Stitch Replacement?

+1. Forgettable movie, forgettable character.
I pretty much stopped watching Disney films after Brother Bear. At this point, I am sticking with the classics, so I figure in another 10 years I won't be able to relate with anything at WDW! Still, I have never done the Stitch ride and plan to in October, especially it it may be gone after.

I know but that was 2012 and while it was good and fairly well received it didn't exactly set the world on fire in the years since. I'm all for replacing Stitch (nothing against Stitch but the attraction is terrible) I just don't see this really happening with the way things currently operate.
Well considering that Wreck-It Ralph was the studios predecessor to their biggest hit under the current branding and the director's follow up breaking a billion as well and yet the sequel is still going through (and before the earlier confirmed frozen one) and is still remembered fairly well, I would honestly say it's kind of a huge accomplishment

I dont understand why disney seem so intent on pushing stitch out of WDW. I may be wrong, but I'd imagine Stitch is one of if not the most popular characters to any girls/women aged between 12 and 35, especially if they're from asian regions. They must sell (or at least could if the merc selection wasnt so poor these days) a ridiculous amount of stitch merch to that demographic. Why on earth would they want to phase out that merch stream and IP for that demographic? Its just ridiculous that they've never managed to come up with a worthy attraction for him.

I agree, Stitch is a great character and well beloved by my DDs.

Disney management might blame Stitch for the failure of the attractions they came up with for him ... remember the dance party?

If they do replace it with something else Lilo and Stitch I hope they honor the true heart of the movie this was a movie about sisterly love and sacrifice before Frozen made it cool. :smooth: If it's just gone though lol that would be cool too.

Well considering that Wreck-It Ralph was the studios predecessor to their biggest hit under the current branding and the director's follow up breaking a billion as well and yet the sequel is still going through (and before the earlier confirmed frozen one) and is still remembered fairly well, I would honestly say it's kind of a huge accomplishment
I'm not disputing the fact that the movie did well at the box office. I just question whether it's one of those movies that people gobbled up merchandise for and still look for stuff today.

I'm all for something new going in and I think it would be nice to see them try to get ahead of something again but that just doesn't seem to be this management team's style.

Well just got back from WDW. Simply could not believe the amount of kids and people carrying around the mid to large size stuffed Stitch. I think they underestimate just how popular the little blue guy is.

Stitch still has his share of fans, but the ride needs an overhaul.

Here's an idea: make the Stitch themed attraction something at a water park. Think about where Lilo and Stitch takes place. Now, think about how to draw people to the water parks, which often get skipped because they don't count on park hopper passes. This would be a winning situation plus it would satisfy the Bobs' desire to get IP into areas where it usually isn't.

There are rumors of moving Figment to Magic Kingdom as a character...probably for GOTG to take over his old domain in Epcot if they can't bump Ellen from there...maybe make a new show there about imagination? (I know, it seems sacrilege only because Figment was the original Epcot guy, but the new Figment show there is a major letdown anyways).

Those are all fantastic ideas imo. Why aren't you working for Disney? lol
I WISH....how does one become an imagineer? I got a list buried somewhere.....honestly ill do pro bono work if I could sit in an imaginer meeting lol :thumbsup2

I'm not disputing the fact that the movie did well at the box office. I just question whether it's one of those movies that people gobbled up merchandise for and still look for stuff today.

I'm all for something new going in and I think it would be nice to see them try to get ahead of something again but that just doesn't seem to be this management team's style.
People are looking at the movie for the movie, not for the merchandise sales. And there's the chance the of the sequel to capitalize on this. Honestly there's a crap ton more to consider when it comes to why they considered it. I believe it had pretty good home video sales and the characters I believe were popular in the parks while they were meeting. I actually had to wait in line for them and this was 2 months before they left

People are looking at the movie for the movie, not for the merchandise sales. And there's the chance the of the sequel to capitalize on this. Honestly there's a crap ton more to consider when it comes to why they considered it. I believe it had pretty good home video sales and the characters I believe were popular in the parks while they were meeting. I actually had to wait in line for them and this was 2 months before they left
Keep in mind though that you exit through the gift shop so merchandise is a super critical part of the park decisions.

Mine Train doesn't, and Snow White sells amongst the least of all the princesses
The building Stitch is in already has a gift shop it exits into and Disney has figured out multiple ways to capitalize on that way. First it was the early ADRs at BOG and then the breakfast package with PP and Pooh.

Of course I wouldn't rule out a breakfast package with Buzz, Space and Wreck-it-Ralph at Starlight Cafe so you may be right that physical merchandise wouldn't be as important.

DS would be heart broken if anything happened to Stitch. It's his favorite character. Loves the movies too. :stitch2:

He really loves the meaning of Ohana, “Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind… or forgotten.”

The building Stitch is in already has a gift shop it exits into and Disney has figured out multiple ways to capitalize on that way. First it was the early ADRs at BOG and then the breakfast package with PP and Pooh.

Of course I wouldn't rule out a breakfast package with Buzz, Space and Wreck-it-Ralph at Starlight Cafe so you may be right that physical merchandise wouldn't be as important.
Ok what does adrs at be our guest have anything to do with merchandising for a potential ride. It's almost as though you are stubborn (I know I just got heard out for jumping to conclusions here but I don't care right now) to accept anything other than "merchandising" for a factor in why they build. Honestly if it were as big a point as you were making we would have cars land here in Florida. I'm pretty sure they were other factors into why frozen ever after was speedily green light, and I will admit merchandising was probably one, but do you think Anna and Elsa having 5 hour waits for a couple months every day has nothing to do with their decision? How about the strained relationship between Norway and Disney whenever Disney asked for help with the pavilion. Seems to me they wouldn't have if done it (well, so fast) if Norway agreed to help. Mickey isn't a hot merchandise seller and he's apparently getting his own ride. No one buys anything avatar and that's getting something. All I'm trying to say is there is more than just merchandising as to why they build rides, and honestly ignorance in trying to disavow it and pretend it's the only reason is going to prove you wrong in the end

Ok what does adrs at be our guest have anything to do with merchandising for a potential ride. It's almost as though you are stubborn (I know I just got heard out for jumping to conclusions here but I don't care right now) to accept anything other than "merchandising" for a factor in why they build. Honestly if it were as big a point as you were making we would have cars land here in Florida. I'm pretty sure they were other factors into why frozen ever after was speedily green light, and I will admit merchandising was probably one, but do you think Anna and Elsa having 5 hour waits for a couple months every day has nothing to do with their decision? How about the strained relationship between Norway and Disney whenever Disney asked for help with the pavilion. Seems to me they wouldn't have if done it (well, so fast) if Norway agreed to help. Mickey isn't a hot merchandise seller and he's apparently getting his own ride. No one buys anything avatar and that's getting something. All I'm trying to say is there is more than just merchandising as to why they build rides, and honestly ignorance in trying to disavow it and pretend it's the only reason is going to prove you wrong in the end
It's all about the upsell. They aren't building any ride with the simple belief that it will be fun in and of itself. The vast majority of the attractions are tied to gift shops and that wasn't just designed by convenience. Whether it's replica ride vehicles, tshirts, pictures, etc. Sure the build is in hopes of creating buzz to get people in but a huge part is what they can sell you after that's accomplished.

Pandora is about trying to get people to spend more time in AK. Whether that's going to work or not I don't know. I really don't think it's a brand that's going to really pull a lot of people in. Will it be popular upon opening? No doubt because anything new typically draws a crowd but where is the staying power with it? Many people feel that the box office appeal was the special effects and innovation in filming not the story. Regardless you can bet that there will be equal numbers of gift shops and restaurants to attractions.

My point is simply that adding or removing a character/theme tied to a movie isn't done just because someone thought it was a cinematic masterpiece. It needs to fit and it needs to make moves. Sure there are exceptions to every rule but the vast majority of the time decisions are far more than simply "this was a fun scene in the movie". If it does turn into a Wreck-it-Ralph racing simulator I would suspect Star Traders will be loaded down with remote control cars, model cars, picture frames for the ride photos,etc.

Disney certainly wants you to have an enjoyable experience but they want you doing it with an open wallet.

It's all about the upsell. They aren't building any ride with the simple belief that it will be fun in and of itself. The vast majority of the attractions are tied to gift shops and that wasn't just designed by convenience. Whether it's replica ride vehicles, tshirts, pictures, etc. Sure the build is in hopes of creating buzz to get people in but a huge part is what they can sell you after that's accomplished.

Pandora is about trying to get people to spend more time in AK. Whether that's going to work or not I don't know. I really don't think it's a brand that's going to really pull a lot of people in. Will it be popular upon opening? No doubt because anything new typically draws a crowd but where is the staying power with it? Many people feel that the box office appeal was the special effects and innovation in filming not the story. Regardless you can bet that there will be equal numbers of gift shops and restaurants to attractions.

My point is simply that adding or removing a character/theme tied to a movie isn't done just because someone thought it was a cinematic masterpiece. It needs to fit and it needs to make moves. Sure there are exceptions to every rule but the vast majority of the time decisions are far more than simply "this was a fun scene in the movie". If it does turn into a Wreck-it-Ralph racing simulator I would suspect Star Traders will be loaded down with remote control cars, model cars, picture frames for the ride photos,etc.

Disney certainly wants you to have an enjoyable experience but they want you doing it with an open wallet.
It's like talking to a wall with you, so I'm just going to stop

My wife and I love Stitch but have to agree with the masses that the ride is at best a waste. I would take almost any IP in its place as it would at least give me something to consider doing.

For what it's worth I still like my wife's idea of simply re-painting the Astro Orbiter rockets and just calling it Stitch's Astro Orbiter to give his name some presence without really changing anything. The only problem is it may make the Astro Orbiter wait longer...

My wife and I love Stitch but have to agree with the masses that the ride is at best a waste. I would take almost any IP in its place as it would at least give me something to consider doing.

For what it's worth I still like my wife's idea of simply re-painting the Astro Orbiter rockets and just calling it Stitch's Astro Orbiter to give his name some presence without really changing anything. The only problem is it may make the Astro Orbiter wait longer...
I would agree that removing Stitch altogether seems like a very bad idea and I don't think that Astro Orbiters is a bad place to put him. Another spot might be a reimagined Space Ranger Spin. With Toy Story getting such a presence in HS and Buzz in desperate need of some cleaning and repair it seems a Stitch overlay would be a quick and easy way to keep the character in the park.

Stitch may be the one ride in all of Disney's parks that people wouldn't complain about being changed, haha! I don't even hate the ride, but I do think it's time something fresh goes in there.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter