Suite or Two Rooms??

Mineu

DIS Veteran
I have priced both options at the DL Resort and the suite is about 200.00 more than two rooms. Are there any added benefits to a suite, such as view, location etc? I keep leaning that way, but my husband wants two rooms, so hoping for some reason to justify the suite. Thanks!

We are going with two rooms, 1. for the second bathroom and 2. for the extra $150 gift card! We are travelling in February and the DLR hotels are offering a $150 gift card with every 4 night reservation.

On the positive for the suite, you are guaranteed to be togethr, something they will not guarantee(although it is very likely) with two rooms.

I think it depends on who you are traveling with. We have to get either two rooms or a suite but since our children our young we need to go with a suite. If you have more adults than two you could spilt up. I don't know about the DLresort hotels but many others suites do come with two bathrooms like where we are staying at the Residence Inn Marriot.

1. At Paradise Pier
Guestrooms are 364 square feet; thus 2 would be 728 sqft; 2 full baths
1 bedroom junior suites; 792 sq ft, 2 full baths (9 jr suites)
Imperial suites are larger, and there are only 5 of them (800 - 1245 sq ft)

2. At Disneyland Hotel
Guestrooms are 364 or 415 sq ft; thus 2 would be 728 - 830; 2 full baths
Regal suites are 740 - 940 sq ft; 1 full, 1 1/2 bath (all 3 towers)
Royal suites are 740 sqft; 1 full bath only (Bonita tower only)
Ambassador Suite; 1400 sqft, 2 bedrooms, 2 full, 1 1/2 bath (Bonita)
California Suite; 1130 sqft as 1 br; (adj. avail); 1 full, 1 1/2 bath (Sierra)
Penthouse Suite; 1770 sqft, 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths; bath 3 w/shower (Sierra)
Presidential Suite; 1320 sq ft main rm; 1684 as 1 br, (adj avail); 1 full bath, 1 1/2 ba. (Sierra)--Note; I think this is being used as the temp concierge lounge while the regular lounge is being refurbished.
Marina Suite; 3400 Sqft; 1 br; 1 full, 1 1/2 bath; (Marina tower)

3. At Grand Californian
Guestrooms are 353 sqft; thus 2 would be 706, 2 full baths.
Artisan 1 br suites (694 - 793 sqft) 1 full bath
Arroyo (VP Suite) 1604 sq ft, 1 BR; 1 full, 1 1/2 bath; (adj rm avail)
Arcadia (VP Ste) 1719 sq ft; (same as Arroyo)
Mt Whitney (Pres Ste) 1990 sqft; 1 HUGE split bath, 1 1/2 ba; office; (adj rm avail)
El Capitan (Pres Ste) 1987 sqft; basically the same as Mt Whitney.

At the Disneyland Hotel; I have stayed in Regal suites, the Ambassador and on our next trip, we are in the Penthouse--all have been wonderful rooms. I have never stayed at either of the two other resorts on the property; but I am sure they would be quite nice, as well.

Happy decision making!!.... :surfweb:

You don't say how many people or their ages, but we looked into this a bit for our recent trip. We decided against the two rooms due to the ages of our children (DS6 and DS2), in particular the fact that their room would have its own entrance and bathroom (DS2 is fascinated with water at the moment.) Well, and the fact that the cost was exhorbitant!

We wound up all in one standard room with 2 queen beds, each boy sleeping with a parent. It was fine, just would have been nice to sleep with my DH. Sigh...

Thanks for the replies! We are 2 adults, a 13, 12,10 and 8 year old. I received a quote for a 1 bedroom suite through AAA but they didn't say which one. Are they all basically the same? Also, do standard rooms at the DL hotel come with daybeds or just 2 queens? Thanks!

Mineu said:
Thanks for the replies! We are 2 adults, a 13, 12,10 and 8 year old. I received a quote for a 1 bedroom suite through AAA but they didn't say which one. Are they all basically the same? Also, do standard rooms at the DL hotel come with daybeds or just 2 queens? Thanks!
The most common standard room has two Queen beds, but there is a standard with King bed and pull-out sofa. I'm guessing the sofa would be like a Full size mattress (or maybe a Double?) based on our experience in other hotels, but I really don't know for sure.

There's a sticky in this Disneyland section that has a ton of information on the resort hotels and off-site hotels, so you might check it out to see if it answers some other questions you have. It even has room and grounds photos, which I loved!

Edited to add: WAIT! Mary Jo said there was a room with bunk beds! I don't remember what it's called or how many beds altogether, but I know I saw photos of it in that Hotel sticky! That might be just the right thing for you, and I am pretty sure it was a standard room!

Some of the standard rooms have daybeds; some do not--you would have to request, I believe...

Through AAA, my presumption is that the suite would be either Regal or Royal... In that case, if you can, request the Regal. Friends of ours stayed in the Royal suites and said they had this odd, Murphy bed thing. :confused3 Of course; that was a few years ago, and could be different now.

Shhh, don't say you heard this from me BUT...if you say there are 5 in your group, you will automatically get the 2Queen beds and the daybed configuration. The daybed is a sofa where the back cushions come off but it doesn't open up, just sleeps one. THEN you can also get a free rollaway and sleep all 6 in your room.

DLH will NOT allow this because of the fire codes but plenty of people do it. We tell a fib too :guilty: when staying there, we say we have 3 kids but only have 2 because we NEED the daybed and it is not "guaranteed" unless you have the "proper" amount of people! DH is always unloading the luggage and parking the car so they never ask where are the rest of the group. I guess if they even think about it, they assume the "invisable baby" is with him at the car.

This also works for PP but NOT GC! The 5th person might get a sleeping bag and there are NO rollaways at all because the rooms are smaller and won't fit.

You could also save $$ by choosing the BWPPI and get a minisuite with 2 Qs and a full sized sofabed that actually opens up and sleeps 2. Easily 1/2 the price of DLH and closer walk.

AAA is not always the best deal so shop around a bit compare prices for packages as well as buying the individual components. Staying at DLH gives you EE every day it is offered so make sure that AAA lanyard is worth the difference-lol. Costco's package has free character meals bonus but remember to add in the cost of the person not in the package for meals and ticket. Look for specials through expedia and travelocity, things like a free $150 gift card or stay 4 nights get 4th night free.

Wouldn't six people in a single, standard room be way too crowded for comfort?

mdburd said:
Wouldn't six people in a single, standard room be way too crowded for comfort?

We do 5 (granted two are kids) - and we have never felt cramped. Granted though we go to the park as soon as we wake up, and keep going until it is time to crash. The two times we stayed at PP we were amazed at how large the rooms were (with the day bed) - I would have easily added another person.

mdburd, I thought our rooms at DLH seemed just as spacious as those minisuites across the street. We put the rollaway along the sliding glass door up against the wall parallel to the queen bed and had plenty of room. (I would not do this with a small child who might stand on the bed and fall over the balcony!!) DD used the table next to the bed for her nightstand and all her precious stuff and ds used the desk next to the sofa bed as his nightstand. The kids each had their own space and that left 2 queen beds that 4 people could share plus if I had to do it, I could have set up the portacrib that comes in the closet by the door to the room. All of our DLH rooms have been a bit different but all of them have been large enough to fit a rollaway with the daybed too.

I think it depends on the $$ and how much a family will be in the room. The OP's youngest child is 8 so they are not toddlers and how much time will they really spend in the room? Some can bath at night and others get showers in the morning. Now if it was 6 adult women, I'd say no-lol but the last room we got had a giant bathroom with a long long vanity and a double sink so maybe they could have all gotten "done" quickly!

We did have the one bedroom suite last March. I LOVED having the 2 bathrooms, one was a 1/2 bath off the livingroom area and the other full bath was off the bedroom. That bathroom was very large and had a glass enclosed shower in addition to the bath/shower combination. The bedroom itself was exactly the same as any other 2 queen sofa sleeper room we have had but a bit smaller! The living room was giant but seemed like so much wasted space.

My understanding is that all of the suites are different. We've heard of some with a wetbar in the living room. Our didn't have it. Many just had a standard bathroom without the glass shower. Also, our sofabed was awful in the suite!! Only the kids could sleep on it so that was a shame to not be able to put the kids to sleep in the bedroom and then use the living room. Then some suites have "real" balconies with tables and chairs in the Bonita tower. There just isn't a uniform room.

Even the standard 2 queen/sofa sleeper rooms have different things, sink in the bath, sink out of the bath, desk near the closet, desk next to the sofabed, I can't imagine what they were thinking when they designed it but the worst is the rooms that have 2 entry doors! There is one door off the hall and you are in a foyer type room with 2 more doors to each room and the rooms are not connecting! It is annoying because you can really hear your neighbor coming and going-ugh! What is the point of that?

fidoprincess; cool; it just "sounds" like a large number of people for a single room--and I'd probably spend as much time in the bath as those six women you spoke of!! :rotfl2:

The suites with the balconies you are speaking of in Bonita is the Ambassador--that was the last room my family and I stayed in the last time we were at the park... This trip I've opted for the penthouse suite in the sierra building--slightly more square footage; but not a balcony... Oh well, trade offs....

Anyway; in my humble opinion; no matter where you stay--You're GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!! :cool1: Nothing else matters in the end.

mdburd! How lucky are YOU!! I always wanted the Bonita with the balcony but honestly, nothing can touch the Penthouse Suite!! It is GIGANTIC!! How many people are in your group? I think I was told at one time that not only will you have the DTD view to see the fireworks but that the whole suite wraps around the end of the tower at the sorcerer's hat so you get the pool view too!!! I am so excited for you!!! Okay, I am excited that we are going to dl but if I was actually staying in THAT suite, I'd be so excited I wouldn't be able to breathe. When do you go? Don't say Christmas time because that would just be too too perfect and I would have to hit you-lol!

Actually; we are going for Halloween; arriving on the 29th--I can NOT WAIT!!

There will be seven of us; 6 adults and my nephew who is almost 4 (Nov 17 is bday).

This trip is a huge Halloween and Birthday celebration for us all. My birthday was last Friday (Oct 6), my SIL Kelli's is Oct 18, Brother Nicholas' is Oct 21, Mom's is Oct 28, Kelli's mom's is Nov 16 and Andy's, Nov 17. My brother, Bob is the only oddball--his is Feb 13.. ;) .

This is also the first time for Kelli, Deb (her mom) and Andy to visit the park... Everyone thinks we are staying in the Residence Inn in one of their big suites--this is my surprise. (Thank goodness I can gush about it here--or I'd burst!! :bounce: )

only 2 and a half weeks to go!! :cool1:

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc I am so excited for YOU that I almost have tears in my eyes. What a wonderful surprise for you to spring on your family! OMG, It would be so so hard to keep a secret!! I don't know how you are keeping quiet? Does anyone know besides you?

AND for HALLOWEEN!! Have you seen all the wonderful new pics of the decorations! It will be so so fun. I hope you come back and post some pics of the suite. Actually there is a rumor going around that Johnny Dep stays in that suite and brings his kids(2 boys?) so there are always "boy" toys for guests to play with. I don't believe it for a second but had a guest tell me right to my face when she stayed there. She had a 5 year old boy and said there were pirates toys and all kinds of stuff in the room. If so, that would be cool for your nephew.

Happy Birthday!! You must be doing some serious counting down to this fantastic trip!! Should I remind you to make plenty of PS(dining reservations!)? Oh, you will HAVE to do room service at least once-lol!! Promise you will come back and post some pics of the suite and the faces of your family when they see it!!! I hope your trip is spectacular and everything you hope for!

OMG; you have no idea how tough it is... I mean, I just talked to my brother Bob and SIL Kelli last night (Andy had already gone to bed) on the phone--and told them that our tickets and and everything arrived yesterday via FedEx from Disney Travel--I totally almost let it slip... LOL...

Sincerely, NO One but folks who read my posts here knows... Like I said; thank goodness for you all to talk to--or I'd burst with the excitement...

I will make sure there are tons of pictures and I'll do a large post in the trips forum, too...

The Halloween decorations look great--I know they'll be gorgeous in person.

Anyway; the dog is staring at me with that look--"take me for a walk.."... so, goodbye for now.. :figment:

I am thrilled for you, did I already say that-lol? I really admire you that you could keep such a big secret. So what is the plan? How are you going to "spring" it on them, just checking into the DLH is going to be a surprise but when they actually see the room, OMG, what a thrill that will be!!!

I can not imagine paying $800 a night for a room, is that still the going rate or probably it is more by now. I hope at least for that suite, they throw in concierge, yes or no? This summer we paid about 425/night for just a 2 room suite at a beach resort for 7 nights and I joked with DH we could have just stayed at DLH for 1/2 the time in the Penthouse Suite-lol.

You know, I thought that DLH was turning that suite into the Pirates theme, is it? I thought they were going to redo it and make it part of the million dreams giveaway. I heard they've had the Princess Diaries suite for a few years but it is just a one bedroom and they are also doing or have done a mickey themed suite. I can not wait to hear all of the details!! Congrats to you for pulling it all together and keeping it a surprise!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter