just outside the park by a mile or so. In Monterey we have done the Holiday Inn just north and Sanctuary Beach Resort (highly recommend) which is also just a few miles north of Monterey (think a couple of exits up). Have you ever been before? What are you trying to see?

Alright today's update is a few more photos around the resort.

This picture is in the room that is poolside and not of the main building.
IMG_2812.jpg

Just off the sundeck and walking down to the beach this is your view
IMG_2823.jpg

This guys and his many friends fly about all day long hoping for some scraps of food from the sundeck guests
IMG_2857.jpg

Opposite side of the pool facing our rooms. We were in the middle second floor.
IMG_2860.jpg

From the sundeck just relaxing
IMG_2861.jpg

Front doors
IMG_2864.jpg

In the middle of the main building is a courtyard. The main area is shaped in a square with this beautiful area to walk through and just relax. I have other shots of this area but will start you off with this one.
IMG_2874.jpg

Next up: Random shot of Disneyland

Great TR! Your photos are beautiful, and I LOVE the Del Coronado. The sun deck you posted pictures of is my favorite place to sit and enjoy the view!

The Coronado is so pretty. It looks like the rooms are good sized too.

I love the picture of the castle!!

Great TR! Your photos are beautiful, and I LOVE the Del Coronado. The sun deck you posted pictures of is my favorite place to sit and enjoy the view!

Thanks Monica. The sun deck is one of our favorite places to take it all in. In the day we would eat lunch up there. In the evening one night we ordered pizza from the Village pizzeria and ate out there. To watch the waves crash in and then turn around and see the pool and del was just magical. By the way if you order a coke there from 11:30am to 5pm its free refills!

The Coronado is so pretty. It looks like the rooms are good sized too.

I love the picture of the castle!!

Thanks again. The rooms are very large. That helps with a family of five. I like the reflection in the water of the castle shot. I'm always trying to get a different angle of that castle and trying to have the sun hit it just right. Here is a pic of the bathroom at the Del.

IMG_2816.jpg

This is from my daughters I Phone. We just headed onto the highway when we noticed the white smoke in Colorado Springs. I know there was a lot of devastation and lives lost. I will keep them in my prayers.

photo.jpg

Wow! I never realised how big the rooms were at Coronado. One of these years, I'm going to have to book us in to stay there. Problem will be how to break the news to my aunt, who lives in the SD area.

Great pic of the castle...and thanks for posting your DD iphone pic. My thoughts are with the people too.

Here are a few more from around the resort.

From the beach looking back to the Del
IMG_2969.jpg

Some gentleman was out there building a sand castle
IMG_2972.jpg

Had to get the family shot from the beach
IMG_2831.jpg

Flowers around the resort
IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

Shops across the street
IMG_2923.jpg

This home was for sale near the village pizzeria...only 5 million. What a steal!;)
IMG_2887.jpg

Thanks everyone for tagging along.

Your TR is just awesome!

It makes me wonder if I should do 2 nights at the Del, 2 nights in Hollywood and the rest at DLR in November.

I'm just waiting on a deal for the Del to help with my decision.

Thanks again. The rooms are very large. That helps with a family of five. I like the reflection in the water of the castle shot. I'm always trying to get a different angle of that castle and trying to have the sun hit it just right. Here is a pic of the bathroom at the Del.

Wow--that bathroom is gorgeous! I love the tile on the floor...that's exactly what I want for my hall bathroom. ::yes:: And the rooms look really spacious, although I guess it should be for what they charge there!

Awesome TR! Thanks so much for sharing!

What a great vacation so far and I love your photos!

IMG_2887.jpg

Beautiful! I need to count my spare change.:rotfl:

Now that is a bathroom!! Plenty of counter room and sinks for sure.

Your TR is just awesome!

It makes me wonder if I should do 2 nights at the Del, 2 nights in Hollywood and the rest at DLR in November.

I'm just waiting on a deal for the Del to help with my decision.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I can't remember how many days you have total for your vacation? With Hollywood I would only spend one day at the most. I am/was very disappointed with that whole area. Sometimes the Hotel Del Coronado with do a B2G1 free deal. Keep your eyes out. You might sign up for their newsletter as well.

Wow--that bathroom is gorgeous! I love the tile on the floor...that's exactly what I want for my hall bathroom. ::yes:: And the rooms look really spacious, although I guess it should be for what they charge there!

That's no doubt. They have robes in the closet as well. They are not free obviously but are very handy when you go down to the hot tub and run back to the room. It took me several years to find that trick out. I saw someone doing it and thought....clever.....:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter