Stealing from stateroom doors

diablodancer

Mouseketeer
Interested in everyone’s experience with this. Just off the Fantasy and both of our staterooms has pins stolen off of pin trading boards on our doors which weren’t even next to each other (knew this was a risk and took them down as a result). Is this common?

Interested in everyone’s experience with this. Just off the Fantasy and both of our staterooms has pins stolen off of pin trading boards on our doors (knew this was a risk and took them down as a result). Is this common?
I've never left pins on our doors, but have put up decorative magnets and fish extenders with gifts on five different cruises, and have never had a problem with theft. I'm sorry that happened to you.

We have had magnets stolen off of our door before, which is why we stopped bringing them. So yes, things like that do happen.

I always stick a cheap flower lei on my fish extender as a room identifier for me and one time it was stolen early on in the cruise and then it was brought back 5 days later. But whenever I have often seen people's doors with white boards with messages saying "please don't steal our magnets/pins". So it definitely happens often.

Sad to hear that happened but yes, I had a favorite Minnie Mouse magnet stolen off our Fantasy door. Now I only bring homemade magnets which seem less appealing to thieves.

Don't put anything on the outside of your door that you would be heartbroken to lose. I didn't have anything stolen off my door and didn't hear of it happening on my cruise, but I've read enough stories about it online that I went in knowing that my decorations might walk away and set my expectations (and my level of effort in making them) accordingly.

We lived in a major city for the past 10 years and had sooo many amazon packages stolen off our porch (wish I could see the thieves' faces when they opened a big box only to see a jumbo box of diapers). I keep hearing people are surprised that others steal on Disney cruises because people pay so much to be there, but (1) kids and teens don't pay to be there, and it is a common thing that lots of little kids are magpies with sticky fingers--they just lack the impulse control and more of than not are left by parents to roam the ship unsupervised; (2) you don't have to be poor to be a klepto; it's just a compulsion for some people.

Yes it happens. I only have personalized magnets. People report things taken from their FE holders too.

I read about this happening. I only put out custom magnets (with our names). There was a time when I opened to my door to leave my room and there was a teen girl's face right there. She was very embarrassed and said she was just looking at our magnets. I mean her face was within a couple inches of the door as if she were severely nearsighted. It was startling to me to open my door to a face.

Of course they have cameras in the hallways, but I don’t think it’s Disney’s job to police personal items that you may choose to leave on the outside of your door.

If I report stolen items it 100% should be on them. They can easily track down and find that person on the ship.

Probably would take someone 15 to 20 mins to track down the person who stole something. I would suspect security on the ship would have to have access to review footage.

On the Magic last week there were several reports of door pin and magnet theft. I cant figure out if someone in my FE gave an extemly cheap gift or there was something more that was stolen...and I cant figure out a great way to ask. There was no theft of the FE that we did for the kids that were traveling with us and some of those were "better" gifts that stayed in the FE for quite awhile.

Sounds like magnets with family names are the safest bet!
Nope.

I'll admit I'm a magnet fanatic. I love to decorate our door with lots of magnets.

We've had 2 magnets stolen. Both had our names, dates of cruise, and room number in a prominent position on the face of the magnet (so that removing them would basically destroy the magnet).

On the Magic last week there were several reports of door pin and magnet theft. I cant figure out if someone in my FE gave an extemly cheap gift or there was something more that was stolen...and I cant figure out a great way to ask. There was no theft of the FE that we did for the kids that were traveling with us and some of those were "better" gifts that stayed in the FE for quite awhile.
You could always write a general note something like, " I've heard there were some thefts of things from outside doors on our cruise last week. I hope no one has lost anything of value. I just wanted to also mention that we've enjoyed all the gifts you all have given and hope you enjoyed ours. This has been fun."

You could, if you want, mention what you gave, but that doesn't mean all the other members will say what they gave.

We had an opposite experience. We decorated for our Christmas, SwDAS, and HOTHS, cruises and never had anything taken off. On the contrary. We found a smaller magnet added once. Didn’t know if it was pixie dust or if had fallen off someone else’s door. I went up and down our hall to see if it looked similar to someone else’s magnet but didn’t find any similar. So I chalked it up to pixie dust and left it there even if it didn’t really go with out theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts