Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first few months for sure. Even Pandora well over a year old now is still getting 90+ minute waits on a daily basis.

for FoP, yes ... but if the land itself (Galaxy's Edge) is trully immersive, I wonder for how long they will have to limit access to the land itself - for Pandora that dies out a few weeks after opening (I think) - I think it could be a year or more at GE (or at least most days)

for FoP, yes ... but if the land itself (Galaxy's Edge) is trully immersive, I wonder for how long they will have to limit access to the land itself - for Pandora that dies out a few weeks after opening (I think) - I think it could be a year or more at GE (or at least most days)
I agree. Could be at least months of limited entry.

I agree. Could be at least months of limited entry.
Yeah and just think how long they could milk extra hard ticket events-which frankly if there was one when we were there I'd seriously think about. Even if it is "packed" at least you'd be guaranteed entry.

Reservation systems allows only until the end of 2019, when will they open for next year? There will be record crowds and no deals available as this will be super popular.

My thinking is to take time around Spring break 2020 and come down when the crowds will be a little bit lighter.

I echo the earlier comment that I find it difficult to enjoy when the crowds are too heavy.

Reservation systems allows only until the end of 2019, when will they open for next year? There will be record crowds and no deals available as this will be super popular.

My thinking is to take time around Spring break 2020 and come down when the crowds will be a little bit lighter.

I echo the earlier comment that I find it difficult to enjoy when the crowds are too heavy.

Rack rates for 2020 will be released around June 20.

Yeah and just think how long they could milk extra hard ticket events-which frankly if there was one when we were there I'd seriously think about. Even if it is "packed" at least you'd be guaranteed entry.
Honestly I hope they do something like this. I have never done EMM or DAH but would 100% for SWGE. And it could in theory help spread out crowds.

I wouldn't count on crowds being a whole lot lighter for Spring break 2020 but I could be wrong.

We are going October 4th-11th and praying to GOD it's NOT opening weekend while we are there. In fact, we are praying it doesn't even open until after we leave. No way in hell I want to be a part of that mess. I'll check it out in 3 years or so. We are just now going to Pandora for the first time.

We are going October 4th-11th and praying to GOD it's NOT opening weekend while we are there. In fact, we are praying it doesn't even open until after we leave. No way in hell I want to be a part of that mess. I'll check it out in 3 years or so. We are just now going to Pandora for the first time.

Wouldn't that just make touring plans a lot easier? Oh it opened this week? At least I know where everyone else will be...

Wouldn't that just make touring plans a lot easier? Oh it opened this week? At least I know where everyone else will be...

It's not that simple. When the release date is announced or speculated, people will plan their trips to coincide with those dates. Most people aren't just going to rush down for a one day visit to DHS. They will spend several days at the parks as part of their vacation. That means there will be an increase in crowds at ALL the parks around opening time (and for a very long time afterwards). So while its easy to say "Oh, I dont want to go on opening day" there will be 100,000 other people who plant to be in MK on SGE opening day and then visit SGE on the 2nd day, and so on.

It's not that simple. When the release date is announced or speculated, people will plan their trips to coincide with those dates. Most people aren't just going to rush down for a one day visit to DHS. They will spend several days at the parks as part of their vacation. That means there will be an increase in crowds at ALL the parks around opening time (and for a very long time afterwards). So while its easy to say "Oh, I dont want to go on opening day" there will be 100,000 other people who plant to be in MK on SGE opening day and then visit SGE on the 2nd day, and so on.

The only parallel I can think of is Harry Potter over at Universal, that place was bonkers nuts 2 months after opening when I went for a day in August 2010, at least they had figured out timed entry by that point. Also went for a day in October 2014, and while Universal itself had low(ish) crowds, Diagon Alley and Wizard World were seas of people.

So yeah I don't think GE will be dying out anytime soon....thank god they put it in both US parks.

Last September I booked my November ‘19 (first week) trip not even thinking about GE opening! I’m both hoping and dreading GE opening right before or when I’m there!

I’m a HUGE SW fan so this would be an amazing thing for me as I only make it to WDW once a decade! :rotfl: That being said, OMG, the crowds that will be there! :scared1:

The only parallel I can think of is Harry Potter over at Universal, that place was bonkers nuts 2 months after opening when I went for a day in August 2010, at least they had figured out timed entry by that point. Also went for a day in October 2014, and while Universal itself had low(ish) crowds, Diagon Alley and Wizard World were seas of people.

So yeah I don't think GE will be dying out anytime soon....thank god they put it in both US parks.

And Disneyland will get the brunt of the uberfans on its opening day, for people who truly want to be first to enter the land. While there will be differences, there will be much to learn and apply to the second opening. It is fun to look back at the first opening of the Orlando WWoHP, and to be very glad I missed that! This picture didn't even begin to capture the scene.

theme-park-line.jpg

And Disneyland will get the brunt of the uberfans on its opening day, for people who truly want to be first to enter the land. While there will be differences, there will be much to learn and apply to the second opening. It is fun to look back at the first opening of the Orlando WWoHP, and to be very glad I missed that! This picture didn't even begin to capture the scene.

The unknowns are making it hard to even provide guesstimates for my summer 2020 trip and it is driving me bonkers. By extension it's also driving my family bonkers, I'm the unofficial planner and I've basically said "star wars changes all the rules, I can't manage expectations right now"

The unknowns are making it hard to even provide guesstimates for my summer 2020 trip and it is driving me bonkers. By extension it's also driving my family bonkers, I'm the unofficial planner and I've basically said "star wars changes all the rules, I can't manage expectations right now"
Yes, there will be Disney before SW and after SW :D
For all those planning to come after, just expect ridiculously crowded parks, all of them. Plan for it, visualize it, grab your 3 fp as soon as you're able and just take the plunge.
If it's less crowded than predicted, GREAT. But at least you'll come with real life expectations.
If crowds are a big negative on your Disney day, then by all means try and schedule your trip before November or way after , keep in mind everything else is set to open for the 60th anniversary in 2021 so that will be packed as well.

Yes, there will be Disney before SW and after SW :D
For all those planning to come after, just expect ridiculously crowded parks, all of them. Plan for it, visualize it, grab your 3 fp as soon as you're able and just take the plunge.
If it's less crowded than predicted, GREAT. But at least you'll come with real life expectations.
If crowds are a big negative on your Disney day, then by all means try and schedule your trip before November or way after , keep in mind everything else is set to open for the 60th anniversary in 2021 so that will be packed as well.

I don't care about crowds, it's all the other unknowns, will resorts be so full we'll be paying rack rate FOREVER? I guess I'll tell everyone to budget for rack rate and if discounts actually come out for summer 2020, we'll count our blessings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!