Stuck on dates...

ccmuppets

Earning My Ears
I am really excited to book our family's 2020 trip to WDW, but I'm really stuck on dates. I have two kind of bad options (such is the fate of a teacher). I would like to rent DVC points to do a split stay between Beach Club and Polynesian.

Help me choose?
1) August 18-26, 2020. Pros: Low crowds, low cost, time to recoup before school, halloween decor. Cons: high temps, high humidity (with three small kids), afternoon storms that could even be hurricanes

2) April 12-19, 2020. Pros: Mom wants to come to celebrate Easter, much better weather, no threat of hurricanes. Cons: high cost, high crowds, 1 day less, right back to school/work next day

What should I do?

My kids never really seem phased by humidity. If it gets you more days and less crowds I would choose that!

I probably wouldn't let the weather dictate too much. It's very possible, and even likely, that it will be just as hot in April as it will be in August. Same with the overall weather. While August will be in Hurricane season, your threat of heavy rain and daily rain showers is possible throughout the year. So just because April may not have the hurricane threat doesn't mean the weather is therefore that much better.

August in a heart beat. Lower crowds, lower cost. Transitional time before going back to work.

August for lower crowds, lower cost. We use to go every year at the end of August. Crowds are great! Yes its hot, but plan accordingly. Take afternoon breaks. We always went back to the resort for swim/nap, then back to the parks in the evening. Works out great.

You'll get rain and heat in both August & April. So dont let that sway you. Plus around Easter time its INSANE.

I'd choose the August trip. Taking an afternoon break helps with the afternoon storms and high temps/high humidity, and also keeps the kids fresh. Be up and out in time for rope drop, head back around 1 for an afternoon break, come back to the parks for dinner/evening touring.

I'm going to be the voice of dissent. My kids and DH do not do well in high heat and humidity. Even though summer hours are later, we couldn't take advantage of them to tour during cooler times since some of my kids can't handle the late nights. If I were planning a trip for just me, I'd do late August. But for my whole family, they'd enjoy themselves a lot more in April.

I've done August twice and it was fine. RD, midday breaks by the pool and back to the parks in the PM. We've never had complete wash outs in August. One trip it only rained once midday and it was the only day we ended up taking a nap. It worked out great.

I don't think you could pay me to go to WDW for Easter.

I go at the end of August almost every year. It's fine. Most rides are indoors. Plan for the rain. Low crowds can't be beat!

My SIL was just there on Monday and said the crowds were crazy compared to other years...not sure you can guarantee low crowds at any time anymore. :-( But I do think the August crowds would be lower than Spring Break time frame crowds.

I would much prefer August. If you go in April you will be rushing to plan things. It will also be harder to get the dining and fp you want. You would need to set up a rental for beach club immediately if you want a studio because once Sept 12 hits they will be gone. Since your plan is to stay at resorts closer to 3 parks I think August with some midday breaks would be very doable. I hate breaks with the bus because it eats so much time out of your day, but when you're only a boat or a monorail ride away and the transportation is almost like it's own ride it isn't bad.

August would be my vote. We go in August and love it. You couldn’t pay me enough to go over Spring break with the crazy high costs to deal with those crowds (same for Christmas week- did it once. Never again!).

Follow teacher here! We have taken 4 trips the end of August and once in April. We swore we would never do April break again. Some of the best memories we have is running through the afternoon rain in MK. We do take hotel breaks and my DS gets a little rest in. Overall, the lower crowds and price is what drives our vacation plans.

You need to weigh the pros and cons based on what's most important to your family.

With older kids or kids who are used to the heat and humidity, August probably wouldn't be a big deal. My kids are all 5 and under and we're from Minnesota and all have a very low heat tolerance, so summer trips are 100% out for us. It wouldn't be worth it for everyone to be crabby and/or sick the whole trip because of the heat. We're so heat averse that we'd take higher crowds and trust our plans and strategies to keep us zigging when everyone else zags. (We went the week after Thanksgiving several times and enjoyed the Christmas decor without too much hassle from crowds.)

We went the first week of May this year, just two weeks after your proposed April dates, and thought the weather was good but headed towards too hot for our kids (the ones we took this trip were 4 and 2 at the time). It was in the 80s most of the week and only rained once for about 30 minutes. Crowds weren't bad either, and I've heard others say that Easter crowds are manageable if you plan your park days right.

But having an extra day and a buffer before going back to school/work in August is a big plus. Not enough to sway me to travel to Disney in the summer, but maybe it's worth it for you. You know your family best, so you should decide based on their preferences.

Another teacher here! Those are the same times we like to go. Currently planning April 2020 but our break is a week later than yours thus it’s farther removed from Easter. We will also have a 10 month old so I think we’d rather have his carrier strapped to us in April rather than August. August is hot/humid but I don’t personally mind too much. We’ve never run into hurricanes. Deals are also much better in August than in April (last year we stayed at ASMo for less than $100 a night!) And I always feel like I need a day to decompress after vacation before going back to school. So my vote would be for August!

August! It’s almost always hot and humid in Florida, even in April. We went during spring break once and haven’t repeated that since.

I just read an August trip report yesterday that said never again in August and lamented it took him 2 trips to learn that. If the heat saps the strength out of you, it can be a deal breaker.

Since Easter is Apr 12 I'd choose August, and I hate humidity. i'd do rope drop until 11am, then rest/swim at resorts until 5-6pm and push to close.

Re: renting DVC, summer is low season for DVC so you are much more likely to get the resorts you want. I have yet to be able to rent at Beach Club as there are few rooms and even fewer owners willing to rent (I go through one of the main rental agencies - even at 11 months out I could not get Beach Club for this October and will stay at Boardwalk instead).

The only risk with August as it could be the start of hurricane season. Otherwise, get plenty of fastpsases for Splash Mountain and plan on lots of pool or water park time during the main day hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter