Summer Vacation Time - San Diego, Hotel Del Coronado, Catalina, and of course DL

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
Welcome to my latest trip report. I can't believe it but I haven't done one for such a long time. Our vacation doesn't start until 12 days from now but I thought I would start and give you my latest itinerary of what we plan to do this time around. For those of you that don't know my story...We were seasoned WDW vets who had been six times to the World since 1990 when I proposed we should head West one weekend in October of 2007 to visit Disneyland. We loved it so much and had such a blast. We got to see the Haunted Mansion overlay, Remember Dreams Come True fireworks, and Parade of Dreams. It really was amazing. Plus the simple fact of it being Walt's original park just made it that more special. Now since 2007 we have been several times with only one time back to the world, which was last year. We had a good time. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and Grand Floridian and really enjoyed the resorts more than the parks. I have to say that the Magic Kingdom in Florida just seemed big and empty compared to Disneyland. We all missed Disneyland so much last year but we wanted to wait to see the complete refurbishment and new additions to DCA (which seems like everyone else is going this time around too).

Here is my family...
DSC00133.jpg

And me...
IMG_0423-1.jpg

This was taken back in 2009 I believe when we added San Diego to the trip and stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado. Probably our favorite vacation of all time. My kids our now 17, 14, and 14. Time is coming to end. My oldest will go to College next fall and money will be tight to say the least. So this will probably be our last "family vacation" for some time. My twins will go to High School next fall. Wow how the time flies. You hear it all the time but it really goes by so very fast. It really makes me sad.

Back in my point and shoot days.
DSCN4578.jpg

Alright now for the itinerary. Stay Tuned.

Signing up! Always love watching the TR of a Canon 60D. Plus I love Cali vacays. :thumbsup2

BTW - I love the shot of your family; but isn't it always the case? The worst shot is of the photographer!

Thanks for signing up.

Here is the intinerary...

Day 1-2 Drive to Colorado Springs and see Pike's Peak and the Garden of the Gods if there is enough time. Then drive up to Denver the second day and catch a flight on Day 3 to LAX. We did this because we could save over $1200 on flights by driving 8hrs west and we've always wanted to show the kids the Rocky Mountains.

Day 3 Arrive very early at LAX and drive down to San Diego and the Hotel Del Coronado. We are debating on whether stopping by the Santa Monica Pier. We just can't decide. It's something we've never done in all our California trips. We've driven up the coast from LAX to Monterey to San Fran to Yosemite. Yosemite was so gorgeous. I wish I could have added it this time around but it just wasn't me to be.

We plan on spending 3 days at the Del. We hope to do nothing but sit, relax, shop, and have alot of beach time. We might visit the USS Midway in Downtown San Diego as well. We've done Sea World before which was awesome but we really want to limit our theme park time to only Disneyland. Here is one of my favorite shots of Sea World. Reliving the memories...
DSCN4104.jpg

The next part will be we drive up to Anaheim and spend 6 days up there. 5 days in DL/DCA and one day off to go to Catalina for the day.

We thought about doing many other things but it all really got cut out because of how bad I think the crowds will be. We thought about Santa Monica Pier, El Capitan to see Brave, Griffith Observatory, and a few other things. We've done Hollywood before and have visited several beaches in SoCal. Our favorite has to be Corona Del Mar.

Any other ideas?

That's a fantastic shot at Sea World!

When we are in LA, I always like going to the Farmer's Market for the food options. It happens to be near Samy's Camera Shop....I've never stopped but next time I'm going to stop and head in.

The other place I like to visit is Long Beach. It has an aquarium; and there is a place near by that offers gondola rides along the Naples canal. It's not often that you find places offering gondola rides outside of Venice, Italy. I don't know if this is something that your family might be interested in or not; but they do offer twilight gondola rides.

Mike, I just found you, Thanks for the Great start! Cannot wait for more!!
Love your pics, as usual!

Lori

take an afternoon away from Disney and do a studio tour! You might need to check the ages, but I think your kids will be ok. We did the Paramount Studios Tour and it was amazing, we got to see the set from Big Time Rush and saw a commercial taping and learned a lot about the history of the studio.

Looking forward to your report!:goodvibes I don't have any suggestions, but everything you've mentioned sounds great.

Cool about the drive to Denver, then flying. We once flew from KC to New Orleans, then rented a car and drove to Orlando. Midwest had just opened a route to NOLA, so it was cheap! Loved Midwest.~sigh~

I'm here! Followed ya from the GF thread...thanks for the link! Can't help with DL or Cali at all...but looking forward to all the pics :goodvibes What a beautiful family! Everyone looks so excited (and who wouldn't be with the Grand and the castle in the background :love:

Great start Mike, looking forward to your trip report.
Sounds like you have a fantastic vacation planned.
Love the family pics!! they all look so happy.

Hi KCMike!

I grew up in Southern California in the San Fernando Valley. I have been to many of the places you mentioned. I was out in LA 6 years ago, my daughter had a summer internship and was living at UCLA. We went to DL a couple of times. So fun! I hope you go to Catalina, I would love to hear what it looks like now.

Enjoy the family vacation...looking forward to reading all about it!

Signing up! Always love watching the TR of a Canon 60D. Plus I love Cali vacays. :thumbsup2

BTW - I love the shot of your family; but isn't it always the case? The worst shot is of the photographer!

Thanks. Worst shot is of the photographer?

Mike, I just found you, Thanks for the Great start! Cannot wait for more!!
Love your pics, as usual!

Lori

Thanks for remembering my first ever trip report. I still can't get over your memory!

That's a fantastic shot at Sea World!

When we are in LA, I always like going to the Farmer's Market for the food options. It happens to be near Samy's Camera Shop....I've never stopped but next time I'm going to stop and head in.

The other place I like to visit is Long Beach. It has an aquarium; and there is a place near by that offers gondola rides along the Naples canal. It's not often that you find places offering gondola rides outside of Venice, Italy. I don't know if this is something that your family might be interested in or not; but they do offer twilight gondola rides.

Thanks PrincessInOz. I will look into the gondola rides. Sounds cool.

Hi KCMike!

I grew up in Southern California in the San Fernando Valley. I have been to many of the places you mentioned. I was out in LA 6 years ago, my daughter had a summer internship and was living at UCLA. We went to DL a couple of times. So fun! I hope you go to Catalina, I would love to hear what it looks like now.

Enjoy the family vacation...looking forward to reading all about it!

We are excited about Catalina as well. Hope we really get there this time around!

I'm here! Followed ya from the GF thread...thanks for the link! Can't help with DL or Cali at all...but looking forward to all the pics :goodvibes What a beautiful family! Everyone looks so excited (and who wouldn't be with the Grand and the castle in the background :love:

Thanks so much! Your too kind.

Looking forward to your report!:goodvibes I don't have any suggestions, but everything you've mentioned sounds great.

Cool about the drive to Denver, then flying. We once flew from KC to New Orleans, then rented a car and drove to Orlando. Midwest had just opened a route to NOLA, so it was cheap! Loved Midwest.~sigh~

Did your trip go ok with the drive then fly method? I'm a little worried about not flying out of my home airport. I've been to the Denver airport but just a little hesitant about driving to another airport.

AND AGAIN....
Hello all my Grand Floridian buddies! Thanks for joining me over here.

Just getting back from my trip at SoCal and glad to see yu started your PTR. Hope you and your family have a great time at the DLR.

I do enjoy your photos on the thread and can't wait to see them.

Great start Mike, looking forward to your trip report.
Sounds like you have a fantastic vacation planned.
Love the family pics!! they all look so happy.

For those who haven't been over to the Disneyland Picture of the Day thread you need to head on over. Prepare to be dazzled with Mikey's shots. He brought home some stunners!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=45157632#post45157632

Go back a few pages and take a look!

Thanks Mike for the nice comments.

Down to 10 days for us. I'm in that ok its really happening phase now.

Here are a few Grand Californian shots we took the last time we stayed there. No GC for us this year. I promised some shots of the GC in another thread so here they are...

IMG_7430.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7530-1.jpg

IMG_8661.jpg

IMG_7371-1.jpg

Till next time

Just getting back from my trip at SoCal and glad to see yu started your PTR. Hope you and your family have a great time at the DLR.

I do enjoy your photos on the thread and can't wait to see them.

Thanks Bret. How was your trip?

Thanks Bret. How was your trip?

It was amazing to see CL and BVS all finished (technically partial finished until it opens officially in a few days). CL was even better then I expected. The rides were great and Radiator Springs town looked exactly just like in the movie. I am burned out taking over 2000 pics from CL and BVS and it was worth it. I wished I was there on opening day, but it was better to go during the preview while it was not that crowded.

Thanks for remembering my first ever trip report. I still can't get over your memory!

Thanks PrincessInOz. I will look into the gondola rides. Sounds cool.

You are Welcome, can't wait for more!! :woohoo:

Lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter