Suggestions for lowkey things to do outside of park

Stefien Quix

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone! Long time no chat! Finally making our next trip happen in 2023! My wife & I are trying to find a happy balance in what we're looking for in this trip and so I'm trying to respect her desire to not spend every waking moment inside a Disney Park, lol :) Ostensibly on off-days we'll be recharging for the next day in the park. We'll be staying at Old Key West resort. While I respect the notion of spending all day running ourselves ragged trying to do everything at the parks, I also know I and our daughter will start to want to do SOMETHING besides just hang around the resort all day.

Wondering if people had some suggestions for non-Disney park activities nearby that are a little less amusement park themed. :) For example, she sent me a link to a manatee tour "relatively" nearby.

If there's a pre-compiled list out there (I did a search on the site but didn't come up with anything) I apologize and please feel free to correct me and I can pull this post.

Take the bus to DHS and then ride the Skyliner. You don't have to enter a park to get on the Skyliner (in fact, it's not in any park) and it's a really fun, low-key ride. If you want to get off and explore the Boardwalk, the Riviera, CBR, or AoA, now's your chance.

From OKW, you can go on a very long and pleasant walk that passes by a golf course and ends up at SSR--or at DS, eventually, if you want to go there.

Also, there's a boat from OKW that goes to DS. You could take the boat to DS, then switch and take a boat to POFQ or POR. That's a really nice ride.

If you're looking for things to do outside WDW, wait for other posters. I'm in in-the-bubble person!

Semi close is Kennedy Space Center.
Onsite mini golf.
Walking around Disney Springs.
Go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and enjoy the savannah.
We enjoy resort hopping. Depending on the time of year, they can be decorated really nicely. Around Easter, many had amazing chocolate Easter eggs. Christmas has amazing Gingerbread houses.

Take the boat from OKW over to DS, then catch the boat to POFQ. Hop off, have some coffee and beignets. Walk over to Riverside and take a horse-drawn carriage ride if you feel like it. Catch the bus from POFQ/Riverside to MK. Monorail around the MK monorail resorts, hopping off at each (Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary) to take a look around the resorts, shop, have a treat or drink. Bus back to OKW. If you do the monorail "tour" at night, you could watch the fireworks from the Marina at the GF or from the 4th floor observation deck at the Contemporary.

P.S. We once did a "non park" day and visited the Kennedy Space Center. Not a bad drive over there and an interesting visit - but it ended up feeling like a park day to me.

If you have a car, one of our non-park days usually involves checking the Character Warehouse outlet (the one closer to Walt Disney World at the Vineland Premium Outlets). The outlet mall can get busy so it may not be entirely low-key, but we've enjoyed the Disney deals we've gotten there over the years.

The other non-park-day activity we've enjoyed is a lunch or dinner at a WDW resort hotel, for example, we went to Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Visiting one of the resorts can be a decently-long activity, between dining and exploring the resort itself.

if you have a car this place is just over an hour south of Disney but we're going to the Bone Valley Experience by Thomas Hodge in December and again in April..

you can find them on FB here:
1663251956451.png

and we're going digging for shark teeth and megaladon teeth - SUPER excited!!

Try doing a progressive monorail loop dinner. Grab apps and a drink at the Contemporary, have your dinner at the Poly, then grab something sweet for dessert at the Grand. Take a walk around the grounds of the Poly and the Grand while there as well.

Hey everyone! Long time no chat! Finally making our next trip happen in 2023! My wife & I are trying to find a happy balance in what we're looking for in this trip and so I'm trying to respect her desire to not spend every waking moment inside a Disney Park, lol :) Ostensibly on off-days we'll be recharging for the next day in the park. We'll be staying at Old Key West resort. While I respect the notion of spending all day running ourselves ragged trying to do everything at the parks, I also know I and our daughter will start to want to do SOMETHING besides just hang around the resort all day.

Wondering if people had some suggestions for non-Disney park activities nearby that are a little less amusement park themed. :) For example, she sent me a link to a manatee tour "relatively" nearby.

If there's a pre-compiled list out there (I did a search on the site but didn't come up with anything) I apologize and please feel free to correct me and I can pull this post.
There have been similar threads on the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board, but I can't seem to find one to link here. However, if you ask your question there, I know you'll get lots of great information, including about the manatees!

The last two trips I have taken we have done a lot of resort hopping. In December it was nice to see all the different decorations at the resorts. We went to AKL and it was nice to walk out and sit in the chairs and watch the animals on the Savanna. My friend even stated we don't need to do the Safari at AK because we can go see most of the animals at AKL.

The end of last month we decided to take the skyliner (first time riding) and go to EPCOT from Pop and then took the boat to Yacht and Beach Club. We then took the next bus that came and just went with the flow. My friend even commented she liked these type of trips where we weren't going non-stop at the parks every day (in August we were only there for 3 days and went to MNSSHP and Typhoon).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!